• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Is this talking about the current week (as in the one we do not have data for yet)? Because I thought tracking hasn't even finished yet

If it's talking about the week in the sales of this thread... didn't we already get confirmation that crash XB1 sold more than the switch sku?
He is talking about Week 26. Also, that confirmation was about the UK, not Europe.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Not sure what Germany has to do with it
Sorry i didn't explain properly

i mean In Retailer i see Alot of PS4 and NES games

but in xbox Store i see new release there...

So this mean Xbox gamers are mostly Digital right?

I hope you're not confused this time XD

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Still don't understand what you are asking, you're saying the reason why Xbox games don't chart at retail is because people mostly buy it digitally? And the reason why you think that is because new games chart in the top paid Xbox chart we get weekly?

If that's what you are asking then we won't know much till 2019 when digital is counted in the rankings but I doubt the digital ratio is much bigger than PS4 that it would make a big difference.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017

Are you asking if it is more common for Xbox games to be released digitally rather than physically?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Still don't understand what you are asking, you're saying the reason why Xbox games don't chart at retail is because people mostly buy it digitally? And the reason why you think that is because new games chart in the top paid Xbox chart we get weekly?
If that's what you are asking then we won't know much till 2019 when digital is counted in the rankings
yes that what i was mean thx for the explanation...

but I doubt the digital ratio is much bigger than PS4 that it would make a big difference.

But I remember reading Something like Most sell in Xbox are digital...

I don't remember Where (but i'll try to find it)

So i still think we can't compare the ratio between PS4 VS xbox Because of the install base...

next year Things will be clear

Last edited:

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This has nothing to do with June being bigger than May lol, it's simple as GOW released in April, so of course sales drop weeks after weeks.

I was using it as a barometer for the overall sales in June vs May in the UK. In the US June will be much bigger than May.

In June digital share is huge mainly because Days of Play.

I guess that could be a possibility since those are only retail UK sales. Would be nice if we knew if hardware went up like it does in the US.

I guess this is somewhat relevant judging by the last few pages on here.

There are a few more tweets from Chris, which I think relates to the top-selling in the European charts but I'm not sure if that was released yet.

That isn't much different from the UK chart. But I'll wait for the actual chart with the non retail qualifier to see a better picture. Also I don't think anyone contended that Crash didn't sell relatively better this week than other games. More so that rankings don't matter in the grand scheme of things on actual units do.

Last edited:

Cubo

May 14, 2018
So about the wording of this Tweet...

"Doesn't allow the sharing" means that they do receive the data of digital sales? (only from third parties I assume). I hope Nintendo decides to share everything soon, do we think it is possible or nay?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So about the wording of this Tweet...

"Doesn't allow the sharing" means that they do receive the data of digital sales? (only from third parties I assume). I hope Nintendo decides to share everything soon, do we think it is possible or nay?

Yes, they have digital data for sure just not open to share.

Anyways, the results for whole Europe isn't that different from UK.

Edit: and by they I meant Nintendo, according to NPD Nintendo doesn't give them digital data so I doubt any sales people know it.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is starting to take over Europe!

Nintendo - as in portable systems - were always strong during the summer months comparatively.
Switch getting finally Fortnite and retail Minecraft probably isnt that bad either.

Still impressive considering we often get the "Nintendo is dead in europe" posts based on UK charts.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Nintendo doesn't share digital sales data and no publisher can share digital sales data of games published on Nintendo platforms.

Switch first party software continues to do extremely well in Europe, not to mention globally. The main difference being that Splatoon 2 ranks lower in Europe/NA than it does in Japan.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Crash Switch Physical > Xbox One Physical + Digital

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't share digital sales data and no publisher can share digital sales data of games published on Nintendo platforms.

Switch first party software continues to do extremely well in Europe, not to mention globally. The main difference being that Splatoon 2 ranks lower in Europe/NA than it does in Japan.
So, maybe Wolf 2 sold better digitally.

Xbot2k18

Alt-Account
Banned
May 27, 2018

Why would Crash on Switch not include digital sales? The game is from Activision and not Nintendo.
Does not make sense. They get digital sales data from the publishers and not the platform holder.

edit:

Wow. Classy Nintendo

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Am I correct in reading there that Splatoon 2 is kinda disappointing in Europe? I mean comparisons to Japan are obviously futile but if it is preforming notably worse than even NA then that is a shame.

Maybe the discount price of Splatoon on Wii U did them a bit of damage for the brand in the long run..?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Am I correct in reading there that Splatoon 2 is kinda disappointing in Europe? I mean comparisons to Japan are obviously futile but if it is preforming notably worse than even NA then that is a shame.

Maybe the discount price of Splatoon on Wii U did them a bit of damage for the brand in the long run..?

I'm not really sure tbh. I haven't looked into it myself. But you are right that Europe is generally a bit weaker for Splatoon 2. But I usually lump it in with NA where it is also notably weaker than the more popular mainstay titles like Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey. When you look at the actual numbers you'll find that Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey usually sell within a certain range each month whereas Splatoon 2 is notably lower. Not significantly so though. After all it is still a top seller on Switch.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not really sure tbh. I haven't looked into it myself. But you are right that Europe is generally a bit weaker for Splatoon 2. But I usually lump it in with NA where it is also notably weaker than the more popular mainstay titles like Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey. When you look at the actual numbers you'll find that Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey usually sell within a certain range each month whereas Splatoon 2 is notably lower. Not significantly so though. After all it is still a top seller on Switch.
Thanks for the details. It doesn't surprise me to have Splatoon 2 performing lower than the usual Nintendo suspects (and obviously compared to Japan), but being able to still chart in EU one year later without digital is a net positive. I bet it's a #10 in France ^^

Oct 25, 2017
"Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on Switch was the No.1 best-selling boxed game last week across EMEA."

See above, to all the people that said Crash shouldn't come back.

The Crash Bandicoot thirst is real. Kudos to the Activision guy that went to the effort to show it could be ported to Switch. Please make sure Spyro comes too.
The people want more Crash. Give the people what they want.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Splatoon wasn't even charting months ago.

It's gone up a lot.
So it started off disappointing, but seems to be doing better.

hm, FIFA switch must be over 1m WW as I've said before.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for the details. It doesn't surprise me to have Splatoon 2 performing lower than the usual Nintendo suspects (and obviously compared to Japan), but being able to still chart in EU one year later without digital is a net positive. I bet it's a #10 in France ^^

yeah. for Splatoon 2 to still be charting and outlasting newer releases is actually pretty impressive
expecting it to sell Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey numbers outside of japan is a bit too much to ask.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
EA said they were satisfied with the sales of the game. More importantly, the game does have legs and in Europe is selling not-so-far from Xbox One version. It shows that there is an audience for the game on Switch too.
No one is saying there isn't an audience, people however before release were arguing about how it will end huge, I don't see anything pointing at that.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

It charted multiple times this year in the Top5.

Last known number was 250k retail alone at the end of last year in France. It must be around 350k by now.

It also sold 200k in Germany (retail alone).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No one is saying there isn't an audience, people however before release were arguing about how it will end huge, I don't see anything pointing at that.
Thats exactly what people were arguing because it sold like 1% of what the PS4/Xbox version sold at launch. People used it quick as confirmation that EA was right to not bother with further Fifa games on the Switch or EA titles in general.

Meanwhile some of us tried to explain why the first week numbers wouldnt nearly be as important as the weekly sales and legs on a still very young plattform. The game didnt even let you play with your friends online - at least with 19 we know that there are some mayor improvements coming so they are willing to let Fifa on Switch grow.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

My comment was about those people who, by looking at first weeks Switch ratio, were calling the game a bomb, instead of waiting a little bit to see whether the game would have had some legs.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thats exactly what people were arguing because it sold like 1% of what the PS4/Xbox version sold at launch. People used it quick as confirmation that EA was right to not bother with further Fifa games on the Switch or EA titles in general.

Meanwhile some of us tried to explain why the first week numbers wouldnt nearly be as important as the weekly sales and legs on a still very young plattform. The game didnt even let you play with your friends online - at least with 19 we know that there are some mayor improvements coming so they are willing to let Fifa on Switch grow.
Can't say I remember anything like that.
It most likely sold over 1m WW.

Unless you can name me 4 other credible titles with a retail presence that sold 1m the last fiscal year (April 17-March 18).
Or it sold less than 500k, we don't really have anything to rely on.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Or it sold less than 500k, we don't really have anything to rely on.

We have numbers for Japan (~120k) and they expected to sell about 150k copies in France with the WC (73k copies at the end of 2017).

Now these are only two regions and retail only. The game has been on sale for 20€ for a while now and is also topping the eshop charts regularly.

We know about games that sold >700k like Fire Emblem Warriors and FIFA has been outcharting the game everywhere.

So yeah we dont know directly but with comparisons there is little doubt left.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We have numbers for Japan (~120k) and they expected to sell about 150k copies in France with the WC (73k copies at the end of 2017).

Now these are only two regions and retail only. The game has been on sale for 20€ for a while now and is also topping the eshop charts regularly.

We know about games that sold >700k like Fire Emblem Warriors and FIFA has been outcharting the game everywhere.

So yeah we dont know directly but with comparisons there is little doubt left.
Fair enough.
They control the message that way. They lose that giving it publicly.
Sharing digital can't really have a negative effect on them as it will help their games chart higher.