• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
France week 48 is now up.
1. Call of Duty : World War II PS4 - Activision Blizzard
2. Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch - Nintendo
3. FIFA 18 PS4 - Electronic Arts
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Nintendo Switch - Nintendo
5. GTA V PS4 - Take-Two Interactive

Xenoblade 2 only 3rd in the top Switch games. I was expecting it to at least break the top 5 in France given the know love of the French market for Japanese games/anime.

MK8D and Odyssey are extremely popular right now. XC2 probably started above XCX (wich started at 16k and was at 40k two weeks later) but it's not enough to beat MK8D and Odyssey.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to keep in mind with France results is Nintendo France's internal projection of doubling install base since SMO release. I think on average that would require 40K Switch units sold per week. SMO would obviously be the main beneficiary of this expansions as it heads into the holiday but it's not surprising that MK8D is the other game getting a sizable boost during these weeks. In the UK for example it's expected MK8D to outsell MK8 lifetime sales early 2018. The situation for Nintendo in France is better MK8 had an attach rate of 85% in France and sold over 500K, if MK8D has an attach rate over 65% it will overtake MK8 lifetime sales before the end of the year.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing to keep in mind with France results is Nintendo France's internal projection of doubling install base since SMO release. I think on average that would require 40K Switch units sold per week. SMO would obviously be the main beneficiary of this expansions as it heads into the holiday but it's not surprising that MK8D is the other game getting a sizable boost during these weeks. In the UK for example it's expected MK8D to outsell MK8 lifetime sales early 2018. The situation for Nintendo in France is better MK8 had an attach rate of 85% in France and sold over 500K, if MK8D has an attach rate over 65% it will overtake MK8 lifetime sales before the end of the year.

Kinda insane how quickly 8D is going to overtake 8's LTD is many major territories. It could easily end up with like a 60-80% (possibly even double) boost over 8's total sales before 9's release which would put their combined sales at like well over 20 million. Not bad for the Polygon proven worst selling entry in the series :)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Also less than MK8D and GTA V. In UK it managed to beat GTA V on PS4 at least.

Again, without actual numbers we cannot say much from a Top 5. Keep in mind that:
  • GTAV and MK8 are selling constantly thanks to new hardware adopters. We know that sales of these two games directly correlate with hardware sales. During holidays, hardware sales increase and the sales of these games increase accordingly.
  • France considers SKU separately therefore Xenoblade 2 would likely appear with the collector's edition as well.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I sincerely hope that Nintendo does at least one or two more (4) track packs like they did with the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8. I honestly don't feel the need for a new Mario Kart game until Switch '2' or whatever the next Nintendo platform will be called.

Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda have already been done. How about Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid/Samus and Yoshi for their next selection?

Not bad for the Polygon proven worst selling entry in the series.

I have never shaked my head so hard upon seeing that pie chart for the first time. I actually thought it was a jokey meme kind of thing, but they were genuinely serious about it!

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda insane how quickly 8D is going to overtake 8's LTD is many major territories. It could easily end up with like a 60-80% (possibly even double) boost over 8's total sales before 9's release which would put their combined sales at like well over 20 million. Not bad for the Polygon proven worst selling entry in the series :)

MK8D, SMO, Zelda, Splatoon 2 are going to sell a ton this holiday just look at the respective Amazon Rankings in different countries for December:

Super Mario Odyssey:

France #4
US #1
Germany #1
UK #4
Canada #2

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
France #1
US #4
Germany #2
UK #6
Canada #3

Zelda Breath of the Wild:
France #8
US #7
Germany #11
UK #15
Canada #8 & #21(EE)

Splatoon 2:
France #6
US #15
Germany #16
UK #26
Canada #29

The overall trend should continue as we enter weeks leading up to Christmas and Switch supply and demand expands considerably.

France chart is revenue based?

Yes

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Again, without actual numbers we cannot say much from a Top 5. Keep in mind that:
  • GTAV and MK8 are selling constantly thanks to new hardware adopters. We know that sales of these two games directly correlate with hardware sales. During holidays, hardware sales increase and the sales of these games increase accordingly.
  • France considers SKU separately therefore Xenoblade 2 would likely appear with the collector's edition as well.

So people are buying a lot of Switches but they don't pick the newest 1st party game. I guess MK8D is just too hot.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Only UK folk will get this:

http://i./i/pix/2013/01/17/article-2263837-16FF7310000005DC-347_964x789.jpg

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France is also one of Nintendo's strongest markets, it is weird that the game couldn't chart there.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So people are buying a lot of Switches but they don't pick the newest 1st party game. I guess MK8D is just too hot.

Yes, they prefer to buy one of the most popular video game franchises of all time which can be played alone and with family/friends alike over a relatively niche jRPG: news at 11. Anyway, without numbers we cannot say anything meaningful about XC2 sales.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, if not weird you say this. Because well, absolutely. Mario Kart is a phenomon franchise with a 30 million units sales potential. Xenoblade 2 is JRPG, aka niche game, first party or not.

I'm not talking about lifetime sales here though. We are talking about the launch week of X2. Wouldn't it be expected that the people who have an interest in it to be the ones picking up Switches? But I guess it's just people doing early Christmas shopping.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart is for Nintendo consoles what GTA V is for the other consoles. It's an evergreen title with nearly infinite legs. Almost every new console owner will buy the game with the console.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be surprising if MK8D is selling 20K per week in France during December. As I mentioned earlier the average sales per week for the Switch in November/December should be 40K to hit their 400K target. But in France November isn't as important as it is in the US, so the supply will definetly be larger in December compared to November so even for the first week of December it's possible they are selling 50K Switches. If MK8D maintained its 65% attach rate that it had when they gave the last sales number update in October it would mean it might be selling around 30K per week in December. Just a reminder there were 400K Switches sold before SMO launched and MK8D had sold 260K leading to the 65% attach rate figure I had outlined above.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a play on the 'only 90s kids will get this' meme.

Or maybe it's a commentary on how as a country we can't cope when the weather is anything other than dull and drizzly.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
London-snow_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.PNG

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The UK news are out:

In a quiet week for new releases, Activision Blizzard's 'Call of Duty: WWII' (-41%) retains the No1 spot yet again in the All Formats Chart, giving it 6 weeks in a row at the top.

It is the longest unbroken run at No1 since Black Ops 3. EA still have 2 titles in the Top 5 with 'Fifa 18' retaining the No2 spot (-58%) and 'Star Wars Battlefront II' climbing one place into No3 (-22%). There are two new entries that make the Top 40 this week: 'Rocket League: Collector's Edition' now through Warner Bros. at No21 and Gearbox Publishing's 'Hello Neighbor' debuting at No37. Elsewhere in the charts, re-entries for Nintendo's 'Miitopia' (+2%) at No36 and 'Mario Kart 7' (-13%) at No35 gives Nintendo a total of 8 titles in the Top 40 with its highest at No4 – 'Super Mario Odyssey (-25%).

The chart too

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I got it (yay) but I've noticed in the last 5-10 years panic buying bread happens a lot less now people are used to shops being open nearly all time.

France week 48 is now up.
1. Call of Duty : World War II PS4 - Activision Blizzard
2. Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch - Nintendo
3. FIFA 18 PS4 - Electronic Arts
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Nintendo Switch - Nintendo
5. GTA V PS4 - Take-Two Interactive

So GT Sport fell out quick while in the UK it remained for two weeks.

While GTA is still selling and all that, usually it would chart high in the summer then get bumped down Nov/Dec. Doesn't seem like a good sign for other game sales if GTA is fifth in week 48.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got it (yay) but I've noticed in the last 5-10 years panic buying bread happens a lot less now people are used to shops being open nearly all time.

So GT Sport fell out quick while in the UK it remained for two weeks.

While GTA is still selling and all that, usually it would chart high in the summer then get bumped down Nov/Dec. Doesn't seem like a good sign for other game sales if GTA is fifth in week 48.
its out of Top 10 in its 3rd week?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Mario+Rabbids charting well whenever Switch games get a bump (due to hardware sales I assume).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

You are underestimating GTA V. In December, when there are few games releasing, evergreens like GTA V are climbing the charts.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
its out of Top 10 in its 3rd week?

Not sure what you're saying.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I was talking about GT Sport re-entering the charts, the whole big price cut thing that's been talked out.

In the UK it shot back in the charts with a huge figure and stayed third the following week so two weeks in total after the price drop. France GT Sport only lasted a week in the top 5 after the price cut. France chart is a week behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.