• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This motherfucker is in his 40s!?

Is him acting like a fratbro some type of midlife crisis?

You clearly don't know what Barstool Sports is

Lol, everyone is getting worked by Portnoy AGAIN, and now all the usual sites are going to put out anti barstool stories to cash in on this and they are going to get a huge boost in traffic. I think he knows what hes doing

Of course he does, the guy is a professional troll

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. This is like when people used to get pissed off at Howard Stern for being a dumbass.

Barstool was never going to unionize and the only reason it came up was a guy tweeting about it. It's quite honestly a completely fabricated outrage issue and the only people that win are Barstool and everyone who doesn't play. The fact that AOC took the bait is sad to me. Like, do some research and save your fights for where they're worth having. Asking a bunch of 30 year old frat guys living in NYC-- who think Old School is the modern guide to success-- to suddenly stop being Republican tools because YOU TWEETED SO GOOD is asinine.

I'm sure she just saw AFL and other labor groups treating it seriously and responded because of that. I doubt she has any idea what Barstool is.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
He always came across as a giant dick during his reviews, so this is no real surprise.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So I hear their ads on Sirius but don't know shit about barstool radio/sports. What's the deal with them?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Loved the pizza reviews but never followed anything else from them. What a fucking scumlord. A boss that instills fear in their workers are on one of the lowest rungs of the ladder as far as society goes.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I think the only real constants in life are that the rich should be eaten and there will always be bootlickers to cry "it's just a prank bro"

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This guy is an absolute twat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My patreon dollars being put to good use!

Won't matter. Employees would need to ultimately file the charge and they are publicly making videos about the entire situation and what they would want in a union.

Again, the NLRB can only file a cease and desist and require it be posted for 60 days in your office. That is is. They cannot do anything more in this situation.

This is from their own website. Stop acting like there is some massive punishment he will get.

Apparently they pay better than most other websites in NYC and all employees are FTEs with great healthcare, unlimited vacation and a number of other benefits. The fact that people think the employees there want a union and are being suppressed is absurd.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Won't matter. Employees would need to ultimately file the charge and they are publicly making videos about the entire situation and what they would want in a union.

Again, the NLRB can only file a cease and desist and require it be posted for 60 days in your office. That is is. They cannot do anything more in this situation.

This is from their own website. Stop acting like there is some massive punishment he will get.

Apparently they pay better than most other websites in NYC and all employees are FTEs with great healthcare, unlimited vacation and a number of other benefits. The fact that people think the employees there want a union and are being suppressed is absurd.

Unlimited vacation can actually be terrible depending on the employer. There's no accrual, no payout for unused days, and people end up using less because usage is frowned upon.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlimited vacation can actually be terrible depending on the employer. There's no accrual, no payout for unused days, and people end up using less because usage is frowned upon.

Fair point. One of the "fake" complaints for the union is to cap vacation days at 100 as unlimited is too many.

In general, the unlimited vacation has worked well because it has let a bunch of employees experiment with new things without having to take vacation days for it. For the most part, they are looking to produce content and some of them leave the office for quite awhile experimenting with ideas and its not called vacation and they get paid.

From what I've seen, the employees there take quite a bit of vacation and some of them will keep posting while out. When the boss takes the entire month of August off its hard not to take a vacation.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What do you mean apparently? Do you have a source for all this? Also, unlimited vacation, what about the length of paid vacations? Presumably they can't just be on vacation indefinitely whilst still getting paid. Also what other benefits? This post of yours is extremely vague with no sourcing whatsoever.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said that, and of course nothing will happen because America has shit labor rights.
Maybe try to actually read a post before responding to it next time :)

This was more of a comment to everyone including Matt. In general the internet is hoping for this massive charge that will take him down when in reality its not the case. NLRB only has any teeth once a union is up.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair point. One of the "fake" complaints for the union is to cap vacation days at 100 as unlimited is too many.

In general, the unlimited vacation has worked well because it has let a bunch of employees experiment with new things without having to take vacation days for it. For the most part, they are looking to produce content and some of them leave the office for quite awhile experimenting with ideas and its not called vacation and they get paid.

From what I've seen, the employees there take quite a bit of vacation and some of them will keep posting while out. When the boss takes the entire month of August off its hard not to take a vacation.
You been going to bat real hard

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The only good thing about Barstool is Pardon My Take and I wish those guys would go somewhere else so I could support them more. Barstool can burn to the ground for all I care.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean apparently? Do you have a source for all this? Also, unlimited vacation, what about the length of paid vacations? Presumably they can't just be on vacation indefinitely whilst still getting paid. Also what other benefits? This post of yours is extremely vague with no sourcing whatsoever.
I would need to find the prior comments on pay, but in general its one of the reasons that they have continued to attract talent. If you get over the stigma and the culture you pay well and get great healthcare.

I believe all the vacations are paid as the employees are salaried.

RE: Healthcare multiple comments around this but here is a recent hire who was previously a health insurance broker.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You been going to bat real hard
I'm just pointing out what they themselves are saying about the situation. If pointing out the public facing comments of people there rather than the perspective of people who don't work there and have no info is going to bat then so be it.

This entire thing was a massive troll (they broadcast the entire thing on the radio including workshopping the tweets) and all its done is get a ton of free advertising and get a bunch of people riled up about a company they don't work for. The entire company is leaning hard into it and the media is eating it up like a controversy. This thread and all the media about it is exactly what they wanted. I saw some ad person post that they had over 1.1 billion impressions yesterday which would typically require a $20M ad buy.

From their perspective, its getting people who hate Barstool and its employees to defend Barstool's employees rights against the company they hate.

https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-employees-organize-to-smooch-their-boss-1837212788

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would need to find the prior comments on pay, but in general its one of the reasons that they have continued to attract talent. If you get over the stigma and the culture you pay well and get great healthcare.

I believe all the vacations are paid as the employees are salaried.

RE: Healthcare multiple comments around this but here is a recent hire who was previously a health insurance broker.

So you assumed the vast majority of their employees get paid better than average based on this one vague tweet from a single employee? I mean really? One employee and an unclear tweet is all you need to conjure up a narrative around average pay at the company?

With regards to healthcare, I'd like to actually see details of the healthcare before speaking on it, but given their employee pool looks to be relatively youthful compared to many other companies out there, I can see how that could have insurance benefits just from a financial and logistics perspective, since they're likely to potentially be lower risk.

Also, if things really are so cozy, there should be even less fear of unionising, and also threatening against it too.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've only blocked a few accounts on twitter. Anyone associated with Barstool and President Trump. Good company, that. I don't care if he's playing this shit up for laughs, it's still toxic, and I hope he's held accountable.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is my main takeaway from this.

Show me an employee who genuinely hates working there and/or wants to unionize and I'll change my tune.

I feel like getting employee support to unionize when things are good would be a very tough ask. Is that common? I've only ever heard of unions being formed out of a need rather than some sort of "Hey things at this job are really great, lets unionize to make sure it stays that way just to be safe"

But its funny how big of a disconnect is between the actual employees of this company and the internet reactions. Especially the ones saying he "trolled his way into a lawsuit" lol

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Why would those in charge of a company condemn people that they agree with?

It's not an issue of courage to confront assholes despite a fear of lost wages.

It's a fundamental alignment with the assholes.

Barstool's fan base is not a happy accident or the result of cynically targeted content from people who just do it for a buck but secretly despise the fan base.

The fan base is Barstool is the fan base. It's the same group of overemployed, angry 18-34 male dipshits.
FTFY, since I'm quite sure that Barstool has the same failson fanbase that Total Frat Move built its brand on before collapsing.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if things really are so cozy, there should be even less fear of unionising, and also threatening against it too.

I'm just going off what they say.

Again, they aren't worried about unionizing at all which is the entire point. The entire thing spun up because a retweeted article got an journalist to try and convince the employees to unionize.

It has spawned these types of articles.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bars...-smokes-dedication-to-the-teamportnoy-cause-2

The only people taking any of this seriously are the people who don't work there.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This motherfucker is in his 40s!?

Is him acting like a fratbro some type of midlife crisis?
You clearly don't know what Barstool Sports is
30 year old dudes love to defend Barstool. They just love it and want to defend it constantly.
I've personally observed that some people never emotionally mature past the age of 13. I mean, ever.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

image0.png

image0.png

He justifies the whole existence of unions with his own anti-union tweet.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Portnoy is a shitbag, but there's no doubt he's borderline brilliant and prescient in new media and the promotion and growth of Barstool. It's hard to see where the facade ends and this is clearly part of that, at this point.

The case I'm much more interested is seeing what happens with The Ringer, whose writers recently announced a Union. Bill Simmons hasn't publicly recognized the union or commented to this point and I have less confidence in the financial position of the Ringer vs. Barstool, plus the Ringer has a ton of very talented writers on staff.

I believe that's actually what brought this attention on Barstool - I think they may have commented on that.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've personally observed that some people never emotionally mature past the age of 13. I mean, ever.

Well yea, that's the type of dude who runs Barstool lol

and the people who work for Barstool and consume Barstool

It's funny that the people who don't know what Barstool is think this is remotely serious or that people within Barstool were actually looking to unionize.

Also just found this on youtube

Basically the people most caught up in this have zero idea what Barstool even is or the type of people who work there. I guess that's the internet for you

My patreon dollars being put to good use!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt any of the non 'big name' people around there would comment publicly about this, which is why you see only support from employees.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm confused for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that I didn't think Artie Lange was capable of cleaning up that nicely

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
People are learning jobs can be great to/for employees without union pressure/influence.