• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War big test is in EU but I've no doubt it's gonna smash those records from old games.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Under 5k gets you in the UK top 10. SoT for example is at 40k after 3 weeks.....tracking behind Quantum Break. It's also why anything bundled or on sale charts.

To put things in perspective GoW's debut will likely be over 150k. That alone should ensure April as a whole is up on last year. Although I'm not 100% sure what of note released last April.

In one sense weekly UK charts are interesting, but many just look at positioning, without understanding the vast difference in unit sales from week to week, depending on the title, or time of year.

And yet you have games like Forza Horizon 3, that never had huge weeks but sold a low amount consistently every week and managed over 400k total last year.
Not to mention you talk about God of War here, the game will most likely end up in the top 10 of the year or top 15 at least.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
And yet you have games like Forza Horizon 3, that never had huge weeks but sold a low amount consistently every week and managed over 400k total last year.
Not to mention you talk about God of War here, the game will most likely end up in the top 10 of the year or top 15 at least.
I'm going to guess you missing the word not. If Horizon showed up on top 10 best selling games God of War will definitely be on it. He mentioned bundling being the reason and that was greatly responsible for FH3 legs and SoT doesn't have that.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
VR worlds is bundled with almost every PSVR headset, so it jumping up the charts shows the hardware is moving a little better with the price drop.

No idea what small number that is, though, may be in the hundreds at place 20...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm going to guess you missing the word not. If Horizon showed up on top 10 best selling games God of War will definitely be on it. He mentioned bundling being the reason and that was greatly responsible for FH3 legs and SoT doesn't have that.

But SoT bundling is starting right now. Don't think it'll have the same effect as on FH3, but it will help with legs.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear, thanks.
Digital sales were probably less prominent three years ago, and Gamepass didn't exist. The tides may indeed have turned.

I just wonder how things like Gamepass could be counted when it comes to individual titles, rental type services will push down sales numbers but increase player numbers.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But SoT bundling is starting right now. Don't think it'll have the same effect as on FH3, but it will help with legs.
Bundle copies were a big part of the legs, yes. But we don't know yet what will happen with Sea of Thieves over the year for example. That is my point.

The yearly chart is always the most telling one. So keep that also in your equation when judging sales.

QB didn't make the top 50 in 2016 by the way. Sea of Thieves will probaby make it with way less emphasis on retail sales.

But that has more to do with the fact of the game itself. Linear single player vs constantly updated multiplayer sandbox.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expect God of war to get incredible reviews and it will sell well for the next 2-3 months then Sony will bundle with all consoles sold. Its a winning forumla that drives market awareness

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
so 70K with zero digital was the height of the series in UK. now with digital getting close to half of sales it will be difficult to break 100 K on physical charts i guess
Digital doesn't often get near 50%. It might have on a select few titles and more so over specific periods with accompanying reasoning, but a more reasonable figure to work with, especially on Sony's platform and especially on single-player offline titles, would be 20-25% of total.

And it'll smash 100k, IMO 125k week 1 is a given.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
aWe90_s-200x150.gif

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice.... Good to see Farcry 5, PubG, FM7, SoT and Splatoon 2 in there. Cant wait to see what Playground ground games does with FH4.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the gamesindustry.biz quote.

"The shooter saw a 69 per cent drop in sales..." - a 69% drop in sales would be a drop to 31% of the previous week.
"...over the course of its second week " - it's not over the course of the week, it's the total at the end of the week.

"Sales of the shooter dropped to 69% of its first week total" would be a pretty unambiguous way to correctly get the message across. We only know for certain that it did 69% of the prior week thanks to the added "fairly standard for AAA games post-launch".

/mondaygrump

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Monster Hunter disappeared from the charts.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think that just means that sales are dipping so bundled software will appear higher in the charts. It really just shows how quiet things are at the moment, though may give a hint at how hardware is selling. Gran Turismo Sport up to no. 10 as well, another commonly bundled game.
Gran Turismo Sport is commonly bundled in UK ? On amazon.co.uk it's the fourth best selling PS4 game (selling better than Horizon and The witcher 3). It seems to me the game has simply legs.

Because the bundle on amazon isn't cheap (£279). It's less expensive to buy a PS4 and the game separately.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It was already #40 in last week's chart so it's not really surprising it fell out of top 40 this week albeit its status quo is weird I must admit.

Low stock?

Has to be. No way does it drop out off top 40 when the bottom 40 are what selling 1000 cipies at best?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Has to be. No way does it drop out off top 40 when the bottom 40 are what selling 1000 cipies at best?

I have checked several retailers and stock doesn't seem to be a problem. Amazon UK charts also seem to suggest that it's not the best seller anymore.

I guess it was indeed very frontloaded and its legs seemed to slow down. Still an impressive result.