• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Are they?

Let's compare the best selling NPD games to the best selling games on Amazon in 2017.

NPD:

1. Destiny 2*
2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
3. NBA 2K18
4. Madden NFL 18
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. For Honor
8. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Injustice 2
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda

Amazon

1. Super Mario Odyssey (not actually a factor in NPD results yet)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Breath of the Wild (Switch)
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Splatoon 2
6. Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
7. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5
8. COD WWII (PS4)
9. Crash Trilogy
10. Uncharted Lost Legacy

The lists aren't very similar.
Amazon top is by Unit sold.

I think NPD top is by value.

A XboxO/PS4 game cost generaly more than a switch game.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't be too worried about DOOM, uk market isn't typically indicative of Nintendo software performance, and there's been a lot of buzz on the switch subreddit ever since its announcement (usually a good sign) and to an extent youtube and other social media channels. Expect it to pull decent numbers in the US.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4.4M - Ps4
3.1M - Xbox One

Seems more likely.
What about this?
4.2 - 4.5m Ps4
3.0 - 3.3m Xbox One
1.27 - 1.5 : 1 ratio

Somewhere in between will be the actual number most likely. I hope we get a PR statement next year, when Ps4 will break the 5 million milestone.

But as these numbers are from end of July and probably not up-weighted the Ps4 could be close already.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about this?
4.2 - 4.5m Ps4
3.0 - 3.3m Xbox One
1.27 - 1.5 : 1 ratio

Somewhere in between will be the actual number most likely. I hope we get a PR statement next year, when Ps4 will break the 5 million milestone.

But as these numbers are from end of July and probably not up-weighted the Ps4 could be close already.

PS4 had a insane September most of likely (Fifa and Destiny Bundles).

Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4.3m for Ps4
3.2m for Xbox One
1.35:1 LTD ratio in favor of Ps4

1.5:1 seems to high as the ratio at the beginning of 2016 was estimated to be around 1.25:1
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/03/23/ps4-xbox-one-sales-reach-5-1-million-uk-says-game/

According to your post, Xbone was selling at faster rate than PS4 during this year and last year. But that's not the case because PS4 outsold Xbone during whole 2016 ( outside November '16 IIRC, but PS4 wiped out that advantage next month ), and also according to this year PAL charts, PS4 dominated charts with average 60:40 ratio.

4.4 mil PS4 vs. 3.1 XB is my guess.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
For a bit of comparison on the Sonic Forces Sales, Generations made #10 in the UK all-formats chart in it's first week. http://www.tssznews.com/2011/11/07/uk-chart-track-shows-strong-start-for-sonic-generations/
Also, for those wondering about performance on the eShop, these are the standings in the US (not sure if best-sellers list is regional or worldwide):
Mario Odyssey is at #1
Sonic Forces is at #5
Doom is at #4 (it was at #3 yesterday)

It's per region. So the UK eShop Chart is different from US's one.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to your post, Xbone was selling at faster rate than PS4 during this year and last year. But that's not the case because PS4 outsold Xbone during whole 2016 ( outside November '16 IIRC, but PS4 wiped out that advantage next month ), and also according to this year PAL charts, PS4 dominated charts with average 60:40 ratio.

4.4 mil PS4 vs. 3.1 XB is my guess.

Pardon me?
According to my post, Ps4 sold 1.3 million between Jan 2016 and July 2017, while Xbox One did 800k. A ratio of 1.6:1.

That is selling at a faster rate.

Your numbers would be a ratio of 2:1 for that timeframe.

Last edited:

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pardon me?
According to my post, Ps 4 sold 1.3 million between Jan 2016 and July 2017, while Xbox One did 800k. A ratio of 1.6:1.

That is selling at a faster rate.

And 1.25: 1 is for which period then if you now said 1.6: 1? Because 1.6 to 1.25 jump means that Xbone reduced ratio or better to say, started selling at faster rate than PS4.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And 1.25: 1 is for which period? Because 1.6 to 1.25 jump means that Xbone reduced or better to say, started selling in faster rate.

1.25:1 is for the timeframe launch to end of 2015.
Ps4 is 1.25 and Xbox One is 1.

The ratio jumped from 1.25:1 to 1.6:1 in my estimates. That is an increase for the Ps4 not the Xbox One.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. Sorry, i missunderstood you. 1.6: 1 is then 4.4 mil. to 3.1 mil. then.

Those ratios are the average over a specific period of time.

4.4 million Ps4 and 3.1 million Xbox One would be a ratio of 1.4:1 lifetime.
If Ps4 was 3 million and Xbox One 2.4 million at the beginning of 2016 (a ratio of 1.25:1) , Ps4 had to sell 1.4 million and Xbox One 700,000 or a ratio of 2:1 during that period until July 2017.

In the Us something similar happened.
Ps4 outsold Xbox One 1.1:1 until the end of 2016.
During the first half of 2017 Ps4 outsold Xbox One roughly 2:1 and that increased the lifetime ratio to just 1.15:1.

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know in every country, but in France, a PS4/XO game is generally 70€ at game shops (Micromania...) They are cheaper on internet for sure but it's not the standard price. On Switch a lot of games are 50€.

I have noticed that Nintendo games in general are cheaper in France (at least from what I have seen on amazon.fr over the last couple of months). Even the Switch itself was 299€ at launch whereas elsewhere it was 329€.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Germany top 20 for October:

DOvysr7WkAAAH8L.jpg

- FIFA 08 continues to dominate the top of the charts
- AC:O makes a good debut at #2
- SMO comes in at third place
- GTS > SoW in Germany even as a console exclusive, perhaps the most suprising thing in the top 20
- Zelda: BotW re-enters the top 20 at #15. This is most likely because of a larger Switch shipment this month and new owners basically buy MK8D or Zelda on top of their SMO purchase.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
01 (01) CALL OF DUTY: WWII (ACTIVISION)
I'd normally moan about a CoD, but this is hands down best since MW.

03 (02) ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS (UBISOFT)
Again, like above. This is the best AC since AC2.

04 (NE) NEED FOR SPEED PAYBACK (EA GAMES)
Who is stupid enough to buy this? It's got loot box cards for parts instead of garages.

06 (04) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
I feel this should be higher. Especially with that BS Lootbox POS above.

07 (07) FORZA MOTORSPORT 7 (MICROSOFT)
08 (09) FORZA HORIZON 3 (MICROSOFT)
09 (05) GRAN TURISMO: SPORT ( SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
Wow. These are closer than I thought they would be. Might try GT Sport.

11 (10) MIDDLE-EARTH: SHADOW OF WAR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
Another loot box POS high in the charts. I refuse to buy it.

14 (06 WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
15 (16) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)
16 (23) DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
How are these amazing games lower than that EA money grabbing junk?

18 (08) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
19 (12) SOUTH PARK: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE (UBISOFT)
Reasonable spots.

22 (17) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
23 (NE) SUPER LUCKY'S TALE (MICROSOFT)
Crazy how BOTW is still this high. Luckys Tale is doing exactly how I thought it would. I'd expect it to be around 35 next week.

Dreadful, sadly.

32 (20) THE EVIL WITHIN 2 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
I expected this to be higher..

40 (39) 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
Wow. Surprised this is in the charts.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I have noticed that Nintendo games in general are cheaper in France (at least from what I have seen on amazon.fr over the last couple of months). Even the Switch itself was 299€ at launch whereas elsewhere it was 329€.
In Australia, switch games are usually $80 whilst PS4/XB1 games are usually $100 aswell. I think quite a few countries are like this, it was the same with wii u and Wii.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know in every country, but in France, a PS4/XO game is generally 70€ at game shops (Micromania...) They are cheaper on internet for sure but it's not the standard price. On Switch a lot of games are 50€.
Personally I have noticed that usually first party software is bit cheaper than most third party AAA games.Even on PS4 Sonys own games usually retail for 60€ here (Finland) even in ''expensive'' normal retail stores but then most third party stuff is between 60 and 70€. If Switch would get more third party AAA games released during the same day as PS4/Xbox One versions prices between versions would me most likely the same (especially as carts are more expensive to manufacture). Switch currenly selling mostly Nintendos first party games makes it seem like Switch games are cheaper than PS4/Xbox games.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Micromania are known for inflating their prices. You can get most new releases for 50/60€ at Leclerc for example.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Brunobabe,
Had some downtime today waiting for a meeting so I updated the header to include some small animations.

resetera-gifl9a7h.gif

Last edited:

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Eh, Micromania are known for inflating their prices. You can get most new releases for 50/60€ at Leclerc for example.
I don't have a "Centre Culturel Leclerc" near me so i can't really check, but i know they are really proactive in making great deals at lunch, but it's not only for PS4/XO, they do the same for Nintendo games.

Auchan or Carrefour have generally same prices than Micromania

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, let's discuss Skyrim on the Switch. The remasters on XB1/PS4 sold about 116k combined (quote from GAF):
Bruno MB said:
TOP 10 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 5 November 2016

01 (NE) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 328,000 / NEW
02 (01) BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 86,900 / 503,900 [-45%]
03 (03) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 56,100 / 1,631,500 [-11%]
04 (02) THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 54,600 / 170,800 [-53%]
05 (04) TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 18,300 / 49,300 [-41%]
06 (NE) FOOTBALL MANAGER 2017 (SEGA)
07 (19) SKYLANDERS IMAGINATORS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) [+131%]
08 (06) MAFIA III (TAKE 2)
09 (09) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
10 (10) FORZA HORIZON 3 (MICROSOFT)

We don't have a platform split for this, so we'll have to make do with this for predictions. So, what do you think Skyrim will do on the Switch next week?

I personally think that Skyrim will suffer from being the third versionthat came 1 year after the other remasters instead of being a remaster of a 5 year old game at the time. As such, its potential is lower than the potential for the other versions. Partially balancing this is of course the portability factor. In the end, then, considering Switch has not been the biggest success in the UK, I think it will do about 15k first week, which I consider to be a good result for the game. I'd be interested in hearing what you all think of the game's potential!

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
So, what do you think Skyrim will do on the Switch next week?

It would be nice to see Skyrim on the Switch hit around 20k, but 12-15k seems more realistic!

I thoroughly hope that it does better than those 3,000-ish copies of DOOM, which I maintain is a pretty ho-hum amount in all honesty. I personally believe that DOOM hasn't even reached 50,000 (around the world) after its first week on sale.

p.s. As for the 7.5 million units sold between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, I think it is 4.4 million PlayStation 4 and 3.1 million Xbox One. The latter console has been £200 or less nearly all year, and (its low price) doesn't seem to have made all that much difference.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, let's discuss Skyrim on the Switch. The remasters on XB1/PS4 sold about 116k combined (quote from GAF):

We don't have a platform split for this, so we'll have to make do with this for predictions. So, what do you think Skyrim will do on the Switch next week?

I personally think that Skyrim will suffer from being the third versionthat came 1 year after the other remasters instead of being a remaster of a 5 year old game at the time. As such, its potential is lower than the potential for the other versions. Partially balancing this is of course the portability factor. In the end, then, considering Switch has not been the biggest success in the UK, I think it will do about 15k first week, which I consider to be a good result for the game. I'd be interested in hearing what you all think of the game's potential!

I think Skyrim has a lot of pull and a very good reputation here but for the reasons you outlined very well I'm not expecting big numbers.

Haven't seen advertisements for this version either FWIW.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
10K-15K for Skyrim switch. Better than DOOM, but not much better. It's an old game game that already got remastered for its' target audience.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I personally believe that DOOM hasn't even reached 50,000 (around the world) after its first week on sale.
Hmm, I doubt that. UK has proven to be an understated region for the Switch (as in, it's not selling as well as it is elsewhere relative to PS4 and XB1), and UK represents less than 4% of total Switch owners, so I think DOOM will have done much better than 50k by now (I would think it's over 100k by now).

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017

Missing some ambition here, Zedark ;)

22.000 is my prediction. Even if it doesn't have a good FW I'm pretty sure it'll be the best seller from all the Bethesda games on Switch by a huge margin.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There's every chance it's done twice that number, as pointed out above.

Tying to extrapolate WW based solely on U.K. numbers for this system is futile.
Well, we have an example of a third party game on switch doing poorly in the UK and it translated into the same world wide with FIFA, EA isn't too hot on the switch last we heard.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Missing some ambition here, Zedark ;)

22.000 is my prediction. Even if it doesn't have a good FW I'm pretty sure it'll be the best seller from all the Bethesda games on Switch by a huge margin.
;)

22k would be a great result, hope you turn out to be right! I'm not confident because of the UK market specifically here, but maybe they surprise us in a positive way for once.

Well, we have an example of a third party game on switch doing poorly in the UK and it translated into the same world wide with FIFA, EA isn't too hot on the switch last we heard.
We also have an example of a game doing poorly in the UK and selling very well worldwide (Dragon ball Xenoverse 2). As for FIFA, it did absolutely terribly in its first week, while EA refused to call it bad or good in its financial briefing. That doesn't mean UK performance translated to worldwide performance. (What's more, FIFA is much more reliant on the European and UK market for success as it's most popular in EU. Nothing of the sort applies to Skyrim or DOOM afaik.)

Deleted member 62

Hmm, I doubt that. UK has proven to be an understated region for the Switch (as in, it's not selling as well as it is elsewhere relative to PS4 and XB1), and UK represents less than 4% of total Switch owners, so I think DOOM will have done much better than 50k by now (I would think it's over 100k by now).

While a more mature title like Doom may not do too well in the UK and Europe, where Nintendo markets the game more as a family-friendly system, the game could indeed do decently in the US. Do we know how the PS4/X1 versions did over there?

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Germany top 20 for October:

- FIFA 08 continues to dominate the top of the charts
- AC:O makes a good debut at #2
- SMO comes in at third place
- GTS > SoW in Germany even as a console exclusive, perhaps the most suprising thing in the top 20
- Zelda: BotW re-enters the top 20 at #15. This is most likely because of a larger Switch shipment this month and new owners basically buy MK8D or Zelda on top of their SMO purchase.

SMO> GTS is more surprising than GTS> SoW imo. GTS had 10 more days of sale.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
;)

22k would be a great result, hope you turn out to be right! I'm not confident because of the UK market specifically here, but maybe they surprise us in a positive way for once.

We also have an example of a game doing poorly in the UK and selling very well worldwide (Dragon ball Xenoverse 2). As for FIFA, it did absolutely terribly in its first week, while EA refused to call it bad or good in its financial briefing. That doesn't mean UK performance translated to worldwide performance. (What's more, FIFA is much more reliant on the European and UK market for success as it's most popular in EU. Nothing of the sort applies to Skyrim or DOOM afaik.)
Surly EA would have said something if they were pleased with the sales right? I expect similar results for Doom and somewhat Skyrim (I can see this one doing better due to how popular it is), both are old full priced ports.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The bulk of Skyrim sales will come from the US and it will do stupidly good over there. I am guessing >200k in its opening month and it might be even more. So its FW in the UK won't tell us much about the sales performance of the game.

However, LA Noire performance will be the most interesting to see. It is not an old port so we can compare the sales performance on the 3 platforms directly. Sonic did relatively good on Switch but you know it is Sonic. LA Noire has a different appeal and is a Rockstar game so its performance will be more telling on the viability of this type of games on Switch.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The bulk of Skyrim sales will come from the US and it will do stupidly good over there. I am guessing >200k in its opening month and it might be even more. So its FW in the UK won't tell us much about the sales performance of the game.

However, LA Noire performance will be the most interesting to see. It is not an old port so we can compare the sales performance on the 3 platforms directly. Sonic did relatively good on Switch but you know it is Sonic. LA Noire has a different appeal and is a Rockstar game so its performance will be more telling on the viability of this type of games on Switch.

FWIW, Skyrim Remaster sold incredibly well in the UK and the rest of Europe. You know because it's Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.