• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JesusBuiltMyHotRod

Banned for alt account
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
They are right though, the weekly UK chart does not include digital sales and therefor doesn't show the whole picture.
As i said you can say that with every game...it's digital performance will be in line with all other games, the only difference is game pass. It did not do "Great" by any measure.

That's too high imo, UC4 did like 180k and I feel it has become bigger than GoW in UK.
I think anything above 120k would be really fucking great tho.
This GOW will obliverate old GOW titles, it's going to be huge. Europe will buy this one.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I really wish the digital sales were added to the PAL charts already...

The top ten may well remain the same however, it would make the 'only need 3,500 copies to get into the top ten' stuff sound a little less depressing as it currently stands.

In terms of physical sales, apart from the evergreen titles like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Grand Theft Auto V, I don't think any game below Far Cry 5 has much to be cheerful about.

~45,000 physical copies for Sea of Thieves in four weeks isn't that great in all honesty, especially with the game being available over the two weeks Easter holiday (for schools), which is why we need to include those digital sales, pronto!

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They are right though, the weekly UK chart does not include digital sales and therefor doesn't show the whole picture.

Saying SoT is a hit is also wrong though for the reasons you just stated. Game pass and digital will now make it very hard to evaluate Xbox game sales unless Microsoft themselves give us clear and concise sales numbers.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Saying SoT is a hit is also wrong though for the reasons you just stated. Game pass and digital will now make it very hard to evaluate Xbox game sales unless Microsoft themselves give us clear and concise sales numbers.

I agree and I didn't try to take any sites in that discussion. I just wanted to clarify that we don't have digital numbers and we simply can't determine if SoT is a success or a disaster.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I agree and I didn't try to take any sites in that discussion. I just wanted to clarify that we don't have digital numbers and we simply can't determine if SoT is a success or a disaster.
SoT is a game that'll live or die on the quality of the support RARE gives it, really. I think in a years time we'll be able to tell if it's a failure or success.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Insane that it's possible PS4 could be o par with last years 20 million sales in year 5...it's still 299.

i think they are mentioning PS4 software sales NOT hardware sales. Although hardware sales might be very good too.

GOW will be destroying everything next week. But how long it will stay on top of the chart? 1 week 2 week or more?

Sad to see MH:World leaving the Top 40 chart.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying SoT is a hit is also wrong though for the reasons you just stated. numbers.

MS decide that, and for them, so far it has been.

Game pass and digital will now make it very hard to evaluate Xbox game sales unless Microsoft themselves give us clear and concise sales

Unit sales is just a factor now and not a conclusive metric for performance, so its not really useful to rely solely on that with games part of Gamepass/Netflix model. MS/Netflix provide engagement numbers, which is more accurate on how a base is reacting to content available, ie subs increasing + active users. Think people have to start accepting this when it comes to sales now.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think they are mentioning PS4 software sales NOT hardware sales. Although hardware sales might be very good too.

GOW will be destroying everything next week. But how long it will stay on top of the chart? 1 week 2 week or more?

There´s barely any competition until End of May with Detroit and Dark Souls Remastered.

God of War will sit in the throne for alot of weeks.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

Last calendar year PS4 did 20M. I expect this year to be pretty close even without a permanent price drop. It just depends what they want to push. Since December it has seemed that their goal is to push PSVR heavily at the expense of not being able to push PS4 as heavily.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

What they say in public and what they say behind closed doors could be completely different. MS use PR spin just like any other business.

Edit: We can't even quantify Game Pass as we do not know how many subscriptions there are and how many were free trials.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What they say in public and what they say behind closed doors could be completely different. MS use PR spin just like any other business.

If these numbers are being used to greenlight other games/secure more investment then ofcourse we can reasonably assume these numbers arent just spin. We'll have to wait and see.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Kirby did really awful in Germany. Kind of weird though, I think it's the first market where it doesn't seem to be doing well.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but beside the reviews everything about Sea of Thieves we seen so far is quite positive.
So i don't see why their public speak about the game and the internal one should be different.

Also it's possible SoT will end up as the most successful new exclusive IP this generation.
I'll make a definitive statement about that after the first 2 major content updates dropped.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If these numbers are being used to greenlight other games/secure more investment then ofcourse we can reasonably assume these numbers arent just spin. We'll have to wait and see.

But that is still taking what they are saying in the public domain as fact. If Microsoft could provide clear numbers on how much revenue SoT has brought in or will bring in the future then we would get a better understanding of how well the game has done.

It is also very hard to determine success. A company will usually say their product is a success if it beats their projections/expectations. What if those expectations were extremely low to begin with?

Also it's possible SoT will end up as the most successful new exclusive IP this generation.
I'll make a definitive statement about that after the first 2 major content updates dropped.

That will be near impossible to quantify, again because of Game Pass.
I have serious doubts that it will do more than H:ZD anyway but the comparison will be near impossible. Content updates will be more about retaining players instead of bringing in millions of new ones.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Kirby did really awful in Germany. Kind of weird though, I think it's the first market where it doesn't seem to be doing well.

What is weird though the game has been out of stock at every big online retailer in Germany for several days now (Amazon, Media Markt, Saturn, Gamestop, OTTO, Alternate, Conrad just to name a few). OTTO says that the next shipment is scheduled for mid May, Saturn says 11-12 days and the others don't even have a concrete date.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, but beside the reviews everything about Sea of Thieves we seen so far is quite positive.
So i don't see why their public speak about the game and the internal one should be different.

Apologies, but I don't agree on this point. The lack of content has become a meme and something you see all over twitter when anything SoT related is posted.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Would you call QB a hit? That was their previous best selling new IP as far as we know.

I still remember their report for that game...

Apparently it sold really well (I also recall that Greenberg saying on Twitter that pre-order numbers were 'phenomenal' or words to that effect) and was "critically acclaimed".

Bugger me what they would have to say if God of War was one of their titles!

We know what the physical sales are for Sea of Thieves here in the UK, which is the second strongest region for the Xbox One, and they are nothing to shout about. Like I said, we need digital data to see the overall sales, whether they are a worthwhile increase or not.

Microsoft coming out to say "2 million players have played this game" isn't actual units.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Crossposting from the previous thread :

The interesting tidbit from GamesIndustry.biz is that PS4 software sales are only 7.8% down year-to-date, which paint a solid picture considering last year Q1 had Horizon Zero Dawn, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands and also more contributions from a bigger number of console exclusives such as Gravity Rush 2, Nioh and NieR Automata (versus Shadow of the Colossus and Ni no Kuni II this year).

God of War release is most likely going to turn around that year to year drop.
I find that a bit weird because the normal is software being up each new year while the hardware is selling well because last year you have a lower userbase base than this year.
Let't try to give an example.

UK 2017: 4 million PS4 sold 100k in week 15
UK 2018: 5 milion PS4 should sell > 100k in week 15?

Exceptions are big launch games in Week 15 in 2017 and of course when the sales of the hardware start to drop a lot (fase out).

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still remember their report for that game...

Apparently it sold really well (I also recall that Greenberg saying on Twitter that pre-order numbers were 'phenomenal' or words to that effect) and was "critically acclaimed".

Bugger me what they would have to say if God of War was one of their titles!

We know what the physical sales are for Sea of Thieves here in the UK, which is the second strongest region for the Xbox One, and they are nothing to shout about. Like I said, we need digital data to see the overall sales, whether they are a worthwhile increase or not.

Microsoft coming out to say "2 million players have played this game" isn't actual units.
It really sucks how we never get any sales numbers from MS, hope they do differently next gen.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Yeah seems like an outlier. We know from people like Benji it's doing great in US, France it's showing strong legs, UK had strongest debut sales and somewhat has legs, and Spain it came in 2nd for March.

Strange, I think it'll be fine but maybe Germany don't like Kirby hmm

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Horizon 3 is back in action!

Took a week off as 19 months is very tiring.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That isn't happening.
People also said the game would never make a dent at launch anyway. And yet 2 million people played it week one.
I'm not sure yet, but i will at the end of the year.

Apologies, but I don't agree on this point. The lack of content has become a meme and something you see all over twitter when anything SoT related is posted.
But unlike a game like No Man's Sky, people still play, watch and enjoy the game. And it will get updated in a timely manner.

Should we bring up what people said about PUGB, Fortnite and Minecraft in the early days?
So those memes are positive, too. People talk about the game, they know the game. And it makes the ones who disagree with that doubling down on their positive opinion about the game.

It's not like that is a consensus majority option.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People also said the game would never make a dent at launch anyway. And yet 2 million people played it week one.
The launch numbers we have aren't positive though? You of all people know that number of players don't mean much when there are many ways to boost them.

JesusBuiltMyHotRod

Banned for alt account
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

But unlike a game like No Man's Sky, people still play, watch and enjoy the game. And it will get updated in a timely manner.

Should we bring up what people said about PUGB, Fortnite and Minecraft in the early days?
So those memes are positive, too. People talk about the game, they know the game. And it makes the ones who disagree with that doubling down on their positive opinion about the game.

We both know that 2 million is not indicitive of much, we have no idea how many played for 20 mins and never touched it again, come on. Number of players is an ambiguious stat come on.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

No Man's Sky launched at 2x SoT current ltd though. Game thus far has to prove it is going to have legs. It's too early to tell currently.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Plenty still enjoy NMS and it will be receiving a massive new update in the summer and has received plenty of big updates since release. I'm not sure bringing up NMS helps your point really, there are quite a few similarities between the 2 which is worrying considering the size of the teams working on each game.

Just because a small amount of games have been successful after being criticized does not mean this one will too. Could it happen? Sure, but so could the opposite.

You said everything we've seen so far is quite positive, I was just pointing out that's not what I've seen since the game released. I never said that people haven't had positive experiences with the game because I know for a fact they have. Negativity usually sticks with a game though, look at your opinion on NMS for example although it's a much changed game now.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah seems like an outlier. We know from people like Benji it's doing great in US, France it's showing strong legs, UK had strongest debut sales and somewhat has legs, and Spain it came in 2nd for March.

Strange, I think it'll be fine but maybe Germany don't like Kirby hmm

Current stock issues aside the game is too expensive in Germany. The retail version is €59.99 and that's at least €10 more than in France, Spain or the UK. I don't know who is responsible for the prices of Nintendo products in Germany but it's ridiculous when the games are €10-15 more expensive at release than in other territories. Bayonetta 2 Switch for example was almost €20 more than in France at release factoring in the €5 extra delivery costs Germans have to pay for mature titles.

EDIT:

You can pre-order Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Switch for €59.99 on Amazon Germany right now whereas it's 44.99€ on Amazon France. I mean we are talking about a price difference of almost $20.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, Crash still chilling in that top 10!

I'm expecting big things from God of War. 120-150K. If it launches on par with UC4, whew. I think digital share will be pretty notable for this one too.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
GT sport is 15€ in Germany. Germans love nothing more than a Schnäppchen, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't charting high.

Yep there were a ton of GTS promotions and discounts in Germany last month.
The standard edition was sold for 10-20€ at local retailers. LINK
Media Markt and Saturn have had a 1 year PS Plus + GTS bundle for several weeks. LINK
OTTO was selling the GTS + Dualshock 4 controller edition several times. LINK

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to be out of touch. Its been a hit for MS.

If it was a hit they would no be speaking about God of War, the state of their first party games and they would release daily users.

We'll see in a couple weeks how it did in the NPD but it doesn't look good for the future of the game

It's PR talk...if it was a disaster do you think they would come out and say it? Of fourse not. So MS doesn't decide if a game is a succes or not, reality does. This is not Trump's White House and their alternative facts

If it had a healthy user base I'd expect them to release the data so as I say it doesn't look good

Last edited: