• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fantano just gave The Big Day a 0/10 so he's got a couple weeks of being ok. this seems in line with that

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Portnoy being a piece of shit isn't new. He's essentially Drew Magary back during the "Kissing Suzy Kolber" days who never grew up and decided to double down on all his frat-boy faux machismo alongside guys like KFC. Their primary source of humor derives from punching down on people and power tripping, but when they're legitimately confronted with actual issues with their brand they end up receding into a blubbering ball of excuses and deflection.

As much as he tries to extend and legitimize his brand through the pizza reviews, attempts to get a show on ESPN, or have his writers go on sports talk radio shows, he or one of his lackies end up screwing things up because they can't help themselves from not attacking rape victims, victims of abuse, making fun of blind people, or insinuating that Latino athletes are underperforming because they're in bed with a cartel, just to name a few. Not to mention their history of stealing content from other people.

Again, this guy, right here, is the face of Barstool Sports.

I have no respect for anyone who wants to do business with this trash.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, none of their employees are looking to unionize. Portnoy knows this, hense why he can get away with a tweet like that.
Yeah looking at his other tweets its looking like he knows this and is just fucking around with people lol. That's kind of the barstool culture though, and its why they have such wild success. They took the "just some bros bantering about sports and other topics" and made it into a fairly big media company

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, none of their employees are looking to unionize. Portnoy knows this, hense why he can get away with a tweet like that.

Yeah there is not really a desire to unionize there.

They pay well (all writers are FTE, paid well and have good healthcare) and they offer unlimited vacations. They also don't fire people. I think one person has been fired in years.

Most of the other media companies treat their writers like contractors who are paid per article and effectively freelance.

As a non-news company (I believe they are positioned as Satire) they have protections from commentary on this.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
it's a pretty good name though? Sports bars are very popular and they're trying to give the vibe of a dive-y sports bar. There's plenty to criticize them for, but this feels like a "look at that bitch eating crackers" complaint

Agreed, I went and checked out what barstool sports is all about and I can see the niche they're going for and would guess it's fairly popular as well. The sad part here is the CEO being a dick is probably going to get them more patronage because people like polarizing assholes like this. I'm willing to bet even more so with their type of fan base.
I also doubt there will be any real blow back for the way this guy is acting. People just don't care as demonstrated by that YouTuber who abused her dog. She lost maybe 1% of her subs and got free name recognition, advertising.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry you think I'm shit for enjoying one of the world's most popular sports podcasts.

Christ this forum is a parody sometimes.

I can happily make a distinction between PMT, which I adore, and the rest of Barstool's content that I don't have any interest in
What about Failing Upwards??? Support the homies!

Still remember the EP with Portnoy on it where they talk about when his ex cheated on him with her Soulcycle instructor.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'm the target demo for that pod. I literally just buy the same pair of trainers over and over again because they fit well and go with most clothes
Ehh there is plenty of content to consume on there without subjecting your self to the other stuff.

I basically just listen to the spitting Chiclets podcast and nothing else.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I went and checked out what barstool sports is all about and I can see the niche they're going for and would guess it's fairly popular as well. The sad part here is the CEO being a dick is probably going to get them more patronage because people like polarizing assholes like this. I'm willing to bet even more so with their type of fan base.
I also doubt there will be any real blow back for the way this guy is acting. People just don't care as demonstrated by that YouTuber who abused her dog. She lost maybe 1% of her subs and got free name recognition, advertising.

So fun fact, Portnoy isn't the CEO. He's a founder and I don't know what his official title and responsibilities within the company now but the actual CEO is decently new.

It was my understanding she was brought in not only because a group of sports fans is probably not the best crew for running a fast growing media company, but also because she can help clean up their image to give them wider appeal.

I think Barstool skirts the line in the same way plenty of comedians do. Sometimes they miss their mark for sure. But their actual content is usually not *that* bad, some exceptions withstanding.

The real cesspool is their fans. The comment sections on their site and on their facebook/insta posts are BRUTAL. Especially with anything with women/politics. I mean any time barstool posts about a remotley political topic with a slightly left leaning bias they get piled on. I wish they would be more courageous and condemn that fan behavior but they got a viewership to upkeep I guess.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
One day a huge sexual harassment lawsuit is going to bring down Barstool and on that day I will celebrate.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remeber when they got and loss a show on espn in one week? They are caterpillar form of the AM sports radio guy that complains about "thug ball"

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man, fuck barstool.

I think unionizing at a site like Bartstool is pretty hard ... they have an incredibly low bar of editorial quality, will basically hire anybody who can generate clicks about pseudo-sports topics, and there is a race to the bottom on paying writers at sites like these because there's just so many sites and willing participants. But, fuck Dave Portnoy.

It's interesting comparing the unionization response between writers at sites like Barstool, and writers/management at sites like The Ringer. While assholes like Portnoy are losing their brains fighting against unionization at their shitty sites, Bill Simmons is meeting with organizers, not making public statements, and -- by all accounts -- looking to come to an agreement. It's another reason why the Ringer is, like, the best sports-centric site/network.

why would you hope that people get sexually abused?

I assume that person thinks that there's a culture of abuse at Barstool and that it'll eventually come out in sexual misconduct allegations. Being an outlet for ironic manly men to do ironic manly man things and objectify women is basically the raison d'etre of the site.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Barstool is trash

As Katz and PFT Commenter's star rises, it's increasingly obvious that the new money and exposure means there's at least an implicit expectation for Barstool and Portnoy to be smarter with their shtick. That means he likely can't call women "ugly dykes" as freely as he once would, or joke about how women who wear size-six jeans deserve to be raped, or continue to defend a now-deleted post titled "Could Serena Williams Rape You?" In fact—though it still has a long way to go—the Barstool culture has changed enough that, after speculating if Harvey Weinstein should be allowed to ask for sex from actresses in exchange for roles in movies, Portnoy was compelled to apologize. Still, Portnoy managed to lament about PC culture run amok in his apology post, and referenced the time he went on TV to defend a rape joke:

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's an 8(a)3 unfair labor practice at the NLRB easily provable thanks to the clear animus and coercive threat from the Employer.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
They pay well (all writers are FTE, paid well and have good healthcare) and they offer unlimited vacations. They also don't fire people. I think one person has been fired in years.

They've fired two writers I know of and breached their contract with Michael Rappaport.

The most recent writer was fired for slut-shaming a missing college student who later turned up dead. The other was fired for an article which essentially was attempting to fat-shame Rihanna. In both instances Portnoy's main thrust for firing them was that they were "unfunny."

This of course doesn't address the fact that the culture of Barstool ferments this kind of shit and it's inevitable that something like this will happen again. The difference is that when lower-ranking writers pull this shit, they get fired so Portnoy can act like he's doing the right thing. When Portnoy or KFC, a guy who cheated on his wife when she was pregnant with their second child, pull that shit, they make a lame apology and deflect.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Fuck it, if I was an employee I would totally hit up that lawyer and inquire about unionization. They have little to lose now that his intentions are clear. I'm sure his lawyers will inform him that the 1+ million they'll spend defending his statements from intent is a lot more then paying off the employee with severance and damages.

Then again, it wouldn't be my first time down this path so I'm biased.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've fired two writers I know of and breached their contract with Michael Rappaport.

The most recent writer was fired for slut-shaming a missing college student who later turned up dead. The other was fired for an article which essentially was attempting to fat-shame Rihanna. In both instances Portnoy's main thrust for firing them was that they were "unfunny."

This of course doesn't address the fact that the culture of Barstool ferments this kind of shit and it's inevitable that something like this will happen again. The difference is that when lower-ranking writers pull this shit, they get fired so Portnoy can act like he's doing the right thing. When Portnoy or KFC, a guy who cheated on his wife when she was pregnant with their second child, pull that shit, they make a lame apology and deflect.
Not disagree with the above. Those were the only two fired. A lot of other "weight" around there could probably be cut but they haven't done it.

They posted their union request.

EB3Xxv3XsAAo1q6

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
also lol at "breaching michael rapaport's contract". the guy was fired for going after the site's fans on twitter.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a surprise to you, but trolling is generally not exactly a great way to run a company and build a healthy work environment.
This might be a surprise to you, but not every company is about suits, ties, and decorum. Trolling and satire is the culture at the company because that is THE BRAND they are selling. And you can have that while still having a healthy work environment. Barstools fans are likely loving what is going on right now.

I wouldn't expect, say the Onion, to have the same culture as the New York Times.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's apparent if you look at his history that he's just having a laugh winding people up. But he is an asshole.
He's also a sexist fuckstick who runs a sexist outlet for sexist fucksticks. It's not just 'trolling.' He's actually a sociopath.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Hm...I clicked a link to a Barstool article last week and had never been there before. I don't remember the article but my only takeaways were 1) that was a waste of time and
2) why is "Grading the Latest Sex Scandal Teacher" an ongoing thing that apparently exists here?
Quality content. Quality leadership.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Man I knew barstool was crap but I didn't realize just how crap until reading this thread. Less like deadspin, more like braindeadspin

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if he is trolling, what kind of dipshit manchild runs a company and "trolls" his employees on Twitter? Did this man not develop emotional maturity past a 3rd grade level?

Mediocre white dude being a mediocre white dude.

Barstool is also literally the worst sports media outlet out. And the sports world has some problematic members to say the least.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Barstool skirts the line in the same way plenty of comedians do. Sometimes they miss their mark for sure. But their actual content is usually not *that* bad, some exceptions withstanding.

The real cesspool is their fans. The comment sections on their site and on their facebook/insta posts are BRUTAL. Especially with anything with women/politics. I mean any time barstool posts about a remotley political topic with a slightly left leaning bias they get piled on. I wish they would be more courageous and condemn that fan behavior but they got a viewership to upkeep I guess.
Why would those in charge of a company condemn people that they agree with?

It's not an issue of courage to confront assholes despite a fear of lost wages.

It's a fundamental alignment with the assholes.

Barstool's fan base is not a happy accident or the result of cynically targeted content from people who just do it for a buck but secretly despise the fan base.

The fan base is Barstool is the fan base. It's the same group of underemployed, angry 18-34 male dipshits.

Oct 29, 2017
Portnoy is a well-piece of shit who doesn't hesitate to approve whatever his edgelord writers pinch out onto a keyboard. I mean, the name "Dave Portnoy" sounds like the name of an Ohio mechanic/Klan member, so he figures he has to live up to it somehow.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely can't believe so many people are biting on this. It's absurd. He's not serious in any way
I'm kinda with you on this. Big Cat is openly considering it on Twitter and he would take a bullet for Portnoy if he had to, so I'm pretty sure they're just being knobs today.

Fun fact: Dave Portnoy is 43 years old.

Edit: yeah they're openly trying to get someone to bite on this. I'm sure Deadspin will answer the call.