• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Switch uptake in the UK is not that great. Doom sales are pretty meh imo. The price is a turn off but all the same I woulda expected better.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
In a better light? Worse? How does this tell us anything about FIFA?

FIFA Switch sold about 1/50 of FIFA PS4, while being a simultaneous release. Doom did 1/10 as as full priced 1.5 year late port. The two really don't compare.

Nevermind, I thought FIFA 18 on Switch sold around 10k in the first week, but I checked that and I remember wrongly.

Edit: they are related in terms of what part of the Switch audience is buying 3rd party games that are outside the comfort zone (Rayman, Sonic, LEGO etc.).

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
It will be interesting to see if Doom on Switch outsold Wolfenstein 2 on either PS4 or XB1

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
It's a 1.5-year-late-port at full price, that alone puts it on a different level compared to a simultaneous release like FIFA. Not great, but absolutely not a bad result. Basically, decent (maybe slightly more than that), as said by others.

Agree. I'm sure Bethesda does not have big expectation, it's just another "experiment".

But i would say that for a game like that, those numbers looks alright.

Oct 28, 2017
3500 launch week sales seem poor despite all the caveats (full priced late port). In absolute terms, those are similar to niche Japanese game launch weeks in the UK. And i doubt the game will have great legs to make up for a mediocre launch.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Besides, installed base doesn't actually matter as much as people think. Most games early into a console lifecycle will have significantly higher attach rates than later releases.

It's so nice to see this typed out.

Install base matters significantly more when it comes to evergreen games that never leave charts and have loooong legs, because those are games that are in the GTAV category of "what most gamers buy when they buy a console."

But core games that sell a vast majority of its sales in the first 2-3 months? The ability for the game to sell and move units for that particular audience is the driver. And it's been demonstrated many times this gen, when games like Titanfall sell ridiculously well despite its low install base, Gravity Rush 2 performs terribly in spite of its install base, among other things.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
3500 launch week sales seem poor despite all the caveats (full priced late port). In absolute terms, those are similar to niche Japanese game launch weeks in the UK. And i doubt the game will have great legs to make up for a mediocre launch.

Yeah that's my take on it. Even with all the qualifications, unit sales of 3,500 is not a good or decent number.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Uhm, Fifa Switch disappear from the chart and Doom start was poor at best, not a good sign for third parties...

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to spin a 3500 result as good. Sonic outselling Mario's second week tells a lot about Nintendo in UK though -- just not a strong brand in the country.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would say look at what the expectations were.

Doom isn't in stock on Amazon uk so I would assume the shipment wouldn't of been too high. It's highly placed on the eShop as well

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Which is why I think its a respectable return for Doom. How can people be expecting any more when its outselling a brand new game from the same studio on platforms with a far greater install base

Because you're comparing this to a random week for Wolfenstein 2.

Also we really need to stop this 'install base' stuff.

I get people want Doom to do well but lets work with the information that's out there.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at raw number for doom of around 3500 just does not seem good no matter the context?

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at raw number for doom of around 3500 just does not seem good no matter the context?

Late port plus full price works in it's favor. However, we are still in the launch year for Switch and DOOM isn't going to be the only late port at full price, so not every publisher will end up being content with such low numbers.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On individual charts, 3 PS4 exclusives in top 40:

Gran Turismo Sport #11
Crash Bandicoot #17
The Lost Legacy #29

Most impressive is Crash. After 4,5 months at #17.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

I get people want Doom to do well but lets work with the information that's out there.

I'm comparing the 3rd week of sales of Wolfenstein to Doom which has been out for over a year on other platforms

Oct 28, 2017
Which is why I think its a respectable return for Doom. How can people be expecting any more when its outselling a brand new game from the same studio on platforms with a far greater install base

Ah but wolf has been out for weeks and there is no shortage of games to buy on all platforms at this time of year. It was bound to do most of it's business in the first few weeks. That should be a preview to the sort of legs Doom will have on switch. And the install base doesn't matter as much as you seem to think it does

HighJump

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Awww no X1X comments from gfk?

Edit: wait nvm I see the thread. Weird how the breakout threads get all the attention.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way to spin 3500 copies into being a good result no matter how hard you try. Like someone mentioned, that's niche Japanese games sales level. Maybe they should have given it a budget price.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ah but wolf has been out for weeks and there is no shortage of games to buy on all platforms at this time of year. It was bound to do most of it's business in the first few weeks. That should be a preview to the sort of legs Doom will have on switch. And the install base doesn't matter as much as you seem to think it does

Also worth noting that Wolf2 had a relatively poor opening week and the game is working it's way down the chart very quickly which is a damn shame. DOOM did not do particularly well but I don't think this is surprising for an FPS on the Switch in the UK. Let's see how Skyrim does.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

Install base is what, 300k+ on Switch compared to 6m+ on PS4 in the UK. All i'm saying is Doom did all it could when you look at everything around it, old game + price tag being extremely high compared to other platforms. Doom on Switch should not be outselling a brand new game like Wolfenstein in its 3rd week on other systems

Its a shame Wolfenstein didn't release on Switch at the same time to see how sales compared

Status
Not open for further replies.