• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

elcome to the newly relaunched IGN Unfiltered, my monthly interview series where I sit down with the best, brightest, and most fascinating minds in the video game industry. I'm back with a brand-new bar/arcade set – complete with a working beer tap! My guest this month is Sean Krankel, the creator of Oxenfree and the upcoming Afterparty. In this interview, Sean discusses his unique journey into game development, starting with a job on a late-'90s Aaron Spelling teenage soap opera (during which time he threw up in Spelling's bowling alley), working at Disney, and eventually setting up Night School Studio with his cousin and bringing Oxenfree (and now Afterparty) to life – including how Xbox Game Pass has been a boon to his studio's success.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thought this was a remarkable stat. Great to hear stories of developers being successful, and Oxenfree is a great game. More to the point, it shows us how crucial Xbox Game Pass is as a service, allowing more games into the hands of more people. It's clear now that Microsoft's focus on Game Pass brings substantial benefits to both consumers and developers alike.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, so this is why Afterparty is in hell. Gamepass killed gaming after all.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Great news for them - really enjoyed Oxenfree on the Switch. Looking forward to Afterparty as well - is that coming to Gamepass at launch?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of them and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's a fascinating and compelling game with a uniqueim time-sensitive conversation mechanic and a very enjoyable story. Looking forward to Afterparty.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
3 million downloads is a lot, especially with all the good games on Game Pass. There is quite some competition for indies on the service.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, thats amazing. I love that all these Single Player games get so much more exposure on Xbox in this Multiplayer Age.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that they still signed an exclusive deal with Epic for the PC version, despite that massive success. I would have liked to see Afterparty being available, on the same stores at Oxenfree was, at launch.,

Hopes to see it added to the PC Gamepass list as well later on, so that I can try it as well.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I've played Oxenfree on GOG, what a great game. So hyped for Afterparty, but I will probably wait for PC release on Steam or GOG.

Oct 27, 2017
They have given this game away a lot in the past few years. I own it on Steam, GOG and EGS and I've never paid a dime for it!

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every game on Xbox Game Pass is paid up front.

I'm starting to see the egalitarian nature of subscription services. Upfront pay is highly attractive (EGS can attribute), and 'buffet' gaming means that you can engage without the burden of sunk cost. Yes, consumers may lose, but this model could be friendlier to crunch standards because marketing deadlines are basically eliminated.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the 3 million was from the Epicgames store

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well then grats on the...exposure

I think developers prefer this method. It offers security and gives developers/publishers room to negotiate. The Spotify-model isn't something I'd like to see in the gaming space.

www.eurogamer.net

What developers think of Xbox Game Pass

Subscription gaming services such as Xbox Game Pass, EA Access and PlayStation Now have become a good deal for players …

Microsoft's current model doesn't benefit GaaS-games. It does benefit indie games like these, because MS is paying for the license, not for the usage.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best drunk purchase I've ever made. Played through the game over a weekend while tryna get over the flu after leaving the game untouched on my switch for months. I was NOT expecting a supernatural twist in the slightest. That had me glued to the game for the rest of my time on Edwards Island.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's a great game that would probably never had bought, looking forward to Afterparty on Game Pass next.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, the 3 mil + through gamepass quote is directly followed with "and other giveaways" which is what it was on Epic. Presumably the bulk was on Game Pass, but stop quoting some person like you got some gotcha on em when you yourselves are not even reading what the quote is.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
??? The 3+ million downloads through game pass you mean ?

Those three million are Xbox Game Pass + giveaways. Hypothetically it could be 100k Game Pass and 2.9 million from giveaways. That's probably not the case, as Oxenfree is one of the most successful games on Xbox Game Pass. But it could be possible, since he's vague about it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Weird to lump the GamePass numbers as giveaways when the service isn't free and they got paid for it.

At least in EGS it was free for every user so the freebie description fits better.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what? It literally says 3 million from gamepass and other giveaways. Epicgames store would be part of that other

You're right, i missed the giveaway part, apologies. Still dont think much came from it considering how late it was compared to others and the limited time frame in which was being given (March 21st, 2019 - April 4th, 2019 ) compared to oxenfree which is on GP for a long time

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Great news. I loved the game, bought it on three different platforms. Can't wait for Afterparty.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Those three million are Xbox Game Pass + giveaways. Hypothetically it could be 100k Game Pass and 2.9 million from giveaways. That's probably not the case, as Oxenfree is one of the most successful games on Xbox Game Pass. But it could be possible, since he's vague about it.

You interpretation makes sense to me but why does he tried to clarify a statement and in fact made it more unclear. maybe he wasn't allowed to say that ?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I bought it new on Steam and will be downloading it from Game Pass for a replay. Delightful game, glad to see there's an audience for it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Incredible game, 100% deserved.

Since Afterparty will be kinda different, i hope some other dev or even NSS in the future do something similar with that dynamic dialogue system in Oxenfree.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
But, as often reported, Gamepass increases sales of games that are in it - so it 100% has an influence on sales. Which means "not necessarily a consequence of Gamepass" is wrong

Gamepass can have a positive effect on sales for games that are on Game Pass. It is by no means a general rule and there is now, with Gears 5, a clear case where the opposite is true. Oxenfree's sales may be influenced positively (or negatively) by Game Pass. Primarily Oxenfree's sales will have nothing to do with it.

This notion that Game Pass is going to increase sales for developers in the long run is dangerously optimistic.

Oct 27, 2017
If the "some other giveaways" includes Games With Gold (the game was included in september 2017) and things like being free on the Epic Games Store, that really doesn't tell us much about the Game Pass part.

Huge yay for the million copies sold though, big fan of the game, bought it on Xbox One at launch then PS4 after.