• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
All of this Gran Turismo Sport downplaying was tiring before Christmas, but it's even more wearisome these days. Folks still have to be interested in the game to buy it, you know?

Both God of War and Detroit: Become Human are still going for full price, and they continue to sell very well too. Nintendo served an ace with Mario Tennis, and should continue to do well in the coming weeks when Wimbledon begins this time next Monday.

FWIW, Aces had a double Gold Points for pre-order on the eShop and is currently 3rd behind Hollow Knight and Minecraft on the all games chart. I for one purchased it digitally for that reason.

I really do hope that Nintendo continues this trend, because I was so close to buying it digitally however, I had a physical copy on pre-order for £38.95 (at The Game Collection), which is £11 cheaper than buying it on the eShop.

1vwk8x.png

I see that the 'Days of Play' campaign has been very kind for Sony this year!

Besides the French's obvious love of Nintendo, Europe really is 'PlayStation Land'.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been mentioned already in this thread, but I assume the bump in Switch console sales must be because of Fortnite, Mario Tennis and Minecraft?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Did we ever get an idea of how many copies Mario Tennis Aces sold? It's probably safe to assume it's above 10k since FIFA has gotten a bigger boost due to the World Cup right?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Besides the French's obvious love of Nintendo, Europe really is 'PlayStation Land'.

Days of Play had a great impact.

Usually I would say that Nintendo dominates in France, Sony in the UK, Italy and smaller countries in the EU and that both have about the same results in Spain and Germany ;)

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I find Mario Kart's performance to be way more impressive than Zelda.

-It has sold more than Zelda on switch and still outsells it weekly.
-It was already the best selling game on wii U, yet still outselling new switch games despite being a re-release.

I disagree.

Mario Kart games have been in the top 5 selling games on pretty much every Nintendo platforms. It wasn't the case for Zelda.

Breath of the Wild is not only the best selling Zelda game ever ; but it will be the first Zelda game to sell over 10 million copies on a single platform. Actually, when it's all set and done, I think Zela will sell at least 15 million copies on Switch.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales are incredible to ; but by Mario Kart standards, not that much. Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DS won't be challenged. I guess it could sell more than Mario Kart 7, maybe.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Days of Play had a great impact.

Usually I would say that Nintendo dominates in France, Sony in the UK, Italy and smaller countries in the EU and that both have about the same results in Spain and Germany ;)

x5hyvX7.jpg

This doesn't look like dominance to me, and with digital the difference would be even higher.

Nintendo performs better in France than the other countries, but let's not overstate it. The same about Germany and Spain, you can't really believe they perform the same.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow unit sales no longer matter. That would make sense if different games didn't have multiple monetization models. There's a reason publishers are more than willing to slash prices to increase MAU. They can make more money on the back end and they get a bigger cut if you buy digital. If you want to talk revenue you need to then include microtransactions and dlc.

Also much easier to maintain prices when you have a virtual monopoly in sales on retail software on your platform.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Are Forza games not getting bundles anymore?

Nope, which is why Forza Horizon 3 dropped (out of the charts) like a rock!

The main Xbox One S bundles these days are Sea of Thieves and PUBG, and it is mostly the reason why we see those two games somewhere in the top forty on a weekly basis, seeing as bundled copies are added towards the overall units in the PAL charts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Forza Horizon 4 stays in the charts for a long, long time due to it inevitably being the main bundle until Gears 5 and Halo Infinity arrives.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
What is this chart? Digital rankings for all Europe?
Yes
Horizon Zero Dawn in the Top 5 in Europe after one year and 4 months: unbelievable.
The whole top 10 is very strong for playstation .
Well deserved for my GOTG =D
So happy for guerrilla games. Can't wait for the sequel :D
Together with The Last of Us: P2 my most hyped game at the moment =)

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that chart is PS4 only. Donkey Kong is in the top 10 but isn't listed there.

"While the GSD does track digital sales, Bethesda, Konami and Nintendo still refrain from publishing their digital data.

With that caveat in mind, below are combined digital and retail sales for Europe provided by the GSD, and processed by outsource service provider B2Boost."

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Compare the text with the ranking: it says Horizon zero dawn is 9th/10th but in the ranking it's 5th. Also, several Nintendo games are mentioned to be in the top 10, but they're not in the ranking shown.
text is only about retail. Table contains combined data – digital + retail sales.

At retail, ....

With that caveat in mind, below are combined digital and retail sales for Europe provided by the GSD, and processed by outsource service provider B2Boost.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
All of this Gran Turismo Sport downplaying was tiring before Christmas, but it's even more wearisome these days. Folks still have to be interested in the game to buy it, you know?

Both God of War and Detroit: Become Human are still going for full price, and they continue to sell very well too. Nintendo served an ace with Mario Tennis, and should continue to do well in the coming weeks when Wimbledon begins this time next Monday.

I really do hope that Nintendo continues this trend, because I was so close to buying it digitally however, I had a physical copy on pre-order for £38.95 (at The Game Collection), which is £11 cheaper than buying it on the eShop.

Yeah I stopped even discussing it with these guys, they clearly have it out for GTS. Literally hundreds of games get discounted to what GTS is at but they never crack the top 10. Being at No 3 for Europe without being bundled is impressive this far out regardless of pricing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow unit sales no longer matter. That would make sense if different games didn't have multiple monetization models. There's a reason publishers are more than willing to slash prices to increase MAU. They can make more money on the back end and they get a bigger cut if you buy digital. If you want to talk revenue you need to then include microtransactions and dlc.

Also much easier to maintain prices when you have a virtual monopoly in sales on retail software on your platform.

Not really. If you want to evaluate consumer spending on new titles in the market revenue is more helpful than units since units can fluctuate wildly with sales and promotion. Different data has different strengths and weaknesses when evaluating different metrics.

I still like seeing units over revenue but the way the UK charts are now we get both which is ideal.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Shocked to see Aces beat a WC driven FIFA. Given that other Switch games haven't quite reached the top spot, I'm sure Nintendo will be happy with that.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great information -- combined retail and digital from all of Europe. How come we don't get this data regularly? This is the first I've heard of it.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So on the one hand, Mario Tennis Aces has already sold more than Ultra Smash for WIi U.
On the other hand the game had a fairly low opening on par with previously released Wii U ports.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So on the one hand, Mario Tennis Aces has already sold more than Ultra Smash for WIi U.
On the other hand the game had a fairly low opening on par with previously released Wii U ports.

That's interesting to know. The Wii U game was awful though so I'd imagine its numbers were atrocious.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Sales in Europe are huge for Sony and when we will have all number it will be much easier to understand sales number for exclusives give by Sony.

That's great information -- combined retail and digital from all of Europe. How come we don't get this data regularly? This is the first I've heard of it.

Only available since three weeks and concerning only 12 european country until January 2019 where it will cover all the european countries.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Can you share anything on hardware? With a few titles getting bumps and some even re-entering the chart it makes me wonder if there wasn't a decent bump in Hardware.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just to clarify one thing above.

Mario Tennis Aces did ultimately have a good opening for the game that it is. But it's basically the series being back to normal after the Wii U entry.
Hopefully it'll continue selling due to free DLC and such.