• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2017
Do Germany and Spain get games late, do they have weird tastes in games or do they just have different buying habits (or all of the above)?

I.e. where is GoW?

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
While it's difficult to tell with targeted ad's, Detroit is almost up there with God of War in terms of the online marketing push. I can't really speak for the TV presence as I watch very little. Likewise, although Amazon is not the best for judging specific software sales, it's decent for a snapshot of how a titles fairing. Detroit has been in and around the top 5 for some time now.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I guess you're right. It was more entitlement than anything. But it seems that crowd was the vocal minority.

Yes it's entitlement to complain about a port coming out years after the original release and being charged more than the original price. I swear, sometimes this message board figuratively blows my mind.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes it's entitlement to complain about a port coming out years after the original release and being charged more than the original price. I swear, sometimes this message board figuratively blows my mind.
Yes. You think you're entitled to a lower price because it was cheaper on another console. Well too bad. It was full price and sold well. You are the vocal minority

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You think you're entitled to a lower price because it was cheaper on another console. Well too bad. It was full price and sold well. You are the vocal minority
Impressive! every post you make makes me roll my eyes harder. I think microtransactions are a good business decision, but it doesn't mean I have to like them. I think DKTF pricing is a good business decision but I don't have to like it either. It doesn't make me entitled, I'm not demanding anything from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
While it's difficult to tell with targeted ad's, Detroit is almost up there with God of War in terms of the online marketing push. I can't really speak for the TV presence as I watch very little. Likewise, although Amazon is not the best for judging specific software sales, it's decent for a snapshot of how a titles fairing. Detroit has been in and around the top 5 for some time now.

Definitely not on par with God of War, not even close.

For God of War you have special bundles, E3 major game reveal, Gameinformer cover page, ads un cinemas... This is Last of Us or Uncharted type of marketing for God of War. Detroit is not there.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Just wait til it goes on sale. The game has been out for years on WiiU and is like 20 bucks there. If you waited this long you can wait for a sale.

I'ma just wait it out. It is what it is.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
[Week 16, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 17, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 62,000 / 158,000 (-35%)
[Week 18, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 27,000 / 185,000 (-56%)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/7640832/

Opening was actually around 96K according to Bruno.
So if we expect another ~50% drop next week (ending 13th May), then GOW will be around 13-14K. and on week ending 20th may it will be below 10k.

I don't see it very easy for GOW to stay on Number 1 especially with Football craze picking up so may be FIFA will reach Number 1 again or some boxed game reach number 1

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
So if we expect another ~50% drop next week (ending 13th May), then GOW will be around 13-14K. and on week ending 20th may it will be below 10k.

I don't see it very easy for GOW to stay on Number 1 especially with Football craze picking up so may be FIFA will reach Number 1 again or some boxed game reach number 1

i think it's reasonable and okay for GoW to cede the number one spot to FIFA.....especially in UK.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018

For God of War you have special bundles, E3 major game reveal, Gameinformer cover page, ads un cinemas... This is Last of Us or Uncharted type of marketing for God of War. Detroit is not there.
I'm specifically talking about online marketing. Ad's on YouTube, site ad's etc., but it's difficult to judge based on what's targeted vs everyone seeing them. Detroit is certainly being treated as a AAA release by Sony, bigger than say the recent Shadow of the Colossus release.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
The FIFA 18 World Cup update marketing should be kicking in soon for the May 29 release - as others have said, expect FIFA 18 to claw back first place before then.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Individual Charts:

caagdsuont.png

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Out of MK8D, BotW, SMO, Splatoon 2 and 1-2 Switch, only BotW dropped more than 1 place WoW, and even then it was only by 2. They have achieved a good barometer and level of consistency here it seems- no sign of them slowing down either as they been in the chart at those sorts of positions for weeks now.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Weird that FIFA 18 isn't charting on Xbox but so high on the PS4. I know you can get it bundled there? but there's seems quite a big difference. Shame NNKII didn't make a re entry as it seemed to get a good price drop.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm specifically talking about online marketing. Ad's on YouTube, site ad's etc., but it's difficult to judge based on what's targeted vs everyone seeing them. Detroit is certainly being treated as a AAA release by Sony, bigger than say the recent Shadow of the Colossus release.

Sorry I did not pay attention to the "online" aspect.

I agree this is considered as an important AAA, kind of Infamous Second Son level.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Detroit definetly doesn't get GoW marketing treatment as it has simply no ability to sell 10m lifetime even if it revolutionized the story genre. It is a mid budget (around $30m production costs) new IP in a still nieche genre.

Considering that Sony does a decent job for what is appropriate. I've seen quite a few online ads now, they are pushing the game with new material constantly and the demo release. It had a presence at every trade show since it was the major reveal at PGW and got a lengthy E3 press conference trailer slot every time. Then they had a big preview event across the whole world and Sony is giving away an artbook with a lot of physical pre-orders right now as well as throwing in a lot of goodies for the digital edition.

So for a mid range title it is marketed quite well and will sell well if the reviews are good. It hinges entirely on that and decent word of mouth. Solid reviews usually always lead to that for story based games though so the scores really are the last hurdle.

At worst it probably does 1-2m lifetime like Beyond. At best I see it beating Heavy Rain so like 5 million.

Last edited:

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Weird that FIFA 18 isn't charting on Xbox but so high on the PS4. I know you can get it bundled there? but there's seems quite a big difference. Shame NNKII didn't make a re entry as it seemed to get a good price drop.
People waiting on EA Access to add it, FIFA 17 was added April last year, so either it's World Cup or PS4 marketing holding it back this year.

Oct 25, 2017
And you think it would have fold multiples of that if it were cheaper? Highly unlikely. Sorry to tell you Nintendo made the right call on the pricing.

Multiples? No.

I think it would've sold much better at a $40 price point though, yes. Did Nintendo make the right call? Probably yes, they are profit based.

Did DK:TF sell well and justify the $60 price tag? In what world is a 13k opening selling well?

Yea, it did better than the abysmal opening of the Wii U version. That's not exactly a high bar to cross and doesn't propel it into the "selling well" territory.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like SoT being the major Xbox bundle is it's saving grace in the charts. Otherwise I think it would have probably disappeared by now (and deservedly imo). How's the player count and Twitch streams doing? Or has it already be mostly forgotten about?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Looks like SoT being the major Xbox bundle is it's saving grace in the charts. Otherwise I think it would have probably disappeared by now (and deservedly imo). How's the player count and Twitch streams doing? Or has it already be mostly forgotten about?
Article says the rise was because of price promotion, sp yeah.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Inside top 20 of most played on UK and US, in Spain too but ES is a tiny market for Microsoft, I didn't ckecked other markets, The game is still the 4th best selling game on Amazon UK. The game is doing decent with or without bundle, let's not forget that is on game pass.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It's like some people are rooting more for the multibillion company they love instead of rooting for themselves, it's incredible really.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
No idea about player count by yesterday the peak concurrent viewership peaked at around 2900.
Ranked 28 for time watched in the last 30 days.https://twitchtracker.com/games/490377#7days

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Inside top 20 of most played on UK and US, in Spain too but ES is a tiny market for Microsoft, I didn't ckecked other markets, The game is still the 4th best selling game on Amazon UK. The game is doing decent with or without bundle, let's not forget that is on game pass.
It's 15th on the Amazon yearly ranking, however Amazon shouldn't be used as barometer for games sales. SoTC is above God of War on it. It sold around 2k.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It's 15th on the Amazon yearly ranking, however Amazon shouldn't be used as barometer for games sales. SoTC is above God of War on it. It sold around 2k.

I was trying to figure out the general performance, that doesn't look bad. Amazon is simply the easiest store to check the performance of any game. I don't have idea how is the bundle selling, but I wouldn't say that SoT have the hotest Xbox bundle, PUBG bundle is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow April was the last possible month MK8D could have gotten the Sales Award for 500k sales considering game.de only gives them within one year after release. That was a close one lol. I wonder what was the last Nintendo title in Germany that has gotten the Special Sales Award.
Pokemon Sun/Moon iirc
Edit: I forgot Pokemon is separated in the west, but both games got the 200k award at launch

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did DK:TF sell well and justify the $60 price tag? In what world is a 13k opening selling well?

Yea, it did better than the abysmal opening of the Wii U version. That's not exactly a high bar to cross and doesn't propel it into the "selling well" territory.

Given how low effort the remaster was imo, it's probably very profitable for Nintendo. I would gladly buy a low effort SMT FE or Xenoblade X remaster though, so i'm part of the problem.