• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Great video and very complex scenario
I still think that the situation was complicated, way more than what Era Kojima fans are keen to recognize, and this video is good also because tries to recreate it as a whole

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Absolutely. I work in journalism and I'm in awe over the research that went into this video. If games journalists want to be taken seriously, more of them should make the effort and take in-depth looks at the creators, publishers and creative workspace that lead up to a videogame. This is a prime example of how to critique media work.
I think the biggest research this video makes is going to the Konami website and sifting through their annual reports. Most of the actual investigative journalism of it was already done by Super Bunnyhop and the author of the book that details it.

This is more like detective work putting the various investigative journo pieces together and with a conspiracy at hand. A plausible conspiracy though. The overall message in the video is still a theory rather than a series of conclusive facts from new sources.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima knowing Silent Hills was never going to come to fruition better explains the 2013-2014 location scouting and obvious Death Stranding concept art hidden in PT much better. He's been thinking of Death Stranding for a long time.

vdtmw7ce6p311.jpg

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I think the biggest research this video makes is going to the Konami website and sifting through their annual reports. Most of the actual investigative journalism of it was already done by Super Bunnyhop and the author of the book that details it.

This is more like detective work putting the various investigative journo pieces together and with a conspiracy at hand. A plausible conspiracy though. The overall message in the video is still a theory rather than a series of conclusive facts from new sources.
However right you may be, their work is flawless. I saw both parts of Tomm Hulett tragedy, and the work they've done to show just how wrong the fandom was about him, is enough for me to put them on a high pedesal. Higher than the rest.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
However right you may be, their work is flawless. I saw both parts of Tomm Hulett tragedy, and the work they've done to show just how wrong the fandom was about him, is enough for me to put them on a high pedesal. Higher than the rest.
I think it was a video that had to be made but to be honest all you get is what Tom Huelett says. Producers are adept at PR. He obviously did not deserve the flack he got as a person, but I wasn't convinced that "all of it wasn't true" and I felt the video, much like this one drives too fast towards a point it wants to make, and will cherry pick facts from the research to prove it. It doesn't mean it's false but it isn't really proof.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I don't know how much of the video is true and I don't know when it happened but I certainly have been convinced ever since E3 2016 that Kojima had some backdoor shady deals with Sony well before all the official fallout stuff with Konami happened. The pre-production stuff of DS and overall smoothness for the transition of the studio to pumping out a big budget game with big names attached was way, way too fast for it to be something that the crew came up in way less than a year.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
video pretty much convinced me that Kojima made P.T. knowing Silent Hills was never going to happen

very good video

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ultimately, this not only explains so many of the weird lines and choices in PT, but also more importantly why Konami took the unpopular decision to kill it from the store.

They found out.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Great video that brings up a lot of interesting points.

However I think the overall theory that PT is meta commentary about Kojima leaving Konami more than an actual teaser for Silent Hills is too far fetched. It makes more sense to me that KojiPro wanted to announce and release PT so people know about it before Silent Hills gets cancelled and hoping the attention would change Konami's mind. There's also too much of a solid narrative in the game for it to hinge on metaphor.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed at just how much sense this makes.

I think it was a video that had to be made but to be honest all you get is what Tom Huelett says. Producers are adept at PR. He obviously did not deserve the flack he got as a person, but I wasn't convinced that "all of it wasn't true" and I felt the video, much like this one drives too fast towards a point it wants to make, and will cherry pick facts from the research to prove it. It doesn't mean it's false but it isn't really proof.
This is nonsense. They used a variety of sources beyond Hulett himself.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
If anyone wants some more in-depth stuff regarding Silent Hill, not only has the other member of the Grate Debate, VoidBurger, made an EXCELLENT, super high effort Let's play of Silent Hill 2, she's currently making ANOTHER amazing and high effort let's play of Silent Hill 3!

It's got two versions with completely different commentary styles and jokes, with one being a no-spoiler playthrough with subtitles, and the other being a voiced commentary with this video's maker, BobVids!

The Silent Hill 2 Let's Play is one of the best ones I have ever seem, and has a level of quality practically never seen in other let's plays on the Internet, so I'm really excited for the SH3 one, especially since it's first episodes and bonus video are already so good!

Check it out and support her Patreon!

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This video grow on me the hate for Konami even more. Activision seems an innocent child compared their new leadership. It's clear AAA games by them won't happen anymore with such people still in charge.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
Just... wow! I'm stunned on with all the info, connections, and hard work this investigation suddenly threw us!! I even had to see it TWICE to catch all of that!

The thing that stands the most for me is the Deja Vu mission and how it fits with everything else: When it came out (and the whole Kojima vs. Konami was widely known) it seemed weird to me that the canon Metal Gear games were the ones being erased with the lights, but NOW it's so obvious: You can't erase Kojima without taking with him the soul of the real Metal Gear games.

What an incredible video!

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of great points but also a lot of weak inferences. P.T. was most certainly a Silent Hills teaser but it's fine to suggest the content of the teaser was semi-autobiographical.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it makes sense, but the idea that P.T. would actually stay up on PSN for more than a day if it was unauthorized and its associated project had already been cancelled seems absurd.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry for bumping, but I just watched this video on YouTube and I was impressed, so better to bump than start a new topic.

Some people may have missed it. Enjoy!