• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just pointing out what they themselves are saying about the situation. If pointing out the public facing comments of people there rather than the perspective of people who don't work there and have no info is going to bat then so be it.

This entire thing was a massive troll (they broadcast the entire thing on the radio including workshopping the tweets) and all its done is get a ton of free advertising and get a bunch of people riled up about a company they don't work for. The entire company is leaning hard into it and the media is eating it up like a controversy. This thread and all the media about it is exactly what they wanted. I saw some ad person post that they had over 1.1 billion impressions yesterday which would typically require a $20M ad buy.

From their perspective, its getting people who hate Barstool and its employees to defend Barstool's employees rights against the company they hate.

https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-employees-organize-to-smooch-their-boss-1837212788

Please people, stop falling for their incessant stupidity. It's what they want. Good Lord.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any of the non 'big name' people around there would comment publicly about this, which is why you see only support from employees.
?

There isn't any support from employees. The employees are the ones making fun of it. They filled the site with joke videos on it today. The employees are the ones saying that the best part of this is that none of them want a union and the only ones who want it are people who don't work there.

The big name people (the ones with equity) spent all day yesterday joking about it on the radio. All those clips are online.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
?

There isn't any support from employees. The employees are the ones making fun of it. They filled the site with joke videos on it today. The employees are the ones saying that the best part of this is that none of them want a union and the only ones who want it are people who don't work there.

The big name people (the ones with equity) spent all day yesterday joking about it on the radio. All those clips are online.

That's my point. The big name people are talking about it but you're not hearing anything from just the average worker there, and I doubt you will.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. The big name people are talking about it but you're not hearing anything from just the average worker there, and I doubt you will.

I'm saying both are talking about it. The non big name people have been coming out in droves saying they don't want one. They are the ones saying how absurd this is because they don't want one.

No one there ever said they wanted one. This started because a reporter asked them to start one and Dave responded.

The Mollusk

May 13, 2019
I'm saying both are talking about it. The non big name people have been coming out in droves saying they don't want one. They are the ones saying how absurd this is because they don't want one.

No one there ever said they wanted one. This started because a reporter asked them to start one and Dave responded.

Well its a good thing no one there wants union representation because they're not allowed to have one. They'd be fired.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually going to apply to this place.

Not anymore :I
I don't understand this sentiment. Were you not aware of barstool and their style of comedy/content before wanting to apply?

I mean, if you get the job you won't be in a union. But on the other hand you will get, what seem like, great pay and benefits.

But to me the more important thing for joining a team like that is if you can get along with their schtick/culture because it def does not seem for everyone.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Portnoy is a massive shithead and Barstool is largely trash, but I'm going to have to agree with the narrative that he's simply trolling for attention/exposure/content. It's pretty much his MO, and every employee that has spoken up thus far seems to be relishing in all the bullshit.

It's not a good look no matter how you slice it, but thats pretty much the Barstool brand.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this sentiment. Were you not aware of barstool and their style of comedy/content before wanting to apply?

I mean, if you get the job you won't be in a union. But on the other hand you will get, what seem like, great pay and benefits.

But to me the more important thing for joining a team like that is if you can get along with their schtick/culture because it def does not seem for everyone.

Nope. I'm kind of in a place where I can't be picky about job availability. If I look up the culture of every company I apply to and find that some of them are probably not for me culture-wise I'll probably never find a job.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The mark of a mark is when you know its a work and you can't admit you got worked

I'm a mark, but not even that much of a mark

The Mollusk

May 13, 2019
Portnoy is a massive shithead and Barstool is largely trash, but I'm going to have to agree with the narrative that he's simply trolling for attention/exposure/content. It's pretty much his MO, and every employee that has spoken up thus far seems to be relishing in all the bullshit.

It's not a good look no matter how you slice it, but thats pretty much the Barstool brand.

What incentive does an employee have to speak up in a contrarian way? He has sent the underlying message that he won't tolerate organization, and so he can effectively chill anyone who might ever think about speaking up about work issues, while getting to pass it off as trolling.

And just like the WWE, he has a built-in audience willing to defend it, whether they agree with it, or just want to continue to justify the entertainment they get out of it without feeling shitty about supporting it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I can't stand portnoy or barstool and what they stand for, but lmao at how hard he played people on this. Brilliant advertising.

Nov 1, 2017
Every time I happen upon a Barstool tweet, it reminds me of when I'd walk past a frat house in college. Like, I don't fully understand what's going on in there but whatever it is it's not for me.

Last edited:

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
What incentive does an employee have to speak up in a contrarian way? He has sent the underlying message that he won't tolerate organization, and so he can effectively chill anyone who might ever think about speaking up about work issues, while getting to pass it off as trolling.

And just like the WWE, he has a built-in audience willing to defend it, whether they agree with it, or just want to continue to justify the entertainment they get out of it without feeling shitty about supporting it.

I don't think you're wrong, it's a perfectly valid concern that Portnoy is being serious, and he's exactly the kind of scumbag that would pull something like that.

But just going off whats been presented in the thread so far, the employees that have actually spoken don't seem to have any desire to unionize, and they're seemingly in on the joke.

The lack of any contrarian takes from employees is somewhat concerning I agree, and in all honesty this whole thing could either be a serious threat, a total joke, or a bit of both. I'm still leaning troll for the time being, a shitty thing to troll about though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
update:

Barstool Sports Settles With Labor Board Over Anti-Union Tweets

looks like the company had to pay out for the anti-union comments
Barstool Sports, Inc.—owned by investment firm the Chernin Group—didn't admit fault for violating the National Labor Relations Act as part of the settlement, but it will notify employees of their right to unionize by email and physical postings. Notices of federal labor rights will be displayed for at least 60 days in Barstool Sports' New York headquarters and its satellite offices in Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Watertown, Mass.

Basically nothing happened ...