• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
State of Decay 2 22nd is the release date?
Yeah that's the same week as Dark Souls and Detroit. I expect DS #1, Detroit #2 and SoD2 #3 that week. I think Detroit will surprise people; the demo seems to have increased interest. But Dark Souls is Dark Souls. I expect most of SoD2's sales to be digital due to the budget price for those who don't want to subscribe to Game Pass.

Oct 25, 2017
56% drop for God of War, where does that put total UK numbers ?
[Week 16, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 17, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 62,000 / 158,000 (-35%)
[Week 18, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 27,000 / 185,000 (-56%)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/7640832/

[Week 16, 2018] God of War > 88,000
[Week 17, 2018] God of War > 57,000 / 145,000 (-35%)
[Week 18, 2018] God of War > 27,000 / 171,000 (-53%)
Opening was actually around 96K according to Bruno.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Yeah that's the same week as Dark Souls and Detroit. I expect DS #1, Detroit #2 and SoD2 #3 that week. I think Detroit will surprise people; the demo seems to have increased interest.

It has to be seen how big marketing budget Detroit will have and how hard will Sony push it.Lot will depend on that i think.Free demo was good first step but they have to do much more in the next 3 weeks.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's the same week as Dark Souls and Detroit. I expect DS #1, Detroit #2 and SoD2 #3 that week. I think Detroit will surprise people; the demo seems to have increased interest. But Dark Souls is Dark Souls. I expect most of SoD2's sales to be digital due to the budget price for those who don't want to subscribe to Game Pass.
I have to look at the historical data for Souls games and Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls but I don't think there's going to be much between all three.

[Week 16, 2018] God of War > 88,000
[Week 17, 2018] God of War > 57,000 / 145,000 (-35%)
[Week 18, 2018] God of War > 27,000 / 171,000 (-53%)
Data is incorrect, Bruno updated his previous numbers.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
You think DS Remaster will be #1?!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, the #1 PAL charts game sold 27k.

The rest of the chart must be pretty small potatoes. Below #10 I'd reasonably guess we're talking about less than 1K units.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
No way Dark Souls will beat Detroit first week.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I just checked Amazon UK: Detroit is currently #5 on best sellers list,Dark souls is #26 ps4 version,there is no xbox version in top 100...so,we'll see!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
With that horrible cover, it'll be a miracle if Detroit tops retail charts. What an unfortunate choice.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.I wonder when will reviews be out?

hard to tell. i am guessing since the previews and demo were well received reviews should come out a few days before release but we should know from reviewers if they have the game a week or so before launch

my only negative is they should have used the japanese box art but i preferred japanese heavy rain box art as well

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Agreed.I wonder when will reviews be out?
The embargo date will honestly tell us almost everything. Sony is really good at predicting the Metascore (or rather good at using mock reviews). They set the date for Heavy Rain over a week in advance and it got great reviews. Ditto for God of War and every Naughty Dog title. For The Order and Beyond: Two Souls they set the date on the day before release....we know why. If it gets an almost launch date embargo again I can't see it score higher than 79 even in the best case scenario, which will likely mean it bombs. Hard bomb or soft bomb depends on word of mouth. If it gets 3 days up to week embargo time I expect 80+ in every scenario and decent to great sales.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The embargo date will honestly tell us almost everything. Sony is really good at predicting the Metascore (or rather good at using mock reviews). They set the date for Heavy Rain over a week in advance and it got great reviews. Ditto for God of War and every Naughty Dog title. For The Order and Beyond: Two Souls they set the date on the day before release....we know why. If it gets an almost launch date embargo again I can't see it score higher than 79 even in the best case scenario, which will likely mean it bombs. Hard bomb or soft bomb depends on word of mouth. If it gets 3 days up to week embargo time I expect 80+ in every scenario and decent to great sales.
BB review embargo was one day before launch IIRC and it has 92 on MC ( too low by the way).

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Yeah,i agree.Interesting times ahead! :)

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
BB review embargo was one day before launch IIRC and it has 92 on MC ( too low by the way).
Good catch, but I can't think of an example where a Sony exclusive got an embargo a week ahead and reviewed really badly for example. So maybe it doesn't always work, but the few examples we have of mediocre reception to a Sony published game in recent times definetly show a few trends.

Also for QD games in particular Sony or QD have been following a marketing template they established way back with Heavy Rain. It has been the exact same for all 3 games so far which is kinda funny. It goes like this:

-Have a tech demo preceding the game (Casting, Kara, The Dark Sorcerer ; 3/3)
-Show off a single scene of the game a lot that functions as a vertical slice (HR: Taxidermist, Beyond: Hunted chapter, Detroit: The Hostage chapter ; 3/3)
-Let journalists play the first 2 hours of the game 1-2 months before release and have previews (this happened 3/3 times so far in the exact same way ; always the first 2 hours of the game too)
-Release the vertical slice chapter as a playable demo shortly before release (also pretty much 3/3 ; just for Heavy Rain the Taxidermist didn't end up being a part of the game so they chose the E3 demo instead)
-???Set embargo date depending on the perceived quality of the game??? (we will know if this holds true for Detroit; 2/3 so far)

Last edited:

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It shouldn't be a problem for Detroit to chart above DS Remaster. State of Decay will be harder to predict.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Detroit was going to outsell Dark Souls even when the Switch version was launching day of.

I don't see how it won't now that it isn't.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good opening result for donkey kong. Nintendo smart to port this and charge full price. Sorry folks