• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just a general question
When next year we will start getting digital numbers along with physical numbers, the current number supplier (Chart track) will stop giving numbers?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah with digital it should be around 100k which makes for a nice 40% something increase over it's predecessor.

Yeah I would expect a drop in 50s% next week as opposed to the almost 70% drop that Tuesday releases have.

There's every chance the digital split will be higher than usual, not half of it (12% would be terrible) given that Amazon didn't stock it in the near-release pre-launch. With this and only 2 days of tracking, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a drop closer to the 50s than the usual higher figure, I agree. Some people will only buy on Amazon, hence their string of spats like these with big publishers.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Just a general question
When next year we will start getting digital numbers along with physical numbers, the current number supplier (Chart track) will stop giving numbers?

As of the 1st of January 2019, if past comments in the PAL threads are anything to go by.

I simply cannot wait!

I believe digital units were below 10-15% back in 2013 and 2014, Destiny excluded however, in the past three years, digital sales have notably increased to the point that it doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to PAL chart rankings, and even revenue too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wonder what caused the rise in most Nintendo games in the UK Top 10
Past gamesindustry.biz articles noted this: the Nintendo aren't so much rising in sales or anything, but it's the games around them that are dropping in sales. Nothing against Yakuza, don't get me wrong, but Yakuza 6 launching in 3rd place in the UK means that the overall sales level is quite low, and the Nintendo games just hold a bit better than other games.

Last edited:

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
also, what with the amazon situation in regards to Gow (and sony 1st party in general) still going on now? Don't know about Amazon UK now but you still CAN'T buy GoW new on Amazon US now directly and had to relegate to 3rd party.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Week 15 France
Far Cry 5 (PS4)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Far Cry 5 (Xbox One)
5. Kirby: Star Allies

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 still rising in ranks.

Not too long ago it was not making top 40, and below 1,2 and M+R regularly.

Week 15 France
Far Cry 5 (PS4)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Far Cry 5 (Xbox One)
wait is that Far Cry's first or second week for that chart?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Week 15 France
Far Cry 5 (PS4)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Far Cry 5 (Xbox One)

Edit: Top 40 is up to for the UK
Kirby holding on for dear life! Wonder if it'll pop back up into the top 3 when GoW and Far Cry 5 have come and gone, since Kirby has long legs.

legs_by_dragonith-d9khjg9.png

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not sure exactly how to explain this. It hasn't been discounted or anything so I'd just imagine as more and more people get on-board with BotW, Odyssey and MK they're all going to Splatoon 2 once they're done with all/some of that trio. It's performance the first few months was not spectacular but if it continues charting like this it should more than make up for that I think.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

wait is that Far Cry's first or second week for that chart?
Third week for Far Cry, actually.

I'm gonna regret saying this, but tentacles > legs

Not sure exactly how to explain this. It hasn't been discounted or anything so I'd just imagine as more and more people get on-board with BotW, Odyssey and MK they're all going to Splatoon 2 once they're done with all/some of that trio. It's performance the first few months was not spectacular but if it continues charting like this it should more than make up for that I think.
It really has incredible tentacles. First game was a long time seller, and the second one doesn't seem to be less long-lived. I remember discussing with some people on the old place that Splatoon 2 would 1. not sell more than 2 million lifetime (quite funny indeed) and 2. that the game would be much more frontloaded than the original because it was a new IP. I think the latter group will be proven wrong as well, since Splatoon 2 is moving very strongly in several regions we can have an inkling (sorry) about.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's likely been a slow burner.
I remember it getting pooped on in these threads last year lol..

Kirby holding on for dear life! Wonder if it'll pop back up into the top 3 when GoW and Far Cry 5 have come and gone, since Kirby has long legs.

legs_by_dragonith-d9khjg9.png
I assume it'll be over Far Cry xbox next week. Dunno if it'll make top 5. It's just GoW right?
And then Labo the week after

edit:

that's good for far cry if it's the 3rd week then.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Estimates for God of War series: (as always please note that these numbers are not 100% accurate)

God of War II ~ 25,000
God of War III ~ 65,000
God of War: Ascension ~ 30,000

God of War (PS4) ~ 88,000

Yeh. The actual total is a bit higher than this.

But as always, a lack of digital sales means we don't get the full picture.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 is a go-to purchase for every new Switch owner. They buy the console for Mario Kart, Odyssey or Zelda and end up buying Splatoon 2 as a side-game. That's why it will ensure good legs even for the next few years.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think GoW sales are actually impressive. Last games weren't strong in Europe and those sales are only for 2 days. And didn't UK have problems with physical copies? Like Amazon etc

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
God of War number is really good: 35% up from GoW3 without accounting for digital could suggest an increase of around 50% even when adding a completely made-up digital share. Regardless, the game did great numbers, and it seems the new style did really resonate with the UK market. The big one will be the US, though, where Benji has been hyping the sales of the game based on what visibility he has to the market!

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
God of War number is really good: 35% up from GoW3 without accounting for digital could suggest an increase of around 50% even when adding a completely made-up digital share. Regardless, the game did great numbers, and it seems the new style did really resonate with the UK market. The big one will be the US, though, where Benji has been hyping the sales of the game based on what visibility he has to the market!
With digital we are probably looking at a 100ish% increase from Gow 3.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Dafuq, PS4 has 24 out of the top 40 games, I've never seen that much single format dominance in the top 40.
Given the variety and number of exclusives, it looks like PS4 hardware had a decent week. PSVR Worlds bring up there again also suggests that's moving a steady amount (8k-12k last 3 weeks?).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
with mk7 at #28 on the individual chart, we know every sku below that is under 1,000.

where's xbox fifa...

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's still refreshing to me to see Nintendo titles consistently placed in the Top10 in the UK charts.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good for God of War if you include digital that wasn't there for III. Could be 60-80% increase which is great as across Europe the sales of previous titles are quite a bit lower than US.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
The cost of God of War at retail plus the shortages from Amazon probably means digital will be high in the UK

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Its doing better than it ever has before. When else would the time be to localise?

The series has always had low numbers in Western markets. I had some NDP of PS3 Yakuza games and they were reeeeeally superlow.

I was wondering what led SEGA to keep localizing the franchise while another company would have dropped the effort a while ago.

Of course Yakuza is selling better and better but numbers are still small all things considered (best UK debut is still below 6k units retail) and games require a quite big effort in terms of localization.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The series has always had low numbers in Western markets. I had some NDP of PS3 Yakuza games and they were reeeeeally superlow.

I was wondering what led SEGA to keep localizing the franchise while another company would have dropped the effort a while ago.

Of course Yakuza is selling better and better but numbers are still small all things considered (best UK debut is still below 6k units retail) and games require a quite big effort in terms of localization.

Because SEGA wants to help Yakuza grow and its working.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Great performance by GoW with not much else in the horizon it should have great legs well into the summer.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

During the PS3 period they did stop localising them for a while though. Look at Yakuza 5 - that game was released in Japan in 2012 and didn't get a English release until December 2015. That was thanks to Sony helping, but I guess they must have either been moved by the fans or sales for 5 to bother to localise 0, which they kind of blew up relative to the series performance as people seemed to really sit up and pay attention to it (it flooded social media around release, with many critics and fans who never paid attention to the game before suddenly realising what they missed out on). Then you had Kiwami which was released as a budget title in August which was a smart move on both fronts, and despite everything working against 6 (2-5 not being available in English at the time of release, being released the same time as GOW, the whole demo issue last month etc.) seems that the series has a small but dedicated fanbase that keep picking the games up. Be interesting to see if Kiwami 2 can do better in August.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing they're relatively cheap to produce without VA and there's a big market of the franchise in Asia. It's one of the reason there's a rise of English, Asian (R3) only releases like SWR

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Because SEGA wants to help Yakuza grow and its working.

Yeah, sure, but at that time there were so many Yakuza games bombing in the West that I was wondering the reasons keeping SEGA to localize the franchise.

The following post helps in clearing my doubt:

During the PS3 period they did stop localising them for a while though. Look at Yakuza 5 - that game was released in Japan in 2012 and didn't get a English release until December 2015. That was thanks to Sony helping, but I guess they must have either been moved by the fans or sales for 5 to bother to localise 0, which they kind of blew up relative to the series performance as people seemed to really sit up and pay attention to it (it flooded social media around release, with many critics and fans who never paid attention to the game before suddenly realising what they missed out on). Then you had Kiwami which was released as a budget title in August which was a smart move on both fronts, and despite everything working against 6 (2-5 not being available in English at the time of release, being released the same time as GOW, the whole demo issue last month etc.) seems that the series has a small but dedicated fanbase that keep picking the games up. Be interesting to see if Kiwami 2 can do better in August.

I'm guessing they're relatively cheap to produce without VA and there's a big market of the franchise in Asia. It's one of the reason there's a rise of English, Asian (R3) only releases like SWR

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War has been selling out at retail, yours option is download the game.

This game will be huge digital.