• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
In a couple of days MHW will launch. I think it's a good idea to look at the performance of MH4U to get a sense of the sales context of the 3DS MH releases in the West:

In general, MH4U is the only MH game to breach the 1 million mark in the West, totalling 4 million units sold (shipped, but that was 2 years ago) with Japan + West combined. It launched February 13th 2015 in Europe and NA.

- Germany: The game failed to hit the 100k milestone within its first 12 months on the market.
- UK: The debuted at no. 4 in the combined format ranking. The game's sales should be somewhere between 16,733 and 23,763 units (thanks BrunoMB!), representing a 95% boost compared to MH3U. The second week saw a drop to no. 12, with a 68% drop. The third week saw a drop to no. 20.
- France: MH4U debuted at no. 2 in France, behind TLOZ Majora's Mask 3DS and ahead of Evolve PS4. The following week saw it hold on to the no. 2 spot, behind The Order 1886. The third week saw it drop out of the top 5 as DB Xenoverse and Dying Light launched.
- Spain: In Spain, MH4U was the second best selling game of February, behind TLOZ Majora's Mask 3DS and ahead of The Order 1886. In March, it dropped out of the top 10.
- US: In February, the game sold over 290k units physical and digital per Nintendo PR, and landed at no. 10 in the monthly ranking for February. In March, it dropped out of the top 10.

That all I can find on MH4U, hopefully it paints a bit of a picture of MH4U's performance in the West.

Edit: One more thing: The following leak from NPD insider Creamsugar puts MH4U at 278k after March, which is for the unbundled physical-only sales.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
ethomaz Frankfurter Soony Xbone Uhh

I got a response from GfK Entertainment who is compiling both BIU Sales Awards and the Yearly chart in cooperation with BIU:

Die Auswertung des BIU Sales Awards kann mit der Auswertung der Jahrescharts nicht verglichen werden. Grund hierfür ist, dass die Spiele unterschiedlich betrachtet werden.

Bei den BIU Sales Awards werden alle Versionen eines Titels zu einem 'Haupttitel' zusammengefasst und die Verkäufe der Einzeltitel addiert. Konkret an dem Beispiel "Gran Turismo Sport" heißt das, dass "Gran Turismo Sport", "Gran Turismo Sport Collectors Edition", "Gran Turismo Sport + PS4 Wireless Dual Shock Contr.", "Gran Turismo Sport Special Edition" sowie "Gran Turismo Sport Standard Plus Edtition" zusammengefasst wurden und demnach "Gran Turismo Sport" in den BIU Sales Awards an höherer Stelle gelistet ist.

In den Jahrescharts hingegen werden die einzelnen Titel ausgewertet. D.h. hier werden die Titel, abhängig von ihrer Version, einzeln im Ranking bewertet. Da sich jedoch keiner der "Gran Turismo Sport" Titel einzeln so gut verkauft hat wie andere Konkurrenztitel, taucht "Gran Turismo Sport" in den Top 20 Jahrescharts 2017 nicht auf.

Rough translation, sorry in advance and feel free to correct it:

BIU Sales Awards and the Yearly chart are not comparable since they are being compiled differently.

BIU Sales Awards takes all SKUs of a game into consideration and combines their sales into one main game. For GT Sport the following SKUs have been merged to GT Sport: "Gran Turismo Sport", "Gran Turismo Sport Collectors Edition", "Gran Turismo Sport + PS4 Wireless Dual Shock Contr.", "Gran Turismo Sport Special Edition" and "Gran Turismo Sport Standard Plus Edtition".

The yearly chart on the other hand takes single SKUs into consideration. Since none of the single GT Sport SKUs has sold as much as other titles in the Top 20 it's not charting in the yearly chart.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I got a response from GfK Entertainment who is compiling both BIU Sales Awards and the Yearly chart in cooperation with BIU:

Based on SKU vs Top Titel makes also sense. That would be in addition to digital / retail i assume.
Digital versions are also often different SKUs.
Many games today have only 1 retail Version, but 3 different digital version.

Thanks for that.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

Thanks for the work getting the explanation.

So overall (all SKUs) GTS sold more but all single GTS SKUs sold less than the best selling single U:LL SKU.

They could use the same metric for all ranking or add an * telling the yearly ranking is for single SKU.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the work getting the explanation.

So overall (all SKUs) GTS sold more but all single GTS SKUs sold less than the best selling single U:LL SKU.

They could use the same metric for all ranking or add an * telling the yearly ranking is for single SKU.

Yep exactly, GTS sold more than Uncharted but since Uncharted only had one SKU and that outsold the main SKU of GTS it's above GTS in the yearly chart. I agree it's weird they use different metrics for BIU Sales Awards and yearly charts.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a couple of days MHW will launch. I think it's a good idea to look at the performance of MH4U to get a sense of the sales context of the 3DS MH releases in the West:

In general, MH4U is the only MH game to breach the 1 million mark in the West, totalling 4 million units sold (shipped, but that was 2 years ago) with Japan + West combined. It launched February 13th 2015 in Europe and NA.

- Germany: The game failed to hit the 100k milestone within its first 12 months on the market.
- UK: The debuted at no. 4 in the combined format ranking. The game's sales should be somewhere between 16,733 and 23,763 units (thanks BrunoMB!), representing a 95% boost compared to MH3U. The second week saw a drop to no. 12, with a 68% drop. The third week saw a drop to no. 20.
- France: MH4U debuted at no. 2 in France, behind TLOZ Majora's Mask 3DS and ahead of Evolve PS4. The following week saw it hold on to the no. 2 spot, behind The Order 1886. The third week saw it drop out of the top 5 as DB Xenoverse and Dying Light launched.
- Spain: In Spain, MH4U was the second best selling game of February, behind TLOZ Majora's Mask 3DS and ahead of The Order 1886. In March, it dropped out of the top 10.
- US: In February, the game sold over 290k units physical and digital per Nintendo PR, and landed at no. 10 in the monthly ranking for February. In March, it dropped out of the top 10.

That all I can find on MH4U, hopefully it paints a bit of a picture of MH4U's performance in the West.

Edit: One more thing: The following leak from NPD insider Creamsugar puts MH4U at 278k after March, which is for the unbundled physical-only sales.

Maybe it will be a hard week for MHU because Friday relese. Will perform well in next few weeks surely. I expecting that it will reach Top 5 combined in launch week. Curious too see how Xbone version will perform. IMO, won't reach Top 10 individual.

little EDIT

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think MHW will be no.1 and pip DBZ overall but the PS4 version of DB will outsell MHW on Xbox. Can't see the latter doing very well and it'll disappear down the charts very quickly.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
In France, DBFZ will be in the n°1 spot. There is no doubt about that, there is a lot of excitement surounding the game. MHW will do well but on a smaller scale.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
In the UK I see MHW being #1 by some distance. PS4 sku of DBZ will be ahead of XB1 sku of MHW.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
In Spain, it should win Dragon Ball FighterZ even if the anime is mistreated here and Monster Hunter does have more marketing.

Oct 26, 2017
In France, Italy and Spain, DBFZ might outsell Monster Hunter easily in launch week, especially in Italy and France.
Not sure about UK tho.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
MHW will surely debut better than 3DS entries, there's not doubt about that. Much bigger installed base and huge marketing campaign by Capcom.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MHW will surely debut better than 3DS entries, there's not doubt about that. Much bigger installed base and huge marketing campaign by Capcom.
Yeah, I'm expecting it to be bigger. Not sure how much bigger, though: as I noted in my post, M4HU sold 95% better than MH3U, finally breaking the 1 million. The series didn't sell well at first, so there might have been some fanbase building there. The question now is how much of that existing fanbase crosses over to PS4 from the 3DS, and whether the game will attract a significant share of the existing PS4 base in addition to that. The marketing will help a lot, but even then we need to see how attractive MH's proposition turns out to be. It'll be an interesting thing to watch in the coming weeks for sure.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Yeah, I'm expecting it to be bigger. Not sure how much bigger, though: as I noted in my post, M4HU sold 95% better than MH3U, finally breaking the 1 million. The series didn't sell well at first, so there might have been some fanbase building there. The question now is how much of that existing fanbase crosses over to PS4 from the 3DS, and whether the game will attract a significant share of the existing PS4 base in addition to that. The marketing will help a lot, but even then we need to see how attractive MH's proposition turns out to be. It'll be an interesting thing to watch in the coming weeks for sure.

In terms of debut, it will be bigger. Capcom is treating MHW as a mainline RE or SF entry. Previous MH entries were advertised by Nintendo which gave the right amount of time but not too much attention. For example, MH4U shared promotion with Majora's Mask.

Also, it will sell more in the long-run too. I'm expecing 2m in the West at least.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
In terms of debut, it will be bigger. Capcom is treating MHW as a mainline RE or SF entry. Previous MH entries were advertised by Nintendo which gave the right amount of time but not too much attention. For example, MH4U shared promotion with Majora's Mask.

Also, it will sell more in the long-run too. I'm expecing 2m in the West at least.
I think it will need to sell more than 2 million in the whole of the west. Japan will be 2.5M tops (probably more like 2M), so that would be a disappointing result, and furthermore mean that the expansion of a userbase has come at the loss of existing userbase such that no net gain has been made, while marketing and dev budget have increased (although Sony might be shouldering a lot of the marketing).

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Ball is a huge part of pop culture here in Italy, I'm sure the game will be a success.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it will need to sell more than 2 million in the whole of the west. Japan will be 2.5M tops (probably more like 2M), so that would be a disappointing result, and furthermore mean that the expansion of a userbase has come at the loss of existing userbase such that no net gain has been made, while marketing and dev budget have increased (although Sony might be shouldering a lot of the marketing).

It would be dissapointing to sell 4.5 million copies of MH? That's a reach. The price of the game will be higher and PS/X1 users buy tons of DLC. Plus it's selling to an all new userbase isn't that the excuse given whenever a switch game doesn't sell as well as expected. Capcom would be rejoicing to sell 4.5 million copies on their first go at an next gen MH. When was the last time MH even sold 4.5 million copies? PSP?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
For Monster Hunter, i believe ~2 million in Japan and ~2 million outside of that looks reasonable, on console. Then ~1 million on PC for a total of 5 million.

In France, Italy and Spain, DBFZ might outsell Monster Hunter easily in la unch week, especially in Italy and France.
Not sure about UK tho.

I 100% agree with you. Dragon Ball is very big in those countries, and every games perform amazing. I think Monster Hunter will win in UK, while Germany is gonna be close.

MH will sell more than DBZ in Italy. Don't know about France.

No.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Do you have numbers or evidence to suggest its much bigger than previous MHs? 3DS MHs got TV ads as well.

For once, just look at the coverage by gaming press. Both EDGE and Game Informer featured MHW as their cover story. IIRC, this never happened for a 3DS MH game. This goes along with the coverage by digital outlets. For example, IGN has been releasing videos about MHW (betas, gameplay, etc.) almost on a daily basis on its Facebook channel. This didn't happen for 3DS entries.

Further, MHW got a prominent space in basically all relevant gaming events of the past year. It featured Sony E3 conference, Sony TGS conference, it got a nice exposition during Gamescom. Previous entries never got such coverage from Nintendo outside Directs and Treehouse Live.

Also, around E3 and around TGS release date reveal, Capcom run YT campaign (the reason why some trailets got so many views, as shown by the view/like ratio).

As for TV ads, I don't know how much previous entries were advertised. Surely, I personally never seen such a big promotion in stores for a MH game in Europe.

Capcom is treating MHW as a top product, similarly to a mainline RE or SF, which is also shown by the simultaneous worldwide release and the 3 betas.

Last edited:

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
XB1 version of MHW is going to tank, so that seems clear to me.

Previous MH game reached number 4 with 16.7k to 23.7k. I think MHW will do better than that, presumably around 40k, so it should easily take the #1 spot imo.
Well they haven't advertised on Xbox at all, the beta could of got people interested but they skipped that too. Its their fault if it bombs on Xbox.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For once, just look at the coverage by gaming press. Both EDGE and Game Informer featured MHW as their cover story. IIRC, this never happened for a 3DS MH game. This goes along with the coverage by digital outlets. For example, IGN has been releasing videos about MHW (betas, gameplay, etc.) almost on a daily basis on its Facebook channel. This didn't happen for 3DS entries.

Further, MHW got a prominent space in basically all relevant gaming events of the past year. It featured Sony E3 conference, Sony TGS conference, it got a nice exposition during Gamescom. Previous entries never got such coverage from Nintendo outside Directs and Treehouse Live.

Also, around E3 and around TGS release date reveal, Capcom run YT campaign (the reason why some trailets got so many views, as shown by the view/like ratio).

As for TV ads, I don't know how much previous entries were advertised. Surely, I personally never seen such a big promotion in stores for a MH game in Europe.

Capcom is treating MHW as a top product, similarly to a mainline RE or SF, which is also shown by the simultaneous worldwide release and the 3 betas.

How much of that gaming media coverage is actually advertisement though?

Ok we cant say it is dominating based on the data provided but we can assume things without data now?

Not at all. Its well known in the data that PS4 dominates multiplat releases in Germany.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Some of you are talking as if MHW was the first game to have a marketing deal to promote said version. It happens a dozen times every year and games don't 'bomb' on the other platform because of that. The performance of MHW on the XB1 is not going to drastically change if there was some youtube footage of the game on that system

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are talking as if MHW was the first game to have a marketing deal to promote said version. It happens a dozen times every year and games don't 'bomb' on the other platform because of that. The performance of MHW on the XB1 is not going to drastically change if there was some youtube footage of the game on that system
MH is pretty much a new IP for the majority of gamers so a marketing deal can seriously screw with sales on the other platforms

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Good!

Anyway...
Honestly why is the UK still considered the main market in EU? Germany or france would make more sense imo. Is it due to the lagging behind sales numbers?
We would absolutely be talking about France and Germany if they provided regular and expanded numbers (France is a week late and provides only a top 5, Germany only a late monthly chart with a top 20). The minute they would provide those numbers we would include them in the full analysis. As it stands, though, we simply can't, so there's no point in trying to give it equal attention.

We probably should be more aware of the fact that the UK doesn't speak for the whole of Europe, at least not fully, which is something that sometimes is lacking.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We would absolutely be talking about France and Germany if they provided regular and expanded numbers (France is a week late and provides only a top 5, Germany only a late monthly chart with a top 20). The minute they would provide those numbers we would include them in the full analysis. As it stands, though, we simply can't, so there's no point in trying to give it equal attention.

We probably should be more aware of the fact that the UK doesn't speak for the whole of Europe, at least not fully, which is something that sometimes is lacking.
Thanks! Yeah that makes a lot of sense indeed and yup the last part is quite true some people base the eu market on a single country, while there are multiple big markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.