• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have an estimate of Zelda and Mario Kart UK sales ?
We have the French numbers (280k Zelda, 260k MK) and we know that they are both over 200k in Germany. It'll give us a good idea of how the UK Switch Market compares to the others.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Yes, almost perfectly:

CwbyYZ9WgAE5KxB.jpg
Damn!

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since this is a sales thread (retail) we can say that the only Xbox One exclusives of this year have been Halo Wars 2 and Forza Motorsport 7 and non of them had a chance to match Forza Horizon 3 second year even if they hadn't underperformed.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy performance has been a great surprise though.

Crackdown 3 was scheduled to release in 2017 and got a last minute delay to 2018.
So without the stellar legs of Forza Horizon 3 that game could / should have taken the titel of best selling Xbox One exclusive.
The performance of Forza Horizon 3 so late after release is a surprise for me, too. And the heavy bundling between March and September does not take that achievement away.
And with so many games underperforming we should really celebrate the few hits

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking, when they release Top 50 best selling games in UK for 2017., on the list should be 4 PS4 exclusives: The Lost Legacy, Crash, Gran Turismo Sport and Horizon. Last year there were 3: Uncharted 4, Ratchet and No Man's Sky.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have collected the first week UK sales for some racing franchises.

F1 2015 - 45,000
F1 2016 - 30,000
F1 2017 - 29,000

Forza Motorsport 3 - 80,000
Forza Motorsport 4 - 106,000
Forza Motorsport 5 -
Forza Motorsport 6 - 35,000
Forza Motorsport 7 - 27,000

Forza Horizon -
Forza Horizon 2 - 61,000
Forza Horizon 3 - 68,000

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 86,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 69,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000
Gran Turismo Sport - 74,000

Project CARS - 55,000
Project CARS 2 - 14,000

Please note that these figures aren't up-weighted to cover the portion of market GfK Chart-Track doesn't track, so the difference is bigger for some titles. For example, if we extrapolate Gran Turismo 3 for total market then it sold 92,000 units vs 78,000 for Gran Turismo Sport.

Thanks for the Wall of Sales

Definitely GTS is much below my expectation, but i will be interested in knowing the digital sales. How much closer they have pushed GTS to GT5P

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see Mario numbers tomorrow. Anecdotally the postman didn't bring my copy so had to go to Game and get another copy, when I called they said they had loads and by the time I got there they had 2 copies left.

I asked the girl if there was a mix of what people were buying she just said "look behind me, we have tons of Assassins Creed and Wolfenstein left but we got more Mario than both and we're down to the last 2."

If this is UK which isn't Nintendo country....oh boy

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ACO > SMO > WNC is my guess, with the latter underperforming but not to the same degree as previous Bethesda games this year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Interested to see Mario numbers tomorrow. Anecdotally the postman didn't bring my copy so had to go to Game and get another copy, when I called they said they had loads and by the time I got there they had 2 copies left.

I asked the girl if there was a mix of what people were buying she just said "look behind me, we have tons of Assassins Creed and Wolfenstein left but we got more Mario than both and we're down to the last 2."

Read a couple of anecdotes like this. Really curious to see how SMO ranks tomorrow, I think it might do astronomical numbers tbh. We'll see.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Both Wii and DS did great in the UK. The UK doesnt shy away from Nintendo products.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Both Wii and DS did great in the UK. The UK doesnt shy away from Nintendo products.

Yes, Wii and DS were both incredibly huge in UK, but it seems that, in the current historical period, Nintendo platforms tend to see lower performances in UK relative to other countries. It might be due to a cultural factor (Nintendo not being that strong back in the NES / SNES era), a relative stronger presence of both Sony and MS, especially for the more dedicated gaming demographic, the retail presence being far from the Wii / DS days...I can't pinpoint the exact reason why this keeps on happening, even if Switch is the first Nintendo platform in years that looks in a decently healthy shape.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I may be wrong but I am under the impression that the UK market is firstly a price-sensitive one. The Wii and the DS were both cheaper than their competitors. Moreover, the 20-year nostalgia is weaker in UK, Nintendo's domination was more than challenged there during the SNES era. That and the high price of the Switch and its ecosystem ( console price games, accesories ...) explain why it is not doing as good as everywhere else.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

It's not wrong, though, to say that historically UK is not prone to Nintendo products. I mean, that's perfectly reasonable: there are some countries that have more attachment to one brand or the other. Look at France with Nintendo or UK with Microsoft (versus other European countries). The reasons are plenty and are worth discussing.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Wii and DS were both incredibly huge in UK, but it seems that, in the current historical period, Nintendo platforms tend to see lower performances in UK relative to other countries. It might be due to a cultural factor (Nintendo not being that strong back in the NES / SNES era), a relative stronger presence of both Sony and MS, especially for the more dedicated gaming demographic, the retail presence being far from the Wii / DS days...I can't pinpoint the exact reason why this keeps on happening, even if Switch is the first Nintendo platform in years that looks in a decently healthy shape.
I may be wrong but I am under the impression that the UK market is firstly a price-sensitive one. The Wii and the DS were both cheaper than their competitors. Moreover, the 20-year nostalgia is weaker in UK, Nintendo's domination was more than challenged there during the SNES era. That and the high price of the Switch and its ecosystem ( console price games, accesories ...) explain why it is not doing as good as everywhere else.
It's not wrong, though, to say that historically UK is not prone to Nintendo products. I mean, that's perfectly reasonable: there are some countries that have more attachment to one brand or the other. Look at France with Nintendo or UK with Microsoft (versus other European countries). The reasons are plenty and are worth discussing.
Thats true, but i got the notion from that post that Nintendo games, or Mario games, usually doesnt sell very well in the UK, and if Super Mario Odyssey sells well there, it would sell like crazy in other countries. Several of Nintendo games and Mario games have sold great in the UK, so i dont think Super Mario Odyssey being a success in the UK is something out of the ordinary. Its not like the UK shies away from Nintendo products because its Nintendo. It comes down to how interesting the products are.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Thats true, but i got the notion from that post that Nintendo games, or Mario games, usually doesnt sell very well in the UK, and if Super Mario Odyssey sells well there, it would sell like crazy in other countries. Several of Nintendo games and Mario games have sold great in the UK, so i dont think Super Mario Odyssey being a success in the UK is something out of the ordinary. Its not like the UK shies away from Nintendo products because its Nintendo. It comes down to how interesting the products are.

It's everything in relative terms. Mario games can sell well in UK but still not enough to outsell other popular IPs during first weeks. Anyway, no Mario game debuted above 100k in UK so this is already pretty telling.

Moonstone

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
How many instance of FIFA 18 are there on the Germany chart?
4 with last gen.

PS4
1. ( 1 ) FIFA 18 (EA)
2. (NEU) Gran Turismo Standard + Controller (Sony)
3. (NEU) Gran Turismo Standard (Sony)
4. (NEU) Gran Turismo Special Edition (Sony)
5. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe (Ubisoft)
8. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)
10.(NEU) Gran Turismo Collector's Edition (Sony)

Xbox One
1. ( 1 ) FIFA 18 (EA)
2. ( - ) Forza Motorsport 7 (Microsoft)
4. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)

Switch
1. ( 1 ) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
2. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)
3. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors Limited Edition (Nintendo)

3DS
1. (NEU) Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga + Bowsers Schergen (Nintendo)
2. ( - ) Miitopia (Nintendo) ...
7. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)

PC
1. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)
3. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Standard (Ubisoft)
6. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Collectors Edition (Ubisoft)
7. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Gold Edition (Ubisoft)

1. ( 1 ) Fifa 18 (EA)

PS3
1. ( 1 ) Fifa 18 (EA)

Wii
1. ( 2 ) Mario Kart Wii Selects (Nintendo)
2. ( 1 ) Mario Party 9 Selects (Nintendo)
9. ( - ) Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

(c'n p via gamfront.de -just added last gen + PC)

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's everything in relative terms. Mario games can sell well in UK but still not enough to outsell other popular IPs during first weeks. Anyway, no Mario game debuted above 100k in UK so this is already pretty telling.
Is it expected that Super Mario Odyssey will start outselling other popular IPs (which are those by the way?) during the first week though? It wont surprise me if SMO sells more than Assassins Creed: Origins, at least in the first week, but i'd argue that Mario is a bigger IP overall. The store where i work also got more copies of SMO than we did of AC: Origins (got maybe 10 copies of SMO, and about 4 copies of AC). I'm not trying to downplay anything, i'm just saying that i expect SMO to do very well in the UK because of the quality of the game, and that Mario is a big IP even in the UK.

How much did the other Mario games sell in the first week?

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Is it expected that Super Mario Odyssey will start outselling other popular IPs (which are those by the way?) during the first week though? It wont surprise me if SMO sells more than Assassins Creed: Origins, at least in the first week, but i'd argue that Mario is a bigger IP overall. The store where i work also got more copies of SMO than we did of AC: Origins (got maybe 10 copies of SMO, and about 4 copies of AC). I'm not trying to downplay anything, i'm just saying that i expect SMO to do very well in the UK because of the quality of the game, and that Mario is a big IP even in the UK.

How much did the other Mario games sell in the first week?

AC has always debuted at >100k. Mario games always below (you can find data in this very thread). Streams might well cross but that's because Odyssey has been really anticipated, Switch is selling well and apparently AC doesn't have much hype behind it. It's not generally expected for a Mario platform to debut higher than an AC entry.

This doesn't change the fact that UK has historically been a weak territory for Nintendo with respect other European countries or other territories.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
AC has always debuted at >100k. Mario games always below (you can find data in this very thread). Streams might well cross but that's because Odyssey has been really anticipated, Switch is selling well and apparently AC doesn't have much hype behind it. It's not generally expected for a Mario platform to debut higher than an AC entry.
I agree to that, i'm just saying that since the thing that you mention regarding SMO and AC: Origins, i wont be surprised if SMO takes the top position. Not making any hard predictions, but it wouldnt exactly surprise me one way or the other due to the circumstances as you mentioned.

Where do i find the data? Maybe i overlooked it, but i only found some mention about Super Mario Galaxy. How much did the other Mario games open at?

This doesn't change the fact that UK has historically been a weak territory for Nintendo with respect other European countries or other territories.
When it comes to Nintendo up towards Gamecube, i also have that impression. When it comes to Nintendo past Gamecube however, i dont have that impression. How much weaker was the systems after Gamecube in the UK compared to other european countries and other territories? Which factors do you consider regarding this? Any sales data?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I agree to that, i'm just saying that since the thing that you mention regarding SMO and AC: Origins, i wont be surprised if SMO takes the top position. Not making any hard predictions, but it wouldnt exactly surprise me one way or the other due to the circumstances as you mentioned.

It would be surprising nonetheless given the debut history of the two franchises. The fact that Odyssey can have the best debut for a Mario game in UK is surprising per se, isn't it? Especially considering Switch is a new hardware. Of course, we have anecdotal evidences that tell us that it might be possible... But possible is not mutual exclusive with expected or surprising. The fact that we can expect this given such recent evidences doesn't make the thing less unexpected in the grand scheme of things, just less unexpected or surprising.

Where do i find the data? Maybe i overlooked it, but i only found some mention about Super Mario Galaxy. How much did the other Mario games open at?

[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 207,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 215,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 332,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW (95%)

As for Mario, Bruno MB had some data. I don't remember where he posted them but they all had Mario debut week below 100k.

When it comes to Nintendo up towards Gamecube, i also have that impression. When it comes to Nintendo past Gamecube however, i dont have that impression. How much weaker was the systems after Gamecube in the UK compared to other european countries and other territories? Which factors do you consider regarding this? Any sales data?

That's why I said historically. You can see from charts already; just compare France and Germany with UK and you can see that UK doesn't have many Nintendo games charting in the top positions unlike France and Germany. Hardware sales are also telling. Just look at Wii U sold in UK versus other European countries such as France and Germany (2015 data but situation hasn't changed much over the years).

Regional differences in terms of consumers preferences and market trends exist. DS and Wii U were huge in UK but they were more outliers than how they were in other countries. Also in such cases, you can see the differences across countries. For example, both DS and PS2 were huge in UK, but the gap between the two was much smaller in UK with respect to France and US.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
It would be surprising nonetheless given the debut history of the two franchises. The fact that Odyssey can have the best debut for a Mario game in UK is surprising per se, isn't it? Especially considering Switch is a new hardware. Of course, we have anecdotal evidences that tell us that it might be possible... But possible is not mutual exclusive with expected or surprising. The fact that we can expect this given such recent evidences doesn't make the thing less unexpected in the grand scheme of things, just less unexpected or surprising.

As for Mario, Bruno MB had some data. I don't remember where he posted them but they all had Mario debut week below 100k.

That's why I said historically. You can see from charts already; just compare France and Germany with UK and you can see that UK doesn't have many Nintendo games charting in the top positions unlike France and Germany. Hardware sales are also telling. Just look at Wii U sold in UK versus other European countries such as France and Germany (2015 data but situation hasn't changed much over the years).

Regional differences in terms of consumers preferences and market trends exist. DS and Wii U were huge in UK but they were more outliers than how they were in other countries. Also in such cases, you can see the differences across countries. For example, both DS and PS2 were huge in UK, but the gap between the two was much smaller in UK with respect to France and US.
I expect Origins to open higher than AC IV, Unity and Syndicate but lower than 200k. It does have a lot of hype behind it after one year gap.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since i expect that there is a possibily for it to happen, i cant really say that i'm surprised in that regards. Anecdotal, but it doesnt feel that theres that much hype around AC: Origins, and the serie has been declining. Syndicate was even set in the UK (that doesnt automatically mean that its going to be more popular though, but still). Both IPs are big and have things going for them.

But i get what you're saying. Some years ago, or before we had any idea how the Switch was going to perform, and based on the data we had then, a situation like this was probably not expected to be a reality.

EDIT: Or wait, how much has the Switch sold so far in the UK? Hardware wise that is.

Oh, i thought you ment regarding sales for Mario since you wrote the parenthesis in the sentence were only Mario was mentioned. I already saw the data posted for Assassins Creed, but thanks for mentioning the data regardless =)

I know that you said historically, but is there any relevance talking about 15+ year old systems when talking about today's situation though? I dont meed to sound rude at all, i'm just curious if such old system play much role in how today's market is. Historically, Nintendo have also been doing great in the UK with both the DS and the Wii, that is also a fact. Its also true that the WiiU flopped big time in the UK, also in comparsion to France and Germany.

Yeah, the gap regarding PS2 vs DS was indeed smaller in the UK compared to France and US, but what about Germany? There it was even smaller. Does that mean that historically, the Nintendo was stronger in the UK than in Germany?

Its also true that France and Germany might have stronger sales of Nintendo products, thats not my arguement just to have pointed that out. But this doesnt mean that the UK automatically is weak when it comes to Nintendo just because other markeds might be stronger (weak and strong is all relative depending on how you compare it, but still). The UK isnt per default a weak market in the regards that Nintedo systems and games will sell poorly there, or Nintendo is having a hard time doing business in the UK. Thats basically what i'm trying to say. If they put out good and interesting systems, UK will also support those systems, as we've seen before. I'm pretty sure that the Switch has been doing great so far over there.

Last edited:

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for the very first mainline Gran Turismo in the UK for the PS4 that's really rough. It harkens to fundamental waning in the demand for the Gran Turismo series, because I guarantee you that digital shares aren't so high to mitigate the steep decline from GT5.

But also GTS sold better than GT3 which was first mainline GT on PS2.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
4 with last gen.

PS4
1. ( 1 ) FIFA 18 (EA)
2. (NEU) Gran Turismo Standard + Controller (Sony)
3. (NEU) Gran Turismo Standard (Sony)
4. (NEU) Gran Turismo Special Edition (Sony)
8. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)
10.(NEU) Gran Turismo Collector's Edition (Sony)

Xbox One
1. ( 1 ) FIFA 18 (EA)
2. ( - ) Forza Motorsport 7 (Microsoft)
4. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)

Switch
1. ( 1 ) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
2. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)
3. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors Limited Edition (Nintendo)

3DS
1. (NEU) Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga + Bowsers Schergen (Nintendo)
2. ( - ) Miitopia (Nintendo) ...
7. (NEU) Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)

PC
1. (NEU) Elex (Piranha Bytes)
3. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Standard (Ubisoft)
6. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Collectors Edition (Ubisoft)
7. (NEU) South Park: Die rektakuläre Zerreißprobe Gold Edition (Ubisoft)

1. ( 1 ) Fifa 18 (EA)

PS3
1. ( 1 ) Fifa 18 (EA)

Wii
1. ( 2 ) Mario Kart Wii Selects (Nintendo)
2. ( 1 ) Mario Party 9 Selects (Nintendo)
9. ( - ) Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

(c'n p via gamfront.de -just added last gen + PC)
Thanks for the info. Look like we need to wait for sales award to know if having multiple SKUs in top 10, collectively made a reasonable sales impact.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The first news are coming in

https://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/10/‘a...ns’-beats-‘super-mario-odyssey’-take-no1-slot

'Assassin's Creed Origins' begins life at No1 just like its predecessor 'Assassin's Creed Syndicate' two years ago. Launch sales units are almost level with Syndicate, but surpass it in terms of revenue, boosted by the more expensive 'Gold' and 'Gods' editions.

At No2 'Super Mario Odyssey' becomes the biggest ever launch for a Switch title, comfortably beating 'Zelda: Breath of the Wild'. Not only that, it is also considerably bigger than any Wii U title's debut, recording Nintendo's 6th biggest launch ever. 'FIFA 18' is relegated to No3, but maintains a healthy lead over the only other new title to enter the All Formats Top 10 this week; 'Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus' debuting at No4.

Last week's No1 'Gran Turismo: Sport' shifts down to No5 in front of a retailer promoted 'Gran Theft Auto at No6 and 'Destiny 2' at No7, sales up with help from the new PC version released on Tuesday. The only other new title to make it in to the Top 40 this week is Ubisoft's 'Just Dance 2018' at No23, with the old Nintendo Wii still its lead format despite it also making an appearance on Nintendo Switch.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FIFA 18 beat Wolfenstein ?! Damn.

Really happy to for Assassins Creed and Mario, very well deserved.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single percentage in the report? :/

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
How much did The New Order sell back at 2014? 4th spot for Wolfenstein is okay considering the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.