• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon UK is very indicative representation of the UK games market. It was the first indication we got that the exclusive Days Gone could launch higher than the multiplat Mortal Kombat. I remember that when people mentioned the possibility it would draw the ire of those that thought it impossible on era.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Gears 5 will be the lowest selling retail launch of the series to date. Also, it wont chart in any official pal chart outside of the UK. And I stress that that's not a knock on the game. More so a combination of momentum issues, game pass, and a lack of/any marketing for the game in the EU.

elumVdB.png

Man of Medan: PS4 (3700), X1 (500)
Control: PS4 (1100), X1 (300)

That's insane. Spain is now looking like Greece in terms of the split of new releases?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And probably the best Gears of War launch by number of players, if Microsoft makes a PR about it.

A £50 game going for £1 on GP might be an attractive offer to some but until Microsoft gives monthly/yearly paying sub count, "players" is a meaningless metric in my humble opinion. Especially when you can get the service for free or with certain sweet treats like Rice Krispies.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That split. I'm pretty sure 2K is a fully featured day and date release on all three platforms too. Maybe FIFA split is not just because it doesn't have all the modes.

Or it's because it was marketed on other platforms and Switch owners are smarter and don't buy broken, MTX-ridden trash :-).

There's been other day/date releases that have had a much better split for Switch.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IIRC DQ Builders 2 split was totally the other way around.
For Wolf Youngblood I don't remember if split was shared.

That's kind of my point console demographics matter.

In Spain the split for Wolf was even bigger than the 2k split this week in the UK.

steviejd1 Switch owners are smarter than PS4/X1 owners? Ok, how is this any better than calling Nintendo fans kiddie?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
That split. I'm pretty sure 2K is a fully featured day and date release on all three platforms too. Maybe FIFA split is not just because it doesn't have all the modes.

Fifa would do better if it had a fully featured version imo. But the overall performance of it was sub par all things considered imo. Fifa is so big I dunno why this version seemingly always does so mediocre.

2k seems to be happy with how NBA 2K is doing on the Switch so I have to assume in NA where the market is much bigger for basketball its doing goodish numbers.

Sports games are never going to be massive on Nintendo systems unless they suddenly get their online and visuals closer to the competition.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Fifa would do better if it had a fully featured version imo. But the overall performance of it was sub par all things considered imo. Fifa is so big I dunno why this version seemingly always does so mediocre.

2k seems to be happy with how NBA 2K is doing on the Switch so I have to assume in NA where the market is much bigger for basketball its doing goodish numbers.

Sports games are never going to be massive on Nintendo systems unless they suddenly get their online and visuals closer to the competition.
We know that splits in Spain and France, whilr still lobsided towards the PS4, are much better for Switch there. It seems more like an issue of the UK audience not being interested in sports games. If the US is more in line with Spain than UK, then NBA should get a decent share considering sales are focused on the US for NBA.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not, it's a nonsense comment.

The right conclusion in my eyes is that Switch owners in the UK seem uninterested in sports games.

The comment was supposed to be a bit of a joke seeing as the person I was replying to has an obvious vendetta against the Switch/Nintendo.

But at the same time why do you think that EA doesn't want to put their games on the Switch? Some of it has to do with Switch owners not purchasing much in the way of MTX.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
A £50 game going for £1 on GP might be an attractive offer to some but until Microsoft gives monthly/yearly paying sub count, "players" is a meaningless metric in my humble opinion. Especially when you can get the service for free or with certain sweet treats like Rice Krispies.
"Players" is most important part if the game is mainly for mp, and Gears 5 is.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Another number shared in the vandal podcast, so, related to sales in Spain.
When X1 S All-Digital launched in spring, all retailers but one decided not to distribute that model. Then, 32 consoles, yes, 32, were sold in its first week.
I dont know if this happened in other european countries or territories.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
When X1 S All-Digital launched in spring, all retailers but one decided not to distribute that model. Then, 32 consoles, yes, 32, were sold in its first week.
Which week was this? That's terrible whatever the case.

For players definitely. For Management it's ultimate about the £/$ and the number of zeros.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No doubt.

We've seen, just recently, what happens when a game has zero support for it's multiplayer. But I'm talking about retail in Europe. I don't think Gears 5 will register outside of the UK and be significantly down in the UK at launch. And I stress it's not a knock on the game. I've played, beat it and spent time in the horde mode.

My point is about the resonance of the game in Europe and the upcoming PR specifically.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

I see Spain is copying the Japanese market.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Which week was this? That's terrible whatever the case.
Week 19.
In total 800 X1 consoles were sold that week. (Plus 6k PS4s and 12k Switchs). It was First Communion week.
Thing is, if Sony and Nintendo do not push streaming services and digital subscriptions, retailers will favor these two.
I understood retailers margins (revenues too?) selling consoles < new games < used games.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Can someone add those charts to the OP ?

UK, monthly chart:
  1. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
  2. Super Mario Maker 2
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. FIFA 19
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  7. Minecraft (Nintenndo Switch)
  8. Red Read Redemption 2
  9. F1 2019
  10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  11. Madden NFL 20
PlayStation Store (EU):
  1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Minecraft
  3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  4. FIFA 19
  5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2
  7. The Forest
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  10. The Crew 2
  11. Black Desert
  12. No Man's Sky
  13. Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition
  14. ARK: Survival Evolved
  15. Need for Speed Payback
  16. Rocket League
  17. Remnant: from the Ashes
  18. F1 2019
  19. EA Sports UFC 3
  20. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Nintendo eShop (EU):
  1. Minecraft
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Urban Trial Playground
  4. Astral Chain
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution
  6. Doom (1993)
  7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. Super Mario Maker 2
  9. Cuphead
  10. 911 Operator
  11. Stardew Valley
  12. Overcooked! 2
  13. Serial Cleaner
  14. Doom 3
  15. Forager
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...tation-stores-most-downloaded-game-in-august/

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Week 19.
In total 800 X1 consoles were sold that week. (Plus 6k PS4s and 12k Switchs). It was First Communion week.
Thing is, if Sony and Nintendo do not push streaming services and digital subscriptions, retailers will favor these two.
I understood retailers margins (revenues too?) selling consoles < new games < used games.
Cheers for information. The sku only accounted for 4.5% of Xbox sold that week. Yep I don't see the logic of vendors pushing a SKU which reduces the revenue they can generate from it.

OP
OP
Mpl90

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Since people were discussing about sport games on Switch: since this isn't the first time it happens, the logical conclusion is that the Switch audience doesn't care for sport games nearly as much as the other consoles' userbases...especially at launch. Both FIFA 18 and FIFA 19 already enjoyed unexpectedly long-term legs, and this is potentially a consequence of the audience difference: different audience results in different purchasing pace. Definitely the UK shows an even stronger case of such audience difference, but the overall lower sales, with still great post-launch sales (relative to the first week) are a common theme in every major market.

The reasons behind this audience difference? Probably the "core" sport audience (the one that drives lots and lots of purchases of FIFA and such at launch) is way more interested in full features, high-end graphics and (probably, above all) playing with their own group of friends and in the environment they're already engaged in (i.e. FIFA Ultimate Team, NBA 2K's GaaS's own elements, etc.) than the possibility to play the game everywhere, while the more "casual" sport audience may be interested in the perspective of a way to play the game everywhere, but they're usually later buyers.

Nintendo systems' deficiency with the "serious" sport audience is kind of an outlier for the Switch, looking at other kinds of games that have been / are capable of selling at good levels when compared with the other systems, if not better, but not unique to the Switch itself. The good thing is that the Switch seems more similar to the Wii than to the DS / 3DS, which were way, way, waaaaay worse environments for sport titles.

Honestly, I wonder if cross-play could help sales of Switch versions of sport games, since there would be a way bigger userbase to start from / new players can join.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
elumVdB.png

Spain:
August 2019 - Individual Formats Retail (Units)

01 (NE) NSW ASTRAL CHAIN (NINTENDO)
02 (02) NSW FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (NINTENDO)
03 (08) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (05) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
05 (01) NSW SUPER MARIO MAKER 2 (NINTENDO)
06 (RE) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
07 (03) PS4 CRASH TEAM RACING: NITRO-FUELED (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (07) NSW SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)
09 (RE) NSW SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
10 (RE) PS4 RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (TAKE 2)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

In France, only Fnac launch the model, all other retailer refused to sell it...

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't released in the charting period perhaps? we have to wait for the next month's chart.
Well, the text below it only says that it covers games sold in "that month", but yeah, maybe they're doing it on a weekly basis just like the US charts. I honestly have no idea, though.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
it wasn't released in the charting period perhaps? we have to wait for the next month's chart.
Well, the text below it only says that it covers games sold in "that month", but yeah, maybe they're doing it on a weekly basis just like the US charts. I honestly have no idea, though.
Man of Medan is on that list and released on the 30th, Control was on the 27th and Astral Chain released on the 30th as well. So yeah, both Control and Astral Chain simply didn't make the top 20.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Man of Medan is on that list and released on the 30th, Control was on the 27th and Astral Chain released on the 30th as well. So yeah, both Control and Astral Chain simply didn't make the top 20.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you and Zedark. Astral Chain and Control have a very poor start in Germany.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Weird for Germany and Astral Chain. Bought mine at Saturn, when I picked it up there where none left on shelves. Tried to look it up Online and i can't even find it on Saturn trough search. Clicked on my Order and it brings me to the game page but it says "not available anymore" . I can find it on Media Market but it's sold out, though maybe 1/3 of the stores have copies when I choose in-store pickup. Amazon.de has it in stock though. Maybe super small shipments?