• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, French charts are both revenue-based and include digital sales from several publishers.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My point was that the number of XB1 sold in France wasn't a insignificant number and SoT should have been able to chart in France Chart. Would you like provide the Physical/digital split for games in France. It can definitely be said it sold poorly at retail in France and the UK. Whether its success is another question.
I dunno, for example Gears of War 4 only hit 4th in its release week (although that was with FIFA only recently released, of course, but then again also below a non-release week Mafia 3 PS4). As such, the XB1 games performances don't seem that impressive in France (at least compared to UK), and I didn't feel like Sea of Thieves would be any different (I didn't expect Sea of Thieves to be a Halo 5 or Gears or even Forza level sales title, personally, but a bit lower). As for the digital thing, obviously we don't have numbers, my argument was simply that Sea of Thieves is an online-only title and therefore probably skews more towards digital. Furthermore, it's included on Game Pass, so its sales performance is skewed anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
My point was that the number of XB1 sold in France wasn't a insignificant number and SoT should have been able to chart in France Chart.

Agree. Xbox is not supposed to be weak enough in France to stop a big release like Sea of Thieves to chart #3 or #4, at the very least above the several months old Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey, let's be serious, it's simply not a good performance. If Ni no Kuni II can put two SKUs, Sea of Thieves should also have been able to show itselft in the top 5 for the release week.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My point was that the number of XB1 sold in France wasn't a insignificant number and SoT should have been able to chart in France Chart. Would you like provide the Physical/digital split for games in France. It can definitely be said it sold poorly at retail in France and the UK. Whether its success is another question.
The UK is SoT strongest market in Europe and it didn´t really set the charts on fire there either. I doubt there is much interest for this game in continental Europe, certainly not in Germany.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I see, that changes things a bit. There's still the Game Pass factor that influences sales, but SoT not hitting the top 5 with digital included does seem a bit weak. I don't peg it as a particularly big release, but not being over the Nintendo leggy titles for one week with digital included is not a good showing (since I believed SoT to have a high digital share while the Nintendo games typically don't).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The UK is SoT strongest market in Europe and it didn´t really set the charts on fire there either. I doubt there is much interest for this game in continental Europe, certainly not in Germany.

The 2 million players need to come from somewhere. And they are certainly not coming from Asia.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
That makes it even worse for MS, haha.
I see, that changes things a bit. There's still the Game Pass factor that influences sales, but SoT not hitting the top 5 with digital included does seem a bit weak. I don't peg it as a particularly big release, but not being over the Nintendo leggy titles for one week with digital included is not a good showing (since I believed SoT to have a high digital share while the Nintendo games typically don't).
Like I said before the sales are poor but when you as Microsoft have changed your definition of success poor sales doesn't mean you can't a achieve success.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox and France is sorta incompatible for some reason....

i will also not be surprised it will not chart at all on the monthly Germany chart as well as Germany is literally PlaystationHQ - European Edition.

I have checked the German Amazon chart for March and you might be right as SoT is on #54 followed by FIFA 18 Switch. Though it should be noted that we have no digital data and the PC version might have sold better since PC gaming is bigger here. We will see.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I have checked the German Amazon chart for March and you might be right as SoT is on #54 followed by FIFA 18 Switch. Though it should be noted that we have no digital data and the PC version might have sold better since PC gaming is bigger here. We will see.
French includes digital since the start of the year.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ni no kuni 2 dropped off a cliff. I'm guessing the UK just isn't into those types of games as much anymore. Massive shame on my home country. :( Sea of thieves holding well. Far cry 5 killed it!

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
And they are certainly not coming from Asia.
as an asian (singaporean), i kinda agrees with you on this one...

i am having a hard time understand how SoT can caught on in Asia.....many of the westerners might have daydreamt as 'pirates' while they were wee lads...but 'pirates daydreaming' is definitely not something we did back as a kid....just purely anecdotal. Anyone from Asia here and dreamt as a pirate back then, feel free to correct me.

add to the quirky humour and style that is to 'british', again...i really don't think SoT is something of international appeal.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
The 2 million players need to come from somewhere. And they are certainly not coming from Asia.

Gamepass. There are way too many people who believe this game sold 2 million units and when you try to prove them, that it didn't they want exact numbers to prove that point. And none can give those numbers

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Game sharing the 2 million players between 63 accounts, so I hear.

Nice to to see the tone of these threads not changing either, lol.

You are of course welcome to disprove how 22k for physical sales in UK launch week means that the majority of the 2 million players total worldwide does not come from Game Pass. That's the only thing that was said in the conversation, so there's no need to jump in with an over the top mocking remark.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Kirby still being in the top 20 after 3 weeks on the market is pretty remarkable. Top 15 even, when looking at the individual formats chart. Looks like the game has quite a bit of legs. Looking forward to see what Mario Tennis Aces is going to do in June.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling - Please don’t come into a sales thread to dismiss discussion about sales.
Lame response.

I'm just intrigued by the gamepass/sales ratio on SoT.

Arent we all but we'll probably never get them. How people react to that is up to them.

Would like to expand on your comments specifically what you take issue with and I do my best to address it?

Same as your posts then.

You are of course welcome to disprove how 22k for physical sales in UK launch week means that the majority of the 2 million players total worldwide does not come from Game Pass. That's the only thing that was said in the conversation, so there's no need to jump in with an over the top mocking remark.

Love that you three responded to me :)

Sea of Theives had two million unique users in one week, through Game Pass, retail and digital. I dont care about how much either contributes over the other - just the over all number - and can I just add its great to see Twitch numbers about Sea of Thieves being linked into this thread about the UK charts to help frame the conversation - hence the tone comment. I see how this thread is going to go and for that, I'm out. Enjoy the debate chaps and chapesses :)

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Kirby still being in the top 20 after 3 weeks on the market is pretty remarkable. Top 15 even, when looking at the individual formats chart. Looks like the game has quite a bit of legs. Looking forward to see what Mario Tennis Aces is going to do in June.
Yeah seeing a £40 Kirby game having longer legs than A Way Out on the Individual charts is really surprising

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Arent we all but we'll probably never get them. How people react to that is up to them.

Sea of Theives had two million unique users in one week, through Game Pass, retail and digital. I dont care about how much either contributes over the other - just the over all number - and can I just add its great to see Twitch numbers about Sea of Thieves being linked into this thread about the UK charts to help frame the conversation - hence the tone comment. I see how this thread is going to go and for that, I'm out. Enjoy the debate chaps and chapesses :)
There are two aspects to look at: direct sales, which bring in money up-front, and active users, which bring in money in the long term. 2M users is great, now it's up to the game to keep them engaged such that they are around when the monetisation schemes shift into gear. Having low sales in digital/retail and high Game Pass attachment is not at all bad, but it does require the game to maintain the users' interest, in order to keep them around for monetisation and to retained the Game Pass subscriptions.

In short, then, the last couple of years have shown that user engagement is important, but up-front sales are important, too. Striking a balance between the two is perfectly possible, but we can't conclude quite yet how successful the game is from pure user numbers: as described above, they need to actually get money from them for that to be important. If they manage to, then the game could be massively successful. So, it's a wait-and-see situation, but one with a promising start. At least, that's how I view it.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Xbox and France is sorta incompatible for some reason....

i will also not be surprised it will not chart at all on the monthly Germany chart as well as Germany is literally PlaystationHQ - European Edition.
UK charts and subsequent PR always give a best case scenario for Microsoft titles. Same pattern was followed with Quantum Break, minus the GamePass inflated player numbers. You'll be looking at 250K-350K retail sales worldwide in the opening weeks......the majority coming from the US. How that translates to European charts is anyone's guess, but a few top 10's is not out of the question.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

This thread is about sales in the pal region. Sales have been poor. Could you quote the post about Twitch numbers because the only post I see are in regards to demographic of streamers and none relating to games sells. However would streaming stat correlate with user engagement numbers? You say you don't care about the breakdown that contributed to 2 million unique users yet your
comments with people who do.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What on earth are you talking about. The thread is about PAL sales and the debate about french viewers and the subsequent link to twitch viewer demographics are entirely relevant.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game sharing the 2 million players between 63 accounts, so I hear.

Nice to to see the tone of these threads not changing either, lol.
Are you arguing that including Gamepass "tryouts" doesn't fudge sale numbers?
If you pay $10 a month for a service, it kinda makes sense to try something that comes included with it I think.
It tells nothing of the interest in the title itself, or what the retention will be on a game that apparently has a big content problem.

I hope we get a clearer picture with NPD.