• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much the same story as Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2.

I don't really understand what is going on behind the scenes at Epic with regards to this sale.

I don't understand why they couldn't just opt out of the sale and continue to be available at the regular price.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
not included, not included.....double negative means a positive?

So its included?

Oh thats the name of the game....lmao

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining that quite a few devs liked the idea that EGS wouldn't have huge sales like Steam and they're not pleased with this.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

I don't really understand what is going on behind the scenes at Epic with regards to this sale.

I don't understand why they couldn't just opt out of the sale and continue to be available at the regular price.

The store might not be able to do a per game discount and only offer a store wide discount. And seeing as how we now know some developers were unaware of the sale, those who didn't want to be a part of it only had one choice: to remove their game from sale.

Epic needs to spend more of its v-bucks on store features and less on money-hatting games. They clearly weren't ready for a sale of all things.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine devs being pissed off if they weren't notified about this sale. Even if epic eats the cost of the sale, it reduces the perceived value of the product.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I got this for $8.50 or something like that earlier today. Epic is definitely going to have to do something about this quickly.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never has a boycott been this rewarding. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Seriously though, don't support these scummy practices.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish I'd have grabbed the game while it was on sale, but wasn't sure at the time.

Don't think I want it enough to pay the normal ÂŁ15 price though. :/

okay

Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining that quite a few devs liked the idea that EGS wouldn't have huge sales like Steam and they're not pleased with this.
It's not that. This is a sale subsidized by Epic.

The devs aren't setting it as X% off, Epic is literally removing ten dollars from every game over 14.99 which greatly affects the perceived value of those games launching at 15-20 dollar price points - because they can now be had for 5-10 dollars, a price they may not normally see for years. So it has potential to hurt their sales even if Epic is covering the cost

I understand why they might be upset, but man it doesn't look good to the consumer if you are Paradox, Klei or Supergiant right now

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Even when Epic does something good they find a way to mess it up
Care to explain how Epic messed this one up?

Happy to see Epic falling on their faces. Competition is good, their ineptitude is peerless.
Epic told companies they were doing a sale, they are paying for the discount, and this is ineptitude...? I understand if companies don't want their games discounted to affect how some users might value their title, but having a sale is normal (people LOVED steam because of that), and Epic is doing the same but still paying devs the original amount of money instead of just the discounted one.

Again, how should they have handled this? I agree Epic has done a few bad moves, but this one isn't. At least it shouldn't from our point of view as users, which is how everybody keeps evaluating Epic (ie. they care about publishers but not users cry).

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They put the discount on every item. As in blanket discount which is why VM2 is off the store as well. The store does not have a discount system for specific titles. It sounds like they are literally sql injecting their db to make these store entries too.

Epic needs to fix their shit

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Not discussing the sale with some devs before going live.

Not having a feature for games to opt-out of the sale, forcing devs to remove games from the store if they don't want to participate.

Allowing devs to raise prices during a sale which is illegal in the EU.

Using a flat $10 US discount and not a % discount causing some games to be super, super cheap (50-70% off) in certain regions.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
They put the discount on every item. As in blanket discount which is why VM2 is off the store as well. The store does not have a discount system for specific titles. It sounds like they are literally sql injecting their db to make these store entries too.

Im pretty sure they do have discount systems for specific titles. There are a lot of games with different discounts. The problem here is that Epic provided a further 10$ discount from their own share of the money, which did indeed seem to activate for every game in the store above 14,99$, which not all publishers seemed to have been aware of or happy with. Has nothing to do with Epic not being able give different games different discounts.

They were probably thinking "Eh, it comes from our end, so why would anyone be mad about this" which is an insanely ignorant position to take, though? There are contracts and stuff. Obviously every other digital and retail partner they were going to publish on would be like "YO, what the fuck?".

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, I could've sworn I saw it on the store and on sale earlier today. Might be mistaken tho. So messy.

That makes three now: this, VTM Bloodlines 2, and all of Ubisoft's games have had their store pages hidden.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aTmvAGO.png

Bought at the right time it seems. Is the problem here these Early Access games were intending to increase their price when the full game launches but now a huge amount of people have bought the game at the Early Access price so they've effectively lost out of a bunch of revenue.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the legitimacy of sales impacting perceived value it seems almost certain that because it was available at a discount for a while thats only going to exacerbate the feeling of "missing out" on the "deal".

Never has a boycott been this rewarding. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Seriously though, don't support these scummy practices.

The "scummy practices" in this case being Epic giving everyone a flat tenner off games? The monsters.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Epic needs to fix their shit
Not discussing the sale with some devs before going live.

Not having a feature for games to opt-out of the sale, forcing devs to remove games from the store.

Allowing devs to raise prices during a sale which is illegal in the EU.

Using a flat $10 US discount and not a % discount causing some games to be super, super cheap (50-70% off) in certain regions.
I see. That was indeed a mistake. Though it seems to be just a couple companies out of the many they got in their store. No opt-out for the sale sucks indeed.

But now that they are benefiting the users, everybody is fucking worrying about the devs and publishers, and when they were benefiting the publishers and devs, everybody was worried about the users. I see your point and they indeed should have handled this much better, but some comments just feel like

1324596542030_7713053.png

with Epic. I mean, seriously, they are discounting $10 off every game and they are paying for it, and yet everybody here is happy that they are somehow "failing". Some of you (not the two I quoted) sound a bit insane.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

They probably don't have the infrastructure to do this.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
they explicitly advertise it as meaning as much as 75% off.

"During the Epic Mega Sale, developers and publishers are discounting a ton of great games up to 75% off. Also, for every game purchase $14.99 and above, Epic Games provides an additional $10 off to you at no cost to the publisher or developer. "

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Steam had a similar sale recently where they would give you money off a game that was also paid by Valve.

I guess the difference here is that was a one time thing on purchases $30 or more? Or maybe they converted the money for each region?

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I don't hate Epic. I just hate companies buying third-party games and removing them from other launchers.

Still this sale should teach Epic to invest in the store itself and not money hatting. It's clearly not ready for primetime.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
If I were a dev I'd be furious at Epic for telling people my game is $7 instead of $15, or $15 instead of $25, making people in the future unwilling to pay a "higher" price, when I never intended to lower the price that much for years.

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
It's not that. This is a sale subsidized by Epic.

The devs aren't setting it as X% off, Epic is literally removing ten dollars from every game over 14.99 which greatly affects the perceived value of those games launching at 15-20 dollar price points - because they can now be had for 5-10 dollars, a price they may not normally see for years. So it has potential to hurt their sales even if Epic is covering the cost

For games that are not EGS exclusive, the other stores where the game is available probably expects (and may require) that games be offered at equivalent discounts in their stores.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The "scummy practices" in this case being Epic giving everyone a flat tenner off games? The monsters.
Poor treatment of employees, bare minimum of storefront features and no regard for consumer rights. Just to name a few.

But apologies, I forget all is well when things are on the cheap!

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If I were a dev I'd be furious at Epic for telling people my game is $7 instead of $15, or $15 instead of $25, making people in the future unwilling to pay a "higher" price, when I never intended to lower the price that much for years.

Not only that, people that check IsThereAnyDeal.com , will see the game has been much cheaper before, and wait until it's that price again to buy it.

For some of these games that just came out, or have not come out yet, that's terrible.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont get it

why not just limit the sale to specific games?

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) - antagonizing other users over a series of posts
Poor treatment of employees, bare minimum of storefront features and no regard for consumer rights. Just to name a few.

It seems that lot of people are ready to sell their soul for 10$
Good for them I guess

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This thread is about the current sale. I know its a radical idea to address the actual subject of a thread as opposed to using it to vent your impotent hatred of all that displeases you but it's also more or less expected.

It seems that lot of people are ready to sell their soul for 10$
Good for them I guess

I honestly don't know how anyone could post something like this seriously and not be embarrassed at the level of hyperbole they unleashed.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
This has always happened during the Steam sales. How is this an issue now?
I mean, I know why you are making it an issue. But again... how are we just worrying about this now?
Because it's not just anti-consumer, but also anti publisher/developer. I dont think Steam had a sale without asking the developers about the price beforehand.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Steam had a similar sale recently where they would give you money off a game that was also paid by Valve.

I guess the difference here is that was a one time thing on purchases $30 or more? Or maybe they converted the money for each region?

A bit of both, as the money was converted to the local region's currency at an appropriate rate, and:

But the Developer isn't losing a dime of money here.

Epic designed this - knowingly or not - as a way to steal purchases from other stores, by making the discount so *ahem* epic that someone would rather purchase, say, VtM: Bloodlines 2 from the EGS over Steam, GOG, or Paradox store. The issue with this is that it inherently reduces the perceived value of the games in question, by deep-discounting them, in VtM's case months before release.

Basically, it gives people even more of an excuse to "wait for the sale", which harms devs/pubs in the long-run.