• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Hate to break it to you but most police officers are watching traffic, walking around shopping malls, and patrolling black neighborhoods. This idea that they are stopping or trying to stop massive crime on the day to day is hilarious.

Varies greatly by area. I live in a big city in a still sketchy, slowly gentrifying area with fairly high serious crime rates, and do a fair bit of research and consulting work with the local police departments. The ones in the city do pretty much no dedicated traffic enforcement. They're hundreds of officers short of their legally mandated staffing levels and struggle to keep up responding to crime calls, traffic accidents and investigations to waste time sitting with radar guns. Any traffic enforcement they do is when someone is doing something dangerous in front of them (running red lights, nearly hitting people, driving like they're intoxicated, super aggressive driving etc.)--or profiling hoping to find guns and drugs (which is wrong, but definitely still a thing despite the patrol force being 70 some percent black here in the main agency). And they do spend a lot of time patrolling the black neighborhoods, but that's because those are the poor, higher crime neighborhoods here due to decades of segregation and disadvantage and where the majority of citizen reports of serious crimes are coming from.

Now go out to the suburban departments where there aren't so many shootings, robberies, burglaries etc. and yeah, the cops are doing a lot more traffic enforcement and other petty shit. Now you are right that even the big city patrol officers aren't fighting serious crime very shift--just much more often than their suburban counterparts. Patrol officers are overwhelmed by calls here, but most are still things like domestic disturbances, noise complaints, thefts from businesses, vandalism etc. But doing that stuff and dealing with the fairly high felony property crime and violent crimes here mean they aren't doing dedicated traffic enforcement hardly at all (mostly leave that to the state police on the interstates and county police elsewhere) and the detective units are too busy with all the burglaries, car break ins etc. to spend much time on package theft. Best bet is to put up some very visible cameras--stuff still gets stolen, but that drops your odds the most of anything you can do besides just not having stuff sent to your house if you can't be there for it.

The patrolling of malls and other private property is officers working extra jobs off duty. That's private property and they aren't going to be patrolling that on tax payer dollars. That's on the businesses to pay for, otherwise they're only coming to respond to calls for service.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have used paint or something more permanent.

I've asked fedex not to leave packages on my door or by my garage because Clevelands #1 profession is seemingly package theft. They still did after 3 complaints. It was what pushed me to finally cancel my Amazon prime membership.

Do they have Amazon Lockers in your area?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed this needed paint.
Glitter is annoying sure, but paint would be sweet, sweet expensive justice.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If your local police officers are spending their entire work day tracking down child traffickers... well, I'd be scared to have children in your area, because that seems like a major red flag.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Brilliant work.

Man some people are brazen as hell. I think the police in my area would be a bit more aggressive about this sort of thing but who knows.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
That's great! Must be so frustrating to have your packages stolen. Just how many times has this guy and his friends' packages been stolen?? Geeze. Can the delivery people not just leave the package with a neighbour if the owner is away? That's what they do in my area.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant work.

Man some people are brazen as hell. I think the police in my area would be a bit more aggressive about this sort of thing but who knows.

It's crazy, I know. But I think that the fact that supposedly most Police Departments don't seemingly care to investigate is what gives these crooks the gall to do this without any fear of prosecution. I work from home and have a camera doorbell and even I have resorted to having UPS and Fedex deliver it to a dropoff location like a UPS store or Walgreen's (they handle Fedex). I see reports frequently in Nextdoor of neighbors who lose packages to theft. Sucks.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Using ultra fine glitter is a special kind of "fuck you".

What's sad is that since police won't do anything about things like this and home security seemingly doesn't help, there's little recourse for victims.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's crazy, I know. But I think that the fact that supposedly most Police Departments don't seemingly care to investigate is what gives these crooks the gall to do this without any fear of prosecution. I work from home and have a camera doorbell and even I have resorted to having UPS and Fedex deliver it to a dropoff location like a UPS store or Walgreen's (they handle Fedex). I see reports frequently in Nextdoor of neighbors who lose packages to theft. Sucks.
Oof. No issues like this here but I live in a gated community and everyone is fairly wealthy so this would be extremely surprising if/when it happens here.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Should've been permanent dye and fart spray.

Having said that the people that do this open themselves up to lawsuits. If a burglar can successfully sue a victim, which has happened, a lawyer might successfully sue people that put this on their porch.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Do Amazon or whoever give refunds on this stuff if you dispute the delivery confirmation?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
What can someone do if a package is stolen? Are you completely fucked?
Happened to me last week. LL Bean gloves. Emailed them and they sent a new pair in 1 business day over the air. Crazy. Glad they still have great customer service (but no more lifetime warranty).

It def. depends on the vendor, of course. But most companies will do this for you.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant work.

Package theft is usually misdemeanor (its not a felony until somewhere between $500 and 1000 depending on the state, so this "HomePod" wouldn't be a felony) so unless you catch the person redhanded, it isn't worth the polices time, unless there is an active threat.

*This is more difficult than you think and I've helped the police bust a duo stealing packages.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The kind of people brazen enough to swipe packages are the same kind of people shameless enough to sue someone for booby trapping a package like this. There are plenty of lawyers shameless enough to take up their case, too.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a Google Home Mini stolen the other day, luckily it was only $1 but the thought of my shit not being safe really pisses me off. I'd love to make something that could track where a package is at and maybe sound off some super fucking loud alarm that's really hard to stop.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
you rather cops chase package stealers or investigate child trafficking?
at least the CP producers keep the kids alive
we got kid murderers (one near me in a suburb) running around so starting now no one is allowed to complain about anything worse than that
tenor.gif

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm lucky I haven't had a package stolen yet, and I've had some big dollar shit left at my porch before (which aggravates me, don't do that shit, shipping companies!), but I have been victim to big burglary (computer, DSLR camera, 3 game consoles, and all of my games stolen in one fell swoop once) and vehicle break-ins (stole like $7 in quarters, not a huge loss but still annoying that someone went into your space while you were gone for a few minutes) and I LOVE seeing thieves get fucked, even if it's just in a minor way.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun video, but could that dude have bragged about himself a little bit more at the beginning lmao

"Then I figured, me who is basically the god of science and better than everybody should do this prank"

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Package thieves get no sympathy, glitter bombs and fart sprays all the way. I still get heated thinking about the buttholes who stole stuff off our porch that was meant for one of those Christmas present charity drives. Managed to get refunded for it but it was a great deal on several items that allowed me to splurge and it was impossible to replace the order with the same stuff by then.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have used paint or something more permanent.

I've asked fedex not to leave packages on my door or by my garage because Clevelands #1 profession is seemingly package theft. They still did after 3 complaints. It was what pushed me to finally cancel my Amazon prime membership.
Number one rule: FedEx, UPS, postal Service don't give a fuck what happened to your package

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Neat machine but ultimately pretty pointless. A minute of vacuuming gets rid of most of that and they're back scavenging tomorrow. Unless there were legal consequences here which I doubt.

I honestly couldn't stand the chance of that happening (the stealing, not the glittering). i just pick up packages at the nearest post office or dispenser.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never have anything delivered if my postman was allowed to leave packages at my front door unattended. Of course things are going to go missing, what do they expect?

Oct 25, 2017
Do Amazon or whoever give refunds on this stuff if you dispute the delivery confirmation?

Usually. They know this happens. That's why they made lockers, Amazon key, and are planting decoy packages to help catch these people. Hell they even got a patent to create a database of suspicious people using doorbell cameras.