• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
So yeah, not a great opening for HW in UK. That number should mean around 6k, right?

I was being slightly generous in using a 20% drop for Donkey Kong (for last weeks numbers) to get Hyrule Warriors at ~6,400 however, it seems to have performed a little bit worse than I had originally expected...

Maybe it was one too many re-releases?

I wonder how Captain Toad will do in two months time.

Solid start - should be the best selling version lifetime after this CY.

I'm sorry, but 6,000 copies or fewer is not exactly a 'solid start'. On the other hand, we shall indeed see how Hyrule Warriors performs in the next couple of weeks.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but 6,000 copies or fewer is not exactly a 'solid start'. On the other hand, we shall indeed see how Hyrule Warriors performs in the next couple of weeks.
What would be a solid start of the 3rd re-release of a game on a system that already has a mainline Zelda and did receive a Musou FE spin-off a couple a month ago ?

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
What would be a solid start of the 3rd re-release of a game on a system that already has a mainline Zelda and did receive a Musou FE spin-off a couple a month ago ?

That's a lot of... interesting... qualifiers used to address the underwhelming sales of Hyrule Warriors Switch version but factually, the Switch version had a worse start than the WiiU version. Less than half, actually. It's not surprising that people don't believe it's a solid start because it isn't.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Boi!

latest
n07L4Q8.png

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
What would be a solid start of the 3rd re-release of a game on a system that already has a mainline Zelda and did receive a Musou FE spin-off a couple a month ago?

On par with the Wii U numbers IMO.

It's not a terrible amount however, given that Donkey Kong did much better than I expected and with a RRP of £10 more than the Wii U version, and is holding very well too, I half expected Hyrule Warriors to be pushing 10k units.

I personally don't think Breath of the Wild, which came out over fourteen months ago, has any real bearing on how Hyrule Warriors performed either. I believe Fire Emblem Warriors came out seven or eight months ago too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of... interesting... qualifiers used to address the underwhelming sales of Hyrule Warriors Switch version but factually, the Switch version had a worse start than the WiiU version. Less than half, actually. It's not surprising that people don't believe it's a solid start because it isn't.
Context is important. HW was a title that sold well on Wii - it was a million seller ww. HW on Switch is just one of multiple Switch titles selling right now...not the big release to hold us over until the next mainline Zelda like it was on WiiU - but the 3rd version of the game.

The game having to outsell the WiiU release in its first week to qualify for "solid" sales is a joke. The again most expectations in terms of Switch releases here are.

It's not a terrible amount however, given that Donkey Kong did much better than I expected and with a RRP of £10 more than the Wii U version, and is holding very well too, I half expected Hyrule Warriors to be pushing 10k units.

I personally don't think Breath of the Wild, which came out over fourteen months ago, has any real bearing on how Hyrule Warriors performed either. I believe Fire Emblem Warriors came out seven or eight months ago too.

On par or over the WiiU numbers would have been a great result - not just solid. TF was a game that was overshadowed on WiiU and didnt meet expectations...HW was the opposite, it sold much better than most people expected. TF also wasnt already ported to the 3DS in the meantime - which was the case with HW, opening up its potential audience by quite a bit - even if the 3DS version wasnt the optimal way to play it.

One of the reason why HW sold so well on WiiU was that people were thirsty for any kind of Zelda content - even if the first HD Zelda title was a KT Dynasty Warriors Spin-Off...it looked good and people wanted to give it a shot. The situation on Switch is different - this isnt the first experience of this kind ( see FEW), not the first release of the game (WiiU/3DS) and not the first/only Zelda ( BotW).

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
The game having to outsell the WiiU release in its first week to qualify for "solid" sales is a joke. The again most expectations in terms of Switch releases here are.

The game selling less than half of the WiiU version and still being considered "solid" sales can also be seen as a joke. And the lowered expectations and tons of qualifiers set forth for Switch releases here can also be seen as a joke.

I suppose success (or lack thereof in this case) is in the eye of the beholder.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't the presence of Zelda BOTW increase the amount of fans wanting HW. Since the zelda fanbase is already there. I mean this is the argument on how 3rd parties should build audiences on nintendo systems.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Shouldn't the presence of Zelda BOTW increase the amount of fans wanting HW. Since the zelda fanbase is already there. I mean this is the argument on how 3rd parties should build audiences on nintendo systems.
Don't think that argument extends to Musou games. Those games are aimed at hardcore fans of franchises. The hardcore of Zelda fans, however, probably crosses over quite strongly with the hardcore fanbase of Nintendo games, and as such a relatively large portion of them will have been present on the WiiU despite there being no Zelda game (even that is tentative, since the Zelda WiiU game was already announced at that point, and as a result a decent amount of the hardcore fanbase may have jumped in if they hadn't already). As such, the actual audience for this game probably was on the WiiU, which explains why the game seemingly overperformed, at least compared to other WiiU software.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands

I'd say HW debut is pretty solid. What with the game having been released twice earlier. Especially as the second release saw a pretty hefty drop on a much more popular system(3DS). This re-release and FEW debut last year just shows Warriors titles being a more limited market then a well known 2D platformer series.

Still, plenty of Switch software has shown to have quite the long tail. As evidenced by this weeks chart even. Wouldn't surprise me at all if HW Switch crosses the Wii U's totals. Same thing has happened to Pokkén, etc.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The game selling less than half of the WiiU version and still being considered "solid" sales can also be seen as a joke. And the lowered expectations and tons of qualifiers set forth for Switch releases here can also be seen as a joke.

Those arent qualifiers but facts.
You can bring up different facts why you think a 3rd release should outsell the already successful initial release of the game in week 1.

HW was considered a success on WiiU, TF wasnt - HW was already re-released on 3DS - TF wasnt. You dont see how this would result in different sales potential in relation to the initial release for these titles ?

"Just because" isnt a good enough reason to expect every Switch re-release to outsell a original release.
The HC Zelda fans are likely the ones who owned WiiU/3DS and made the game a success to begin with. Sure plenty of them might pick up the Switch release as well down the line...but i dont see why they would have to be there at day 1, which is all the fw numbers show us really.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great for GoW, a debut less than a WiiU game is not good not matter how you spin it.
That's not really true imo. MK8D debuted lower than MK8 in several regions, but I don't think anyone would call that bad. HW did very well on WiiU (was one of the few games to do so), so the current shouldn't be expected to do similarly per se, especially considering there also was a 3DS version. I do agree that half of WiiU is a tad lower than I'd hoped.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You have convince me sir.
If everything was this simple we would save alot of pages in every thread.
"WiiU" that's all you need to know.
That's not really true imo. MK8D debuted lower than MK8 in several regions, but I don't think anyone would call that bad. HW did very well on WiiU (was one of the few games to do so), so the current shouldn't be expected to do similarly per se, especially considering there also was a 3DS version. I do agree that half of WiiU is a tad lower than I'd hoped.
That still wasn't a good look for MK, Mario has legs though so it already outsold the original, can you say the same about HW?

Deleted member 59

Hyrule Warriors did fine when you consider it's the third version of a niche spin off and the UK is a trash market (I live here, I'm allowed to say that!)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Eh. Its a port of a game that already had a re release on the 3DS. It didn't get the marketing the WiiU version got and the competition on the Switch is much tougher than it was on the WiiU.

Seems like a solid start to me. I don't expect the Switch version of this game to exceed the WiiU version. The appeal of musou is not like DK or Mario. The target audience more than likely already played it.

Is every port that doesn't exceed the originals numbers a failure?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

That still wasn't a good look for MK, Mario has legs though so it already outsold the original, can you say the same about HW?

Probably not, but probably will still hold better than the Wii U version.
I mean: HW on the Wii U sold more than 1 million copies. I think this is pretty high for a Mosou game: how big of an untapped potential could there still be?
It was already ported to another console too, so I don't think that Koei was aiming to sell 1 million copies ww again. Do you? Because if they aren't aiming to sell another million (I repeat, seems very high bar for a Mosou game) than they weren't expecting it to sell less than the WIi U original game. Now, selling half of the Wii U numbers as LTD won't be satisfiyng neither, I agree

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Not really. Even as a failure of a system you are still talking about new game launches vs ports. Ports outselling the original release is not common.

Wasn't a good look for MK based on what?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Actually no...but this has been the theme in these PAL week threads for a while now so i wont even bother anymore.
What theme? Calling underperforming games? That's the same in every sales thread.

Probably not, but probably will still hold better than the Wii U version.
I mean: HW on the Wii U sold more than 1 million copies. I think this is pretty high for a Mosou game: how big of an untapped potential could there still be?
It was already ported to another console too, so I don't think that Koei was aiming to sell 1 million copies ww again. Do you? Because if they aren't aiming to sell another million (I repeat, seems very high bar for a Mosou game) than they weren't expecting it to sell less than the WIi U original game. Now, selling half of the Wii U numbers as LTD won't be satisfiyng neither, I agree
The WiiU also sold like 14 million lifetime while the Switch is past that in year and considering how the other WiiU ports have been selling better than the originals, I think it's fair to call this one a poor start.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
What theme? Calling underperforming games? That's the same in every sales thread.

The WiiU also sold like 14 million lifetime while the Switch is past that in year and considering how the other WiiU ports have been selling better than the originals, I think it's fair to call this one a poor start.

So you are basically saying that HW Switch should sell 1 million + to see a good result?
Just to understand.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting it to perform better based on how the other ports are doing, yes.

Ok!
I don't, so we agree to disagree (just to clarify: if it will sell just half of the Wii U version, even for me won't be a good result).
Would be nice to know KT expectation too, because from the WW numbers of this release (from Wii U to Switch) and the 1 million figure of FE Warriors, it seems that their Nintendo partnerships could be interesting for their next outputs

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Just to point out, Bayonetta 2 on Switch opened lower than the WiiU version in the UK as well. It held a much better chart position than the WiiU version in the incoming weeks (we don't know what the raw numbers were granted) and WW in the equivalent period did more on Switch by about 25%.

In comparison, the broader demographic games like DK, Pokken, MK8 have all had zero issues outpacing the WiiU versions.

To me this implies that games like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta being more core focused dont have as much to gain through re release on Switch as Nintendo's more general audience titles.

As such, maybe Hyrule Warriors exceeds the WiiU version but the start shouldnt be surprising

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Very nice to see GoW still top. But unsurprising. Next week it'll finally get dethroned. Hopefully by Detroit.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find Hyrule Warriors performance bad at all as long as it has some legs unlike on Nintendo 3DS, which sure it will. You can't expect every port to outperform their original counterparts.

If Fire Emblem Warriors somehow made it to 1 million worldwide despite very low sell-trough for the markets we have data for, this should too.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
People campaign for games to fail everyday on here. Even whole companies. Just check the RE7 switch thread for the latest example. Nothing in this thread comes close to that madness.

It's weird to want a product to fail inheerently but I could understand the appeal to emotion if the product was buggy and broken, or very aggressive in its monetization scheme or if it lied to customers about what it was. I don't really get why Labo generates this distaste though. It by all accounts is a well made product. I'm not crying over it struggling to find an audience because that's business but the outright desire for it to fail is super weird.

Gamers are egomaniacs and everything has to be for them.

This is true. This is probably all it is.