• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
How those people ends up at the top of the food chain will aways baffle me.
Because the reality of the world is you have to be an asshole to make it to the top. The kind, generous owner will rarely outpace the owner that is willing to underpay their employees to the skin of their teeth. Part of this is because employee enthusiasm doesn't outweigh the savings in certain sectors, part of it is because of this post-recession/automation economy where low-skill workers do not have any leverage.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda with you on this. Big Cat is openly considering it on Twitter and he would take a bullet for Portnoy if he had to, so I'm pretty sure they're just being knobs today.

Yeah. I mean they are taking calls on pro vs anti union.

So far they want less vacation time (currently unlimited) and better bagels. In general, everyone who works there wants to work there and they are paid very well and taken care of. Trolling gets views.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
Pardon my Take is the only barstool thing that i listen to, and Big Cat and PFT are joking about this on twitter so it does seem like Dave is trolling for attention.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

So far they want less vacation time (currently unlimited) and better bagels. In general, everyone who works there wants to work there and they are paid very well and taken care of. Trolling gets views.

Ehh, I wonder tho. The fratboy/locker room family thing is a big part of their brand and I have a sneaking suspicion if you cornered some of the staff and asked them straight out off the record you would get a different answer.

Toxicity is such a bit part or their brand I can't imagine they magically turn it off when dealing with co-workers

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the reality of the world is you have to be an asshole to make it to the top. The kind, generous owner will rarely outpace the owner that is willing to underpay their employees to the skin of their teeth. Part of this is because employee enthusiasm doesn't outweigh the savings in certain sectors, part of it is because of this post-recession/automation economy where low-skill workers do not have any leverage.
Yup. Assholes get to the top because they want to be. They don't care who it hurts, they usually know that cutting throats is shitty. They just don't care. They look at life like a video game, it's all about the high score. I need to get the high score so I can put my initials on the scoreboard, that way everyone knows I'm a cool guy and smart and strong and have a big penis.

Generally, trolling that risks a state investigation and lawsuits is not good trolling.
but the lulz bro. The lulz and twitter clout were worth it.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't matter whether or not he's trolling now.

All that can happen is that the NLRB file a cease and desist from threatening employees from joining unions. And you must post it for 60 days.

That is literally it. Considering all the traffic that this has generated and the fact that none of the employees want a union this is essentially free advertising.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
Generally, trolling that risks a state investigation and lawsuits is not good trolling.
didn't say it was smart, just that Dave won't actually fire Big Cat for sending a DM to that lawyer guy

Edit: According to another poster, all that can happen is a cease and desist, so actually this stunt is probs mostly free exposure

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I wonder tho. The fratboy/locker room family thing is a big part of their brand and I have a sneaking suspicion if you cornered some of the staff and asked them straight out off the record you would get a different answer.

Toxicity is such a bit part or their brand I can't imagine they magically turn it off when dealing with co-workers

General consensus is that he is an asshole publicly but great privately. He refuses to fire people even if they bring nothing to the table content or view-wise.

People rarely leave as they are given a lot of creative freedom.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Doesn't matter whether or not he's trolling now.

Oh he was just trolling?
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh he was just trolling?
giphy.gif

As I said, the threats of lawsuits are worthless. This is what the NLRB can do:

Employers Interfering with the Organization of Unions

Section 8 (a)(1) restricts employers from interfering with, coercing or restraining any employees in their rights to organize a union or bargain collectively with employers. When an employer has been found to have committed a violation in this area, the NLRB will issue a cease and desist order. The NLRB also will require a notice to be posted for 60 consecutive days at the employer's premises. If an employer has been found to have interfered with the election process—which would decide whether the employees want to be unionized—to the point that the NLRB does not believe a fair election can be held, it may issue a bargaining order. With this order, the election process is stopped and the NLRB directs the employer to negotiate with the union.

Considering the fact that the employees have no intention on joining a union, the above is a slap on the wrist for all the attention he got.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Exactly. And they just got AOC to bite on Twitter, so that's just gasoline on the fire.

Oh well. It kept me entertained on my lunch break and I never got more than 93% triggered reading ignorant anti-union replies so I guess it's a win.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to quote myself from some time ago.

America's way worse off with the Masshole contagion escaping its provincial borders in a part of the country no one but its own residents gave a fuck about and infecting the whole damn country.

Toxic (sports culture) masculinity was a thing all over the country before boston sports fans started making viral internet content

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen a few pizza review videos from them and even I can tell this is him trolling.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Portnoy's right hand man weighs in that it's a troll job.

Portnoy does this shit all the time

He's always railed against the Blue Check Mark brigade (people who push really hard to get verified and continually complain online about them) and he has successfully brought them back out of the woodwork for minimal risk.

Right now the people who hate Barstool are having to come online and post about supporting the rights of the employees at Barstool they also hate.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would those in charge of a company condemn people that they agree with?

It's not an issue of courage to confront assholes despite a fear of lost wages.

It's a fundamental alignment with the assholes.

Barstool's fan base is not a happy accident or the result of cynically targeted content from people who just do it for a buck but secretly despise the fan base.

The fan base is Barstool is the fan base. It's the same group of underemployed, angry 18-34 male dipshits.

From reading some of the articles they post they are willing to skirt the line for sure. But they hold off on going full asshole. Any slightly controversial topic you can tell they tiptoe around and say things like "I'm not saying its one or the other, I'm just an idiot who writes about sports" They play both sides because going to one or the other would not go well for them. They try to be as apolitical as possible.

I do think everyone feeding into this troll, randoms, politicians, and organizations, is just aiding the barstool brand in getting bigger.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm impressed at barstool sports managing to answer the question "what if the guys from always sunny were a website"

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From reading some of the articles they post they are willing to skirt the line for sure. But they hold off on going full asshole. Any slightly controversial topic you can tell they tiptoe around and say things like "I'm not saying its one or the other, I'm just an idiot who writes about sports" They play both sides because going to one or the other would not go well for them. They try to be as apolitical as possible.
Eh, they were full asshole for years.

They've only started skirting the line because they're trying to polish their shit image enough to dodge #cancelculture and all that.

I'm not saying the company is dying to weigh in on political debates but holds back, and, if so, where they would land. It's about the culture and characteristics of their fan base being aligned with who runs that company. It's fratbro shit that mutated in the social media troll era to fratbro shit for dorks: a couple scoops more internet meme libertarian troll shit than what used to be the internet version of a bunch of "guys being dudes" at the Tau house on a Thursday night.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

They've only started skirting the line because they're trying to polish their shit image enough to dodge #cancelculture and all that.

I'm not saying the company is dying to weigh in on political debates but holds back, and, if so, where they would land. It's about the culture and characteristics of their fan base being aligned with who runs that company. It's fratbro shit that mutated in the social media troll era to fratbro shit for dorks.
The company has weighed in on political topics though. Pizzabro has gone on Tucker Carlson before and decried safe spaces.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying the company is dying to weigh in on political debates but holds back, and, if so, where they would land. It's about the culture and characteristics of their fan base being aligned with who runs that company. It's fratbro shit that mutated in the social media troll era to fratbro shit for dorks.

Oh I agree they were assholes for years because for years it truly was a bunch of frat bros in their frat bubble writing content for other frat bros living in their frat bubble.

But at least they are trying to clean it up. Like I said before, nowadays my issues largely isn't with them, its some of the fans. Saturdays are for the Boys flags are just cringey tho

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's generally about it. They aren't able to post any political blogs.

PFT has interviewed a number of the democratic candidates recently, but that is about it.
I mean it's pretty clear where they stand in regards to other social issues too just by reading pretty much any of their posts.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's pretty clear where they stand in regards to other social issues too just by reading pretty much any of their posts.
Sorta

If anything they are just "against being too sensitive" which is seen as a right wing position these days. You won't see any posts with stances on taxes, gay rights, etc. etc. They've called out racists/racist behavior in blogs as well that right wing sites tried to excuse

They'd be against safe spaces and also be against christian influences to "clean up" our culture

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see someone is "just trolling" I always think of the Vonnegut quote from Mother Night: "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

It's the problem with ironically doing anything. Keep doing it and it eventually becomes not ironic.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sorta

If anything they are just "against being too sensitive" which is seen as a right wing position these days. You won't see any posts with stances on taxes, gay rights, etc. etc. They've called out racists/racist behavior in blogs as well that right wing sites tried to excuse

They'd be against safe spaces and also be against christian influences to "clean up" our culture
They're also super pro greek life which means they're pretty fucking awful.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah "it's a prank bro" isn't a valid defense in court

This isn't a court situation. I've already posted the worst case scenario. NLRB files a cease and desist that you hang up for 60 days.

Per the NLRB, this is all they can do.

Remedies

Under its statute, the NLRB cannot assess penalties. The agency may seek make-whole remedies, such as reinstatement and backpay for discharged workers, and informational remedies, such as the posting of a notice by the employer promising to not violate the law.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I know a couple of place that if their employes unionized, they will only put the key on the door and stop operating...

You know Walmart already done it where i'm from... they open another store a couple of years later a little futher....

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
All that can happen is that the NLRB file a cease and desist from threatening employees from joining unions. And you must post it for 60 days.

That is literally it. Considering all the traffic that this has generated and the fact that none of the employees want a union this is essentially free advertising.
Everything Barstool does is for attention. Just ignore them, people.

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Only good thing about barstool is their main IG page that reshares content. Other than that, I'm a recovering Stoolie.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I watch his pizza reviews daily, partly because of it opening up new pizza places and style to me that I otherwise wouldn't see(been eating a lot more local places that I had never heard of since I started seeing his reviews) but it's clear and I am absolutely not shocked that he's an absolute piece of shit. He's a piece of shit in the reviews.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only good thing about barstool is their main IG page that reshares content. Other than that, I'm a recovering Stoolie.

Does anyone actually go to www.barstoolsports.com?

I also mainly follow their IG/FB/Twitter and the only time I get onto their actual website is when an FB headline looks interesting and I'll click in to it.

I checked their site now and its like a new blog goes up every 5 minutes.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I liked one of their videos on Instagram years ago and started getting a bunch of conservative bullshit on my news feed so they got blocked fast. Not surprised they're pieces of shit.

Last edited: