• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Dezember top 20 for Germany is out: https://www.biu-online.de/marktdaten/top-20-pc-konsole-dezember-2017/

01 (03) FIFA 18
02 (01) CALL OF DUTY: WWII
03 (06) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY
04 (05) STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT 2
05 (11) MARIO KART 8
06 (03) ASSASSINS CREED: ORIGINS
07 (04) NEED FOR SPEED: PAYBACK
08 (10) GRAND THEFT AUTO V
09 (16) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD
10 (NE) JUST DANCE 2018
11 (07) GRAN TURISMO SPORT
12 (08) POKEMON ULTRA SUN
13 (RE) MINECRAFT
14 (RE) CRASH BANDICOOT N SANE TRILOGY
15 (09) POKEMON ULTRA MOON
16 (15) THE SIMS 4: DELUXE PARTY EDITION
17 (RE) SPLATOON 2
18 (RE) THE SIMS 4
19 (RE) MARIO & RABBIS KINGDOM BATTLE
20 (12) WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS

As expected strong performance from Switch titles. Unfortunately XBC 2 is out of the top 20, though. And Fifa on top again for December.
That confirms there is no way GTS sold less than U:LL in 2017.

In November GTS was ahead it already.

That 2017 chart probably has some mistakes.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Titles with great legs will slowly move up the charts, which Nintendo games are usually leggy.

Still a good sign for the growing user base in the UK.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Nintendo titles dropped less week on week, with BOTW actually rising.

All other platforms are continuing their post holiday drop, while Switch already had it during Week 52/Week 1 and now has settled into it's baseline. Basically the sales of Switch games is linked with how much hardware is being sold, much like how GTAV sales are linked with the amount of new PS4/X1 owners.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Maybe they count both individual sales and season pass for U:LL in the 2017 charts.
First look I guessed the chart was revenue but GTS had > 100k at full price ($60) while U:LL was $40... even if the rest of GTS sales was discounted it is near impossible to sell less at $40 and have more revenue.

...which is perfectly reasonable being GT a much bigger IP and LL a de facto spin-off of Uncharted.
Yeap but that is not my point... the 2017 German chart shows U:LL > GTS.

With GTS being ahead in December I can't find a reasonable excuse to U:LL be ahead in 2017 chart.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It could also be that the mistake happened somewhere in the BIU Sales Awards press releases between September and December since Amazon DE (Germany's biggest retailer by far) also confirms Uncharted > GTS.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Forza Horizon 3 continues to be a beast, okay jump for GT Sport though. Wonder if the upcoming patch with new content will ignite any sales.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is mega impressive, given how Nintendo doesn't really have a massive hold in the UK.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe BIU received new Digital numbers from Sony, we don't know how often they receive digital numbers, they projection could have been of.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
There's always so much chatter over the UK charts, but at this time of year, there's little between anything outside the top 5 and place #40.

Take Forza 7, last week it was #9 in the All Formats chart after a sale, this week it's #32. I bet the difference in retail sales is only a few thousand.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe BIU received new Digital numbers from Sony, we don't know how often they receive digital numbers, they projection could have been of.

Either they made a mistake in one of their monthly press releases, in the yearly chart or there is no mistake and we are overseeing something trivial here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That confirms there is no way GTS sold less than U:LL in 2017.

In November GTS was ahead it already.

That 2017 chart probably has some mistakes.
That's indeed strange. One of three things could explain this:
- The best seller list for 2017 is wrong;
- One or more of the BIU awards was given too early or too late (or wrongly) to one of the games;
- BIU has received a digital sales update which gave TLL a boost (being free for UC4 season pass owners.

Hopefully BIU will come out and correct whatever went wrong if something went wrong, or otherwise clarify that the 2017 list includes digital.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Switch has been doing really well in the UK since its launch, it was sold out everywhere for a good few months.

I don't know where this narrative has come from about Switch not doing well in the UK - it's just not been the 'fastest selling console ever' etc, but I think PS2 and Wii were so phenomenally huge in the UK right out of the gate, that it was a mammoth task for that to happen anyway.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Great to see Zelda still selling, its expensive too - for some reason its like 6 UKP more than mario on amazon UK

Also surprised to see PUBG lower than GTA V, perhaps the success of Fortnite is dampening sales...

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
It would seem that the switch is enjoying good weekly sales post Christmas with all of the high charting sales.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
At least next week we have new interesting releases (MH:W and DBFZ) after these rather boring post holiday weeks.

Highstone

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jan 22, 2018
Wow, I live in an era that I will tell my kids that game digital code in the box does really well in move units every week.

Nice start for Digi-mon, if Namco tries hard enough the franchise could become their Pokémon.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see the split between physical and digital on PUBG - why do people buy a code in a store? Or is the code/game bundled currently?
Why not? You get the code in the box delivered to your home.
You get the benefits of both digital and physical (competitive retail pricing in the UK).

Digital split will be high, but every game that sells well is doing it across all channels.

I have reached out to BIU to clarify if that's mistake, we will see.

BIU sales awards include digital sales (and bundle copies, too) if the publisher does report them to the BIU to reach that threshold.
The 2017 full year chart does neither include digital sales, or bundle copies.
There is no mistake.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
BUI sales awards include digital sales (and bundle copies, too) if the publisher does report them to the BUI to reach that threshold.
There is no mistake.
Are you sayint the 2017 chart didn't give you the full picture of the sales while the BIU Award give you the full picture? Where I can find this info? Thanks.

I just find it stranger to have a metric for the awards and other metric to the year chart... that generates a lot of confusion.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Why not? You get the code in the box delivered to your home.
You get the benefits of both digital and physical (competitive retail pricing in the UK).

Digital split will be high, but every game that sells well is doing it across all channels.

BIU sales awards include digital sales (and bundle copies, too) if the publisher does report them to the BIU to reach that threshold.
There is no mistake.

I mean that would be the only logical explanation. Where did you find the information about the yearly chart though?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sayint the 2017 chart didn't give you the full picture of the sales while the BIU Award give you the full picture? Where I can find this info? Thanks.

I just find it stranger to have a metric for the awards and other metric to the year chart... that generates a lot of confusion.
Yes, the 2017 chart does not give the full picture.
It's the same as the UK where they also don't include digital sales.
And for Germany, even hard bundle copies are not included (the UK is the exception here to include them).

BIU awards are a guesswork. Those could be retail only or total sales, if the publisher reports the total number of copies sold across all channels.

I don't think there is a good source for this, but if you follow the charts it's pretty obvious.
Heavily bundles games do not chart as high in Germany all year long unlike the UK.
Digital games like Rocket League are not constantly in the top 5.

I mean that would be the only logical explanation. Where did you find the information about the yearly chart though?
To be fair i just assume here that the full year chart consists of the same data as the monthly charts and that is the only way it makes sense.
The NPD yearly chart is also revenue based physical retail sales (without hard bundles) and digital sales from participant publishers just like the monthly charts.
The UK yearly chart is also physical units based including hard bundle copies just like the weekly charts.

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't sales inedibly low and bunched if a non charting Wii U version of Zelda caused it to move up the combined charts compared to the individual?
Yeah there's not really anything to be more than neutral about for any game that's under GTA V considering how much it tanked and still grabbed #3.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I am not into Digimon, but I am happy to see that it placed higher than the previous entry. I just like to see those kinds of JRPGs charting.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Good results for Nintendo but not exactly encouraging signs for third parties on Switch.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the 2017 chart does not give the full picture.
It's the same as the UK where they also don't include digital sales.
And for Germany, even hard bundle copies are not included (the UK is the exception here to include them).

BIU awards are a guesswork. Those could be retail only or total sales, if the publisher reports the total number of copies sold across all channels.

I don't think there is a good source for this, but if you follow the charts it's pretty obvious.
Heavily bundles games do not chart as high in Germany all year long unlike the UK.
Digital games like Rocket League are not constantly in the top 5.

To be fair i just assume here that the full year chart consists of the same data as the monthly charts and that is the only way it makes sense.
The NPD yearly chart is also revenue based physical retail sales (without hard bundles) and digital sales from participant publishers just like the monthly charts.
The UK yearly chart is also physical units based including hard bundle copies just like the weekly charts.

BIU awards include digital sales, per the description at the bottom:
Die ausgewiesenen Verkaufsmengen enthalten plattformspezifische Hochrechnungsfaktoren zur Gesamtmarktabdeckung und zur Berücksichtigung digitaler Verkäufe.
The reported sales volumes include platform-specific extrapolation factors for total market coverage and digital sales.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah there's not really anything to be more than neutral about for any game that's under GTA V considering how much it tanked and still grabbed #3.

Yeah I don't get it every January we talk about how low sales are and how it doesn't take much to chart but this January is different how?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BIU awards include digital sales, per the description at the bottom:

Thanks, but why not post the full quote?
Die ausgewiesenen Verkaufsmengen enthalten plattformspezifische Hochrechnungsfaktoren zur Gesamtmarktabdeckung und zur Berücksichtigung digitaler Verkäufe. Die Festlegung dieser Faktoren obliegt dem BIU in Zusammenarbeit mit GfK Entertainment. Zusätzlich können Anbieter von Computer- und Videospielen dem BIU ihre kumulierten Digital-Verkäufe unter [email protected] melden.
The reported sales volumes include platform-specific extrapolation for total market coverage and digital sales [...] Additionally Publisher of PC and Video Games may report their cumulative digital sales to the BIU at [email protected]
So it's either including digital extrapolation OR publisher reporting actual digital sales for a specific game.
My bad i didn't get it 100% correct in the first place. But he main point still stands. The GFK charts and BIU awards are different.

edit:
Extrapolation for a 100k+ or 200k+ award is also less problematic and easier to make compared to a specific chart where X is ahead of below Y by just a few thousand units.
For the awards the margin of error is not that important. If they estimate 210k and the actual sales are 235k, that is no problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.