• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It says 500K XBL friends made which means live subscriptions went up because of the SoT too

I don't get how that means 500K new gold subscribers?

Tried to multi quote but mobile.

So thanks to the poster above for the link.

As far as SOT maybe it did cause game pass subs to go up or maybe it's just that MS finally started marketing it now that they have a proof of concept game for it. Idk but I don't think "but game pass" is valid for justifying these UK sales. Digital sales I can somewhat see but game pass is too nebulous since the revenue isn't going directly to SOT. Now if gamepass had no 3rd party content I can see the one to one correlation.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Digital sales I can somewhat see but game pass is too nebulous since the revenue isn't going directly to SOT. Now if gamepass had no 3rd party content I can see the one to one correlation.

Yeah, but we'll never be able to do that with Xbox first party games again. State of Decay 2 will have less sales because of GamePass, but we won't know how much because Sea of Thieves, Gears of War 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc. are on it. And it will get even more impossible in a few years time.

The revenue is going to Microsoft, just as it would with normal sales. The third party games kinda ruin the calculation..

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whataboutism now? That's were we're at?

Edit: I was jokingly answering to the other guy with the long name that told me that SoT was meh but so was my coment btw. At least my comment had an excuse to be meh, all I was saying. Not sure what GT has to do with anything

it's a sales thread, you think SoT is a flop...I don't think GT Sport has done extremely well, its the first true Sony funded exclusive that I saw in the chart. it only really sold any units once it's price had slashed. I think MS needs to slash the price of SoT. It shouldn't be ÂŁ50. Maybe it will see another sales boost at ÂŁ20 to ÂŁ30 like GT Sport did at ÂŁ20

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
it's a sales thread, you think SoT is a flop...I don't think GT Sport has done extremely well, its the first true Sony funded exclusive that I saw in the chart. it only really sold any units once it's price had slashed. I think MS needs to slash the price of SoT. It shouldn't be ÂŁ50. Maybe it will see another sales boost at ÂŁ20 to ÂŁ30 like GT Sport did at ÂŁ20
It underperformed compared to prior iterations however it sold <150k before pricecut that not a small amount.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Microsoft was also really happy with Quantum Break sales. And we know what happened since then

Exactly

SoT shouldn't be ÂŁ50, in that you're right.
I don't see the comparison with GTSz though. I don't think we'll see a SoT 2 for example.

GTS sold much more before the price drop and continued to sell after that. GTS is stronger WW, whereae UK is one of the stronger markets for SoT. One is GAAS and the other not so much. One is a new IP, with a lot of hopes pinned to it, and the other is an stablished franchise

I think overall Sony is happy with GTS performance, and MS can't really be happy with how SoT turned out to be. Maybe
because GTS is not as important to Sony as SoT was supposed to be for MS

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Oh I am pretty sure SoT will sell well at the ÂŁ20-30 price range. GT Sport and FIFA 18 Switch have shown that they can sell well in the UK if the price is right.

Mar 10, 2018
I don't think GT Sport has done extremely well, its the first true Sony funded exclusive that I saw in the chart. it only really sold any units once it's price had slashed.

GTS sold below 200k in UK at retail before first price cut. That's really decent number. Anyway, comparing with older titles, GTS outsold individually GT1, GT3 and GT6 in launch week.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Far Cry is such a beast, Ubisoft is killing it recently and i'm happy about that.

series like Far Cry, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon are at his peak, Assassin's Creed is not as big as during his gold days, but right now is growing and that's very good.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Exactly

I don't see the comparison with GTSz though. I don't think we'll see a SoT 2 for example.

GTS sold much more before the price drop and continued to sell after that. GTS is stronger WW, whereae UK is one of the stronger markets for SoT. One is GAAS and the other not so much. One is a new IP, with a lot of hopes pinned to it, and the other is an stablished franchise

I think overall Sony is happy with GTS performance, and MS can't really be happy with how SoT turned out to be. Maybe
I think it's also important to say much of the work put into GTS and SoT can be applied to their sequels (or future updates). It's not like The Order 1886 where they'd need to start afresh for the sequel.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
poker holding surprisingly well, appearing in the revenue charts... would have expected a game like arms or even the more recent bayonetta and xenoblade to be higher than it.

also, the performance of detective pikachu is so strange to me... i can't for the life of me understand that increase.

UK seems to hate arms for some reason. It never even charts on the switch charts.
But pokken having great legs is no surprise, especially compared to xeno and bayo. Its usually neck and neck with arms in weekly japan sales and isnt slowing down.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Exactly

Where are you pulling this stuff from? You think Sony is happy with gt sport yet Microsoft can't be happy with sea of thieves. Is your post the example of when I see people say "tales from my ass"?

I mean seriously you are completely assuming everything. Did gt sport have 2 million players in its first week? I would hope it did to be honest. I'd expect the gt franchise to see that many players.

I hope we don't see s sea of thieves 2 I'd like them to build on what they have

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
Week 12, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (--) PS4 FIFA 18 - >8,000 / 710,000
02 (NE) PS4 Ni no Kuni 2 - 8,000 / NEW

XX (NE) 3DS Detective Pikachu - 3,000 / NEW
XX (NE) PS4 A Way Out - 2,700 / NEW
XX (NE) XBO Sea of Thieves - 1,000 / NEW

elumVdB.png

Spain:
Week 13, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 Far Cry 5 - 40,000 / NEW
02 (01) PS4 FIFA 18 - 4,500 / 715,000
03 (NE) XBO Far Cry 5 - 3,500 / NEW
04 (--) PS4 A Way Out - 3,000 / 5,700
05 (--) NSW Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3,000 / 205,000

XX (--) 3DS Detective Pikachu - 2,100 / 5,100
XX (02) PS4 Ni no Kuni 2 - 1,700 / 9,700
XX (--) XBO Sea of Thieves - 400 / 1,400

LTD Numbers

Monster Hunter World - PS4: 44,000 / XBO: 3,700
Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril - Vita: 34,000
God of War Collection - Vita: 12,000
WRC 5 - Vita: 9,000
Everybody's Golf - Vita: 4,000

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its expected and all but those sw sales differences between PS4 and Xbox in Spain are ridiculous lol.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
great to see Crash back in the top 20 and pushing for a place in the top 10! The Crash, Ratchet, Spyro bundle is going to be spectacular

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
Week 12, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (--) PS4 FIFA 18 - >8,000 / 710,000
02 (NE) PS4 Ni no Kuni 2 - 8,000 / NEW

XX (NE) 3DS Detective Pikachu - 3,000 / NEW
XX (NE) PS4 A Way Out - 2,700 / NEW
XX (NE) XBO Sea of Thieves - 1,000 / NEW

elumVdB.png

Spain:
Week 13, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 Far Cry 5 - 40,000 / NEW
02 (01) PS4 FIFA 18 - 4,500 / 715,000
03 (NE) XBO Far Cry 5 - 3,500 / NEW
04 (--) PS4 A Way Out - 3,000 / 5,700
05 (--) NSW Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3,000 / 205,000

XX (--) 3DS Detective Pikachu - 2,100 / 5,100
XX (02) PS4 Ni no Kuni 2 - 1,700 / 9,700
XX (--) XBO Sea of Thieves - 400 / 1,400

LTD Numbers

NNK2 did really really good in Spain and France. :D

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Detective Pikachu is doing way better than I expected, better second week than NNK in both Spain and UK is a surprise.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Far Cry 5 already super close to be the best selling title year to date in Spain, in just a week, absolutely insane considering Monster Hunter World also did extremely well.

Good start for 2018.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
elumVdB.png

LTD Numbers

I enjoy that we get numbers like this from Spain. Pretty hard to get Vita figures anywhere else.

Surprising to see WRC5 selling as much as it has considering how crap of a port it was. Same thing with LEGO Marvel I guess.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Where are you pulling this stuff from? You think Sony is happy with gt sport yet Microsoft can't be happy with sea of thieves. Is your post the example of when I see people say "tales from my ass"?

I mean seriously you are completely assuming everything. Did gt sport have 2 million players in its first week? I would hope it did to be honest. I'd expect the gt franchise to see that many players.

Last I read GT Sport sold between 900k-1.2m first week, and now has 4.2m registered players (full game).

Going by the various European sales numbers we have (33K UK after 2 weeks, 1K Spain week one), it seems Sea of Thieves likely hasn't passed 300K retail in its first couple of weeks. If it has, the US must account for a good 80%+ of sales. For me, I'd say SoT success (or not) is going to be entirely dependent on retaining GamePass subscribers/active users.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft still holds onto the top spot in the UK charts this week with Far Cry 5.

The shooter saw a 69 per cent drop in sales over the course of its second week - fairly standard for AAA games post-launch - but a lack of new releases meant there was nothing to dethrone Ubisot's latest blockbuster as the best-selling game of the week.

In fact, there were no new entries anywhere in the Top 40, and no changes at No.2 and No.3. FIFA 18 is still in second, despite a 26 per cent sales drop week-on-week, followed by the Xbox exclusive Sea of Thieves, which sold 32 per cent less copies this week

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-09-far-cry-5-secures-second-week-at-no-1-in-uk-charts

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly

I'm sure MS is over the moon with SoT. Why wouldn't they be?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

LOL! Exactly my thoughts.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure MS is over the moon with SoT. Why wouldn't they be?

Because it's a critical and comercial fiasco? 22k sold launch week? 69 opencritic? Youtubers left and right saying is a scam at that price? Twich streamers have already abandoned the ship and surely the players will follow. I'd like to see the daily users numbers, but alas I'm sure MS won't disclose them because they are abyssmal.
Certainly not enough to support a GAAS model

We won't see SoT2, the support will be scant and I fear for the future of RaRe.

But yeah, "over the moon"...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Because it's a critical and comercial fiasco? 22k sold launch week? 69 opencritic? Youtubers left and right saying is a scam at that price? Twich streamers have already abandoned the ship and surely the players will follow. I'd like to see the daily users numbers, but alas I'm sure MS won't disclose them because they are abyssmal.

I hope you had a nice weekend.. :D
Yesterday the game was at 10k viewers on Twitch. Not great, but neither death by any metric. The game had 2 million active players within a few days, it is the best selling Windows 10 game from Microsoft since the Play Anywhere initiative. Better than Forza Horizon, better than Gears 4. (These are sales, not Gamepass downloads), it is the fastest selling new IP from Microsoft (so better than Quantum Break, better than Ori, better than ReCore).

The reviews haven't been great, their is not enough content and the game is not as good as I had wished it was. But you sir, are hyperboling on a completely new level.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

LOL!

Love the concern at the end. Nice touch.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I hope you had a nice weekend.. :D
Yesterday the game was at 10k viewers on Twitch. Not great, but neither death by any metric. The game had 2 million active players within a few days, it is the best selling Windows 10 game from Microsoft since the Play Anywhere initiative. Better than Forza Horizon, better than Gears 4. (These are sales, not Gamepass downloads), it is the fastest selling new IP from Microsoft (so better than Quantum Break, better than Ori, better than ReCore).

The reviews haven't been great, their is not enough content and the game is not as good as I had wished it was. But you sir, are hyperboling on a completely new level.

And so is saying Microsoft is over the moon ;)

I stand by my words, Microsoft can't be happy with neither the game nor the reception of it