• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
"Crash is only 250 Copies behind Xbone"
"Xbone userbase is likely several folds bigger"
B-but people told me Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games, whats happening??
/s

I hope this prove some publisher Nintendo is a good target

so late 20s early 30s people are somehow magically more interest in mascot platformer than teenager and kids playing CoD?
Well they are certainly not interested in Wolfenstein 2. What message do W2's sales send to publishers?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Well they are certainly not interested in Wolfenstein 2. What message do W2's sales send to publishers?
Let's wait and see the worldwide situation before anything. If we just go by the UK then Skyrim, DOOM, ARMS, and Pokken all flopped with isn't the case at all.
I'm not expecting it to do much worldwide but using one market to determine if it did well or not is silly.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's still the region most enamoured with Crash, so we can reasonably expect sales to be relatively lower in others. It may be misplaced pessimism but I'm still pessimistic, and if I'm proven to be wrong then that would be great.
It's one of Xbox's strongest markets, and one of the Switch's weakest. I REALLY wouldn't put too much stock in it.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Crash putting in work, again.
People eating crows, again.

I'm happy for people who buy and enjoy Crash but It's still a shit game.
My missus (by no measure a gamer) is pondering forking out 35 quid to buy it having only played Puyo Tetris so far since Switch launch. The pull of nostalgia is mighty.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Wolf 2's sales are low but given how Doom performed there I would guess that the UK will be relatively low for this one. I think the US is where the bulk of the sales will be generated. Similar to Skyrim.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
That a late port at basically full price is a little bit expensive? It's not like Wolf 2 sold all that well when it originally released anyway...
I personally think it's expensive but I guess it depends if the price is a cynical cash grab or just the reality of the costs involved in bringing it to switch.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Crash sold more than 4m units at this point. The great word of mouth for this masterpiece keeps it selling great.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If only we knew Crash sales. Would put in perspective all the "great" Switch debuts this year.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Looking at the numbers, The Crew 2 is much lower than expected, especially when compared to the original game. I'm conscious GfK data is pretty much not worth looking at given lack of digital sales, but I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near Crew 1's opening with digital.

Crash did well for a year late port. Switch ver. opening was higher than DKTF but not significantly so.

Wolf 2 absolutely bombed on Switch. It sold less than the packaged PC version did in its first week. I didn't know people even purchased packaged PC games anymore. Switch is suffering from a similar issue to prior Nintendo consoles where mature games never sold well.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't hurt 'em, Nintendo. Good to see Nintendo doing so well in Europe, the US and obviously destroying Japan.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the numbers, The Crew 2 is much lower than expected, especially when compared to the original game. I'm conscious GfK data is pretty much not worth looking at given lack of digital sales, but I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near Crew 1's opening with digital.

Crash did well for a year late port. Switch ver. opening was higher than DKTF but not significantly so.

Wolf 2 absolutely bombed on Switch. It sold less than the packaged PC version did in its first week. I didn't know people even purchased packaged PC games anymore. Switch is suffering from a similar issue to prior Nintendo consoles where mature games never sold well.

Are you allowed to give us a range on the Crew 1's opening?

I expected 2 to underperform though. Crew 1 seemed like right place right time.

Also damn at Wolf 2. Based on what you're saying we're looking it like 1.5kish?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville

Oof for Wolfenstein 2

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Damn about wolf 2. I didn't even realize it came out, because I was looking at top 10.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

While I agree with it bombing, I wouldn't put it just down to "mature games never sell well" (although I'm sure it didn't help). It never sold well when it first released and from what I remember bombed everywhere. It's £45 for a 12 hour long game with bad WoM, coming nearly a year later on a relatively small install base.

Give Switch owners a same day release, mature game that has good word of mouth and then we can see what happens.

Edit: Didn't Outlast do ok on the Switch?

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/04/28/outlast-nintendo-switch-sales-good-profitable/

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I dunno, of all the games to port to Switch, I'm not sure why Wolf 2 was the one they went with. Released late, the first one isn't on Switch and I'm pretty sure it was a sales disappointement on the HD twins too, no?

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
While I agree with it bombing, I wouldn't put it just down to "mature games never sell well" (although I'm sure it didn't help). It never sold well when it first released and from what I remember bombed everywhere. It's £45 for a 12 hour long game with bad WoM, coming nearly a year later on a relatively small install base.

Give Switch owners a same day release, mature game that has good word of mouth and then we can see what happens.
We'll never see because Switch ports aren't day and data. However you only have look at the performance of Crash to see that audience problem still persists.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Wolf 2 had the odds stacked against iT.

It's one thing to be a late, downgraded port of an evergreen (Skyrim SE) and a successful game with great WoM (DOOM), but a whole another thing to be a late, downgraded port of a game that sold poorly to begin with and has weaker WoM than you'd expect.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We'll never see because Switch ports aren't day and data. However you only have look at the performance of Crash to see that audience problem still persists.

Not really comparable. Crash is a discounted game with a ton of content and also benefited from a huge multiplatform release push.

Meanwhile, Wolf 2 is a full priced game that almost requires the first game to truly enjoy the story experience.

Oct 27, 2017
The reality

Because one late full priced port of a Mature game that didn't sell well before again didn't sell well, in a region where the Switch only does so-so anyway? Not to mention the Switch release had comparatively almost no advertising

Crash IS day and date so I'm not sure why you're using it as proof of anything

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I disagree because Crash is an exception in the UK, the UK love Crash and it's had strong sales since release and it's cheaper than Wolf 2 in a price sensitive market.

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Let me put it this way. The PS4 and XB1 versions sold almost the same amount as the Switch version this week alone. Which isn't much different from what those two versions sold last week. Wolf 2 has been out for almost a year. It didn't bomb everywhere, it just isn't on par with more popular shooters for obvious reasons. Hence my explanation that the Switch version did terribly all things considered.

The reason I mention mature games is because it's a longstanding trend. Skyrim did well but others have suffered.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought LA Noire sold comparatively well on Switch, taking into account the smaller install base? Releasing at the same time as the other versions seems to be important...

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My missus (by no measure a gamer) is pondering forking out 35 quid to buy it having only played Puyo Tetris so far since Switch launch. The pull of nostalgia is mighty.
This post is terrible, I'd perms ban you but unfortunately I'm not a mod. I'd ban everyone who even mentions crash in a negative way.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me put it this way. The PS4 and XB1 versions sold almost the same amount as the Switch version this week alone. Which isn't much different from what those two versions sold last week. Wolf 2 has been out for almost a year. It didn't bomb everywhere, it just isn't on par with more popular shooters for obvious reasons. Hence my explanation that the Switch version did terribly all things considered.

The reason I mention mature games is because it's a longstanding trend. Skyrim did well but others have suffered.

How did South Park end up doing on Switch? Disappointment?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Crash is just a bigger franchise in general. N. Sane collection opened over 100k. No 3D Mario platformer has ever opened over 100k in the UK.

Crash performed similarly on the Xbox One as well. Which largely highlights the franchises strength. Better numbers for Wolf 2 would be nice either way. If it is going to do well anywhere I imagine it will be the US.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We do this song and dance again and again. Yes we only have the UK data made public, however ZhugeEx has access to data not made public. I also assume he not making the statement on the basis of this one game.
Zhuge having access to data doesn't mean we have to agree with his opinions about the data

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it begins again....a 3rdParty Switch title not setting the world on fire in the UK makes people doubt everyone.
We had the same circus for Doom and ended up with confirmation that Bethesda was satisfied with its performance. Glad that many publisher have realistic expectations in terms of Switch releases and the specific domestic markets.

Dont know why anyone would expect a full priced late Wolfenstein 2 port to set the world on fire in ...July.

These ports are being greenlit for the longterm sales potential - so they can offer the Switch install base some games and content during Sales for the big shopping seasons like Christmas. There is a reason why Capcoms titles like Revelations 1+2 been doing well on Switch, even though they didnt even bother with a PAL retail release.

Wolfenstein 2 wont be topped anytime soon on Switch for what its offering.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Let me put it this way. The PS4 and XB1 versions sold almost the same amount as the Switch version this week alone. Which isn't much different from what those two versions sold last week. Wolf 2 has been out for almost a year. It didn't bomb everywhere, it just isn't on par with more popular shooters for obvious reasons.

I would say that Doom, Outlast and LA Noire have done "ok" on the Switch, obviously I don't have exact numbers like yourself though. But I don't think Wolf 2 is a great example of whether "mature" games sell well on the Switch. I never saw any adverts or any other marketing for it really.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh it begins again....a 3rdParty Switch title not setting the world on fire in the UK makes people doubt everyone.
We had the same circus for Doom and ended up with confirmation that Bethesda was satisfied with its performance. Glad that many publisher have realistic expectations in terms of Switch releases and the specific domestic markets.

Dont know why anyone would expect a full priced late Wolfenstein 2 port to set the world on fire in ...July.

I think it goes both ways. While the sky isn't falling because a port of Wolf 2 disappointed in the UK, it still did bomb super hard. I don't think it even charted in the eShop in the US last time I looked (don't have access now if someone wants to check).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I was under the impression that DOOM also did well relative to the nature of it's release. Well enough for Panic Button to be in high demand, reportedly.

Is that an incorrect impression? PB also did Rocket League, so perhaps the demand was solely caused by the performance of that instead.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Release GTA5 on Switch and we'll find out if mature games sell or not (spoiler: it'll sell like crazy).

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Regardless as to WHY it was only on the PS4 for the past year, there is no evidence to suggest that Activision was reluctant to port it to the Switch. If they were reluctant, why did they release it on the Switch the same day as the Xbox and PC versions? If they were reluctant a Switch port would come much later. Or is that poster stating they were reluctant to port it to any other platform, including the Xbox and PC? That would not make any sense at all. The game sold well on the PS4. Why would they be reluctant to port it to as many platforms as possible? I'm still scratching my head at that post. Reluctant? Really??

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
This "it only sells because of nostalgia" thing is still going on. Oh well.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Crash was day and date with One version tho, so not a food comparison

The reality

Because one late full priced port of a Mature game that didn't sell well before again didn't sell well, in a region where the Switch only does so-so anyway? Not to mention the Switch release had comparatively almost no advertising

Crash IS day and date so I'm not sure why you're using it as proof of anything

Crash was day and date with One version tho, so not a food comparison

What about the PS4 SKU?

Not really comparable. Crash is a discounted game with a ton of content and also benefited from a huge multiplatform release push.

Meanwhile, Wolf 2 is a full priced game that almost requires the first game to truly enjoy the story experience.
It sold less copies than the physical PC SKU. That a not a price issue. That's a audience issue.

Didn't doom and Skyrim do well on Switch worldwide?
Skyrim yes. Doom unsure we didn't get numbers.
I disagree because Crash is an exception in the UK, the UK love Crash and it's had strong sales since release and it's cheaper than Wolf 2 in a price sensitive market.
Whilst the price is a factor. Only selling 1.5k copies when you sold over half million switches tells me that isn't the biggest issue.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think it goes both ways. While the sky isn't falling because a port of Wolf 2 disappointed in the UK, it still did bomb super hard. I don't think it even charted in the eShop in the US last time I looked (don't have access now if someone wants to check).

We also know of plenty of eShop titles that never charted and ended up selling very well on Switch especially compared to the same game on other systems after developer confirmations. The eShop charts are mostly dominated by the same couple titles for months....selling below thats doesnt necessary means its a bomb. Even Nintendos first party titles have trouble competing against the cheaper and Top Tier indie titles.

I think its more important to see how much these games can sell per month on Switch and/or during sales promotion. Thats what they are positioned for.

People hate all the time on Capcom and their Switch support - but they have been gradually expanding their Switch portfolio and will be on of the big winners 3rdParty wise when it comes to the sales season later this year. They have content that is gonna sell once put on sale. Pretty much their whole PS4/XBO remaster strategy.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Whilst the price is a factor. Only selling 1.5k copies when you sold over half million switches tells me that isn't the biggest issue.

It being a "mature" game isn't the biggest issue either...It launched same day as Crash, it doesn't have great WoM, although I may have over exaggerated saying it completely bombed when it first came out it still didn't do great (was only 4th in the UK charts on release) and it's too expensive for a year late port (only games like Skyrim and GTAV would be able to get away with being full price in my opinion).

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Release GTA5 on Switch and we'll find out if mature games sell or not (spoiler: it'll sell like crazy).

That would tell me mega-hit games can sell well on Switch. It being mature or not is irrelevant when it comes to GTA.

I mean what would developers of other, lesser known, mature titles take away from that?

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Everyone always focuses on the negative lol.

Crash did well on Switch, as do other games each week. I'm specifically talking about Wolf2 above and the trend of mature games in general.

As I noted. Some mature games do well. Mature games didn't sell on Wii but that didn't stop Call of Duty and Resident Evil selling well. It's just they never sold on the same level as other platforms of course.

The reason I note mature games is because it's the same cycle with every recent hardware generation, both home and portable. The majority of units sold on PS/XB are mature games whereas the least number of units sold on Nintendo platforms are mature games. Whilst some mature games like Skyrim and Nintendo pushing Bayonetta has led to good results, the majority of mature games don't sell on the same level as other games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Which other games do you mean for Switch? Obviously one of them is DOOM, but besides that? I think LA Noire, for example, did rather well compared to other versions. Wouldn't it be a better explanation to say that Switch owners in UK aren't interested in late ports at full price? Higher price wasn't an issue with LA Noire, so the lateness seems a bigger issue.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I would say that Doom, Outlast and LA Noire have done "ok" on the Switch, obviously I don't have exact numbers like yourself though. But I don't think Wolf 2 is a great example of whether "mature" games sell well on the Switch. I never saw any adverts or any other marketing for it really.
vVkoPPU.gif

He said talking to someone with access to numbers.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
This "it only sells because of nostalgia" thing is still going on. Oh well.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia.. Sells a lot of movies, clothes and concert tickets too.
Since we don't even have accurate volume data on game sales I guess we'll never know the demographics of who buys what.. but it's fun to speculate right?!

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Which other games do you mean for Switch? Obviously one of them is DOOM, but besides that? I think LA Noire, for example, did rather well compared to other versions. Wouldn't it be a better explanation to say that Switch owners in UK aren't interested in late ports at full price? Higher price wasn't an issue with LA Noire, so the lateness seems a bigger issue.

It depends on the game but I think in general that is true for most.

The reason I'm calling out mature games is because whilst late ports may sell X. Late ports of mature games in general usually sell lower than X.