• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam should always be taken with a grain of salt, since there are so many complicated demographic problems, and the Steamspy numbers won't stabilize for a few days, but...

2j881.PNG

UY3nH.PNG

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the amount of copies available on stores it seems like preorders were Mario >>>> AC: Origins >> Wolfenstein 2.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Here are the numbers for AC launches in UK, thanks Bruno!

Code:
[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 207,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 215,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 332,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW (95%)

I think AC:O will land somewhere between Unity and Syndicate, my guess is 130k. The question is whether SMO can top that number. I'm going to guess that it will edge out in front of AC, such that Mario > AC > Wolfenstein.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein will flop like the other bethesda games released recently. Both AC and Mario will outsell it easily and by a good margin imho.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that relative to its performance with the last game btw. I think AC will comfortably top the charts.

Well of course. The first one was a surprise hit and got a positive word of mouth. This, combined with the marketing of Wolf2, will ensure that it'll do better than the first one.

No one should be surprised.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
A PAL chart! Now I know this is my new home. Just need to see the old barbell GIF and I'll know all's well with the thread.

Decent start for GT I thought. It was bound to be down from 5 given the WoM it's more online centric and lack of number 7 in its title. That said beating 6 shows it's got potential (assuming normal GT legs over the years) to get to solid LTD numbers. Still on fence with it myself but might get it just because it look's so lovely visually.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AC Syndicate was the lowest debut for the franchise since original and it still sold about 100k units first week. No Mario platformer has opened with over 100k first week sales in UK. If Origins is somewhat up from the Syndicate I don't see how Mario could be number one next week even if it did new record for Mario platformers.

AC could be down/flat physically while being up overall, trends in digital share growing are more pronounced on the twins compared to the Switch.
I also think that releasing on the same day as SMO effected both AC:O and Wolfenstein 2 negatively, since the amount of viral/organic mind-share was limited due to Mario dominating the news in social media. Overall I wouldn't be suprised if SMO opens over 100K physically in the UK.

Oct 25, 2017
Well of course. The first one was a surprise hit and got a positive word of mouth. This, combined with the marketing of Wolf2, will ensure that it'll do better than the first one.

No one should be surprised.
Just going off the performance of the most recent Bethesda games, I don't think its performance is as clear as you think it is. At the very least, it is something worth considering.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
AC could be down/flat physically while being up overall, trends in digital share growing are more pronounced on the twins compared to the Switch.
I also think that releasing on the same day as SMO effected both AC:O and Wolfenstein 2 negatively, since the amount of viral/organic mind-share was limited due to Mario dominating the news in social media. Overall I wouldn't be suprised if SMO opens over 100K physically in the UK.
Your digital adoption point is good and could make difference . I don't know about mindshare as there really isn't anything else than anecdote evidence of that. For example you didn't see much discussion about new Ghost Recon here yet it had huge debut. Galaxy games were also major critical successes with lot of internet hype behind them and released when UK market was at its peak and Wii was selling like crazy yet neither debuted with over 100k in UK. I mean with Mario games being all about legs Odyssey will be great success in UK too (just like pretty much all mainline Mario games) but I am not so sure about first week being that high.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Fire bomba. I know UK isn't strong for Nintendo but I hope odyssey can knock it out of the park.

Well, Fire Emblem has to be one of the weakest markets for FE. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in my social circles ever mention the franchise. In fact I'm pretty sure most people have no idea what FE even is here.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy had a lot of hype too and was released in an even more popular platform than Nintendo Switch and it couldn't get close to 100,000 units. It sold between 63,000 - 79,000 units.

Wolfenstein: The New Order sold 78,000 units.

It will be a very interesting week, unless any of the 3 major releases underperforms they all will likely be in a similar range of sales.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport numbers are disappointing.
There's no reason why the biggest Sony franchise had to limit their audience. They should've been given the budget (if this was the problem) to make a product able to reach both the classic single player audience and the multiplayer audience. 4 years is plenty of time for this.

We've seen Sony first party games do much better this generation. A well rounded Gran Turismo and with a better hype cycle would have rivaled GT5.

Missed oportunity. We'll see if the e-sports gamble pays off in the long run.

Jim Bob

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The UK absolutely love GT. Pretty much anyone I know who owns a PS4 has bought it and majority of those are casual gamers. Always going to be a heavy hitter for Sony.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason why the biggest Sony franchise had to limit their audience. They should've been given the budget (if this was the problem) to make a product able to reach both the classic single player audience and the multiplayer audience. 4 years is plenty of time for this.

We've seen Sony first party games do much better this generation. A well rounded Gran Turismo and with a better hype cycle would have rivaled GT5.

Missed oportunity. We'll see if the e-sports gamble pays of in the long run.
Not sure how they are disappointing it sold better then 2 games in the franchise in the UK on physical alone.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
It sold better than a new IP (Gran Turismo) and the game that everyone says sold terrible numbers for the franchise because the PS4 was already out (Gran Turismo 6).

It sold 3 times worse than the game that is the closest comparison in terms of release (Gran Turismo 5).

The debut is disappointing. Sales in the long run are another topic yet to be known.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure how they are disappointing it sold better then 2 games in the franchise in the UK on physical alone.
Those two games are the very first entry, when GT was new, and the site, which suffered from incredible mismanagement by being exclusive to PS3 when PS4 was out for a month already. Passing those, even if with physical only, shouldn't be the bar for selling fine imo. The numbers indicate it is likely half of GT5, which I wouldn't consider good.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The sales numbers are good. So I don't really know what you mean by "disappointing".
And the days of a racing sim selling over 10 million copies are long gone.

Those two games are the very first entry, when GT was new, and the site, which suffered from incredible mismanagement by being exclusive to PS3 when PS4 was out for a month already. Passing those, even if with physical only, shouldn't be the bar for selling fine imo. The numbers indicate it is likely half of GT5, which I wouldn't consider good.
GT5 was 7 years ago. And again: The days of a racing sim selling over 10 million copies are over.
In the end, my guess is GTS will sell just like GT6. A little bit over 5 million copies. And that's good. Very good, actually.

Oct 25, 2017
GTS numbers are pretty poor, yea. PD is no longer going to get the free reign that they've been given so far by Sony. Not only are they not the top dog in terms of Sony studios, I think they won't even be top 3 by generations end (sales wise). Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games will probably hold those honors. I'm expecting big changes at how PD is managed, given how they mismanaged the GT franchise recently.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I have collected the first week UK sales for some racing franchises.

F1 2015 - 45,000
F1 2016 - 30,000
F1 2017 - 29,000

Forza Motorsport 3 - 80,000
Forza Motorsport 4 - 106,000
Forza Motorsport 5 -
Forza Motorsport 6 - 35,000
Forza Motorsport 7 - 27,000

Forza Horizon -
Forza Horizon 2 - 61,000
Forza Horizon 3 - 68,000

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 86,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 69,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000
Gran Turismo Sport - 74,000

Project CARS - 55,000
Project CARS 2 - 14,000

Please note that these figures aren't up-weighted to cover the portion of market GfK Chart-Track doesn't track, so the difference is bigger for some titles. For example, if we extrapolate Gran Turismo 3 for total market then it sold 92,000 units vs 78,000 for Gran Turismo Sport.

Last edited:

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think Gran Turismo Sport numbers are disappointing for Gran Turismo game, but still it's probably best-selling racing game this gen. It beat Forza 7 by almost 3:1, where Xbox One is strongest (next to US). First week was also 5X bigger than PC2, which is multiplat.

WaqarYounis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have collected the first week UK sales for some racing franchises.

F1 2015 - 45,000
F1 2016 - 30,000
F1 2017 - 29,000

Forza Motorsport 3 - 80,000
Forza Motorsport 4 - 106,000
Forza Motorsport 5 -
Forza Motorsport 6 - 35,000
Forza Motorsport 7 - 27,000

Forza Horizon -
Forza Horizon 2 - 61,000
Forza Horizon 3 - 68,000

Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 86,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 69,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000
Gran Turismo Sport - 74,000

Project CARS - 55,000
Project CARS 2 - 14,000

Please note that these figures aren't up-weighted to cover the portion of market GfK Chart-Track doesn't track, so the difference is bigger for some titles. For example, if we extrapolate Gran Turismo 3 for total market then it sold 92,000 units vs 78,000 for Gran Turismo Sport.

Thank you so much bro. <3

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody should expect 10m from GTS, but it should slightly outsell GT6, so 6-7m is realistic.

This will very likely heavily depend on Sony's bundling strategy. During the Ps3 era GT was always a main bundle game for years.
This generation however basically all consoles sold are bundles and the Third Party AAA games make up a majority of the total units.

I could see this game selling either 1 million less or 1 million more than GT 6. Both wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Your digital adoption point is good and could make difference . I don't know about mindshare as there really isn't anything else than anecdote evidence of that. For example you didn't see much discussion about new Ghost Recon here yet it had huge debut. Galaxy games were also major critical successes with lot of internet hype behind them and released when UK market was at its peak and Wii was selling like crazy yet neither debuted with over 100k in UK. I mean with Mario games being all about legs Odyssey will be great success in UK too (just like pretty much all mainline Mario games) but I am not so sure about first week being that high.

Odyssey is bundled in Europe though right. I don't think the Galaxies were at launch...
AC > SMO > W

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
The latest issue of MCV Magazine shares very interesting sales data stats that allow us to have very accurate estimates for a bunch of 2017 releases. The article compares the performance of Gran Turismo Sports with other games.

I use as I base for these estimations Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which sold around 80,000 units.

Sony First-Party Titles

[Week 26, 2017] CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) ~ 118,000 / NEW

https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/mcv928_27th_october

Hey Bruno, I have kinda lost track of the latest estimate for the last few weeks of N. Sane total sales in the UK according to the weekly drops/increases, it would be nice if you could give us a comprehensive picture of how the game is doing so far in the UK

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
Racing games are on the decline in every region just look at the progression of games like F1 series by Codemasters, Forza or GT (Project Cars 2 debacle is a reaction at the reception the first game got from the public imho). When Codemasters released F1 2010 it sold 2M+ copies worldwide and in the UK alone it sold 540k+. Now the first week sales are 29k!

The main difference isn't the actual games itself or their quality, it's the fact that the overall gaming landscape has changed a lot in the past 5 years. Now you are not competing against single player games that took 8 hours to complete and were thrown into the bin leaving a void to be filled by games that were replayable (racing + sports for the mainstream), now you are competing with almost every single AAA game that has a system designed into the game to make you a daily active user forever. That's actually what GT Sport is trying to do, esports is the secondary effect not the primary goal, the focus is a competitive and fair multiplayer experience that keeps you logging in everyday to complete the daily events. If it suceeds or not it remains to be seen.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

GTS was never going to match GT5. The market has changed and its a new direction. It also doesn't match GT5 or close to that to be a massive success.

GTS numbers are pretty poor, yea. PD is no longer going to get the free reign that they've been given so far by Sony. Not only are they not the top dog in terms of Sony studios, I think they won't even be top 3 by generations end (sales wise). Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games will probably hold those honors. I'm expecting big changes at how PD is managed, given how they mismanaged the GT franchise recently.

PD are only second to Naughty Dog. I'm not, because PD still makes quality games that appeal to millions.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, Bruno made it over, awesome. :)

Looks like I wasn't too far off with my GTS 80K prediction.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
GTS was never going to match GT5. The market has changed and its a new direction. It also doesn't match GT5 or close to that to be a massive success.
That's true, But GTS seems headed towards a performance less than half of GT5. I really don't think that's a good result. It may have strong legs and go decently over half of GT5 in the end, but WoM doesn't seem exceptional, so I don't think that will happen.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Bruno, I have kinda lost track of the latest estimate for the last few weeks of N. Sane total sales in the UK according to the weekly drops/increases, it would be nice if you could give us a comprehensive picture of how the game is doing so far in the UK

The last time its weekly percentage change was shared was 7 weeks ago and life-to-date sales were about 270,000 units. By now it must have easily crossed 300,000 units. For example, last week (week 41) it was one spot ahead of the Xbox One version of The Evil Within 2, which approximately sold 4,500 units.

Here a recent tweet from Cristopher Dring.

By the end of October, Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy will have outsold Horizon: Zero Dawn in the UK to be the No.1 PS4 exclusive of 2017

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/920931537004228608

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GT Sport will bomb in the next few weeks. Sadly, poor reviews and fans' cold reception have killed this game

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last time its weekly percentage change was shared was 7 weeks ago and life-to-date sales were about 270,000 units. By now it must have easily crossed 300,000 units. For example, last week (week 41) it was one spot ahead of the Xbox One version of The Evil Within 2, which approximately sold 4,500 units.

Here a recent tweet from Cristopher Dring.

So Forza Horizon 3 and Cash Bandicoot will be the best selling Xbox One and Ps4 exclusives in 2017 in the UK*.
Who would've believed that in late 2016?

*at retail

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The latest issue of MCV Magazine shares very interesting sales data stats that allow us to have very accurate estimates for a bunch of 2017 releases. The article compares the performance of Gran Turismo Sports with other games.

I use as I base for these estimations Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which sold around 80,000 units.

Sony First-Party Titles

[Week 09, 2017] HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 114,000 / NEW
[Week 26, 2017] CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) ~ 118,000 / NEW
[Week 34, 2017] UNCHARTED: THE LOST LEGACY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 42, 2017] GRAN TURISMO: SPORT (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 74,000 / NEW
How much did Uncharted 4?

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So Forza Horizon 3 and Cash Bandicoot will be the best selling Xbox One and Ps4 exclusives in 2017 in the UK*.
Who would've believed that in late 2016?

*at retail

Since this is a sales thread (retail) we can say that the only Xbox One exclusives of this year have been Halo Wars 2 and Forza Motorsport 7 and non of them had a chance to match Forza Horizon 3 second year even if they hadn't underperformed.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy performance has been a great surprise though.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the numbers for AC launches in UK, thanks Bruno!

Code:
[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 207,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 215,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 332,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW (95%)

I think AC:O will land somewhere between Unity and Syndicate, my guess is 130k. The question is whether SMO can top that number. I'm going to guess that it will edge out in front of AC, such that Mario > AC > Wolfenstein.

That difference between 3 and everything else heh

Status
Not open for further replies.