• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Clearly PS4 is outselling Xbox One in the UK and this is represented in the charts, but pointing to number of exclusives in the top 40 is a bit silly. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have many exclusives lighting up the charts right now. Microsoft should be more worried about the split of multiplatform sales.

Not necessarily, because I believe they had more (console) exclusives and a greater/stronger hold over platform splits this time last year than they do so today.

Perhaps I phrased it out of sorts, but I believe you got the wrong end of the stick with regards to how - and why - I mentioned Forza Horizon 3 and PUGB in the first place.

I actually edited my original post (before you posted) BTW! I was mostly looking at the overall chart as well as the rather big platform split for the top two games. Forza Motorsport 7 abruptly disappearing out of the top forty altogether is a bit of a surprise to me too.

I will say that we are definitely on equal footing with your last sentence though, that Microsoft should be more wary about the split of their multi-format game sales going forward.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think that's probably why the game sold better on XB1 vs something like the DBZF split. MHW had the whole Sony marketing angle which increased awareness for Xbox owners as well, where as DBZF marketing was much more muted, resulting in a more typical anime/Japan ratio.
Right, but this split is even significantly higher than for FFXV, the most aware, I thought, the XB audience would get for a Japanese title:
videogamer.com said:
Almost four out of every five physical copies of Final Fantasy XV sold in the UK last week were on PlayStation 4, according to figures revealed by GFK Chart-Track.

79% of Final Fantasy XV's physical first week sales were on PS4, the sales-tracking firm says, with Xbox One accounting for just 21%.
Source: https://www.videogamer.com/news/79-of-uk-final-fantasy-xv-sales-were-on-ps4-21-xbox-one

It's a peculiarly high split for a Japanese title, even when the title is very high-profile.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on how DBZ did compared to previous Xenoverse releases? Just trying to figure out if it did poorly or if NHW did incredibly well.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but this split is even significantly higher than for FFXV, the most aware, I thought, the XB audience would get for a Japanese title:

Source: https://www.videogamer.com/news/79-of-uk-final-fantasy-xv-sales-were-on-ps4-21-xbox-one

It's a peculiarly high split for a Japanese title, even when the title is very high-profile.
There is a huge difference between MHW and FFXV: one is single player while the other have a huge online component (and we know it's a key factor for xbox games) so this isn't a 1:1 comparison.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Must have been cheaper somewhere vs the ps4 counterpart for the titles to switch place. And looking at what was said before regarding numbers, MHW seems to have sold a good bit more than FigtherZ in total.

There's something to it.
Could just indicate more PS4 DBFZ buyers going for special editions and such, and more MHW XBO sales being standard versions, rather than indicating any discounts already.
Thanks, hadn't considered that.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Expected split of MHW. Congrats to CAPCOM on this title, it truly is a great game.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
If DBZ sell about the same of the previous entry.

edit, may have made confusion with UK and Japan sales. When there is confirmation of the UK first week sales, the number of MHW sales can be guessed. MHW > Xenoverse first week * 0,28
28% MHW (xbox) > 70 K
MHW > 250K

Last edited:

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
That is was too high.

It's not just Capcom that can celebrate this week, as Bandai Namco's long-running 'Dragon Ball' franchise also makes a return to the charts and also sets a new record in terms of chart position, debuting at No2 with 'Dragon Ball Fighterz' for PS4/Xbox One – 2015's 'Dragon Ball Xenoverse' sold around the same units on PS4/Xbox One and previously held the best chart debut at No3 back in week 9, 2015.

I Think i read somewere that the Dragon Ball xenoverver sold 70 K first week.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Capcom that can celebrate this week, as Bandai Namco's long-running 'Dragon Ball' franchise also makes a return to the charts and also sets a new record in terms of chart position, debuting at No2 with 'Dragon Ball Fighterz' for PS4/Xbox One – 2015's 'Dragon Ball Xenoverse' sold around the same units on PS4/Xbox One and previously held the best chart debut at No3 back in week 9, 2015.

Xenoverse was on PS3 and X360.

Did you account?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville

I mean that would be Capcom's biggest opening ever? They would have said something if it was.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
UK chart:
- Top 2 games are Japanese games
- 2 more Japanese games in the top 10
- Those 2 are Nintendo games

I never expected to see this in a UK charts. It's been mostly western games that dominate, and Nintendo is very weak in this area.

Deserved top 2 spots for MHW and DFZ.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Bought both MHW and The Inpatient, We really do need more games for PSVR, Thirst is real! Although The inpatient isn't long, I don't mind being in Skyrim still.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I'be read that for Japan, but not for UK.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If anyone wants a reference, it's nearly 4x higher than MH4 Ultimate opening.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
platformslouuk.png

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I was mostly remarking on how Nintendo and Sony have more overall presence than the Xbox One, especially now that we now know the splits for the top two games, which makes it even less inspiring for the Xbox One this week.

And I am an Xbox fan by the way. I say it how it is; software wise, the Xbox One is losing its lustre in the UK compared to this time last year.
XB1 never had as strong a presence as the 360, even at launch, but the last 18 months it seems to have lost a good 5%-10% market share. The exclusives issue is obviously a factor, but when you see Forza 7 dropping out of the top 40, and only bundled titles charting, there's more to it.

The Switch seems to be having a major impact on the PS4/XB1 market. Seems to be picking up the secondary console/software sales in homes with multiple systems. I guess that makes sense when you consider how different their offerings are. I think that's also why PSVR software seems to be delivering. There's a market out there for something different.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
to be honest, i put zero stock into gfk these days due to lack of digital. So the numbers here never show the full picture.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I would have expected something in the 50-60K territory. Very good sales for Monster Hunter. Finally Capcom, you did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.