• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
First, if the users don't stay, then it hasn't grown, has it? But we don't have data about that

And second, and most important, GoT helps HBO subscribers (it doesn't make them triple btw, HBO subscribers have tripled because before you couldn't subscribe outside the US and now you can. But it certainly helps) because it's fucking awesome.
Does SoT increase the gamepass subscribers because it's awesome like GoT or because it's the first game? If it's the latter (which it is, as you yourself pointed out saying "perks of being first") then is NOTHING like GoT and HBO

Alright. I agree. The reason for subscribing( OR trying) to Gamepass is indeed different.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Higher amount gamepass users prior, plus can gamepass be used by other people on your XB1 with without needing to purchase other like Xbox live? In regards to sales I believe it will track similarly/slightly better than QB but I unsure how much QB had sold after two weeks.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
GoT is helping HBO get subscribers because is the "must see TV show", winning multiple emmys, etc. How many GOTY awards will SoT get, you think? I don't think it will get many GOTY nominations, much less wins!

I think it would've helped Gamepass much more to have an actual GoT caliber game, so when people would use the free subscription they would've felt compelled to renew the service, which they probably won't do now.

Do we actually have real concrete numbers about this? How many people had gamepass before SoT, how many poeple used the free trial to play SoT, how many people subscribed without the free trial, and how many people renewed the subscription?

We will never see those numbers. Just like Microsoft doesnt give us MAU on Gold members. It only gives us MAU on live users.

For gamepass, they will give us only how many people have registered for gamepass or stuff like that. I don't think they are going to tell us active users etc.

"Since the launch of gamepass, we've had 7 million unique subscribers!"

That's what we will hear on E3.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
France likes all kinds of Animated series, not only Japanese. Is the meca of comics (Bande Dessinee in french) in Europe, alonside the french -speaking side of Belgium

We will never see those numbers. Just like Microsoft doesnt give us MAU on Gold members. It only gives us MAU on live users.

For gamepass, they will give us only how many people have registered for gamepass or stuff like that. I don't think they are going to tell us active users etc.

But at one in time we will get some kind of numbers, no? Stock holders meeting or financial reports? We do have the total nombers for Ps Plus and Xbox Live/Games with Gold, and all the money they bring, right?

Alright. I agree. The reason for subscribing( OR trying) to Gamepass is indeed different.

You are a cool dude. Never see someone admit to something on a forum lol

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Higher amount gamepass users prior, plus can gamepass be used by other people on your XB1 with without needing to purchase other like Xbox live? In regards to sales I believe it will track similarly/slightly better than QB but I unsure how much QB had sold after two weeks.

I don't know. I do not own a Xbox. 500k subs to Gamepass before 2018 seems like a lot to me.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I think they'll report active users on GamePass the same way they do with Office365.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It is Nintendo 3rd biggest market and the biggest western anime/manga market.

Thanks. Good to know.

That doesn't sound too farfetched. However I would attribute most largest increase in sub to the announcement of future 1st party games being released to Gamepass.

Yeah, it will be really difficult to know if people came for Sea of Thieves or because of the announcement of all those games coming to Gamepass. We will never have those insights I guess.

Interested in the split between PC/Xbox. Because I think PC users will surely (90%+) cancel their sub after 1-2 months.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Thanks. Good to know.

Yeah, it will be really difficult to know if people came for Sea of Thieves or because of the announcement of all those games coming to Gamepass. We will never have those insights I guess.

Interested in the split between PC/Xbox. Because I think PC users will surely (90%+) cancel their sub after 1-2 months.
Or maybe they don't because of State of Decay 2.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Or maybe they don't because of State of Decay 2.

Three of my friends who have done the 2-month deal will not stay. Only one of them will; he's staying for State of Decay 2. But that's only because I told him SoD2 was also coming to Gamepass. He doesn't care for Halo Wars, Gears or ReCore tho. Forza Horizon had his interest, but that's not on GP.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Three of my friends who have done the 2-month deal will not stay. Only one of them will; he's staying for State of Decay 2. But that's only because I told him SoD2 was also coming to Gamepass. He doesn't care for Halo Wars, Gears or ReCore tho. Forza Horizon had his interest, but that's not on GP.

Three of my friends will extend their game pass subs and now we have an "anecdotal paradoxon" , oops.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. Good to know.

Hopefully Microsoft start reporting Gamepass subscriber numbers.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, if the users don't stay, then it hasn't grown, has it? But we don't have data about that

And second, and most important, GoT helps HBO subscribers (it doesn't make them triple btw, HBO subscribers have tripled because before you couldn't subscribe outside the US and now you can. But it certainly helps) because it's fucking awesome.
Does SoT increase the gamepass subscribers because it's awesome like GoT or because it's the first game? If it's the latter (which it is, as you yourself pointed out saying "perks of being first") then is NOTHING like GoT and HBO

Seems like the point is completely lost on you. SoT and GoT are drivers for adoption. Its that simple. The quality of these titles is irrelevant. Lots of people bought subs for these titles, given its a game that encourages social play I can see friends imploring others to join on the basis they get to play SoT together. And SoT can personally be more enjoyable than GoT, given the fun its offering, that's why assumed quality is irrelevant in this argument as its down to personal experience.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the point is completely lost on you. SoT and GoT are drivers for adoption. Its that simple. The quality of these titles is irrelevant. Lots of people bought subs for these titles, given its a game that encourages social play I can see friends imploring others to join on the basis they get to play SoT together. And SoT can personally be more enjoyable than GoT, given the fun its offering, that's why assumed quality is irrelevant in this argument.
9477871.gif

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
poker holding surprisingly well, appearing in the revenue charts... would have expected a game like arms or even the more recent bayonetta and xenoblade to be higher than it.

also, the performance of detective pikachu is so strange to me... i can't for the life of me understand that increase.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Seems like the point is completely lost on you. SoT and GoT are drivers for adoption. Its that simple. The quality of these titles is irrelevant. Lots of people bought subs for these titles, given its a game that encourages social play I can see friends imploring others to join on the basis they get to play SoT together. And SoT can personally be more enjoyable than GoT, given the fun its offering, that's why assumed quality is irrelevant in this argument.

Let's say I don't fully agree ;)

If Sea of Thieves was a real high quality sandbox (Lets say, Minecraft-esque) it would have had a much bigger pull. The advantage of interactive media such as video games is the longevity, so when State of Decay 2 drops, Sea of Thieves is still relevant. I know many more people who replay games than people that rewatch movies.

But, with the mediocre reviews of Sea of Thieves, the game has driven adaption for a short period of time. MS now really needs SoD2 to be really good to drive further adaption and to convince current Gamepass-subs to keep subscribing.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say I don't fully agree ;)

If Sea of Thieves was a real high quality sandbox (Lets say, Minecraft-esque) it would have had a much bigger pull. The advantage of interactive media such as video games is the longevity, so when State of Decay 2 drops, Sea of Thieves is still relevant. I know many more people who replay games than people that rewatch movies.

But, with the mediocre reviews of Sea of Thieves, the game has driven adaption for a short period of time. MS now really needs SoD2 to be really good to drive further adaption and to convince current Gamepass-subs to keep subscribing.

If this was an absolute rule we'd not see the game jump from 1 to > 2 million despite all the negativity, games like Fortnite and even PUBG were received as average titles that but werent really hurt by impressions. Ofcourse if it was a 80+ game we'd see an improvement but GaaS games seem to be immune to reviews when the barrier of entry is so low. They have a core hook which keep people playing and increasing. Regarding SoT, Gamepass sub increase is based on it ofcourse, and the promise of first part AAA titles available on day one will help bring others over time, by which it'd be reasonable to assume a matured SoT game would also be a driving force in that decision, if look at what Fortnite and PUBG has grown into, overtime, id expect something similar.

Like the GoT comparison its an IP that bolsters the value of the sub.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If this was an absolute rule we'd not see the game jump from 1 to > 2 million despite all the negativity, games like Fortnite and even PUBG were received as average titles that but werent really hurt by impressions. Ofcourse if it was a 80+ game we'd see an improvement but GaaS games seem to be immune to reviews when the barrier of entry is so low. They have a core hook which keep people playing and increasing. Regarding SoT, Gamepass sub increase is based on it ofcourse, and the promise of first part AAA titles available on day one will help bring others over time, by which it'd be reasonable to assume a matured SoT game would also be a driving force in that decision, much of what Fortnite and PUBG has grown into.

Like the GoT comparison its an IP that bolsters the value of the sub.

Agree. I'm just not sure if it will increase. After 2 months all the 2 month-subs will be gone and State of Decay will be the new pull. If SoT has improved by then and it still has a reasonable userbase it could become a very solid centerpiece for the service.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will do.

Could you please provide evidence of SoT "complete success". Cheers in advance.

Its ok, MS have stated as well as insiders pointing to it breaking internal records. You can post as many gif as you like to use whatever tactic you want to shield yourself from this, but MS are happy with its performance, we're going to (thankfully) get more SoT for now.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the point is completely lost on you. SoT and GoT are drivers for adoption. Its that simple. The quality of these titles is irrelevant. Lots of people bought subs for these titles, given its a game that encourages social play I can see friends imploring others to join on the basis they get to play SoT together. And SoT can personally be more enjoyable than GoT, given the fun its offering, that's why assumed quality is irrelevant in this argument as its down to personal experience.

He already conceded the point so I think the one that is lost here is you

Edit: To make it clear to you, is not SoT, it's the fact thay they had a 14d trial and SoT was the first game after they announced all first party would be on Gamepass, which was also a "driver of adoption".

So nothing like GoT and HBO

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Most sold Windows 10 game.
Best stelling new IP from Microsoft this gen
2 million active players in the launch week

That's success. If they can maintain the success is the next question.
You yourself estimated sales was 500k maybe is that number success? It been dropping down the most played chart which would indicate dropping user engagement is that success?

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most sold Windows 10 game.
Best stelling new IP from Microsoft this gen
2 million active players in the launch week

That's success. If they can maintain the success is the next question.

1) Amazing cause everything is selling so well on the W10 Store right?
2) A really high hurdle considering how amazingly well Quantum Break etc sold :) (they didn't)
3) They got people interested and having an option to try it out for kinda free surely helped a lot - Now its about how long they can sustain this and they are more than likely already down by a lot.From this its failry hard to judge success without concrete numbers from them.

But obviously everyone has other standards of success

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Its ok, MS have stated as well as insiders pointing to it breaking internal records. You can post as many gif as you like to use whatever tactic you want to shield yourself from this, but MS are happy with its performance, we're going to (thankfully) get more SoT for now.

Are they though? Or they are just saying it tl save face?

I'll help you: It's the second option!

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
See my above post. It seems to be you who is unwilling to engage and back up there statement. So again I ask can you back up your statement?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
You yourself estimated sales was 500k maybe is that number success? It been dropping down the most played chart which would indicate dropping user engagement is that success?

If my estimate of 500k sales is correct it would mean 1,5million Gamepass-subs (Yes, with trial users. Which they can't use again for State of Decay, Forza, Halo, etc.). For a game with mediocre reviews and a new IP. Yes, I would say it's a success.
About the user engagement; I don't know if that is going to be a success. That's all going to depend on new content, user engagement, other Gamepass titles, the acceptance of the Microsoft Store on W10, etc.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
1) Amazing cause everything is selling so well on the W10 Store right?
They have to start somewhere. I think it's a good sign it sold more than Forza Horizon 3 which is a really good game.

2) A really high hurdle considering how amazingly well Quantum Break etc sold :) (they didn't)
And Ori.. (which was also on Steam)

3) They got people interested and having an option to try it out for kinda free surely helped a lot - Now its about how long they can sustain this and they are more than likely already down by a lot.From this its failry hard to judge success without concrete numbers from them.
Yup, their next goal should be keeping user engagement as high as possible with either new Gamepass subs or re-subs.

But obviously everyone has other standards of success

I hope you didn't think it would be Mario, God of War or Halo. ;)[/QUOTE]

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
If my estimate of 500k sales is correct it would mean 1,5million Gamepass-subs (Yes, with trial users. Which they can't use again for State of Decay, Forza, Halo, etc.). For a game with mediocre reviews and a new IP. Yes, I would say it's a success.
About the user engagement; I don't know if that is going to be a success. That's all going to depend on new content, user engagement, other Gamepass titles, the acceptance of the Microsoft Store on W10, etc.
Your calculation doesn't take into account only one Gamepass sub is need per household.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
You can say the same for normal copies.
Gamesharing has been arround since 2013.
But when you report sale figures, it doesn't matter how many people played it. It matter when you report the number of players, especially for a game without microtransactions (and it's the case for every game that we only know the player number)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
But when you report sale figures, it doesn't matter how many people played it. It matter when you report the number of players, especially for a game without microtransactions (and it's the case for every game that we only know the player number)

Yeah, that's true.
Player numbers =/= sales.
Sales = Sales.