• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A major fire has destroyed a data center of web hosting provider OVH in Strasbourg, France, while severely crippling another, taking many services offline.

News of the catastrophic incident was confirmed by OVH CEO Octave Klaba on Twitter, with a statement on the company's website adding, "We are currently facing a major incident in our DataCenter of Strasbourg with a fire declared in the building SBG2. Firefighters were immediately on the scene but could not control the fire in SBG2. The whole site has been isolated, which impacts all our services on SBG1, SBG2, SBG3 and SBG4."

According to reports, the incident has caused disruptions to several major online services, including cyber threat intelligence company Bad Packets, encryption utility VeraCrypt, news outlet eeNews Europe, cryptocurrency exchange Deribit, and several others.

In an update Klaba shared that while one of the data centers has been completely destroyed, firefighters have managed to restrict the damage to another one.

Thankfully, all staff have been accounted for and are unhurt, and everyone at the site is working to ensure the fire doesn't spread to the third data center.

More at:
www.techradar.com

Europe's large web hosting provider knocked offline following fire

Several websites and online services have been knocked offline following OVH issue

Upgrade if old

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they didn't have a firewall.
giphy.gif

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
That's kind of embarrassing tbh. Protection against fire is one thing that should have very high priority for data centers, yet they lost a whole building? What happened, did a plane drop on the building? At least nobody got hurt it seems.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of embarrassing tbh. Protection against fire is one thing that should have very high priority for data centers, yet they lost a whole building? What happened, did a plane drop on the building? At least nobody got hurt it seems.

Agreed, I gave been in multiple tier 3 data centers. The fire suppression systems are crazy.

I don't understand how something so large was able to happen.

Oct 25, 2017

Just because the building was destroyed doesn't mean there was no suppression system in place. Sometimes fires just rage hard and there's definitely been many corporate or industrial buildings destroyed by fires.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The game Rust apparently lost a lot of data due to this:
www.eurogamer.net

Rust developer warns "large amount of data" lost in devastating server blaze

UPDATE 1.30pm UK: Rust developer Facepunch has released a fresh update on the game's EU servers following last night's …

I always assumed being in the Cloud also meant having the type of failover systems that would seamlessly spin up new servers somewhere else.
it sounds like multiple clusters were destroyed at once. If that includes backups, then yeah it's gone.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I am interested to know how the fire supression failed. Even a small data center I worked on had lots of measures.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of questions there. Data centres usually have world class grid based fire suppression - so for it to get this out of hand, either external influence or a lot of the BMS failed

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I always assumed being in the Cloud also meant having the type of failover systems that would seamlessly spin up new servers somewhere else.
You usually have to pay extra for those services, and design them into your setup.

I remember working for a company, where a DC we used lost power for nearly a day, despite all the redundancy.

The CTO/Founder is providing updates on twitter:

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thankfully many businesses have layers of backup in place.
A few years ago our cloud/server provider had a catastrophic shutdown when their cooling system failed.
Thankfully our bank had a backup to go to in another state, but it still took 6 hours to switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Always figured that most cloud providers had enough redundancy so that if one site was lost, the data would still be available elsewhere.

edit:

Oh yeah, I should probably have known that.

There are also different levels of redundancy, each set up differently and with different levels of cost. Some providers allow you to simply make your data redundant within the DC to protect against a server failing or a drive going kaput. You can also make your data redundant redundant at an availability zone level (so within the same region but at another DC at least x miles away) or you can do something like set up regional redundancy.

These services always cost money - you're basically paying the cloud provider to provide the infrastructure and technicians on your behalf, but you pay them instead of managing the process and costs yourself.

And if you set up redundancy, it doesn't mean the data is always instantaneously copied to all locations. A lot do it on a cadence, so in the event of a flood or fire, it's still likely you lose *some* data if you're collecting it real time.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like the whole building was in a catastrophic state by the time the first fire response units arrived. Someone used the wrong materials if that is the case. Reminds me of that story in the UK of the Apartment fire going up the entire building in minutes due to the exterior building materials.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They announced their IPO like two days ago, worst possible timing for them.

Add me to the pile of surprised people because every data center I've seen always had a ton of fire protections and warning systems.
I always assumed geographical redundancy was built in all their hosting services, apparently it's not.

Anyway, I assume this is gonna make a lot of businesses very wary when choosing cloud hosting providers, considering this one is well regarded.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I used to have a plex server with these dudes cause they were so much cheaper to get a bunch of storage and high number of cores.

Somewhere in a data center my copies of the Rebuild Eva films and entire DBZ series are in flames.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
www.eurogamer.net

UPDATE 1.30pm UK: Rust developer Facepunch has released a fresh update on the game's EU servers following last night's …

So I'm guessing this cloud provider only has one location? Otherwise I don't understand how they could lose all this data. Was there no data replication setup at all at a different location?

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing this cloud provider only has one location? Otherwise I don't understand how they could lose all this data. Was there no data replication setup at all at a different location?

A cloud provider just means you have the option of (usually worldwide) replication. Its on the customers to opt for it, but it usually doubles/triples/etc costs depending on how "cloudy" you want it.

Lots of companies treat cloud providers as just colocation hosts.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Don't put your fire suppression system into the cloud, it will go down when your data center catches fire :(

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
A cloud provider just means you have the option of (usually worldwide) replication. Its on the customers to opt for it, but it usually doubles/triples/etc costs depending on how "cloudy" you want it.

True. It is an option for the client to opt in or out of... I just find it bizarre that a fully online game didn't setup any data replication.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Just because the building was destroyed doesn't mean there was no suppression system in place. Sometimes fires just rage hard and there's definitely been many corporate or industrial buildings destroyed by fires.

But this isn't like a normal office or skyscraper. The systems and precautions that are/should be in place for a data center, especially one of this magnitude, are crazy. We're talking all the way down to the cabling itself being jacketed in fire retardant materials, redundant independent cooling systems, crazy inert gas systems that not only displace oxygen but literally absorb heat, etc. Data centers do not fuck around when it comes to fire, so for them to not only lose a whole building but also have damage to others is shocking to me.

They either skimped on protection, had some major defect in something critical like power line insulation, had multiple redundant system failures, or there was foul play.

Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

"Cloud" just means you aren't personally/physically managing the servers and that you're sharing server HW with other people, "virtually". It doesn't necessarily mean all the physical locations of those servers are geographically spread out, although they usually are

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just started cloud development this past year and this was one of the biggest misconceptions I had about it going in. I always assumed basic redundancy was a given but you really do need to architect your product around it in order to get those benefits and have it be "seamless".

Oct 25, 2017
But this isn't like a normal office or skyscraper. The systems and precautions that are/should be in place for a data center, especially one of this magnitude, are crazy. We're talking all the way down to the cabling itself being jacketed in fire retardant materials, redundant independent cooling systems, crazy inert gas systems that not only displace oxygen but literally absorb heat, etc. Data centers do not fuck around when it comes to fire, so for them to not only lose a whole building but also have damage to others is shocking to me.

They either skimped on protection, had some major defect in something critical like power line insulation, had multiple redundant system failures, or there was foul play.

Was doing some reading on HN and I totally miss understood the levels they use. I was assumed your basic ass fire system but learned of the oxygen one you mentioned.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021

Always assumed every cloud storage has an equal backup elsewhere in a different country. One backup, sure, but equal. Now I'm second guessing moving everything to Google Drive...

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Always assumed every cloud storage has an equal backup elsewhere in a different country. One backup, sure, but equal. Now I'm second guessing moving everything to Google Drive...

Thing is, a datacenter is just a datacenter. It's up to the customers using their services to have backups and redundancy.

A game like Rust? Maybe just in the one building. Maybe they did have backups,but it was on a server in another room.

Someone like google? They have their stuff redundant across the globe

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Was doing some reading on HN and I totally miss understood the levels they use. I was assumed your basic ass fire system but learned of the oxygen one you mentioned.

Yeah, data centers have really specific needs as a normal fire suppression system would cause as much or more damage as the fire would. You need retardants that disperse cleanly with no residue, as they are going to get in and on absolutely everything. There's also strict protocols on foreign materials in a data center (anything fibrous and flammable is a no go, including packaging materials for gear), requirements for detectors in the room itself along with ones above drop ceilings and below raised floors, etc. Of course this varies depending on the place, the scale, and so on, but I would have imagined a company like OVH would be erring on the paranoid side of things given the size of their operation.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this will make our organisation's Directors more keen or less keen to throw all our on-prem stuff at the cloud. Probably both.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I just started cloud development this past year and this was one of the biggest misconceptions I had about it going in. I always assumed basic redundancy was a given but you really do need to architect your product around it in order to get those benefits and have it be "seamless".
dude I was right there with you. It's a steep learning curve and there are no true turn-key solutions. Data centres give you all the options you could dream of, but you need to design everything around it.

Its hard work, but accepting nothing is a given makes you a much better systems designer.
Google Drive is a consumer end-user product, not a cloud hosting provider. Not saying you're 100% guaranteed to avoid problems like this, but its not the same as B2B services.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Depends on the offering. If you host an application in the cloud, the provider will give you options on redundancy (or a lack thereof).

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I can ask again for money to pay for redundancy of our AWS servers tomorrow of it's still a big "no, I'm willing to take the risk":

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
www.eurogamer.net

Yeah, a data storage company with no offsite backups is highly sus.