• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
The UK accounts for less than 15% of the total Xbox One market. It was a bit over 10% during the the 360 era.
~24k retail first week in the UK would be above 150k retail only alone.

Fist week total unique players will also be well above 1 million.
It was 1 million 48 hours after the digital launch in NZ. So that number only includes 24 hours of US retail consumers for example, the by far strongest Xbox market.

I'm sure we'll get some PR from MS at some point.
Maybe it's a Rare thing, but SoT has been performing far better (relatively) in the UK than US, going by Amazon Best Sellers. It's been around the top 10 in the UK for a couple of weeks, while the highest places sku in the US is #70.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Data is from Game digital PLC i assume.
Ps4 vs Xbox One ratio increased slightly to 1.3:1 from 1.2:1 earlier in the gen.

Well, this graph pretty much tell us PS4/XB1 numbers, rounded of course, but anyway: total is about 9 million.

PS4 = 5.13 million
XB1 = 3.87 million

With a margin of error of course, but still a clearly picture... Interesting.

PS4 gap seem to increase over time both worldwide and in UK, will be fun to see if this trend continue of maybe XB1 will be able to at least close the gap (in term of percents).

EDIT: Also XB1 is doing worse than 360 launch allinied in UK, while PS4 is doing way better than PS3.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The Chart-Track panel is estimated to be around 95% of the UK retail market, at least when it comes to software.

Also, by roughly the same it doesn't exactly mean that they sold the same amount, there can be a difference of a few thousand units and that statement will still remain accurate. It is just to give us an idea on how it did it.

I will repeat the question: Don't they estimate total market sales based on the sample they have?

If they sample 95% of the market it doesn't mean that they release sales data of those 95% but they make estimates of the entire market based on those 95%. Hence, regardless the sample is 20% or 95%, the final estimated sales should cover the full population of stores. Of course, the larger the sample, the more accurate the estimate. Also, the larger the sample, the more likely it is representative of the population (though not necessarily true).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's a Rare thing, but SoT has been performing far better (relatively) in the UK than US, going by Amazon Best Sellers. It's been around the top 10 in the UK for a couple of weeks, while the highest places sku in the US is #70.

I got my March NPD snack and beverage plans pre ordered.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

I am genuinely surprised that the Xbox 360 'only' had 56% of the pie last generation when it was the Wii and Xbox 360 that were both the dominant systems here in the UK. Thought the percentage ratio for PlayStation 3 was more like 35-40% so, 44% is a surprising figure to me!

I reckon the PlayStation 4 could very well eventually hit a 1.5:1 ratio.

You could buy an Xbox One S with Rocket League for £149 (or less, if you went through Quidco on the Microsoft Store) last November/December, and yet the PlayStation 4 is still a more desirable product despite always being more expensive...

It's incredible how the roles have swiftly reversed this generation.

To me, the Switch is gradually eating into Xbox One sales whereas the PlayStation 4 is seemingly unaffected, much like it is most countries I'd imagine.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I will repeat the question: Don't they estimate total market sales based on the sample they have?

If they sample 95% of the market it doesn't mean that they release sales data of those 95% but they make estimates of the entire market based on those 95%. Hence, regardless the sample is 20% or 95%, the final estimated sales should cover the full population of stores. Of course, the larger the sample, the more accurate the estimate. Also, the larger the sample, the more likely it is representative of the population (though not necessarily true).

GfK Chart-Track don't extrapolate in their reports, they just report the tracked sales from their panel of retailers which is estimated to cover 95% of the market.

The methodology can vary depending on the country since most national trackers were once separate companies with different methodologies before being acquired by GfK.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Ps4 vs Xbox One ratio increased slightly to 1.3:1 from 1.2:1 earlier in the gen."

wow and we thought it was 1.6:1

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Are we expecting the new chart Tuesday or will the long bank holiday really tamper with the info release?

"Ps4 vs Xbox One ratio increased slightly to 1.3:1 from 1.2:1 earlier in the gen."

wow and we thought it was 1.6:1
When did we think UK ps4:xb1 was that wide? It's always been reasonably close. I don't remember a time when we thought ps4 outsold xb1 by half as much again or more.

Data is from Game digital PLC i assume.
Ps4 vs Xbox One ratio increased slightly to 1.3:1 from 1.2:1 earlier in the gen.

Surprising to see much more seasonal variability. I guess that's the rising popularity of Black Friday / Cybermonday in the UK?

Exactly. Even tho i would not call it surprising.
A much bigger piece of the hardware sales pie is now Q4.
Totally contrary to software that is more spread out over the full year.

Those charts perfectly show this.

The chart says launch aligned. ps3 launched 1y, 3m, 3w after 360 in UK. That's a seasonal offset of over a quarter. The graph looks smoother because 360 and ps3 Q3s span over half a year's worth of graph.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
France Top 5: Week 12
Ni no Kuni 2: Collector's Edition
2. Ni no Kuni 2
3. Kirby Star Allies
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Super Mario Odyssey

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
France Top 5: Week 12
Ni no Kuni 2: Collector's Edition
2. Ni no Kuni 2
3. Kirby Star Allies
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Super Mario Odyssey

Thanks !

Like I said in the last thread, France loves Japan.

I am glad for NNK. Keep in mind that it is a value chart and the collector edition was pretty expensive.

Strong performance for Kirby. No Switch game managed to outsell MK8/Zelda/SMO so doing it two consecutive weeks is great !