• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should just call it UK charts. Barely any other regions are in here and the ones that are are behind or of a month.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
No chance? Could be even lower.
When some AAA $60 retail games already manage > 50% digital sales, why do you think a cheap(er) digital online game could not reach 75% or more?

Again how do you go from one game selling over 50% digitally on console that is online only to 75-80% digital share in 3 months. And no i don't believe the prices and can cause a swing like that. What your advocating is unprecedented.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find so weird that Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition never managed to chart into the UK top 40, not only during its first weeks but even in a slow week like this one.

Seems like a game that was very front-loaded. Showed up for a while in the quiet summer period due to excellent WoM but once the heavy-hitters have shown up it hasn't been able to compete.

That complete edition does seem to be a disappointing endeavour indeed.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I find so weird that Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition never managed to chart into the UK top 40, not only during its first weeks but even in a slow week like this one.

It is usual for Sony 1st party titles to be pretty frontloaded I think. People that are buying PS4 now don't buy it for Horizon or Uncharted but for FIFA/CoD/GTA.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How do you go from just over 50% digital for destiny 2 to 75% PUBG in 3 months?
Games that only have a download code in the box have less value as a physical disc, since they don't have any trade-in value and sten't as nice in a collection. A download code in a box is not a "proper" physical edition in those hat sense, and as such it will skew further towards digital.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think Destiny is the game with the highest digital share in the first place?
The increasing digital sales over time are just one factor. You're way to focused on "in 3 months". Different games have different digital ratios for various reasons. This is nothing new.

PUBG and Destiny are totally different games in that regard. A game like Rocket League is more comparable to PUBG.

Destiny is an advertised AAA full price game (yes online only, too) with prominent shelf space.
PUBG is a short notice digital release for half the price, that also happend to get a physical version day and date.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not quite sure if the German BIU sales awards for November have been posted yet, so here they are:

500k+:
CoD: WW2 (PS4)

200k+:
Gran Turismo Sport
AC Origins (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssee

100k+:
CoD: WW2 (X1)
F1 2017 (PS4)
Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PS4)
NfS: Payback (PS4)
Splatoon 2
SW: Battlefront 2 (PS4)

https://www.biu-online.de/marktdaten/biu-sales-awards-november-2017/

German BIU Sales Awards for November 2017: https://www.biu-online.de/blog/2017...sten-computer-und-videospiele-in-deutschland/
  • Call of Duty: WWII (PS4) >500K
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (PS4) >200K
  • Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) >200K
  • Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) >200K
  • Call of Duty: WWII (XB1) >100K
  • F1 2017 (PS4) >100K
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4) >100K
  • Need for Speed: Payback (PS4) >100K
  • Splatoon 2 (Switch) >100K
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (PS4) >100K

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2292573/

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Games that only have a download code in the box have less value as a physical disc, since they don't have any trade-in value and sten't as nice in a collection. A download code in a box is not a "proper" physical edition in those hat sense, and as such it will skew further towards digital.

Do we have any examples of this?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon did great in the UK, plus digital probably sold around 400/450K which is great.

WW should be around 6M already so it'll be fine, next one will be even bigger.

As for top 5, absolute Playstation domination these days even in the UK, France seems to be much more interesting with Nintendo doing amazing there alongside Sony, all the rest of Europe is Sony business as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon wasn't front loaded. It had great legs.

Something isn't "front loaded" because it doesn't have Nintendo/CoD/FIFA like legs.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Something isn't "front loaded" because it doesn't have Nintendo/CoD/FIFA like legs.

What's your explanation for the awful performance of the complete edition then? I'd expect much better than a complete no-show if it did have great long term sales potential. It's still way under a year since its release after all.

EDIT: a good point of comparison I can see is Gears of War Ultimate Edition making it into the individual top 40. That's significantly older and exclusive to the weaker platform yet it's there.

Oct 27, 2017
Again how do you go from one game selling over 50% digitally on console that is online only to 75-80% digital share in 3 months. And no i don't believe the prices and can cause a swing like that. What your advocating is unprecedented.
You could say the same for rocket league or fortnite . It's a primarily digital game that happens to have a retail release that's not even advertised(and PUbG is a boxed code). There's no reason to pick up the retail version as it has no trade value and is disposable

Oct 25, 2017
What's your explanation for the awful performance of the complete edition then? I'd expect much better than a complete no-show if it did have great long term sales potential. It's still way under a year since its release after all.

The complete edition is just the base game plus DLC. I don't think it not charting warrants an explanation, especially since it released much later after the game had dropped out of the charts and because you can buy the base game + dlc for the same price or cheaper in some places.

And even more than that, the complete edition charting or not has nothing to do with the initial run legs, which were great.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think Destiny is the game with the highest digital share in the first place?
The increasing digital sales over time are just one factor. You're way to focused on "in 3 months". Different games have different digital ratios for various reasons. This is nothing new.

PUBG and Destiny are totally different games in that regard. A game like Rocket League is more comparable to PUBG.

Destiny is an advertised AAA full price game (yes online only, too) with prominent shelf space.
PUBG is a short notice digital release for half the price, that also happend to get a physical version day and date.
I'm mention the time period because adoptipn of digital has been gradually, I believe mod on gaf Noralik stated it grew 5% a year roughly. So there's a jump from 5% to 25%. If retail box edition was not released day and date I would have agreed with your assertion.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Horizon actually had good legs in the UK. Not sure what's up with the new edition.

Of course it had good legs. But we were talking about legs that could last 10months. In that regard Horizon is pretty front loaded. Complete editions are meant for newcommers so if the legs died weeks before, it won't help.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
You could say the same for rocket league or fortnite . It's a primarily digital game that happens to have a retail release that's not even advertised(and PUbG is a boxed code). There's no reason to pick up the retail version as it has no trade value and is disposable
Rocket League wasn't available physical date and i don't believe fornite has been released at retail. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thx in advance.

Hopefully John Harker will give us the split in NPD thread, should be able to extrapolate the result.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The complete edition is just the base game plus DLC. I don't think it not charting warrants an explanation, especially since it released much later after the game had dropped out of the charts and because you can buy the base game + dlc for the same price or cheaper in some places.

And even more than that, the complete edition charting or not has nothing to do with the initial run legs, which were great.

I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I've gone through Bruno's holiday charts all the way back to week 42 and Horizon is completely absent in each and every one I'm 99.9% certain. If they could clarify when it last made an appearance it'd be appreciated, I just don't see the terrible complete edition performance along with how long the base game has not been selling well recently (particularly if people are opting for the cheaper base game + DLC as you inferred) as things to just brush aside like you do and they are definitely worth discussing, as Bruno themselves did by asking the question. It seems like a game very few people in the mainstream have cared about for a long time- ergo front-loaded.

EDIT: the comment just above too, is all good points.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it had good legs. But we were talking about legs that could last 10months. In that regard Horizon is pretty front loaded. Complete editions are meant for newcommers so if the legs died weeks before, it won't help.

Okay, so this is basically about terminology. Horizon had great legs. It wasn't an evergreen title or bundled software.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I've gone through Bruno's holiday charts all the way back to week 42 and Horizon is completely absent in each and every one I'm 99.9% certain. If they could clarify when it last made an appearance it'd be appreciated, I just don't see the terrible complete edition performance along with how long the base game has not been selling well as things to just brush aside like you do and they are definitely worth discussing, as Bruno themselves did by asking the question. It seems like a game very few people in the mainstream have cared about for a long time- ergo front-loaded.

EDIT: the comment just above too, is all good points.

That is not an indicator of poor legs. What?

Horizon charted and pulled numbers for several weeks after launch, back in February.

You aren't asking for me to prove that it has great legs, your asking me to prove that it essentially perform like a bundled or evergreen title.

No, a game does not need to perform like a Mario/Zelda/FIFA/Cod/GTA to have great legs. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League wasn't available physical date and i don't believe fornite has been released at retail. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thx in advance.

Hopefully John Harker will give us the split in NPD thread, should be able to extrapolate the result.
You don't have to look necessarily at LTD numbers because the game was digital only for the first year. Just weekly / monthly sales of a game like Rocket League digital and at retail.
Fortnite had a retail release day one, but is not widely available anymore:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071JQTBFL/?tag=e100-21

I'm mention the time period because adoptipn of digital has been gradually, I believe mod on gaf Noralik stated it grew 5% a year roughly. So there's a jump from 5% to 25%. If retail box edition was not released day and date I would have agreed with your assertion.
Yeah i know, but that is just the general digital adoption trend.
That does not contradict, that some games have higher digital sales and other lower. And those factors stay the same within the overall growing digital adoption rate.
And the point is, that a game like Destiny is not the top of the digital ratio.
It's presumably just at the top for AAA full price "retail games".

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure sell.fr just released 3 weeks in a row of French charts. Last week we were still at Week 49. So for the holidays:

Week 50:
7XneVcX.jpg

Week 51:

Week 52:

COD is a beast, and the Switch seems healthy.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
[Week 38, 2013] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 2,025,000 (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 release)
[Week 52, 2013] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 3,303,211*
[Week 46, 2014] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 3,586,000
[Week 47, 2014] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 3,986,000 (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release)
[Week 52, 2014] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 4,577,609*
[Week 16, 2015] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 4,950,000 (PC release)
[Week 20, 2015] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) > 5,000,000 (GfK Chart-Track announces 5 million milestone)
[Week 53, 2015] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 5,526,399*
[Week 26, 2016] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 5,751,275*
[Week 50, 2016] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) > 6,000,000 (GfK Chart-Track announces 6 million milestone)
[Week 26, 2017] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) > 6,400,000

*Actual GfK Chart-Track cumulative sales numbers not extrapolated to 100% of the market. The other figures are my own estimations.

Add PC numbers that are about 500k for UK (according to steamspy) and console digital and I would guess GTA V is past 8 million in UK. For reference best selling game of all time in Japan is Pokemon Red/Blue/Green with 7.9 million and that is with Japan having double the population of UK. Crazy.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Interesting how the discount works for GTS and Forza 7.

GTS: High spot in both units and revenue chart.
Forza 7: High spot in units but low spot in revenue.

That means either 1) F7 discounts is way bigger than GTS discounts or 2) GTS units numbers were big enough to maintain a high spot on revenue chart or 3) a combination of 1 and 2..

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That means either 1) F7 discounts is way bigger than GTS discounts or 2) GTS units numbers were big enough to maintain a high spot on revenue chart or 3) a combination of 1 and 2..

I guess it would be of great help if we knew how bundles are counted into the value charts.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When did DLC release in relation to the complete edition? If it was close then it may just be most people interested already had the game plus DLC.

There's just one DLC right? That doesn't make for a very compelling complete edition.

Anecdotally I never even knew there was a complete edition! What push did it get?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Switch SKUs are not supply constrained but they did increase the price.

Regarding Switch software, Amazon is a wasteland. You can add these supply constrained games :

- 1-2 Switch
- FIFA 18
- Mario+Rabbids
- Just Dance 18
- Just Dance 17 (this one is hilarious because JD18 sold out very quickly and then people started to buy JD17)
- Snipperclips
- LA Noire

Etc etc.
Amazon UK is currently out of stock of

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario + Rabbids
1 2 Switch

So not just France

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

GTS placed #2 with a discount promotion in the highly competitive black friday week.
F7 placed #10 (behind GTS in value chart) with a discount promotion in the not very competitive week 1.

It's not difficult to see which promotion had the highest consumer reaction.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The better racing game is higher on the chart. Pretenders well below it. Congrats GTA5 Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.