• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not a single Xbox One title in Italy's Top 50. It's crazy how different some markets are despite being so close geographically.
Yes but culturally each country has remained very different in Europe - primarily due to the different languages almost keeping invisible borders between the countries despite the EU progression.

Xbox does particularly well in the English-speaking 'Anglosphere' - but when it comes to localisation it's a joke, a big reason why they have so little success in non-English speaking countries. Boot up the Xbox One in France for example, and you'll see a mish-mash of English and French used all over the home screen and store, it's an absolute mess. Americans wouldn't settle for that if it were the other way around, not sure why Microsoft thinks other countries would find it acceptable. On the flip-side, Sony has always been excellent at localisation, not just in terms of translation, but also localised marketing, and even first party games aimed at specific regions.

belgoray

Nov 3, 2017
Could you share with us a range for the digital ratio in the current platforms ? Thanks !

No, sorry, can't share those.

That's such a weird rule, the numbers must be pretty outdated if any game receiving such a price cut won't be counted anymore.

Why do you think they'd be outdated?

Example: "Game A" is released in July 2017 for retail price of €55. By November 2017, it has sold over 200.000 copies in Germany. In the meantime, the price has been lowered to €45, which means 18% less than at release. All is well, "Game A" will get its game Sales Award for 200.000 sold copies. By January 2018, "Game A" has sold 500.000 copies, but in the meantime the price went down further, to €29. That means that the price is now 47% lower than at release - meaning "Game A" won't be awarded the 500.000 copies Sales Award.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Wait, how is Octopath only in the Physical + Digital chart (and at 2nd), but in none of the others?

Edit: and how are there Nintendo games in the digital chart if they dont share eShop data?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how is Octopath only in the Physical + Digital chart (and at 2nd), but in none of the others?

Edit: and how are there Nintendo games in the digital chart if they dont share eShop data?

That chart shows Octopath as a "New Entry" and Captain Toad rising from 963rd to 4th. That's a chart from when both games released, so I don't know what's doing over there. Editing error, I assume.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why do you think they'd be outdated?

Example: "Game A" is released in July 2017 for retail price of €55. By November 2017, it has sold over 200.000 copies in Germany. In the meantime, the price has been lowered to €45, which means 18% less than at release. All is well, "Game A" will get its game Sales Award for 200.000 sold copies. By January 2018, "Game A" has sold 500.000 copies, but in the meantime the price went down further, to €29. That means that the price is now 47% lower than at release - meaning "Game A" won't be awarded the 500.000 copies Sales Award.
Don't yearly games like FIFA and CoD drop faster than that in price? Also there are leggy titles which will sell for years or a price promotion that could help and old title to push some numbers, I'm just not sure why there is such a rule.

belgoray

Nov 3, 2017
I'm just not sure why there is such a rule.

The short, undifferentiated answer would be that it's not as hard to sell games at a much lower price ;) The game Sales Awards are meant to reward sales successes.
It's not necessarly meant to be used as a historic database/record of game sales figures. Of course we're aware that outlets use it as such, but that's why it's important to point out the rules. Just because the last Call of Duty hasn't gotten a 500k award from us yet doesn't necessarly mean that it hasn't sold more 500k copies.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I might be able to shed some light here. For the game Sales Awards, we receive boxed sales figures from GfK. We then add an expansion factor for digital sales of all the titles, based on the platforms they were released on. These factors are tuned twice a year based on the feedback of our members (+200 plus companies in the German games industry) who are part of the association's market research working group.

There are some additional rules here:
- Only games with a retail price higher than €20 are considered for game Sales Awards.
- If the retail price of a game is lowered more than 20%, it is no longer considered for a game Sales Award.

Full rules (German) can be seen here https://stage.game.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-01-22-game-Sales-Award-Reglement-2018.pdf

Thank you for the explanation. I have always wanted to exactly know how these BIU Sales Awards exactly worked.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is getting stronger in Europe it looks like. Even in the UK, Mario Kart 8D is the no.1 selling game (individual format) and Mario Odyssey is a very healthy no.4. Those are strong legs for what is supposed to be a weaker market. When Nintendo is going good in the UK, basically you know they are doing well.

France is just pure Nintendomination. Germany looks decent for Nintendo also.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Nintendo is getting stronger in Europe it looks like, even in the UK.

I mentioned back in January that I could see the PlayStation 4 and Switch coexisting in perfect harmony, whereas the Xbox One, in its second strongest market by a significant margin is very slowly waning here in the UK.

Rarely do any first party games appear in the top forty except the bundled games like Forza Horizon 3 and Sea of Thieves, as we can see in this weeks PAL chart, and Nintendo and Sony seemingly happily share the top ten/twenty with their own brilliant exclusives.

Forza Horizon 4 will do well though, and I am sure that that will be the bundled game from September onwards, which means we'll see an influx of posts from Xbox fans who have gone ominously quiet in these PAL charts threads this year!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Spain ... 5 of the top 7 selling games are Switch titles. Italy 5 out of the top 10 are Switch titles.

Nintendo is definitely start to flex their muscle in Europe.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
July 2018 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW OCTOPATH TRAVELER (NINTENDO)
02 (02) PS4 FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (04) NSW SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
04 (08) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (01) NSW MARIO TENNIS ACES (NINTENDO)
06 (06) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
07 (NE) NSW CAPTAIN TOAD: TREASURE TRACKER (NINTENDO)
08 (05) NSW CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (RE) NSW MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)
10 (10) NSW SPLATOON 2 (NINTENDO)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:

It is really the Summer of the Switch.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:

Holy Shit. Switch domination in Spain. I don't remember a Top 10 with only 2 PS games.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
elumVdB.png

Spain:

Oh my... Amazing! And Odissey still in number 3, yay Spain!!! Zelda keeps doing a bit worse here compared to other markets, I wonder why.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my... Amazing! And Odissey still in number 3, yay Spain!!! Zelda keeps doing a bit worse here compared to other markets, I wonder why.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild seems to be performing worse than in other big European markets like UK, Germany or France comparatively, but Splatoon 2 is doing better. It seems to be the case for Italy too.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I guess we can dismiss the "E3 was so bad it turned people off the Switch" nonsense, if anything it had the opposite effect.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Probably during summer numbers are lower, but the handheld component (pretty strong in EU at least during thia season) is rrally paying off for Switch

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I would say E3 shows have 0 positive or negative effect on actual sales.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda's #10 on the Switch chart.

but yeah, outside of japan it's weird seeing Zelda below splatoon.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes exactly, people are not buying their consoles for games that will release in a year or more but for games that already released and are releasing now.
That's why this E3 did have a positive effect imo: because Fortnite released that day. As you say, I think hardware boosts are predicated on what is announced for the very near future (like 1 month out max).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nintendo is getting stronger in Europe it looks like. Even in the UK, Mario Kart 8D is the no.1 selling game (individual format) and Mario Odyssey is a very healthy no.4. Those are strong legs for what is supposed to be a weaker market. When Nintendo is going good in the UK, basically you know they are doing well.

France is just pure Nintendomination. Germany looks decent for Nintendo also.

Switch really turned things around for Nintendo, especially in UK. During Wii U era, Nintendo games didn't have legs at all outside perhaps Mario Kart.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spain with only 2 Playstation titles is nuts, doesn't include Digital but still crazy Nintendo performance Across Europe.

Switch is building momentum for insane years ahead in terms of sales, 20M this FY means ~25M next.

Might reach Ps4 numbers LT when all it's said and done, well beyond 100M units.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
About Nintendo's "domination" in Europe.

Their longsellers are HUGE titles that sell well during years, but July/August are great months for portable devices in general. Don't think it is the best period to make a comparison with their opponents.

Don't know if this was posted here on Era (approx. 1 week old):

far-cry-5-fifa-18-et-god-of-war-ont-domine-toute-l-europe-au-premier-trimestre-2018-66b33386__w830.jpg

EU was and still is Sony's n1 market.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:

One year ago, the Spain chart looked quite different. It seems that Sony are slowly losing their dominance. Italy shows a similiar picture, even though the trend isn't as apparent there.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
About Nintendo's "domination" in Europe.

Their longsellers are HUGE titles that sell well during years, but July/August are great months for portable devices in general. Don't think it is the best period to make a comparison with their opponents.

Don't know if this was posted here on Era (approx. 1 week old):

EU was and still is Sony's n1 market.

People are commenting on the current weeks charts and momentum...no one is saying that Sony is dead or the Switch is killing the PS4.
The PS4 has been out for 5 years and is the established leader of this generation , i dont think that info needs to be added every time you comment on MS or Nintendo performing well.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
One year ago, the Spain chart looked quite different. It seems that Sony are slowly losing their dominance. Italy shows a similiar picture, even though the trend isn't as apparent there.
Lol Except that chart doesn't really tell you which console is dominating the market, it's 1week only.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Except that chart doesn't really tell you which console is dominating the market, it's 1week only.
Dominating as in present...yeah thats the Switch right now. Everything else would be crazy considering PS4/XBO has been on the market for 5 years.

Prior to Switch those charts were 90% PS4 with little 3DS here and there. So yeah...that kind of dominance is over.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dominating as in present...yeah thats the Switch right now. Everything else would be crazy considering PS4/XBO has been on the market for 5 years.
That's a pointless thing to point out, when you say X console is dominating a specific country then surely you're talking about yearly performance and not just a single week, hell you can't even say which console is selling the most from the charts.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pointless thing to point out, when you say X console is dominating a specific country then surely you're talking about yearly performance and not just a single week, hell you can't even say which console is selling the most from the charts.
This is a weekly thread and 90% of the posts here are about the weekly performance of software/hardware....we rarely get numbers or shipements and those tend to get their own threads.

8/10 titles on those Spain charts are on Switch and we cant call that dominance for that period...really ?
If you think he is wrong then feel free to post the July 2017 charts.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is a weekly thread and 90% of the posts here are about the weekly performance of software/hardware....we rarely get numbers or shipements and those tend to get their own threads.

8/10 titles on those Spain charts are on Switch and we cant call that dominance for that period...really ?
If you think he is wrong then feel free to post the July 2017 charts.
Read the post I was replying to which you are defending, "losing dominance" that's not something that's based on 1 week, and again we don't have hardware numbers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Read the post I was replying to which you are defending, "losing dominance" that's not something that's based on 1 week, and again we don't have hardware numbers.
So you think the PS4 has the same software/hardware marketshare now compared to the period prior to the Switch release in Spain, France, Germany and co. ?
Switch would have to be a mayor flop for them to have keep the same share...its pretty much impossible Hell even MS is doing somewhat better than they were 12-18 months ago.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you think the PS4 has the same software/hardware marketshare now compared to the period prior to the Switch release in Spain, France, Germany and co. ?
Switch would have to be a mayor flop for them to have keep the same share...its pretty much impossible Hell even MS is doing somewhat better than they were 12-18 months ago.
How does that equal "losing dominance" exactly? If it was 85/15 before Switch then it could be 60/15/25 now, and again not to mention that poster talking about this chart only and without hardware numbers, I'm also not sure if there is any evidence Xbox is doing better in EU markets (specially the ones which you've listed) this year, US? Yes.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How does that equal "losing dominance" exactly? If it was 85/15 before Switch then it could be 60/15/25 now, and again not to mention that poster talking about this chart only and without hardware numbers, I'm also not sure if there is any evidence Xbox is doing better in EU markets (specially the ones which you've listed) this year, US? Yes.
60% means it lost dominance relatively to what it had before with 85%. Yes it is still dominating, but we are talking relative marketshare movements here

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
60% means it lost dominance relatively to what it had before with 85%. Yes it is still dominating, but we are talking relative marketshare movements here
Marketshare is a different thing, if a new console is introduced then of course the share will drop then but that doesn't necessary mean dominance is lost.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Software wise, when comparing similar releases between Switch and PS4 (and excluding FIFA and CoD), their performance are genrally on par.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
All this dominance stuff is silly if you ask me.
I know right? It's like we're playing RISK or something.

But that's pure nuance and granularity, how can you choose the winner then? Maybe a note on a 10 scale with 9/10 being winner and all the rest looser? s/

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We had 4 years of complete PS4 dominance...that's not the case anymore as the charts show. That's all there is to it.

Even if it's just one week...or one month. The market is changing.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So you have some numbers?

Yep I am basing my comment on the data provided in these threads. We had games like Mario Tennis opening higher than Detroit or Octopath outselling every JPRG on PS4 at the exception of FF.

Problem is multiplat releases dont happen very often just yet so "similar games" is not a perfect measure.

Give me two similar games released on both platform and I might have the data somewhere to compare them.