• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what's the the physical/digital ratio of Switch atm.

Q2 financials

28720c712d46826cd5936b0510f22976.png

• In 1H'17 Nintendo earned 22.8 billion yen ($205.29 million) from digital download sales, up 55% year-over-year, making its best-ever six-month period for digital download sales
  • Q2 saw the biggest jump for this period

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It actually hasn't been shown over and over again that Amazon charts are not a good basis for sales results in the US. In fact they mirror it quite well. Dominant console the past few months in NPD happens to be the dominant console on Amazon. Same when it comes to games. It's not always a perfect 1:1 equation, but it's not far off.

Amazon chart positions are not a good metric to use for software, but it is a good indicator for what the top-selling console of the month may be.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazon chart positions are not a good metric to use for software, but it is a good indicator for what the top-selling console of the month may be.
They're not good to measure software on an hour by hour basis, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a big disparity between Amazon's top 100 of the year and the actual top 100 (split out across consoles obviously).

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I was saying the other day, UK doesn't take to Nintendo stuff anymore, I wonder if this will affect Nintendo UK...

Also, noone made the "Nintendoom is doomed in UK" joke yet?
Pokemon is as popular as ever here and Nintendo's big stuff (Mario and Zelda have done really well). It's very overblown how badly Nintendo do here, do they do better elsewhere? Definitely, but they do fine here too (outside of the Wii U and Gamecube) .

Deleted member 62

I wonder what's the the physical/digital ratio of Switch atm.

Unfortunately, we don't have numbers which specify software, hardware and accessory revenue for each Nintendo platform. We only have the sum of these, which makes estimations difficult. However, we have those numbers for Europe, but only for up to March 2016. Based on those we could try to make some rough estimations.

For Europe in 2016, software made up about 40% of all 3DS revenues and 35% of all Wii U revenues. Those percentages might differ in other regions, but we lack data for that. So let's assume they are similar worldwide. Given the retail price of the Switch, we could also assume that 35% of all Switch revenues come from software.

Revenues from 3DS and Switch for April-September were 324,872m yen, using the percentages above, software revenues in that period would be estimated as 117,260m yen. Digital revenues are reported as 22,800m, so the share of digital sales would be about 19% across Switch and 3DS.

But again, that's just a very rough estimation as we don't have any more data. And it's also just for Nintendo's own software, the split might be different for other publishers.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think people should make predictions before sales come out. :)

Without context many numbers can be spun as low, ok, good, etc. Because reasons.

In media create threads, this helps ground the conversation. Factors such as other game sales, user base, release schedule, factor into predictions and therefore expectations.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah i did not mean a necessary actual unit increse, but the question was about a sales bump. So if the total of a game is dropping for example 50% WoW, the Ps4 Version is dropping 58% and the Xbox One Version is dropping only 42% WoW, that's a sales bump for the Xbox One Version.

You should get a job in PR dude.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should get a job in PR dude.

It crossed my mind but PR people are even more hated than bankers, so i rather not change my profession.
What else should be the most reasonable explanation for the increase in marketshare for the Xbox One Version this week over last week across the board, if not people buying new packaged software alongside new hardware?

Of couse this all depends on an individuals definition of sales bump, but for me that is also a noticeable lower decline compared to the competition and market driven by an explicit event.

Here is my PR statement; "mostly all of Xbox One first and thrid party titles saw a sales bump thanks to the launch of the highly anticipated and nearly sold out Xbox One X and outperformed all competing platforms in marketshare gains this week. Forza Motorsport 7, our visual showcase and the most critically acclaimed racing game this year, had an even stronger showing with sales increase more than 50% over last week.
We look forward to a great holiday season and want to thank all of you for your continued support and feedback so we can make Xbox great again.

Yes i should get a Job in PR :D

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
About as expected for Doom. It really will depend on if it has holiday legs. The Switch is doing good software wise, just no real third party mega hits. But looking at the lineup it seems expected really.

Sonic did too good.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X unit sales last week amounted to the 10th best UK console launch of all time, by comparison the PS4 Pro ranks 20th.

Xbox One as a category was boosted to its fourth biggest week to date, in unit terms. It was outdone by the week of the original console's launch and the 2014 and 2015's Black Friday events.
In terms of proportions, the Xbox One X accounted for 66 per cent of Xbox One console units sold that week, and 45 per cent of all home consoles. That compares favourably to 64 per cent and 37 per cent for the PS4 Pro's launch week.

2016 Numbers:
Week 44
Ps4: 25k
Xb1: 29k

Week 45
all consoles: 145.5k
Ps4 Pro: 50k
Ps4: 27k
Xb1: 54k
other: 15.5k

2017 Numbers:
Week 45
all home consoles: 178k
Xb1 X: 80k
Xb1 S: 41k

more at the link:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/xbox-one-x-outsells-ps4-pro-in-first-week
source for 2016 data:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/publishing/ps4-console-sales-up-204-following-pro-launch

Last edited:

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2016 Numbers:
Week 44
Ps4: 25k
Xb1: 29k

Week 45
all consoles: 145.5k
Ps4 Pro: 50k
Ps4: 27k
Xb1: 54k
other: 15.5k

2017 Numbers:
Week 45
all home consoles: 178k
Xb1 X: 80k
Xb1 S: 41k

more at the link:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/xbox-one-x-outsells-ps4-pro-in-first-week
source for 2016 data:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/publishing/ps4-console-sales-up-204-following-pro-launch

wow thats a massive control of MS of UK market for last week. Sony probably need to do something soon. even XB1S has quite strong numbers.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow thats a massive control of MS of UK market for last week. Sony probably need to do something soon. even XB1S has quite strong numbers.
I would really like to know why the Xbox One S was so strong in the launch week of Xbox One X.
It sold not much less than Switch, Ps4 and Ps4 Pro combined.

What is also very fascinating:
The Xbox One X this year sold about 2 times the regular Xbox One.
The Ps4 Pro last year sold about 2 times the regular Ps4.

Switch is likely heavily supply constrained after the Mario launch.
Ps4 had a the new Call of Duty: WW2 bundles released the week before.
Xbox One S probably got a bump because of the Xbox One X launch and had deals?

This is how i would try to explain the Xbox One S numbers.

Last edited:

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think that?
A big shipment was made available for the Mario launch and 2 weeks after that, the stock of that shipment is drying out.
Nintendo needs times to replenish stock and the next big shipments will probably come in later. This or next week and in time for black Friday.
It's not like retailer get new huge shipments every week. Sometimes you have just a steady low stock incoming, and sometimes you get way bigger ones for huge sales events.

The Xbox One X launch week is exactly 2 weeks after the Mario Odysse launch and 2 weeks before Black Friday.
So it could be just the perfect unfortunate timing with the lowest amount of Switch stock in November.

Deleted member 62

A big shipment was made available for the Mario launch and 2 weeks after that, the stock of that shipment is drying out.
Nintendo needs times to replenish stock and the next big shipments will probably come in later. This or next week and in time for black Friday.
It's not like retailer get new huge shipments every week. Sometimes you have just a steady low stock incoming, and sometimes you get way bigger ones for huge sales events.

It honestly doesn't look like it's out of stock at any major retailer, at least online. I don't really see how you can say it's supply constrained at this point.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It honestly doesn't look like it's out of stock at any major retailer, at least online. I don't really see how you can say it's supply constrained at this point.
In that case the numbers are even more weird and do not make much sense for me.
57k for Switch + Ps4 family combined during the second week of November (first full week of CoD: WW2 and 2nd full week of Mario Odysse)

As i said. I don't know and really would like to know...

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
The big surprise for me is seeing Forza Horizon 3 charting so high a year later.

It's even crazier when you think it's also an exclusive to a console with less install base then the competition.

An offshoot racing game is keeping up with 2 juggernaut racing games, GTS and F7.

I mean wow. What is keeping this game so high? It's very interesting to see.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The big surprise for me is seeing Forza Horizon 3 charting so high a year later.

It's even crazier when you think it's also an exclusive to a console with less install base then the competition.

An offshoot racing game is keeping up with 2 juggernaut racing games, GTS and F7.

I mean wow. What is keeping this game so high? It's very interesting to see.
Bundles.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like to know why the Xbox One S was so strong in the launch week of Xbox One X.

A lot of discussion about the xbox brand around the industry, a lot of it positive, perhaps that trickled out to the general public.

So the name "xbox" entered the mind generating positive feelings and subconsciously had an impact on their console buying .

I know I'm reaching lol

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Ok those XB1S numbers looks very strong, and i'm honestly super surprised. In general i'm very impressed about XB1 overall, >120K in a week is huge, i never thought it would sell that much outside of Black Friday and launch.

What kind of deals got XB1S that week?

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Ok those XB1S numbers looks very strong, and i'm honestly super surprised. In general i'm very impressed about XB1 overall, >120K in a week is huge, i never thought it would sell that much outside of Black Friday and launch.

What kind of deals got XB1S that week?

I'd like to know this as well.

Also wondering how much the bundles factored into FH3 charting so high.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks a lot for the graphs !

I think it is still too prematurate to make projections based on the data. There are 2 reasons for that :

- The Holiday season is not there yet and we don't know how the Switch will perform during this time of the year.

- They said it, the actual numbers have been impacted by the supply constrainst so there are not fully representative of the demand.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Thanks.

Source of these graphs?

I think the Switch projection is a big conservative. The first test will be Christmas 2017.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has to be Game PLC, right?
Don't know any other retailer that is specialized in the UK + Spain market.

And something like the week 23 dip is exactly what i meant when talking about lower Switch numbers in week 45. My wording with heavily supply constrained wasn't good tho, so apologies for that.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Xbox One S has been uber-cheap in the UK ever since the Xbox One X launched. You can tell Microsoft's throwing absolutely everything at November again.

This seems to be how they roll now.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Status
Not open for further replies.