• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a link showing which publishers share digital data in the French charts?

Also why does SOT get credit for Gamepass subs. Aren't there multiple games on gamepass splitting the $10 monthly sub fee?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure :P

Edit: Didn't take me 4 years and millions of dollars to make it though :P

I don't think the amount of years and money ensures you have a succesful game. Look at gran turismo, it's taken years and must have cost millions and it's following on from a very succesful franchise...its doing pretty well but it's not setting the world on fire is it?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the amount of years and money ensures you have a succesful game. Look at gran turismo, it's taken years and must have cost millions and it's following on from a very succesful franchise...its doing pretty well but it's not setting the world on fire is it?
Well, no. GTS could be seen as a disappointment, but it is still the best selling racing game, no?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Is there a link showing which publishers share digital data in the French charts?

Also why does SOT get credit for Gamepass subs. Aren't there multiple games on gamepass splitting the $10 monthly sub fee?

Because it's the first game that launched on Gamepass. It's like giving Game of Thrones credit for HBO's success. (Which is fair)

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Agree. Xbox is not supposed to be weak enough in France to stop a big release like Sea of Thieves to chart #3 or #4, at the very least above the several months old Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey, let's be serious, it's simply not a good performance. If Ni no Kuni II can put two SKUs, Sea of Thieves should also have been able to show itselft in the top 5 for the release week.
Mario games in france is like GTA in UK, not really comparable

Deleted member 59

I didn't realise the Atellier series wasn't a "top 40 on launch week" type of game.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Whataboutism now? That's were we're at?

Edit: I was jokingly answering to the other guy with the long name that told me that SoT was meh but so was my coment btw. At least my comment had an excuse to be meh, all I was saying. Not sure what GT has to do with anything

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Well, that's not a problem per se. But only if we should do the same for PS+ players. I see no fundamental differences between the 2 services: They are both rented games + additional deal on some of their store games. It's just that Sony merge online services with their own 'gamepass' games.

But I could see them doing like Microsoft in the future and splitting the 2 services.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, what's happening in the PAL threads lately? I hope we get digital sales included as soon as possible, measuring performance only on physical sales nowadays is definitely not proving anything (and wow at FC5 selling almost 50% digital in UK).

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I'm just intrigued by the gamepass/sales ratio on SoT.
Why do you care / 2 million is a great number / what's your problem ?/ stop downplaying the game's succes /s
Man, some people get so salty just because others want to know some real sales numbers, a thing that is completely normal.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it wrong? The impact of Sea of Thieves on the amount of Gamepass subs could be even higher in % than Game of Thrones on the amount of HBO subs. That's the perks of being the first.
4013796-2666810403-19615.gif

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Man, what's happening in the PAL threads lately? I hope we get digital sales included as soon as possible, measuring performance only on physical sales nowadays is definitely not proving anything (and wow at FC5 selling almost 50% digital in UK).
We're getting digital sales included next year. Do you have a link for the almost 50% digital sales for Far Cry 5?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you care / 2 million is a great number / what's your problem ?/ stop downplaying the game's succes /s
Some people get so salty just because others want to know some real sales numbers, a thing that is completely normal.
The thing is that sales are just not painting a whole picture in the future when it comes to games releasing also on Gamepass. I know many will turn this into a "MS is hiding sales numbers"-narrative but it is what it is and will not change for a long time. The traditional way of gathering money by sales physically has dramatically changed by digital sales and will continue to do so with subscriptions like Gamepass.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's not a problem per se. But only if we should do the same for PS+ players. I see no fundamental differences between the 2 services: They are both rented games + additional deal on some of their store games. It's just that Sony merge online services with their own 'gamepass' games.

But I could see them doing like Microsoft in the future and splitting the 2 services.
I think you are confusing Gamepass with Xbox Live Gold. :)

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Do we have the numbers for GTS overall because in MS's 2016 new years post, FM6 had past over 1 million units (They don't give the accurate numbers).

We will get a precise worldwide sales number when Polyphony update their website, like they do for each GT game. I guess they will update it at the end of this month when Sony gather their financial results in the end of fiscal year report.

For an inaccurate sales metric we can see that the GT website has over 4 million GTS profiles: Number of Gran Turismo Sport Profiles Statistics by Country

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it wrong? The impact of Sea of Thieves on the amount of Gamepass subs could be even higher in % than Game of Thrones on the amount of HBO subs. That's the perks of being the first.

GoT is helping HBO get subscribers because is the "must see TV show", winning multiple emmys, etc. How many GOTY awards will SoT get, you think? I don't think it will get many GOTY nominations, much less wins!

I think it would've helped Gamepass much more to have an actual GoT caliber game, so when people would use the free subscription they would've felt compelled to renew the service, which they probably won't do now.

Do we actually have real concrete numbers about this? How many people had gamepass before SoT, how many poeple used the free trial to play SoT, how many people subscribed without the free trial, and how many people renewed the subscription?

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Could be right? We don't know the amount of subs the service had before SoT. With 1-1,5 million players playing Sea of Thieves with Gamepass it could be a very high %. Ofcourse, in raw numbers it doesn't compare in any way.
You are aware of the gamepass 14 day free trial, right? That allows you to go play a brand new AAA game for 2 weeks for free? Your speculation is based on nothing of value and the comparison with GoT/HBO subs bizarre.

I'd like to know why there are only 2 million unique accounts having played SoT with a 59m MAU (reported Jan 18) userbase.

Is that 50% digital console sales (that's twice what I'd expect) or does that include PC digital sales as well? Was there a digital discount promotion or something, what makes this single title buck the trend of between 20% and 25% given in last years full year figures?

Victory

Mar 25, 2018
We will get a precise worldwide sales number when Polyphony update their website, like they do for each GT game. I guess they will update it at the end of this month when Sony gather their financial results in the end of fiscal year report.

For an inaccurate sales metric we can see that the GT website has over 4 million GTS profiles: Number of Gran Turismo Sport Profiles Statistics by Country

I hate the fact we don't have numbers. Anyway, that is a good number of profiles for GTS/Polyphony, I wish them success.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
You are aware of the gamepass 14 day free trial, right? That allows you to go play a brand new AAA game for 2 weeks for free? Your speculation is based on nothing of value and the comparison with GoT/HBO subs bizarre.

I'd like to know why there are only 2 million unique accounts having played SoT with a 59m MAU (reported Jan 18) userbase.

Is that 50% digital console sales (that's twice what I'd expect) or does that include PC digital sales as well? Was there a digital discount promotion or something, what makes this single title buck the trend of between 20% and 25% given in last years full year figures?
PC is included which I totally forgot about. That would explain the high digital percentage.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I'm aware of the trial. Still, Gamepass has grown substantially because of SoT. Thats the only thing I was saying. Compactable to GoT/HBO rates. The users won't stay, I'm aware of that. Still a big positive for MS.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was on all platforms but I don't know how big PC is in UK.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware of the trial. Still, Gamepass has grown substantially because of SoT. Thats the only thing I was saying. Compactable to GoT/HBO rates. The users won't stay, I'm aware of that. Still a big positive for MS.

First, if the users don't stay, then it hasn't grown, has it? But we don't have data about that

And second, and most important, GoT helps HBO subscribers (it doesn't make them triple btw, HBO subscribers have tripled because before you couldn't subscribe outside the US and now you can. But it certainly helps) because it's fucking awesome.
Does SoT increase the gamepass subscribers because it's awesome like GoT or because it's the first game? If it's the latter (which it is, as you yourself pointed out saying "perks of being first") then is NOTHING like GoT and HBO

Lolosgolos

Oct 28, 2017

It says 500K XBL friends made which means live subscriptions went up because of the SoT too