• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure why you think it selling as well as the XB1 version is bad? I'm not sure that you understand the UK market and the fact that the XB1 sells well here compared to most other European countries.

It's a budget prize, technically not demanding platformer. It has less immediate competition on the Switch. I mean the fact that it's the best selling game on Switch for all the year should be telling. The Switch is a corpse in the UK and people are reading this as a sign that 3rd parties can thrive on it?

Besides, we're talking of less than 20k copies. "Selling well" is something else.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a budget prize, technically not demanding platformer. It has less immediate competition on the Switch. I mean the fact that it's the best selling game on Switch for all the year should be telling. The Switch is a corpse in the UK and people are reading this as a sign that 3rd parties can thrive on it?

Great hyperbole there...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So, right now, we have three categories. Correct me if I'm wrong:Mature late ports that sold decently-to-well on Switch:
- Skyrim
- Bayonetta 1+2

Mature late ports that sold 'OK' on Switch:
- DOOM

Mature late ports that sold poorly on Switch:
- South Park: TFBH
- Wolfenstein 2
- Payday 2 (?)

And then add in LA Noire, which I'm assuming sold OK, and the not-mature-but-still-not-like-Nintendo-games such as Fifa, NBA and WWE (which, again, I'm assuming sold OK, OK and Poorly respectively) and I don't really see enough evidence there to conclusively decide that Nintendo fans don't buy mature third party games. This is especially true when many of the games that sold poorly were either broken ports, overpriced ports, or both. Dark Souls could have been a good indicator of how well a third party mature game could do on Switch but, of course, that had to be delayed as well.
You can also add RE Revelations 1/2 to the "sold well" list. I think Dark Souls will still be big on Switch even with the delay. Attack on Titan 2 probably bombed but I'm sure it bombed everywhere.

There's also plenty of mature eShop targeted indie games that have done well (BOI Afterbirth+, Outlast 1/2, etc).

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came here after hearing the great news of Crash being Switch's fastest selling game this year, and apparantly even that's been spun into a full negative in this thread?

These threads' ability to be consistently anti-Switch is pretty impressive.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
That is still ignoring a whole host of factors. For one, the late ports of mature games on Switch... all 5 of them so far, have generally been undermarketed, overpriced and launched with mediocre performance or other issues such as mandatory downloads (LA Noire, DOOM, Wolf 2) or game-breaking bugs (South Park). They also, apart from Skyrim (which, coincidentally, sold quite well on Switch), haven't been in terribly 'large' franchises, whereas many of the late ports of more casual games have massive names like Mario, Crash and Zelda behind them.

So, right now, we have three categories. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Mature late ports that sold decently-to-well on Switch:
- Skyrim
- Bayonetta 1+2

Mature late ports that sold 'OK' on Switch:
- DOOM

Mature late ports that sold poorly on Switch:
- South Park: TFBH
- Wolfenstein 2
- Payday 2 (?)

And then add in LA Noire, which I'm assuming sold OK, and the not-mature-but-still-not-like-Nintendo-games such as Fifa, NBA and WWE (which, again, I'm assuming sold OK, OK and Poorly respectively) and I don't really see enough evidence there to conclusively decide that Nintendo fans don't buy mature third party games. This is especially true when many of the games that sold poorly were either broken ports, overpriced ports, or both. Dark Souls could have been a good indicator of how well a third party mature game could do on Switch but, of course, that had to be delayed as well.

RE Revelations

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
First a disclaimer: we should agree on a definition of "selling well". Because if Skyrim did the numbers it did on Switch on the other big consoles, the Elder Scrolls series would be dead. And this ultimately brings us to discussing "selling well for the platform" vs "selling well for the developer" and we're back to square one.
Here's one:

Has it been selling in line with the 2016's Special Edition release on PS4 and Xbone individually, relative to the user base difference at the time of Switch release?

Because THAT is a relevant comparison, not vanilla Skyrim release at the peak of it's launch hype in 2011.

I genuinely don't know about that. Would be curious to know.

Last edited:

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can also add RE Revelations 1/2 to the "sold well" list. I think Dark Souls will still be big on Switch even with the delay. Attack on Titan 2 probably bombed but I'm sure it bombed everywhere.

There's also plenty of mature eShop targeted indie games that have done well (BOI Afterbirth+, Outlast 1/2, etc).

Revelations are the most revealing ports of all. Outselling both PS4 and X1 versions combined worldwide.

And they just happened to be two of the extremely few actually appropriately priced ports. Wonder if there's a correlation.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
We're in July, and we just found out that the best first week for a game on the platform this year has been... 11k? That's healthy?

And? We know it's been a slow 6 months for Switch releases. Doesn't this show though that outside of a few games this is generally the usual for the UK market whatever the console? DKTF entered the charts at number 2 for example.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
First a disclaimer: we should agree on a definition of "selling well". Because if Skyrim did the numbers it did on Switch on the other big consoles, the Elder Scrolls series would be dead. And this ultimately brings us to discussing "selling well for the platform" vs "selling well for the developer" and we're back to square one.

Nobody is arguing that third party games will never sell on Switch. The point of discussion is that in this world were Tomb Raider can sell 4 million copies and be considered a failure, the Switch is a platform were 250.000 units are considered a success, and that makes it a non-entity for third party developers. Sure, they'll have their late ports because nobody hates money but if you expect any third party dev to start creating a game with the Switch in mind you're delusional, and that's the problem for Switch users.
"Because if Skyrim did the numbers it did on Switch on the other big consoles, the Elder Scrolls series would be dead."

Sure, let's take it further. If Dark Souls did the numbers it did on PS4 and on XB on the other big consoles, the Dark Souls would be dead... Nonsense, right? Because Dark Souls is a remaster of an older game, right? Same goes for Skyrim, only add to that its being a late port of that remaster. Making your sentence nonsense as well.

"The Switch is a platform were 250.000 units are considered a success". No, just no. It's a platform where an Indie game selling 250k in 2 weeks is considered a success, same as it would be considered a success on PC.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I really don't get the negativity around the Switch with the pal threads...around a third of the individual chart is made up of Switch games. Yes we know it's behind PS4 and XB1 in sales but not as far back to say that it is dead...

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Because if Skyrim did the numbers it did on Switch on the other big consoles, the Elder Scrolls series would be dead."

Sure, let's take it further. If Dark Souls did the numbers it did on PS4 and on XB on the other big consoles, the Dark Souls would be dead... Nonsense, right? Same as your sentence.

So we get back to the point, it was a bloody old port that was fundamentally a cash in and we have no way to know if Skyrim would have sold well on Switch because the Switch wasn't around back there (staggered console release) and we won't know when TESVI releases because it won't be on Switch (old ass tech) and when a port of TESVI gets released in 2022 on the Switch 2 we'll be discussing "How can we look at this and draw any kind of judgement, it's an old ass port that's not feature perfect!" and meanwhile Fallout 5 is releasing on PS5 and Xbox Two and it's not on Switch 2 and we're back to square one.

And that's what I've been saying from the beginning.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really don't get the negativity around the Switch with the pal threads...around a third of the individual chart is made up of Switch games. Yes we know it's behind PS4 and XB1 in sales but not as far back to say that it is dead...

It's the numbers. You can't really draw any judgement on the health of games on a console when the best selling one is selling 10k units. You can't really look at position, it's not an F1 race, you don't get money based on where you place in the ladder.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's the numbers. You can't really draw any judgement on the health of games on a console when the best selling one is selling 10k units. You can't really look at position, it's not an F1 race, you don't get money based on where you place in the ladder.

It was 11k a second ago, are you going to keep dropping the numbers down?

Feb 26, 2018
No
It's an obvious anti-Switch agenda
Actual sales numbers doesn't matter.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Came here after hearing the great news of Crash being Switch's fastest selling game this year, and apparantly even that's been spun into a full negative in this thread?

Many users would be less vocal if the Switch would be really underperforming....but since it's doing quite well some are extra invested to make sure to get their alternative facts out.

Switch has has like 3-4 titles in the Top 10 for most of the year and yet it's being called a corpse here lol.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Many users would be less vocal if the Switch would be really underperforming....but since it's doing quite well some are extra invested to make sure to get their alternative facts out.

Switch has has like 3-4 titles in the Top 10 for most of the year and yet it's being called a corpse here lol.

Yeah, the best selling game this year sold what, 15k units in its first week and it's not really underperforming. Nope, everything is jolly good in UK land for Nintendo. I'm sure somewhere they're looking at their best selling games moving 50k units in six months and saying "That's probably over half a million dollars in revenue! After taxes we have enough cash to pay 5 or 6 people this year. What more we could ask for?".

And mind you, currently the UK market isn't healthy for ANYBODY. I'm sure digital sales play a huge part here and things aren't this grim, but still games are selling poorly in the UK at the moment.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can count on 1 hand the amount of games on all consoles that have sold well going by your standards in the past 6 months.

In the UK? You'd probably be looking at a dozen games, but the point stands. Nowhere I said the UK market is doing particularly well for the others. But the difference is that while others consoles are occasionally moving hundred of thousands of units with their top sellers, Nintendo at the moment isn't.

You can pretend it's not happening or you can accept that the UK is becoming a particularly tough market for Nintendo and the current draught (wait! There's no draught! Crash being the top seller for the year at 15k units is perfectly normal for a semester crowded with software!... I guess?) isn't helping.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Wolf2 opened at #4 combined between XB/PS4 at launch, when the hype was the highest and on two systems. What did people really expect from the Switch version? In PAL of all regions...

I think it'll go one to do fine numbers, similar to the DOOM port globally. Can't imagine after the low sales of it for the other two consoles that Bethesda had crazy internal expectations for the port.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
In the UK? You'd probably be looking at a dozen games, but the point stands. Nowhere I said the UK market is doing particularly well for the others. But the difference is that while others consoles are occasionally moving hundred of thousands of units with their top sellers, Nintendo at the moment isn't.

You can pretend it's not happening or you can accept that the UK is becoming a particularly tough market for Nintendo and the current draught (wait! There's no draught! Crash being the top seller for the year at 15k units is perfectly normal for a semester crowded with software!... I guess?) isn't helping.

If the UK market isn't doing particular well then 98% of markets are also in trouble.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-now-europes-biggest-video-games-market.47198/

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 is probably in a weird place when it comes to the switch. A single player only largeish scale FPS. Not sure I see a massive market for playing such a game portably since its uncomfortable to play FPS games in that way on the switch for too long and the games that work well tend to be ones like Splatoon 2 that have short bursts of matches, rather than longer campaigns.

And on the TV, the switch version is inferior to the point that anyone with another option will likely choose that way to play it.

I picked up Doom on the switch to play the MP on the go (I'd finished the campaign prior to the switch version). But wouldn't buy Wolf 2 as I completed it when the X came out and don't have a good reason to revisit it.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If the UK market isn't doing particular well then 98% of markets are also in trouble.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-now-europes-biggest-video-games-market.47198/

If you read the actual article you'll see that the growth in E&M is mostly focused on other segments. The article is also full of rather... courageous forecasts. The VR install base growing to 7.8 million units - that's more than one VR headset every 10 people - in particular feels outlandish.

As I said earlier, I think digital sales play a large part here.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018

Being the fastest selling game of the year with around 12k doesn't really need spinning. It speaks for itself.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you think it selling as well as the XB1 version is bad? I'm not sure that you understand the UK market and the fact that the XB1 sells well here compared to most other European countries.
Not to mention the fact that this XB1 has been on the market since 2013 and it's in its 5th year...compared to Switch which isn't even a year and a half old. A 250 unit lead isn't anything to shout about given the above.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That Nintendo going third party dream won't die for some.

Remember the doubts when Switch was selling out around the world. You had people posting pics whenever they saw a few boxes in store just to try and discredit the claims of it being sold out.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
If you read the actual article you'll see that the growth in E&M is mostly focused on other segments. The article is also full of rather... courageous forecasts. The VR install base growing to 7.8 million units - that's more than one VR headset every 10 people - in particular feels outlandish.

As I said earlier, I think digital sales play a large part here.
I was responding to the fact that you said that the UK market wasn't doing particular well.

Gone on.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Nah it's fine, if you want to say The Crew 2 sold well then go ahead...it just shows that there's no point in having a discussion with you lol.
Why be disingenuous, where did I say it sold well? You ask for games that sold more than 20k. You implied it was less than five. I gave your more. If you wanted to stop debating that's fine but don't misconstrue the argument.