• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
From this post onwards:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5346439/

I get that some people may be confused by or have no interest in Splatoon 2, but it's a fucking amazing game unlike anything else out there. I used to doubt it as well, having never played the original, but after giving the Splatoon 2 testfire a go last June, I now understand. Incredible game, incredible experience. I've put 1200 hours into it so far.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has been constantly updating it for the past 9 months, adding scores of new features, updates, improvements, maps, clothing, music, modes... for FREE.

FOR FREE.

So here we have Nintendo promoting their relatively new 2-year-old IP, that has sold bucketloads (first game to sell over 2 million copies in Japan), revealing even MORE free updates to their consumers (MORE new maps, music, clothes, etc.) and they ALSO reveal a $20 single-player expansion with EIGHTY (80!) NEW SINGLE PLAYER LEVELS, and free bonus content for pre-purchasing and free unlockable aesthetic content.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?

Yes, I get it, you were all anticipating Smash (which was then announced anyway), but Jesus Christ get some perspective, maybe step away from the computer for a while, and appreciate what Nintendo is trying to do here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect this thread to last but the mood whiplash of the reaction to Splatoon 2's content updates leading directly into a Smash announcement just kind of show a side to Era's users that come across as really entitled and fickle.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers being entitled and overreacting? Definitely not a new thing.

It's a reactions thread. I'm sure on reflection, people understand it's worth being paid content.

Eric Peng

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'd liked to remind you that the first couple of months of content was not free. It's disk locked content. It's a marketing ploy.

"Hooray Nintendo for finally unlocking content I paid for!"

A good amount of it was stuff from the first game also. It wasn't until the winter update where the real free content actually shifted into gears.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was good stuff for Squid fans. But tonally, it doesn't work for a big announcement event. It should have been a mid day announcement on Twitter, with a press release and whatnot. Doesn't work for 10 or so minutes in a direct.

I like Splatoon. This isn't about the game's merits. It's about what belongs in an announcement event and what doesn't.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I don't mind Splatoon getting DLC but when they put that $19.99 price tag I just shook my head.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Have you...have you considered maybe step away from the computer for a while? They're randoms who have no impact on your enjoyment of the game.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I feel like maybe you should take your own advice and step away from the computer if you can't handle people disliking a game.

There is a difference between disliking a game and acting like entitled children about it.

Those pages were embarrassing, without question. It's the kind of thing that makes people roll their eyes at "gamers."

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, but honestly you shouldn't concern yourself with things like this.

I say that as someone who got really fucking hyped for Splatoon 2 updates.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Direct threads are always pretty embarrassing.

To be fair though, this thread kind of is as well.

I get where you're coming from though.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
It was good stuff for Squid fans. But tonally, it doesn't work for a big announcement event. It should have been a mid day announcement on Twitter, with a press release and whatnot. Doesn't work for 10 or so minutes in a direct.

I like Splatoon. This isn't about the game's merits. It's about what belongs in an announcement event and what doesn't.
It was part of the announcement of Playable Octolings, which literally every Splatoon fan has been clamoring for since the first one came out.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Should've had lootboxes with free maps and content. Get on with the time Nintendo.

/s

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had to bow out after that because it was frankly embarrassing.

That being said, it's not worth caring about what immature people do/say.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 is a very polarizing game. Those who play it love it since it does GaaS extremely well with its positive, tolerant community, recurring events, tons of free content updates, and limited toxic voice chat. But those who don't often cite motion controls, Salmon Run timing, and the Switch online app. I find that many hate it on the basis of one of those things, or not being good at the game. Or maybe it just isn't for them.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
different strokes for different folks. Splatoon isn't for me but I'm not going to aggressively deride it.

i thought that Octo bit with the music was sick

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dade970127fcf7935c9eabb91d4a2277.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Big Splatoon 2 content blow out, brand new expansion, new playable characters, single player campaign etc. for one of Nintendo's absolutely biggest games, and you think it'd been better as a mid-day "oh here you go I guess" Twitter announcement?

Well that's an opinion

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't really label Directs as "big announcement events". They do them plenty of times throughout the year to highlight new stuff coming to existing games as well as new games coming soon. These aren't always going to be mini E3s. Announcing new content for one of their biggest games on their current hardware is perfectly fine for a Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.