• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
AOT 2 is #10 on theSwitchchart. Even Rayman Legends sold more last week. As for the PS4 version, the titans were outsold by Monster Hunter World and even Shadow of the Colossus. In Japan both PS4 and Switch versions were pretty close though.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
3DS software sales have been dead in the UK for the last 2 years, Pokémon surge in 2016 was the only exception.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
The records will be something to do with most played new IP or something like that.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
You really can't expect much more than 25k-50k first week retail or SoT. It was never going to be a big seller at retail and will lack legs much beyond second week.

Last edited:

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Good debut for A Way Out.
Not a perfect game but I thoroughly enjoyed playing through it over the weekend.

Hopefully Hazelight are seeing decent sales all round, even more so as EA doesn't surprisingly get a cut.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I was wasn't being sarcastic I genuinely asking a question.
i can genuinely tell you that MS will probably announce some sort of weird stats about 'most xxx did on xxx' about Sea of thieves too..

in fact, it's almost certainly 'most distance sailed' (or something equivalent) will be one of those stats.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
i can genuinely tell you that MS will probably announce some sort of weird stats about 'most xxx did on xxx' about Sea of thieves too..

in fact, it's almost certainly 'most distance sailed' (or something equivalent) will be one of those stats.
We already know it had over 1m players in 48 hours tho.

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't see any copies of NnK2 at the Asda or Smyths Toys store by me even the day before release, so it looks like the numbers shipped were quite low or only enough to fulfill preorders. There was definitely more hype around the first game, with it being co-produced by Studio Ghibli, and Drippy being the infinitely more lovable mascot.

I ended up buying it digital on the PS store.

I bought the first game upon release. Somewhat childish(duh) but i really enjoyed it overall… payed zero interest in part 2 and i don't know why.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some quick notes.

GfK is basically irrelevant without digital data. Even more so for games like Sea of Thieves that have both digital download and Gamepass versions of the game missing from the sales. Looking at the packaged sales numbers alone, you'd think the game didn't do very well because it sold similar numbers to Quantum Break packaged. But then you remember that digital skews higher on Xbox, Gamepass has a free trial, not to mention there is a PC version too and ultimately it's really hard to know just how much it sold based on the GfK number.

Ni No Kuni 2 opened lower than the first game did on PS3. But with digital sales missing, it's hard to know what it actually sold in total and if it was indeed higher than the first game. The main takeaway though is that Ni No Kuni remains fairly niche in the UK.

So to sum up. GfK is becoming more and more irrelevant and I can't wait for GSD to take over in 2019.

Is Detective Pikachu one of the worst selling spin offs for Pokemon?

You would think such a product will appeal to kids....

Doesn't bode well for y/e upcoming movies. Maybe Pokemon fever is over in the UK.

Arkert

Oct 28, 2017
Some quick notes.

GfK is basically irrelevant without digital data. Even more so for games like Sea of Thieves that have both digital download and Gamepass versions of the game missing from the sales. Looking at the packaged sales numbers alone, you'd think the game didn't do very well because it sold similar numbers to Quantum Break packaged. But then you remember that digital skews higher on Xbox, Gamepass has a free trial, not to mention there is a PC version too and ultimately it's really hard to know just how much it sold based on the GfK number.

Ni No Kuni 2 opened lower than the first game did on PS3. But with digital sales missing, it's hard to know what it actually sold in total and if it was indeed higher than the first game. The main takeaway though is that Ni No Kuni remains fairly niche in the UK.

So to sum up. GfK is becoming more and more irrelevant and I can't wait for GSD to take over in 2019.
What is GSD exactly?

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Oh
It's a first first party MS game that launched on GP. It's 100% the best openning at least
With gamers cashing in their free trials there's little to garner from first week/month stats. Quite honestly we may never get official stats beyond the opening period as that will give a good indication of sales/growth, something Microsoft does their best to obfuscate.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
AOT 2 is #10 on theSwitchchart. Even Rayman Legends sold more last week. As for the PS4 version, the titans were outsold by Monster Hunter World and even Shadow of the Colossus. In Japan both PS4 and Switch versions were pretty close though.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110033

Going by the Value Charts, the Switch SKU was the second best-selling version of the game, by charting at 36th (the PS4 one was 22nd). The prices should be the same across all SKUs, so the different SKUs order should be accurate enough.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Detective Pikachu one of the worst selling spin offs for Pokemon?

You would think such a product will appeal to kids....

Doesn't bode well for y/e upcoming movies. Maybe Pokemon fever is over in the UK.

Pokémon is absolutely massive in the U.K.

The 3DS is not. Its time has come and gone.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sea of Thieves is 2018's PUBG? Come on, all I heard about PUBG was how awesome it was and how I had to play it. The biggest noise about Sea of Thieves is that it's an unfinished dissapointment. It hardly sounds like it's on the verge of blowing up.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
All Formats Chart Week Ending - 1st August 1998

Code:
01    NE    BANJO-KAZOOIE    NINTENDO    NINTENDO    N64
02    01    COLIN MCRAE RALLY    CODE MASTERS    CODE MASTERS    PlayStation
03    02    PREMIER MANAGER 98    GREMLIN INTERACTIVE    GREMLIN INTERACTIVE    PlayStation
04    03    GRAN TURISMO    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    PlayStation
05    04    WORLD CUP 98    EA SPORTS    ELECTRONIC ARTS    PlayStation
06    06    POINT BLANK    NAMCO    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    PlayStation
07    07    TOMB RAIDER    PLATINUM    EIDOS INTERACTIVE    PlayStation, Saturn, PC CD-ROM
08    05    SPICEWORLD    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    PlayStation
09    NE    X-FILES THE GAME    FOX INTERACTIVE    ELECTRONIC ARTS    PC CD-ROM
10    09    COMMANDOS: BEHIND ENEMY LINES    EIDOS INTERACTIVE    EIDOS INTERACTIVE    PC CD-ROM
11    12    DIE HARD TRILOGY    PLATINUM    ELECTRONIC ARTS    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM, Saturn
12    08    THREE LIONS    TAKE 2    TAKE 2    PlayStation
13    14    GAMEBOY GALLERY    NINTENDO    NINTENDO    Gameboy
14    13    TOMB RAIDER 2    EIDOS INTERACTIVE    EIDOS INTERACTIVE    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM
15    11    RESIDENT EVIL 2    VIRGIN    VIRGIN    PlayStation
16    23    CRASH BANDICOOT    PLATINUM    SONY COMPUTER ENT.    PlayStation
17    17    FIA FORMULA 1    PLATINUM    PSYGNOSIS    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM
18    15    THEME PARK    BULLFROG    ELECTRONIC ARTS    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM, Amiga
19    22    RAYMAN    PLATINUM    UBISOFT    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM
20    28    GRAND THEFT AUTO    DMA    TAKE 2    PlayStation, PC CD-ROM
Spiceworld hahahahahahaha

Love looking at old charts.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone smarter than I should do an editorial on the fact that JRPGs are now a whale genre. Companies are focusing on extracting a lot more cash out of the smaller pool of consumers.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
SoT at #1 without even considering digital sales and GP downloads is impressive, despite people trying to play it down.

Oct 29, 2017
Expected A Way Out to bomba, so really happy to see it doing well (or ostensibly doing well, no idea without absolute numbers).

France's chart is something else, lol.

Feb 26, 2018
With gamers cashing in their free trials there's little to garner from first week/month stats. Quite honestly we may never get official stats beyond the opening period as that will give a good indication of sales/growth, something Microsoft does their best to obfuscate.
Even tho MS loves to be silent on game sales (if they are bad or mediocre), I still think that SoT be a moderate success. It's a hyped game with a huge marketing push.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Four PS4 games in Top 5.

Xbox One "exclusive" at top. When did that last time happened?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
France chart is really something else, even in Japan I don't think Switch managed to claim the whole top 5 yet.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Some quick notes.

You and me both. Digital is essential, and it's the type of caveat that we always have to say when sharing/discussing sales data: Whether or not it includes digital format.

I expect to hear something from Microsoft soon about Sea of Thieves in terms of player numbers or engagement at least. Which will give an indication of how it's doing via the other channels especially Game Pass.