• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It's also further supported by the way Nintendo is marketing the system over here. In Germany, there's now a campus tour where people will be able to try Mario Odyssey, 1-2 Switch, Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario+Rabbids, and FIFA 18. More hardcore-oriented titles such as Skyrim, Doom, LA Noire, Xenoblade 2 and Zelda won't be featured.
Wait, so Zelda and Skyrim are "hardcore-oriented", but a fighting game, a third-person shooter and a turn-based strategy game aren't?

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda is publishing, I believe. Per game pages on nintendo.com and nintendo.co.uk and third party release schedule.

It was definitely undershipped originally but we don't really know how the shipment situation looks right now. Even if the sell through was 80% you are still looking at over 10k copies unaccounted for before including digital.

It looks like it is still undershipped after so long, since they are not even able to fulfill demand back at home...

But we are just guessing. No point anyway.

Companiea like KT, Sega and Capcom have referenced shipments to other Asian countries as being decent. For example Street Fighter 2 for Switch was over 50k, MHXX was 100k vs 200k in Japan. Dragon ball is pretty popular world wide. The. Shipment should be decent I imagine.

Dragonball is popular in Asia, however buying a system for Dragon ball is not. Dragonball Dokkan Battle can help with the itch.

Specific franchises like MH do good numbers overseas as people will buy systems for that game. But not very game is like that.

KT has historical reasons (generations are raised on RotK and Uncharted Waters in Sinosphere) and franchise reasons (it's RotK) to sell well to parts of Asia, particular in parts of the Sinosphere.

As for Sega, because the mix amusement, mobile and game sales, it is not easy to see how packaged games do in Asia. The best result 200k Yakuza Kiwami, is due to bundling....Sega does alot of amusement machine businesses in overseas arcades.

I imagine in the West it will do better than XV2. I was just saying you cant just look at XV2 and quote shipment numbers since it has a presence in the Asian market Doom simply wont have.

Doom has some currency in the more developed Asian nations like Singapore, parts of ME, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea. Since their development trajectory and development timing means they are exposed to this franchise. We can expect similar reception there.

For these markets, much like SF or Xenoverse it does 30-50k. Nintendo has never been very strong in these regions. So it is almost the top end of possible performance.

As for rest of Asia, Doom has no currency, unlike Dragonball. However, they also don't generally buy consoles either.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'd have been surprised if Doom did sell well on the Switch. A full price? late port never goes down well.

Very good launch for the One X. Didn't think it could do those numbers. Trouble is (as it was always) if they can sustain a healthy momentum. It might do decent in the run up to Xmas but I think the expectations are (once the early adopters and Xmas potential dries up) it'll nose dive in January onwards. Especially when the exclusive line up is still very barren. Beyond Forza though (and again this falls back on lack on exclusives) there didn't seem much uptick in software for such a decent launch. Therefore it's just selling to an existing crowd who are already attached to the eco system than expanding in to PS users.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Without question. The Switch and its games (and probably Pokemon) are going to be the hottest items this holiday.
Doubtful. Given it's typically PS4 and Xbox One games consistently at the top of the charts, I'm unsure how you reach that conclusion. Also the Switch is still much too expensive (compared to the other consoles) for the UK market, which is typically very price conscious.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doubtful. Given it's typically PS4 and Xbox One games consistently at the top of the charts, I'm unsure how you reach that conclusion. Also the Switch is still much too expensive (compared to the other consoles) for the UK market, which is typically very price conscious.
Bullshit. Check out the top 100 for 2017.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sorry the list was American Amazon

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It looks like it is still undershipped after so long, since they are not even able to fulfill demand back at home...

But we are just guessing. No point anyway.

Dragonball is popular in Asia, however buying a system for Dragon ball is not. Dragonball Dokkan Battle can help with the itch.

Specific franchises like MH do good numbers overseas as people will buy systems for that game. But not very game is like that.

KT has historical reasons (generations are raised on RotK and Uncharted Waters in Sinosphere) and franchise reasons (it's RotK) to sell well to parts of Asia, particular in parts of the Sinosphere.

As for Sega, because the mix amusement, mobile and game sales, it is not easy to see how packaged games do in Asia. The best result 200k Yakuza Kiwami, is due to bundling....Sega does alot of amusement machine businesses in overseas arcades.

Doom has some currency in the more developed Asian nations like Singapore, parts of ME, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea. Since their development trajectory and development timing means they are exposed to this franchise. We can expect similar reception there.

For these markets, much like SF or Xenoverse it does 30-50k. Nintendo has never been very strong in these regions. So it is almost the top end of possible performance.

As for rest of Asia, Doom has no currency, unlike Dragonball. However, they also don't generally buy consoles either.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully we'll get some regional shipment numbers.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bullshit. Check out the top 100 for 2017.

Yes? Here's the list for Amazon UK.

jfeaojfom6siv.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 62

Wait, so Zelda and Skyrim are "hardcore-oriented", but a fighting game, a third-person shooter and a turn-based strategy game aren't?

I'm pretty sure you can figure out yourself why ARMS and Splatoon 2 are more appealing to families than Doom or Skyrim. I don't think this requires any further explanation.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been shown over and over again that Amazon charts are not a good basis for sales results. This whole argument is a waste of time.
It actually hasn't been shown over and over again that Amazon charts are not a good basis for sales results in the US. In fact they mirror it quite well. Dominant console the past few months in NPD happens to be the dominant console on Amazon. Same when it comes to games. It's not always a perfect 1:1 equation, but it's not far off.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never use the UK results to judge how the Switch and it's games are doing.

It clearly hasn't picked up on the Switch the way the US and Japan have.

I'll wait til we have results from either of those to determine if DOOM is doing well.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The small user base for Switch compared to the PS4 and Xbox makes it look like Switch software is selling poorly in the UK. The Switch isn't laser focused on 20/30 males with lots of spare time to play games. This is why stuff like Doom will not light up the charts with high attach rates. That's more a property of a very focused user base. The Switch hits a broad user base with a wide variety of tastes. More casual titles will do better as it caters to a broader audience. More hardcore titles like Doom will not necessarily do bad but it will take some time to grow. Its a new audience for Bethesda and that's a good thing. I think it will perform fine and do respectable numbers in the long run.

Oct 26, 2017
Using hourly updated Amazon sales is pretty unreliable unless you're compiling a chart of what it looks like every hour.

I'd recommend following the monthly bestsellers if you really want to use Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-11/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar , just use the 2017 bestseller link and add edit the url to 2017-11 for November.

Bear in mind that link is for US, which we should probably be steering away from discussing in the PAL thread.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I remember how people called DBXV2 on Switch a bomb because of the UK first week chart position.

For most publishers this is a marathon not a sprint and the Switch market is much bigger than whatever they can sell first week in UK. The lack of perceptive can make it hard to follow those PAL threads.

The Switch installed base is much lower than the number of its competitors - yet people expect old full price ports to sell substantially better than other/new games on the market. Bethesda and co. have likely much more reasonable expectations than most people who post in this thread.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Except I have relied on them, and they're spot on most of the time. Referring to monthly/yearly charts, not hourly.

Are they?

Let's compare the best selling NPD games to the best selling games on Amazon in 2017.

NPD:

1. Destiny 2*
2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. For Honor
8. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Injustice 2
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda

Amazon

1. Super Mario Odyssey (not actually a factor in NPD results yet)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Breath of the Wild (Switch)
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Splatoon 2
6. Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
7. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5
8. COD WWII (PS4)
9. Crash Trilogy
10. Uncharted Lost Legacy

The lists aren't very similar.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been shown over and over again that Amazon charts are not a good basis for sales results. This whole argument is a waste of time.

Exactly NPD shows a different picture. Looking at Amazon you would assume switch is the only console available. Switch Mario and Zelda will definitely be big this holiday though.

Interesting information about Doom being published by Nintendo heard Skyrim was possibly published by them also. Goes a long way to explain Besthada's change of heart.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of those three, only FIFA saw a week on week increase. Most titles didn't see an increase at all.

The Forza brand saw the biggest increase though.

Yeah i did not mean a necessary actual unit increse, but the question was about a sales bump. So if the total of a game is dropping for example 50% WoW, the Ps4 Version is dropping 58% and the Xbox One Version is dropping only 42% WoW, that's a sales bump for the Xbox One Version.

And during the Xbox One X release the share of every Multiplatform game (we got numbers for) increased for that week. A question about which game beside Forza 7 on Xbox One increased on a units sold base is more for people with access to GFK data :)

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Are they?

Let's compare the best selling NPD games to the best selling games on Amazon in 2017.

NPD:

1. Destiny 2*
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. For Honor
8. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Injustice 2

Amazon

2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Splatoon 2
8. COD WWII (PS4)
9. Crash Trilogy

That's not a very useful comparison imo, since amazon does not combine skus, and as such Destiny takes 4 or more ranks in the ranking, instead of consolidating to one. Of course, that is one of the more fundamental reasons why direct comparisons between amazon and real life should be very carefully considered (the other being digital, which factors into NPD for XB1/PS4 but not Switch, and factors nowhere in the amazon ranking).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It actually hasn't been shown over and over again that Amazon charts are not a good basis for sales results in the US. In fact they mirror it quite well. Dominant console the past few months in NPD happens to be the dominant console on Amazon. Same when it comes to games. It's not always a perfect 1:1 equation, but it's not far off.

Amazon monthly videogames top 100 is a good predictor of relative console rankings, but it's certainly not a good predictor of relative game rankings.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Are they?

NPD:

1. Destiny 2*
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. For Honor
8. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Injustice 2

Amazon

2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Splatoon 2
8. COD WWII (PS4)
9. Crash Trilogy

Correct Amazon game sales rankings are meaningless when talking about the regional market at large. In all likelihood the bottom 5 games on the NPD drop out and are replaced by COD, SMO, AC:O, Shadow of Mordor and SWBF2.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Actually I think it was..Mat? Zhuge? Someone mentioned that Amazon is a bad measure for sidestream stuff like niche Japanese stuff because they tend to have their position inflated relative to normal.

However, for more or less mainstream stuff, which most of Nintendo's output is..in America, it is kinda reliable? Or at least less bad.

I don't think it is meant to be an accurate relative ranking guide, just a indicator of general performance.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Anecdotal, and I'm not implying this had anything to do with it, but the Switch shelf-space in my local GAME isn't very big to begin with, and when I visited GAME on Friday, they hadn't even put the DOOM Switch cases out on display. They had cases for pre-orders of LA Noire, but no Doom. I almost thought I'd gotten the wrong day, but asked at the counter. The girl serving me had to ask her manager if it was out today and he replied in the affirmative and then went rummaging through a draw to find it. That's pretty ridiculous for a game launching on a Friday, it should be the last thing they do on a Thursday afternoon after locking up. This wasn't 9am on Friday either, I didn't go there til nearly 3pm.

They were doing a promotion where you could get some old game(s) super cheap if you bought COD WW2 though.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo may perform better in Spain than the UK relatively but there is no way SMO sold more in Spain. In fact SMO sold really well in the UK

Also the UK is a top 3 market in Europe. How is it dead?

I wouldn't say Mario did really well in UK, it did good, but compared to everywhere else and the fact the UK crowd isn't buying many games for Switch you would expect it to do more than that.

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. Looks purty.

Posted in the other thread but that Nintendo Switch bump for Sonic Forces is real. Kind of surprising to me how well it charted overall in the UK given lackluster critical reception. Then again, it's a Sonic game which will always have its share of nostalgia attached.

I'm blow away, that people keep buying healthy servings of this digital slop.
At this point sonic team has a problem, and we are enabling.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Next week ww2 will likely cross 1M at Retail and most likely 1.8M total.

Cod is back and next year is going to be twice as big.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Next week ww2 will likely cross 1M at Retail and most likely 1.8M total.

Cod is back and next year is going to be twice as big.
Why? I thought this massive performance was the battlefield 1 effect, where the fans wanted a return to the roots, and Activision delivered. I don't really see why COD would be increasing even further from here on out when it wasn't doing that before.

Mr.Bomb

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hmm, from what I'm hearing Odyssey is below 20kk ATM so if true I doubt Sonic is that far ahead. Plus not a single individual sku of the game is ahead of Odyssey.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why? I thought this massive performance was the battlefield 1 effect, where the fans wanted a return to the roots, and Activision delivered. I don't really see why COD would be increasing even further from here on out when it wasn't doing that before.

You clearly don't understand much about Cod my friend, it's normal if you are not part of the fanbase, here's a few hints :

Treyarch
Boots on the ground

=)

It's gonna smash WW2 to pieces.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember how people called DBXV2 on Switch a bomb because of the UK first week chart position.

For most publishers this is a marathon not a sprint and the Switch market is much bigger than whatever they can sell first week in UK. The lack of perceptive can make it hard to follow those PAL threads.

The Switch installed base is much lower than the number of its competitors - yet people expect old full price ports to sell substantially better than other/new games on the market. Bethesda and co. have likely much more reasonable expectations than most people who post in this thread.

Eh.... I'm not sure if publishers really want a marathon rather than a sprint. Prices depreciate thus their profits too and there's no incentive in selling longer unless you're a platform holder like Nintendo since it adds value to the platform itself.

I agree that Bethesda is a reasonable publisher when it comes to expectation and we'll see if the support continues after Wolfenstein 2, or is there a much later release?

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Dragonball is a huge franchise, and seems like a perfect fit for the switch audience that seems to be into cartoony games, i don't think doom will do well, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.