• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's bad for Wolfenstein II...
Constantly underwhelming sales for Bethesda this year doesn't exactly emits any hope for future SP projects and that's fucking sad.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The obsession of dumping everything in the holiday season strikes again , The New Order had a comfortable release date at may with much more room to breathe.

Evil Within 2 and Prey weren't released in a crowded schedule and they under performed as well. The market is changing faster than we anticipated. This is a very bad sign for single player games that aren't huge open worlds.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation very strong in the UK, for some reason I associate UK with Xbox maybe because last gen but looks like it's Playstation country now? Not sure if just a random week through.

Last gen was good for xbox, most xbox multiplat games sold better and it ended selling more than the Wii (although that took a long time for 360 to catch up) but ms totally botched the launch and they are doing good deals now but it's a little too late.
They could turn it around next gen but I think PS4 is going to be the most popular system for now.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Wii Fit Plus sold 294,000 in its first 4 weeks.

Here the weekly percentage changes, doing some maths we have 80,000 units sold in its first week.

Week 1 - NEW
Week 2 - (+3%)
Week 3 - (-24%)
Week 4 - ? / 294,000 (+10%)

294,000 x (1 / (1 + 1.03 + (1.03 x 0.76) + (1.03 x 0.76 x 1.10))) = 80,024

1. Wii Fit - 215,000
2. Mario Kart Wii - 186,000
3. Pokémon Sun -
4. Pokémon Moon -
5. Wii Fit Plus - 80,000
6. Super Smash Bros. Wii - 79,000

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last gen was good for xbox, most xbox multiplat games sold better and it ended selling more than the Wii (although that took a long time for 360 to catch up) but ms totally botched the launch and they are doing good deals now but it's a little too late.
They could turn it around next gen but I think PS4 is going to be the most popular system for now.

Friends having Ps4 make other friends buy their systems, so yeah Ps4 is in a very strong position.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Good performance for SMO, so-so for AC origins and bad for Wolfenstein II. It's a real shame about Wolf tho, Bethesda is one of the few companies who still deliver amazing SP experiences but I'm afraid they will change their approach in the future after so many flops

I'm really happy about GT Sport as well, really good hold all things considered

It's like they devised their whole strategy around what worked for Fallout4 and Doom without realising that it worked there because it's Fallout4 and Doom.

Was GTS a Tuesday or Friday release?

Think it was Friday.

It was a Wednesday release

Oct 25, 2017
Good performance for SMO, so-so for AC origins and bad for Wolfenstein II. It's a real shame about Wolf tho, Bethesda is one of the few companies who still deliver amazing SP experiences but I'm afraid they will change their approach in the future after so many flops

I'm really happy about GT Sport as well, really good hold all things considered

It was a Wednesday release

Ah, thanks for the correction.

Oct 27, 2017
For the second year in a row, Ubi's biggest selling title came out in the Spring.

Is that Wildlands?

Sure. There's going to be a lot of games (Forza 7, Shadow of War, ACO) getting a significant bump in a few weeks then? Or, more likely, they might sell a few thousand extra as people pick the games up alongside their new console. But I doubt it will make a particularly noticeable impact on the charts.

Playstation very strong in the UK, for some reason I associate UK with Xbox maybe because last gen but looks like it's Playstation country now? Not sure if just a random week through.

I think the PS4:Xbone split was about 1.5:1 earlier in the gen (which stacks with a 60/40 breakdown). However, I'm not sure if that's still the case or Sony has increased their market share since then.

That's actually bad for SMO imo, not being able to break 100k is a sad.

Nintendo have never been particularly strong in this country, with the possible exception of the Wii.

If the finale of the trilogy is greenlit for Wolfenstein I reckon they should go back to the May release date.

I agree. Wolfenstein as a brand may be fairly well-known, but it's not strong enough to compete with the really big pre-Christmas releases from other publishers. Beth should stop forcing their non-BGS games into that slot.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious as to how Call of Duty is going to do next week. The hype seems kind of subdued this year, but as far as I can tell it still seems to be doing okay on the pre-order charts I've seen, and it's coming after a busy week for consumers.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That and the fact that a lot of people don't vote.. hell, I've been all digital this gen and I haven't done so even once.
For me it's annoying that you can't vote on the game on PSN if you have a retail copy. It's like they're afraid people will spam with votes on various accounts. They could easily prevent that with IP checks.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
The obsession of dumping everything in the holiday season strikes again , The New Order had a comfortable release date at may with much more room to breathe.
And it was published not long after new consoles debuted which helped a lot. People were thirsty for meaty new-gen titles and, if I remember correctly, most of the sales were on PS4 and XO. All games sell pretty well during next-gen infancy because buyers are willing to spend more on their new toys.

Last edited:

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see you again John Bender ;)
anigif_enhanced-buzz-6lsc7.gif

Thanks bro =) I't nice to be back. *brofist*

Oct 27, 2017
Did it? i thought GT did 90k.. but it seems it did 74k, and Mario?? 77k?

edit. how do i quote on resetera?

Click on the '+Quote' box to the right of the post, then in the box at the bottom of the page you have to click to add the quoted messages in the bottom left.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6lsc7.gif

Thanks bro =) I't nice to be back. *brofist*

Yeah, good to see you again pal. Were you banned from Gaf? I did follow you on Twitter but I don't think you're very active on there, are you?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Click on the '+Quote' box to the right of the post, then in the box at the bottom of the page you have to click to add the quoted messages in the bottom left.
Yeah, good to see you again pal. Were you banned from Gaf? I did follow you on Twitter but I don't think you're very active on there, are you?
Yup, banned because I was talking about the Vita in a 3DS thread. I didn't even start the conversation. I replied to a post and...... welp. Those Gaf times are over. A new Era is upon us =)
Nice to see the band back together here.

fake edit.
I'm not on Twitter very often. It's time to change that.
77k SMO on a platform which has sold 300k isn't good?
Is 77k for Super Mario Odyssey confirmed?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Any word on GT sport's week 2 drop? Really curious how its legs will be.
gamesindustry.biz said:
The new launches has caused FIFA 18 to slip to No.3 (sales down 11% week-on-week), while last week's No.1 Gran Turismo Sport drops to No.5 with a 61% decrease in sales week-on-week.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...d-assassins-creed-origins-top-uk-boxed-charts

----------------------

FIFA 18 has a small 11% drop, which probably explains why Switch is at the same percentage of total FIFA 18 sales: Switch sku was close to flat for the last few weeks, and now all versions are almost flat.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well done for SMO. I was expecting a bit more for AC:O, equalling Syndicate is not really the kind of reboot the series needed, but maybe it will be better in other regions. Unfortunately Wolfenstein II, as expected, didn't set the world on fire.

I bet they will.
Syndicate released 2 years ago with much lower digital share.

Games being flat or down only low double digits are doing fine.
Being down 50% or even 70% at retail over the predecessor are the concerning titels

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they will.
Syndicate released 2 years ago with much lower digital share.

Games being flat or down only low double digits are doing fine.
Being down 50% or even 70% at retail over the predecessor are the concerning titels

Syndicate was a big drop in terms of sales compared to other AC entries. Practically AC:O didn't bring back old AC players, just got more money on more or less the same players as Syndicate. I don't think that the digital share is that big for AC.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
GT Sport will sell well for the rest of the PS4's life. It'll get content updates. Remember Driveclub? Yeah. GT Sport will do the same. They're built as platforms.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital doesn't have the same impact on the UK as other territories. You can get the same game at retail for -25% than the digital price compared to other regions were prices are the same.

This is less true than commenters think it is. It's one of those things everyone just posts and repeats but isn't actually true. Digital in UK is less than US but not hugely so. It's also a bigger % than people think.

In regards to sales solid start for Origins, fantastic debut for Odyssey, and not a great result for Wolf 2

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice hold for GTS

If you want to have a slight idea of digital sales for games look at the number of ratings the game got on the digital store (only those who buy digital can rate them). Of course not a definitive indicator but it gives you an idea.

Since GT Sport and AC: Origins both released around the same timeframe and with similar retail sales, here is the comparison on the PSN store:

GT Sport - 1855
AC: Origins - 154
Wolfenstein II - 36

Singleplayer games simply don't do well digitally on the UK because of the pricing difference between retail and digital (~25%). It's a different story if it's a multiplayer/persistent game that has hooks to keep you playing for years.

GT Sport might have an unusually high digital rate as the demo included a pre-order digital option.

Looks like Polyphony made a killing in France.

w9v5YC2.jpg

Wait till you see Germany. Besides EU, I'm seeing a lot of players from Brazil and Middle East. The great thing about GT is its worldwide appeal.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GT: Sport can have great legs. Doesn't change that its opening wasn't that impressive by GT standards.
No one is saying it did..not sure the relevance. Considering the change of direction, always online and low content...it did well imo, and will continue to do so. GAAS games are about longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.