• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to drop the video as I'm pretty tired of people giving PT a deeper meaning than I thought it had... but this all makes sense and doesn't feel contrived. The timeline of events matches up perfectly as it is presented.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I usually ignore these Kojima theory videos since they tend to be made just for clicks and usually don't contain any plausible theories, but holy shit my mind is BLOWN.

That was fantastic

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Yeah, I've had my suspicions about some of the dialogue in P.T. and the Deja Vu mission relating to Kojima's situation at Konami, a fair amount of people have put that forward before. Never seen the dates connected to it though, very interesting stuff that. I definitely think there's something to it.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm sad I never played this, I'll watch after work, by the comments here is an interesting video.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Makes a whole lot of sense, and certainly explains why Konami went to such lengths to try to erase the game from existence.

Never selling my PS4.. lol.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I think it deserved it's own thread. It's an amazing video describing what P.T is and what Kojima intent was by releasing it.

youtu.be

P.T.'s Hidden Meaning

♪ Is this heaven, or is this hell? ♪♪ Through a silver screen, you're sayin' what you mean ♪♪ But I can't tell ♪Sources:https://pastebin.com/xHUB0GwqMusic:Ch...

It's made by theGrateDebate a YouTube channel that definitively deserves more subs :)
This was actually hella good!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I understand we're all shocked at this fantastic video, and awed at Kojima, but let's not forget who made this video too!

Plus, this guy clearly labeled ALL his sources, and edited in number links to them in the video, please respect that amazing effort!

The Grate Debate has other fantastic videos covering Silent Hill 2, as well as interviews from people involved with them such as Guy Cihi and Tom Hulette!

Bob, the guy who did this one, is fantastic and you should check out Bobvids for more great content like this!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hills need to be done. Sony shoudl buy the series and give it to Kojima Productions while it's in its lowest value right now.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
That was a fun video, thanks for sharing. Would've probably never seen it otherwise.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I understand we're all shocked at this fantastic video, and awed at Kojima, but let's not forget who made this video too!

Plus, this guy clearly labeled ALL his sources, and edited in number links to them in the video, please respect that amazing effort!

The Grate Debate has other fantastic videos covering Silent Hill 2, as well as interviews from people involved with them such as Guy Cihi and Tom Hulette!

Bob, the guy who did this one, is fantastic and you should check out Bobvids for more great content like this!
The amount of research that whent into this video is what makes this theory much more plausible than loony stuff ppl pull out of they imagination. And while i dont believe this theory is 100% acurate, like the flashligh colors representing the colors of the old Playstation logo, the rest of it make perfect sense.

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if I buy everything regarding the video (I mean, the flashlight colours could also line up to Xbox button colours) but I like the theory and liked the amount of sources the guy had to back his theory up. I definitely believe the stuff regarding the rise of mobile money and Konami wanting to get rid of Kojima for spending too much compared to how much he brings in and fully believe Kojima could be the type to reference in game his struggles during his last years at the company.

If true though I think this elevates PT even higher and I'm glad I still have it on my PS4 and will never get rid of it.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Honestly, this is the most "investigative" journalism i've seen in gaming besides Jason Schreier's work. And its investigating a theory. It's brilliant.

Watching Tom Hulette video now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This lines up even better than the head transplant doctor thing so this can't be anything other than facts. It actually makes too much sense.

Tagged for later.

I still fucking hate "Look behind you. I said, look behind you".

Almost shit myself.
Yeah, I watched and thought that ok now PT actually doesn't seem that scary. Then that line was delivered and I had to turn the lights on and shift position so I only had a corner behind me lol

Mighty_Bison

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the whole video. Laying the events out, you have to feel for Kojima. Konami really fucked him over. I'm just happy that he's creatively free to work on whatever he wants now. The man is too good to be stuck on 1 franchise for the rest of his life.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Great video but I'm not sure I buy all of it. i think the research into how the dates line up is fascinating and fairly airtight, and I agree the general idea of the game is about Kojima's frustration with Konami (the fact death stranding is using a lot of the same imagery i think helps confirm this broadly) but some of the details i'm not so sure about. after the bombshell reveal of the "10 months" thing i was on board for more big revelations but it just sorta fizzled? lisa representing the fox engine is a weird fit if the dad is supposed to be kozuki. the red blue and green lights representing the playstation logo is pretty thin, I think.

but mostly i'm just sort of scratching my head at the "it was his way of getting around an NDA" theory. for starters, the video states he was made to sign a two month non-compete, which is different from an NDA. if, as this video proposes, he was already in talks with del toro, winding-refn, sony, etc etc about his new studio he would be breaching both those theoretical documents anyway. even with konami breathing down his neck for his final two years at the company, kojima wouldn't need to make a super scary cryptic puzzle to invite kojipro's best and brightest to his new studio.

it seems far more likely to me that kojima was simply checked out and wanted to give konami a big middle finger on his way out the door, which I know is the main theory about this game already anyway. the clues about dates and konami links are for fans, not potential hires. this theory still covers basically all of the mysteries brought up here: the petty scrubbing of news items from kojima's term at the company, the removal of the game from the store, the broken family symbolism in the game itself, etc etc.

(i can't really fit this anywhere in my above crits but also i think the interpretation of the talking organ in the bag being about his position in the company is a bit tenuous. i've always felt that was describing the experience of playing video games)

anyway still an extremely good watch for the piecing together of the timeline alone, and the theory is super interesting! i'll be percolating on it for a while, these are just my knee-jerk thoughts

May 31, 2018
So, was there ever footage of the actual Silent Hills shown? Or were there even drips of an idea of what the plot was supposed to be?

Also, I wonder how much of (if any) Death Stranding will be an evolution of what the concept for Silent Hills was going to be.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
How can I become Kojima's Soul Warrior?
Try with lots of money and fame.
lisa representing the fox engine is a weird fit if the dad is supposed to be kozuki. the red blue and green lights representing the playstation logo is pretty thin, I think.
I also felt this was the most subjective interpretation of it, and I also felt a little questioning when I watched this.

To me it was clear since a while ago that P.T. was indeed indicative that Kojima was proclaiming his grievances with his parent company through his art, and seeing the closure of KojiPro coming a year ahead given the corporate hierarchy shaking things up. What I disagreed with was indeed the role he assigned these metaphors in the video. To me Lisa and the Baby is much simpler: A man cut out the unborn fetus from the womb of his wife. That dad is clearly Konami, alright, but the woman is not specifically the fox engine and the reference to the skirt is circumstantial to fit the in-world horror story being told: The woman is simply the game company and the fetus is the games they create which are ripped out from underneath them by the now aggressive father who has decided to "one day go and kill us all".

The reference to other fathers doing similar things on the radio could just be more of the "infinite hallway" thing, as is the "seperate reality" which really is just Kojima being meta about what a game is, but if I were to stretch it I would say the multiple incidents of family-killing fathers could be ideated from Konami preparing closure or restructuring of many of their game studios, moving them over to the mobile-focused, pachinka-focused business.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
So, was there ever footage of the actual Silent Hills shown? Or were there even drips of an idea of what the plot was supposed to be?

Also, I wonder how much of (if any) Death Stranding will be an evolution of what the concept for Silent Hills was going to be.

There was a 2014 TGS trailer for Silent Hills, I believe.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
That was pretty mindblowing. I thought I was going into another artsy interpretation, and not actually an investigative journalism thing. Daaamn. Pretty cool channel.

Dec 8, 2018

A guy repeating the same exact things over and over for 13 min. How if silent hills was not an continuation of the "original" games he don't want it?

What the f does that have to do with this video?

Your video is 13 min of someone complaining about not getting silent hills 5 and nothing to do with the actual content of PT while the other explains how PT was Kojima explaining to the world about his current situation and PT his way to break the NDA he was under and what he was going and been through.

If you believe the op video PT was not a teaser for silent hill since Kojima already knew they were going to kill it and that is why it is and play like it does.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I knew there was some deep story behind P.T. but I've always been too chicken shit to play it. This video explained a lot and helped connect the dots.

And I really appreciate the video not having any Lisa jump scares.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
A guy repeating the same exact things over and over for 13 min. How if silent hills was not an continuation of the "original" games he don't want it?

What the f does that have to do with this video?

Your video is 13 min of someone complaining about not getting silent hills 5 and nothing to do with the actual content of PT while the other explains how PT was Kojima explaining to the world about his current situation and PT his way to break the NDA he was under and what he was going and been through.

If you believe the op video PT was not a teaser for silent hill since Kojima already knew they were going to kill it and that is why it is and play like it does.

It's not my video tho...

But no, it's a pretty good argument of why PT isn't exactly good either as a product or as a teaser and I agree with it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Dang, that might be the first PT theory that makes sense. I hope Konami comes back to big productions at some point. At least sell Castlevania, SH, Gradius, MGS and all the other IPs if they have no interest in them.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm normally very skeptical of Kojima theories, but this one is all very down to earth, well researched, and actually makes perfect sense. Fantastic video, subbed to his channel now.

As an aside, corporate culture in Japan is toxic as all hell and this video only reinforced the image I got of it for the short time I was working in Japan.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Great and really mind blowing video.

If its true then there is no redemption for Konami as long as these people are there and that will not change any time soon since its a family business ruled with a iron fist.

Somehow i like Konami now even less.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I would say the 4 colours representing Playstation might be a bit much, but for the most part the theory suggested from the video doesn't seem that outlandish and the timeline does add up.

PT isn't a teaser for Silent Hills, it's Kojima's last act of defiance against Konami before getting the boot.

Konami eventually trying to erase PT was the final piece of the 'art'.

Dec 8, 2018
It's not my video tho...

But no, it's a pretty good argument of why PT isn't exactly good either as a product or as a teaser and I agree with it.

Where did I say it was your video?

And if you just want the same game for the fifth time and characters instead of a new interpretation from a new director (similar to re7) that is fine but that is also the only real argument that video talks about and nothing of the content in PT or the MEANING of it which is what the OP video is about so the two videos are not even discussing the same ting.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hills need to be done. Sony shoudl buy the series and give it to Kojima Productions while it's in its lowest value right now.

Still watching through the video and will get around to finishing it when I get home where I have better internet, but I just want to say that I'm actually convinced Kojima wouldn't be able to make a good Silent Hill game. A good game, definitely, but Kojima really likes fucking with the audiences in flamboyant and melodramatic ways (based on what I played of his games), while the original Silent Hill games were more subtle about how they fucked with audiences. Still, it would have been a cool take to see, especially with the talent onboard.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to get P.T. on my ps4? I'm so sad that I didn't add it to my acc. when it released. :(

From what I've seen it's certainly possible but it appears to involve hacking/jailbreaking the PS4 (which could result in a ban), messing around with software piracy sites and the like. Try googling for more information but it doesn't seem worth the risk or the hassle.

There was also a PC remake called 'Unreal P.T." which was released earlier this year. It's not quite as good as the original but it is about 95% faithful. However, that was also taken down (cease and desist from Konami I think?).

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Wow. Some of the most fun I've had listening to a "conspiracy" video. I genuinely believe it.

I was so sad to find the channel has so few videos and all of them really only on P.T. pretty much :(

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is the most "investigative" journalism i've seen in gaming besides Jason Schreier's work. And its investigating a theory. It's brilliant.

Watching Tom Hulette video now.

Absolutely. I work in journalism and I'm in awe over the research that went into this video. If games journalists want to be taken seriously, more of them should make the effort and take in-depth looks at the creators, publishers and creative workspace that lead up to a videogame. This is a prime example of how to critique media work.

Games journalists still have to learn a lot and should look to book and film critics and borrow some of their methods. Games journalism should not be about reviewing a game and giving it a 8.75 out of 10. It should be about reviewing a cultural product that entails so much more than the output on your screen.

This would particularly be important in the face of games such as The Last Night or Ion Fury. It should be gaming media's duty to shine light on the problems and complexions behind the curtain.