• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
why? Switch is the best consoles to go digital, changing cartridges is Very annoying

32gb flash drive inside the Switch is one reason why it's not, meaning an SD card is all but required if you buy digital a lot. Also many of the type of games on the Switch generally have a lower digital % anyway. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
32gb flash drive inside the Switch is one reason why it's not, meaning an SD card is all but required if you buy digital a lot. Also many of the type of games on the Switch generally have a lower digital % anyway. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

of course digital here is lower than on other consoles but I think 25-30% is not out of question

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt digital is that big on Switch

You doubt wrong, as numbers show.

Honestly, all Switch owners I know had only one physical game, Zelda or Odyssey, because they bought it with the console. For some Labo was the second, because no digital version available.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
But GTS didn't chart at $79 lol.

GTS's price cuts have been the biggest, quickest, and then most frequent price cuts of a big franchise game I can ever remember. It was on sale for like 70% off within weeks. It absolutely bombed sales wise, hence the drastic price cuts.

I agree that GTS has been very cheap in Aus, but that doesn't mean it "absolutely bombed sales wise". I couldn't find the charting info from back then (week 42 last year?) but I did find the week 44 charts for Aus and it was number 4: https://igea.net/2017/11/week-44-30-october-5-november-2017/

It was probably number 1 on launch week. Would be good to confirm, but I think the point still stands.

I suspect that GTS did not meet original sales forecasts, so Sony were extremely aggressive with price cutting. That does not mean the game "absolutely bombed". Sony just wanted to get the game into as many hands as possible, and seemingly still do.

I'm not going to try and dismiss the deep price cuts for GTS compared to other titles. $19 is an absolute steal and much lower than most "big" titles of that age get (Bethesda titles also get super deep discounts quickly). It's definitely a major factor in the sales it's currently getting (see also: MCC a few weeks back) but it's not the ONLY reason it's selling.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis sales are impressive and it seems it pulled some other Switch games up. Would be interesting to see if hardware sales increased too.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But GTS didn't chart at $79 lol.

GTS's price cuts have been the biggest, quickest, and then most frequent price cuts of a big franchise game I can ever remember. It was on sale for like 70% off within weeks. It absolutely bombed sales wise, hence the drastic price cuts.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the game has moved most of its units on sale. I can think of some other examples, such as Watch Dogs 2 (and plenty of other UBI titles) that went on sale quite quickly also.
However claiming that the game bombed because it went on sale is hardly a logical step. We could argue all day about whether the game would have sold X or Y millions if it had been sold at A or B price - but the fact is, the game has consistently moved units. To do that, there has to be demand - otherwise it would go into the bargain bin with a bunch of other games that never moved significant units. If the game moves millions of units and repeatedly goes on sale at a specific price range - that is less an indicator of bombing, and more of an indicator that the marketing and distribution teams found a price point that resonates. You can bet that if other devs (such as the Project Cars 2 team) thought that a price cut would move another few million, they would have done it - but the demand just isn't there. That's an actual bomb.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone will disagree that the game has moved most of its units on sale. I can think of some other examples, such as Watch Dogs 2 (and plenty of other UBI titles) that went on sale quite quickly also.
However claiming that the game bombed because it went on sale is hardly a logical step. We could argue all day about whether the game would have sold X or Y millions if it had been sold at A or B price - but the fact is, the game has consistently moved units. To do that, there has to be demand - otherwise it would go into the bargain bin with a bunch of other games that never moved significant units. If the game moves millions of units and repeatedly goes on sale at a specific price range - that is less an indicator of bombing, and more of an indicator that the marketing and distribution teams found a price point that resonates. You can bet that if other devs (such as the Project Cars 2 team) thought that a price cut would move another few million, they would have done it - but the demand just isn't there. That's an actual bomb.
I guess we just have different definitions of a "bomb". IMO if a game releases and they cut the price by > 50% within weeks, it bombed sales wise. That's why they dropped the price, because it bombed and they wanted more sales. Are the sales bomb-level now? I wouldn't say so, think it's around 3.5 million or so. That doesn't change the fact that it bombed on release at full price.

For a GT game it's an absolute bomb compared to all previous releases, but that's a different story.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You doubt wrong, as numbers show.

Honestly, all Switch owners I know had only one physical game, Zelda or Odyssey, because they bought it with the console. For some Labo was the second, because no digital version available.
Well if all your friends only buy digital, then that's proof. So based on your experience would you say Switch digital is about 90%?

Last edited:

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
why? Switch is the best console to go digital, changing cartridges is Very annoying, especially for games like this

The Switch tax on digital games is laughable though. Double so like me if you have a UK account.
The only digital dime I've spent there is for Celeste. On top of that Nintendo are seriously discount allegric.

So for me its the worst console to be digital on. PS4/XBX/Steam are a much better value proposition for that.
I don't doubt however that users are flocking to buying digital on Switch.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
why? Switch is the best console to go digital, changing cartridges is Very annoying, especially for games like this

Nintendo physical games almost doesn't devalue over time, digital sales are less aggressive, the SD card has more limited size. So there is less reason to buy digital games, and at full-price even less reasons. Half of my library on PS4 is digital, but I am talking of games bought at 50%+ sale.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the legs for God of War and Detroit. I'm really curious to see where the Detroit numbers are at worldwide

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably etching close to 1.5 million I would guess

That would be very nice. If the word of mouth holds it should have a good bump during the holidays too.

>1M.

LT will end up ~5M if it keeps up like Heavy Rain.

I would be extremely happy if this ends up around 5mil LT. well deserved imo

I'd love an update on God of War. I wonder how long it'll take to catch up with HZD and UC4.

Do we know where UC4 is at now?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Since you can't share digital games easily on switches and we have three switches in my family I've resorted to buying everything physically on the switch.
Other than that, all of my PS4 library is digital since the kids tend to destroy blu-rays and I have a huuuge steam library. It would be nice to be digital on the switch too but for me it's much more expensive than buying one cart that we can all share.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really don't know how they are supposed to estimate the downloads of a console game, but here is SuperData Research take about Detroit launch
So 300k digital sales in 7 days worldwide? That's pretty great and would check out with the game selling over 1 million in 14 days with like an estimated digital ratio of 25-33% worldwide (idk if that's a realistic figure at all). But yeah how would SuperData exactly have the worldwide PSN numbers...

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland charts are up for week 25

1. Mario Tennis Aces
2. Fifa 18
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Minecraft
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Detroit: Become Human
7. Zelda: BotW
8. God of War
9. DK:TF
10. Splatoon 2

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Switzerland charts are up for week 25

1. Mario Tennis Aces
2. Fifa 18
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Minecraft
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Detroit: Become Human
7. Zelda: BotW
8. God of War
9. DK:TF
10. Splatoon 2

Wow, switch on fire in switzerland. Glad to see GOW and Detroit hanging in there as well :D

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I guess we just have different definitions of a "bomb". IMO if a game releases and they cut the price by > 50% within weeks, it bombed sales wise. That's why they dropped the price, because it bombed and they wanted more sales. Are the sales bomb-level now? I wouldn't say so, think it's around 3.5 million or so. That doesn't change the fact that it bombed on release at full price.

For a GT game it's an absolute bomb compared to all previous releases, but that's a different story.
It came out right before Black Friday and games that released at a similar point also got cut too within weeks or are you saying Destiny 2 bombed? You also realize that the best selling GT, GT3, sold most while a greatest hit at $20? Typically the games have never had massive launches but sold steadily over time.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018

According to the latest Kudosprime stats there are currently 4,453,200 user accounts. The last weekly update added 78,300 and was (I believe) at the start of the Days of Play promotion. Due to the way the stats are calculated they tend to underestimate actual users by 10-15%. Obviously you also have to take into account multiple accounts and used sales.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=nb_players_per_week

With all that said GT Sport is likely above 4m sales and will be close to 5m by the end of the year. What residual sales are like for the remaining 2-3 years of PS4 who knows. 6m seems likely, 7m if there's any Spec II like, release/soft relaunch.

I do think GT Sport's biggest legacy will be pushing PD to focus on standardising all their content, essentially starting from scratch, and delivering unwavering performance. It hurt GT Sport at launch, but the biggest beneficiaries will be those picking up the title today, and of course GT7 on PS5.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
Week 25, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW Mario Tennis Aces - 15,000 / NEW
02 (02) PS4 FIFA 18 - 4,000 / 700,000
03 (NE) NSW Minecraft - 3,700 / NEW
04 (01) PS4 God of War - 3,200 / 133,000
05 (RE) NSW Super Mario Odyssey - 3,100 / 265,000