• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Did he really compare it to PUBG because uhh that's setting yourself up for disappointment.
In his latest podcast he made it clear much of his hype for the title was down to improvements he was told would be implemented on his visit to Rare......but never where. He also did comprehensive feedback reports and mock reviews for the title. He went on to say he needs to stop taking things at face value as he's been stung a few times. He has no SoT figures or data, once again it's information he's reporting on trust.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
For posterity's sake:
1522053879-8c1115f9305af11326b1b71974f9d4d0.jpg

Wish we could see some weekly numbers sometimes.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure if its a good opening for NNK2, but it is still good to see it open at #2 retail. Very beautiful looking game and plays great.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is that good for Ni no Kuni 2? :/

As Zhuge said, it's down from the original on PS3 in 2013. It's definitely not a great result.

It's a JRPG in the U.K. tho. Maybe with digital and those very expensive King Editions it did alright but yeah. Not a great start regardless.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For posterity's sake:

Wish we could see some weekly numbers sometimes.

Just for a little bit, I wish I worked at Micromania again. Working there during the Wii U days and right after the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One was depressing. I had nothing in common with most of the customers. I did have one woman expressing surprise that the Wii U had come out a year before because she thought there was so much hype for it. I don't know where she saw hype but for a minute it seemed like a success for someone at least.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of the new IP this gen, it may be the best opening ever(value wise). If we look at the new Ip this gen

-Sunset Overdrive
-Ryse
- Quantum break
- Ori
-Cuphead
-Sea of thieves
-Recore

It's probabky sold more than everything but cuphead and Ori. And those are $20 games so you could say it's the "biggest" new IP
Launch this Gen for MS studios
No initial retail release for either Ori or Cuphead.
And if we talked about combined sales, i'm pretty certain SoT outsold all those games.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you tell that it's selling nicely just by the chart placement without any numbers?

KennyLinder posted some numbers in another thread, 22k is a very low debut for a big budget game.
It's good because it's not counting digital for either PC or Xbox and also you can play it for $10. So you have X number of people that opted to pay full retail instead of $10

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think we can assume that with digital it sold better than Quantum Break by a good margin (Digital have grown, all Windows 10 sales are digital) and then there's Game Pass, that in a good portion must be actual suscriptors and not free trial.

And then sooner or later will come Micro transactions and there will be another way for Microsoft to monetize the game.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
And then, now is easy to say that it's a low number for a game with so much buzz, but it's not like people expected nothing before the first closed beta.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected less, why would you buy it at launch when you can try it for 2 weeks for free?
3 Possibilities.
- You're not interested in any sort of digital distribution.
- You want to own your games. Game Pass is pretty much a rental service.
- You already used your GamePass trial.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
You seriously think the game will do less than a million in an entire year despite a PC port in the fall?

There's tempering your expectations and then there's just silliness.
I think you misread what he wrote, the date is the end of this month? He's being pretty bullish.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
22,695 SoT
14,039 Way Out

Well, UK is the second strongest market for Xbox (after USA), so i expect SOT to sell 100,000-150,000 WW (physical + digital) in first week.
Taking this into consideration
Sea of Thieves had over 1 million players within 48 hours

i suppose at least 80-85 % of people played the game through Xbox GamePass, which is a very big number. I am very curious about it's future, how many of these people with GP will continue to play SoT after 2 weeks / 1M / 2M

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you tell that it's selling nicely just by the chart placement without any numbers?

KennyLinder posted some numbers in another thread, 22k is a very low debut for a big budget game.

Keep in mind, that hose numbers are most likely from the GFK report and not adjusted for the full market.
Afaik the GFK still only cover 85%?! of the market directly, right Bruno MB ?
That would line up with the roughly the same as QB statement from ZhugeEX and results in ~26.7k

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, UK is the second strongest market for Xbox (after USA), so i expect SOT to sell 100,000-150,000 WW (physical + digital) in first week.

The UK accounts for less than 15% of the total Xbox One market. It was a bit over 10% during the the 360 era.
~24k retail first week in the UK would be above 150k retail only alone.

Fist week total unique players will also be well above 1 million.
It was 1 million 48 hours after the digital launch in NZ. So that number only includes 24 hours of US retail consumers for example, the by far strongest Xbox market.

I'm sure we'll get some PR from MS at some point.

Last edited:

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I'm late, usually I do these on Mondays but I was extremely busy yesterday.
Nonetheless, here are the latest Dutch Switch eShop rankings. (Bold = new in the list, eshop sale)

1. Kirby Star Allies
2. Rocket League
3. Stardew Valley
4. VS. Super Mario Bros
5. TES V Skyrim
6. Minecraft
7. Steamworld Dig
8. Super Bomberman R
9. Fe

10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
11. Celeste
12. WonderBoy: The Dragon's Trap
13. The Sparkle 2 EVO
14. DOOM
15. Fifa 18

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind, that hose numbers are most likely from the GFK report and not adjusted for the full market.
Afaik the GFK still only cover 85%?! of the market directly, right Bruno MB ?
That would line up with the roughly the same as QB statement from ZhugeEX and results in ~26.7k

The Chart-Track panel is estimated to be around 95% of the UK retail market, at least when it comes to software.

Also, by roughly the same it doesn't exactly mean that they sold the same amount, there can be a difference of a few thousand units and that statement will still remain accurate. It is just to give us an idea on how it did it.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Chart-Track panel is estimated to be around 95% of the UK retail market, at least when it comes to software.

Also, by roughly the same it doesn't exactly mean that they sold the same amount, there can be a difference of a few thousand units and that statement will still remain accurate. It is just to give us an idea on how it did it.
Okay thanks for the correction Bruno. 95% is as good as NPD for the US market.
Always assumed GFK was worse with their coverage in the UK. But maybe that changed in the last few years.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Data is from Game digital PLC i assume.
Ps4 vs Xbox One ratio increased slightly to 1.3:1 from 1.2:1 earlier in the gen.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprising to see much more seasonal variability. I guess that's the rising popularity of Black Friday / Cybermonday in the UK?
Exactly. Even tho i would not call it surprising.
A much bigger piece of the hardware sales pie is now Q4.
Totally contrary to software that is more spread out over the full year.

Those charts perfectly show this.

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. Even tho i would not call it surprising.
A much bigger piece of the hardware sales pie is now Q4.
Totally contrary to software that is more spread out over the full year.

Those charts perfectly show this.
Yeah that's why I called it surprising, because the software roster is much more evenly spread nowadays, whereas it used to be a big push in the holidays. (Also with an aging demographic, buyers should be increasingly less dependent on Christmas gifts)