• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the PS4 Pro is a much less capable machine than the Xbox One X. For a mid generational upgrade for enthusiasts the Pro feels really half baked. If they waited a year it would be much better.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev rhetoric is not allowed here. Please read the FAQ.
Probably just Blizzard being lazy asses. I'm sure they could have upped the resolution at least a bit on the Pro.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Do I dare say it? Is Blizzard being a "lazy dev" with their Pro support?

Different engines different requirements on a game to game basis. We don't know if the pro's limitations could cause them to leave it locked 1080p to keep it at 60fps. Is bluepoint lazy devs since shadow of the colossus runs at 1080p 60fps too? 60fps isn't a easy thing to hold

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the PS4 Pro is a much less capable machine than the Xbox One X. For a mid generational upgrade for enthusiasts the Pro feels really half baked. If they waited a year it would be much better.

don't we need to wait for a PS5 launch before we call the Pro half baked? if the PS5 launches in 2019 then it might look fine as a mid-gen refresh.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard's pro support is pathetic. Regardless of parity with X1X, slapping 4K UI on the pro version and calling it a day is a little cheap. Considering how optimized OW is, the pro features are probably the most bare on the system.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic 4k. They still need to reduce resolution to maintain the 60 frames per second. Not news.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These latest offering of console are such a mixed bag.

Battlefield 1 gets a pro patch, x1x is neglected.

Overwatch gets an x1x patch, pro is a half assed attempt.

What the fuck devs?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Pro support was quickly added after the console launched last year, no? It's entirely possible another Pro patch is also in the works, and that the X launch helped justify it.

Bax

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Dynamic 4k. They still need to reduce resolution to maintain the 60 frames per second. Not news.
When people are supposedly spreading misinformation about the game according to Mike. It's kinda news.

EDIT: Send me the link to it being dynamic from a credible source. I would like to check it out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Well the Xbox one X is late and expensive.

Seems silly to make blanket statements with no context.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the pro could be updated, but I blame Sony as much as Blizzard on this one. If they didn't put out such lackluster hardware, it wouldn't be so difficult to put in a small amount of resources to upres to 4K. Now they probably have to implement dynamic resolution scaling, checkerboard, all this shit for a very small percentage of users.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much the dev tools are factoring into these differences, it seems like the biggest thing Microsoft learned from Sony's one year headstart was that the dev tools were maybe a hindrance in getting these updates done and so Microsoft went above and beyond to simplify that process with their dev tools.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Different engines different requirements on a game to game basis. We don't know if the pro's limitations could cause them to leave it locked 1080p to keep it at 60fps. Is bluepoint lazy devs since shadow of the colossus runs at 1080p 60fps too? 60fps isn't a easy thing to hold
The base PS4 sticks mostly to 1080p at 60 in Overwatch. The Pro can definitely do better that but obviously not up to the X standard. Here's hoping Blizzard revisits the Pro in Overwatch at some point.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Probably just Blizzard being lazy asses. I'm sure they could have upped the resolution at least a bit on the Pro.
I don't think it's about lazyness the game already had dynamic resolution on console versions. If anything it was extra work to separate the UI resolution from the main game so they could render the UI in 4k at all times.

My guess is that they couldn't hit a much higher resolution on Pro and decided that it made more visual impact having the UI at 4k. And then, perhaps separating UI from main render broke the resolution scaler which led them to chose sticking it to 1080p so the 60fps was not compromised.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

I would hope they could squeeze something more out on the pro given it is a pretty substantial upgrade over the base PS4. It's true though, the X is a more powerful machine so maybe it was "easy" for them to get it running at dynamic 4K. Maybe I'll buy this game now, lol.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
lol the PS4 Pro GPU is over twice as powerful as the base PS4 GPU. If a developer can't figure out how to use that power to get a higher resolution, it's on the developer, not the console. Slapping a 4K UI on it and calling it a Pro patch is pretty much the definition of a lazy developer.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I got a 4K TV I think I would update to the Xbox One X with the way these ports are turning out

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The Pro is, almost certainly, just not capable of this. The hardware and price difference should be enough for any reasonable person to look at that and not expect the same support or parity across both platforms.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OW should at least be 1440p on the Pro. MS obviously paid for a patch much like they did for TW3 (which is fine, studios need to be taken care of).

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
I'm sure the pro could be updated, but I blame Sony as much as Blizzard on this one. If they didn't put out such lackluster hardware, it wouldn't be so difficult to put in a small amount of resources to upres to 4K. Now they probably have to implement dynamic resolution scaling, checkerboard, all this shit for a very small percentage of users.

Following this logic, we have to blame Nintendo for putting out such lackluster hardware with the Switch, or even Microsoft and Sony with OGs Xbox One and PS4.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The game already uses dynamic res on consoles.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I read somewhere that the Pro uses 2 GPUs (which are the same Gpu as the one used in the Ps⁴, but beefed up, right?)

Does anyone know if Overwatch PC is multi-GPU compatible? Perhap the lack of support on Ps⁴ Pro is because of the engine not supporting multi-gpu, I wonder.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Good news!
I guess the`re going to bump up the resolution on the Pro as well. 1440p should be possible.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
lol the PS4 Pro GPU is over twice as powerful as the base PS4 GPU. If a developer can't figure out how to use that power to get a higher resolution, it's on the developer, not the console. Slapping a 4K UI on it and calling it a Pro patch is pretty much the definition of a lazy developer.

Even at double the power of the PS4, it really shouldn't be hitting 4k on most games unless they want to harm the frame rate.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Pro Update also increased the texture quality and graphics of the game. it's going to be interesting what they gave up to achieve 4K.

Xbox One X probably has a targeted goal for publishers to try and achieve 4k, while Sony might not care about it as much.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
These latest offering of console are such a mixed bag.

Battlefield 1 gets a pro patch, x1x is neglected.

Overwatch gets an x1x patch, pro is a half assed attempt.

What the fuck devs?

How many of you that are saying it's a half assed attempt by blizzard and DICE for battlefield are a actual developers or programmers? You sound ridiculous. If you break your leg are you gonna tell the surgeon that he could've done a better job putting it back together? "6 months of healing time!? Lazy surgeon could've done it in 3 like my friends arm break."

Status
Not open for further replies.