• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Wasn't this on gold at some point? I played it and it was a curious, yet short-lived mystery game. At any rate, it's good to see XGP having a number put against one of its games.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing for them! Oxenfree was a great game and I'm looking forward to Afterparty!

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Played it on Game Pass. Liked it. Don't know if I would pay that much for it, but it was a pretty pleasant experience overall.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Always good to see an indie success story. I enjoyed it on Switch -- great atmosphere -- but I didn't love it. I remember either having to wait around for dialogue to finish, or accidentally skipping it by going into a new area...something along those lines...I just remember it was frustrating for a game literally all about talking.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
It's the first and only "success" story we hear from an indie about Gamepass, but his statement is very convoluted.

It's clear that the game sold a million, but the rest of the statement can be interpreted in many ways.

The posts here are convoluted as well. Gamepass does not automatically raise the sales of games, obviously, on the contrary. The exposure at Gamepass could raise awareness, but it devalues a game likewise. Something that can be had for free in one place is hard to sell on other places.

Gamepass is a dangerous place for Indies.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had it in my Switch backlog for ages now. I'm starting to feel pretty annoyed with myself that I haven't gotten around to it.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was a remarkable stat. Great to hear stories of developers being successful, and Oxenfree is a great game. More to the point, it shows us how crucial Xbox Game Pass is as a service, allowing more games into the hands of more people. It's clear now that Microsoft's focus on Game Pass brings substantial benefits to both consumers and developers alike.

Why does gamepass make so many normal people turn into creepy PR robots? What is this post?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Weird to lump the GamePass numbers as giveaways when the service isn't free and they got paid for it.

At least in EGS it was free for every user so the freebie description fits better.
They still got paid for that too. Is no difference.

Was also on gwg so that is prob a big chunk also.

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Congrats to the developer. Reaching 4 million people with their creation must feel amazing.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I imagine MS will have some plan to push Game Pass in a big way just before Scarlet is released.. I hope they go all out.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers but I'm madly curious how few played it with Gold if Game Pass is singled out as the driver behind 3 million. It was made available to Gold subscribers for "free" before it came to Game Pass. Maybe Gold really is about paying for multiplayer and no one actually plays the games? I played it on Gold myself. A really unique gem.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
It is by no means a general rule and there is now,
Phil Spencer said it's a general rule:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Phil Spencer: Game Pass leads to more game sales

This past weekend's X018 event was, arguably, a two-hour long advertisement for Game Pass, and given what Microsoft gam…

And for Gears 5: Maybe for physical (which is slowly dying anyway) - but as we don't have a hard number for the Microsoft Store you don't have a source to back that up. Or where do you get the feeling the opposite is true?

EDIT: Source for physical dying faster for Microsoft/Xbox: From Daniel Ahmad "We're now at a point where packaged sales in the UK for Microsoft titles are a tiny amount and no longer important. Digital Download and Game Pass are the majority by far."

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
www.gamesindustry.biz

This past weekend's X018 event was, arguably, a two-hour long advertisement for Game Pass, and given what Microsoft gam…

And for Gears 5: Maybe for physical (which is slowly dying anyway) - but as we don't have a hard number for the Microsoft Store you don't have a source to back that up. Or where do you get the feeling the opposite is true?

EDIT: Source for physical dying faster for Microsoft/Xbox: From Daniel Ahmad "We're now at a point where packaged sales in the UK for Microsoft titles are a tiny amount and no longer important. Digital Download and Game Pass are the majority by far."

Didn't Gears 5 do terribly on Steam? Or are you actually implying that PC gamers use the Microsoft Store?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

www.gamesindustry.biz

I have no idea how/why you can read that article and think that it outlines a general rule that games sell better if they are on gamepass than otherwise. Game Pass can lead to an increase in sales, particularly while Game Pass is new, but it defies all logic to believe that it is going to happen in the long run for most games. It contradicts what we can see from all other similar services.

You should have kept reading that thread.

"Whilst UK packaged software + full game downloads of Gears 5 are much lower than prior entries..."

This belief that Game Pass is going to defy economic gravity needs to die. If Game Pass takes off it will soften game sales in the vast majority of cases. Game Pass will still be a successful venture for Microsoft and for most games on it in my opinion, but it's not going to add revenue via subscription without reducing it via sales in general.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So the 3 million includes "some other giveaways".

I was thinking this was entirely about Game Pass, but that number includes Twitch Prime and Epic Game Store. I wonder what the breakdown is for downloads and sales?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You get 20% off of games that are in GP if you're subscribed so I'm sure a few people purchased it as well.

20% off is nothing for a lot of those games.

While I can see people taking the plunge on something with super long legs like Forza Horizon 4, I believe Game Pass eats into sales overall. There's literally no incentive for someone to buy what they're already paying for full access to. It makes absolutely no sense, and Gears's poor Steam performance is proof of that.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
All the devs that went with GamePass seem to be really happy with their games' performance which is awesome. Plus all the new fans that come with getting to play the game for free.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thought this was a remarkable stat. Great to hear stories of developers being successful, and Oxenfree is a great game. More to the point, it shows us how crucial Xbox Game Pass is as a service, allowing more games into the hands of more people. It's clear now that Microsoft's focus on Game Pass brings substantial benefits to both consumers and developers alike.

do you mind disclosing how much money Phil Spencer gave you to say good things about gamepass ?

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Why does gamepass make so many normal people turn into creepy PR robots? What is this post?
Lol nah man, I just like success stories. I like to see people doing well, more so than the service. I know there's debate around here about whether or not Game Pass is good for developers and I figured the tweet goes a long way in addressing that

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another success story from an indie dev because of gamepass. Not only gamepass but it's the major one mentioned. Looking forward to hear more of that in the future.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Gears 5 do terribly on Steam? Or are you actually implying that PC gamers use the Microsoft Store?

Why buy through Steam when you can play for a couple of dollars with Gamepass?

Isn't that how you played the game? I remember you constantly mentioning it, odd that you'd think others wouldn't do the same when it was cheap.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why buy through Steam when you can play for a couple of dollars with Gamepass?

Isn't that how you played the game? I remember you constantly mentioning it, odd that you'd think others wouldn't do the same when it was cheap.

The conversation was about Gamepass increasing retail sales. Which obviously wasn't really the case with Gears 5.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The conversation was about Gamepass increasing retail sales. Which obviously wasn't really the case with Gears 5.

You say this like it's fact, when it's anything but.

From the PAL charts, we've see the game hold surprisingly well with very small week on week drops. The US charts will give an indiication of how well it's doing there and if it's seeing similar holds, but either way, it's far too early to make definitive claims either way.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
So the 3 million includes "some other giveaways".

I was thinking this was entirely about Game Pass, but that number includes Twitch Prime and Epic Game Store. I wonder what the breakdown is for downloads and sales?

And it had giveaway on GoG too. (And Steam in very limited amount, if you want to count that).

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I just heard about this game on a podcast. So apparent the dev came back and said that it wasn't all gamepass downloads but free giveaways from other download service's as well? The messaging on this is confusing. Can anyone help me out here? Was it all 3 million on game pass or was this combined with all other services?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I claimed it on Epic Games Store, had to google to remember what game it was. It's not something I'd play but it's good they are very successful.