• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Do we dare estimate 40% digital or is that being too generous?
It's possible I guess, we know the UK is quite digital heavy. But I think the first not blowing people away, always being on sale (I got the Ultimate Edition for £4 for example) and the massive backlash might have actually done some real damage here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, people need to stop taking Switch sales in UK as any representative of how they're doing worldwide.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but to me would have made more sense to sell it at less than £30 and try and attract many more of the previous buyers who just wanted it to play on the move they would have sold many more I reckon to easily offset the reduced price, who knows was hoping they would bring Fallout to Switch not sure that will happen now.

You should not use the UK market to evaluate a Switch game performance. Xenoverse "bombed" there and managed to sell 400k in a month ;)

Oct 26, 2017
Again, don't judge the performance of X game by only looking at UK retail sales with no digital data.
For a lot of people here, "Destiny 2 bombed" when they look at the UK sales.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
At its most optimistic lense, we're talking digital adoption/ratio of 60%.

With that significant a retail drop, it's performing poorly enough that digital will not offset unit sales, even if they're more profitable due to digital.

Furthermore, to a certain extent, even sequels that do "on par" with the first game could be seen as under-performing. If a game is made with the hope of expanding the brand so that the franchise becomes bigger and more popular, Battlefront 2 has surely not expanded the audience. At best it retained 80-90% of the first game's player base.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that digital adoption had a rise lately on the UK. Not that any bomba could be saved but I'm almost sure that Battlefront II didn't sell 200.000 units less than Battlefront I when total sales are counted..

We'd have to take first Battlefront's digital sales into account too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...appointing-debut-for-star-wars-battlefront-ii

Several infos here. Among them:

L.A. Noire shares
51% PS4
28% Xbox One
20% Switch
That is a great share for Switch, a close third is definitely a great performance considering how established the other systems are already.

From the gamesindustry.biz article:

Perhaps a fairer comparison is with 2012's Black and White 2, which were sequels to a previous game, released on ageing hardware (back then, the DS). In comparison to those products, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon sales are up 32.4%. Of course, digital has grown significantly since then, and this only factors in physical sales.
Looks like these games did very well here in the UK.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The charts are up.

Skyrim Switch sold worse than PS VR Worlds, besides Skyrim VR. Such a shame.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's sales are 74% lower than last year's titles. Perhaps a fairer comparison is with 2012's Black and White 2, which were sequels to a previous game, released on ageing hardware (back then, the DS). In comparison to those products, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon sales are up 32.4%.

And more numbers here:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...appointing-debut-for-star-wars-battlefront-ii
Still not fair because BW2 are completely new games and 3DS had retrocompability. And even then USUM sold better.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on if the X is still doing good? Or too early for that? Really interested in if it can keep it's momentum.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, according to the individual charts Skyrim Switch is 1 position below GTAV PS4 sku. Does anyone have an idea what we should attribute to GTAV PS4 in terms of sales numbers?

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
We'd have to take first Battlefront's digital sales into account too.

Yep but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 40% digital with Battlefront I. Anyway, not saying that BFII didn't bomb because the drop is huge even if we take the most optimistic digital value but I was saying that there's more than "OMG, Battlefront II sold 200.000 units less than Battlefront I" as several quoted posts are saying here :P

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
But i thought every game was perfect for the Switch?
giphyd6j3r.gif

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yea there is no way digital will ever make up that massive gap in retail sales in just two years.

After recent examples I think we should be careful with dismissing digital numbers. It won't take it there, probably, but may be close.

And the drop may be people turned off from the first game more than anything else.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting to see Skyrim VR ahead of Skyrim on the Switch. Interesting. I at least expected it to perform better than DOOM.
Even if Skyrim does well in US, I wouldn't be surprised if it was outsold by Doom there too. Doom is more fresh and thre is less chances Switch users already played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.