• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Xbox One "console exclusive" just like Titanfall 1 or Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Could also be called "not on Playstation console" games.

I do consider Street Fighter 5, Persona 5 or Crash also as Playstation 4 exclusives.

Ok. You didn't say "console exclusive" you said PUBG was an "Xbox One exclusive", which it isn't.

Also, you do know that ROTR is available on the PS4, right?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
There are some success stories, I'm not saying there are none.

But overall 3rd party software, as is often the case, is struggling on the Switch. Indies and those that made it within the launch window found the most success, but there is as always a huge gulf in sales between 3rd party games and 1st party on Nintendo hardware.
Not sure which 3rd party software on Switch you are referring to when you say that?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok. You didn't say "console exclusive" you said PUBG was an "Xbox One exclusive", which it isn't.

To be fair I think the majority of people on this forum know what it means when someone says exclusive. We are all educated and gone over this point tons of time. Just like he said, he considers SF V, Persona 5 as playstation exclusives.

I think it's an absolutely insane number for a console exclusive that is a piece of card in a box, this isn't a game you can trade in thats a one use code. I am wondering if it can continue with momentum though, I just can't see it myself but it would be pretty crazy to see if it stays in the charts.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So has Xbox x had any effect on multiplats? People switching over and all that.
Can't say for certain but those splits are much closer then usual. May be because theres an upswing in sales due to it being December, but MS must be happy with better then usual performance.

Usually 65-35 split in favour of PS, the biggest 3rd party games this and last week seems to be closer. Also, this is the first time Assassin's Creed PS4 share has been higher (which is pretty good as its ine of the Xbox bundles available).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't say for certain but those splits are much closer then usual. May be because theres an upswing in sales due to it being December, but MS must be happy with better then usual performance.

Usually 65-35 split in favour of PS, the biggest 3rd party games this and last week seems to be closer. Also, this is the first time Assassin's Creed PS4 share has been higher (which is pretty good as its ine of the Xbox bundles available).

Is this actually true, do we have evidence to prove that multiplats usually saw a bigger gap?

Would be interesting to see hard data.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But overall 3rd party software, as is often the case, is struggling on the Switch. Indies and those that made it within the launch window found the most success, but there is as always a huge gulf in sales between 3rd party games and 1st party on Nintendo hardware.

I'm sure there isn't a huge gulf between Minecraft and Nintendo games. Outside of Switch's four major titles: MK8D, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey - I don't think any 1st party title has actually outsold it WW. Just goes to show that certain games can sell extremely well on the Switch. Minecraft being at a lower price has no doubt helped it as it has dominated the Switch eShop charts for over 6 months.
Outside of Minecraft, Skyrim, Doom, FIFA 18 and NBA18 I wouldn't really say that there have been major 3rd party titles launching on the system. Outside of FIFA 18 and Minecraft the other titles aren't even released in Switch's second biggest market. Japan's gaming audience prefers portable and mobile gaming so although Western 3rd Party ports might be late, perform worse or have fewer features it still represents an opportunity. Next year will be the first time Skyrim & Doom are released in Japan on a portable gaming platform it will be interesting to see how they and Mario & Rabbids do. I'm sure other western publishers will also be keeping track of sales because potential >20M audience is difficult to ignore especially an audience susceptible of spending great amounts on gaming.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes ofc. But it wasn't when the game launched.
Just like Crash will be on Xbox One in the future. Just like Persona 5 was on Ps3 first. Just like Street Fighter 5 is also on PC.
That is exactly the reason i gave those examples.

Single Platform exclusives for lifetime are close to non existent these days aynmore. So its wasted effort to argue about it and make all those destinctions.
We should get rid of the term completely. And yes also most or all Ps4 exclusives won't be Ps4 exclusives anymore in the future when you can play them on the Ps5.
Or just like you can play Ps3 exclusives on the PC now via PS Now or Mario Kart 8 and Zelda are no single platform exclusives. Nintendo virtual console.

It's a mess and the term should die for good.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just like Crash will be on Xbox One in the future. Just like Persona 5 was on Ps3 first. Just like Street Fighter 5 is also on PC.

Single Platform exclusives for lifetime are close to non existent these days aynmore. So its wasted effort to argue about it and make all those destinctions.
We should get rid of the term completely. And yes also most or all Ps4 exclusives won't be Ps4 exclusives anymore in the future when you can play them on the Ps5.
Or just like you can play Ps3 exclusives on the PC now via PS Now or Mario Kart 8 and Zelda are no single platform exclusives. Nintendo virtual console.

Ok, then. I completely disagree with you.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure which 3rd party software on Switch you are referring to when you say that?

Anything from Western major publishers

Skyrim, DOOM, NBA 2K, FIFA, WWE 2K, etc.

None of them are moving a major amount of units. I guess Just Dance is doing alright.

I'm not at all surprised it's upsetting some people but I assure you I'm not the only one in sales with this opinion

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

None of them are moving a major amount of units. I guess Just Dance is doing alright.

I'm not at all surprised it's upsetting some people but I assure you I'm not the only one in sales with this opinion

Take 2 said that they were extremely pleased with 2K18 sales, I guess that's the more important thing.

Just dance Switch is the best selling SKU according to Ubisoft.

We don't have a lot of data for Skyrim. Slow start in the UK around 6k FW, but over 100k for its first 10 days in the US. Those are retail sales only. It also topped the e-shop worldwide.

Like I said earlier, LA Noire did well compared to the other versions and can be the 2nd best selling SKU. What's your conclusion on this ?

Doom had a slow start it is true but it was the same with DBX2 and it sold very well.

I talked about Fifa earlier and WWE2k18 released lately on Switch without much coverage.

It all comes down to expectations and at the exception of EA, I didn't hear about a publisher remotely disappointed on its games sales on Switch, on the contrary.
We will be able to fully judge the Switch when big western games releases on it on the same day as the other platforms (at the exception of sports franchises that grow with time).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Are you referring specifically to UK or in general? Don't think it was explicitly stated before, and I'm not sure which you are referring to. If I'm not mistaken, Take-Two said they were happy with NBA 2K sales for Switch, for example, so that one seems to be doing well worldwide at least.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

You are talking UK/EU (this being a PAL thread), right? Not to mention that 2 of these are extra late yet full priced ports, one of these Take 2 said they were happy with, and the other (WWE 2K) was several weeks (or was it a month) late appearer (and a very bad port to boot from what I heard). Which leaves us with Fifa, unfortunate but not something I would draw over reaching conclusions from.

Last edited:

Wise

Oct 27, 2017

Crash isn't 100% confirmed for Xbox One.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

If we're talking about UK, I can perfectly see your point for FIFA 18, and its sales raise a good concern about the platform's ability to sell big community-based GaaS, even if Rocket League is doing very well on the eShop. But...I don't think picking up WWE 2K18 helps your argument: it's a months-late, non-promoted (the release date has been announced a few days before its release), extremely-botched version of the game, it's not a good reference for Western third party sales on a Nintendo system. Not in the status it was released.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

Rubbish. The games in the top ten this week (shooters, sports games and GTAV) were never the ones that had 65-35 splits, they were always much closer. The biggest difference this year are the FIFA PS4 and AC:O XB1 bundles, which are skewing both splits in the same way the FIFA XB1 and AC:S PS4 bundles did in previous years.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Traditionally yes Nintendo 1st party SW performs well on Nintendos platforms but let's not change history here. Outside of a couple of platforms (like the wii U which was a total failure) 3rd parties sell more than 1st parties on Nintendos platforms.

Honestly what was really expected? Nintendo went all out and released some of their biggest hitters. Not only that but they knocked them out of the park with 2 of them being front runners for GOTY. Meanwhile they're mostly competing with super late ports from 3rd parties. Nintendo was always going to sell the most SW this year.

This is such a low quality shit post. Not only do you attempt to stir people up but you also not so subtlety accuse them of being fanboys in the same breath.

You also did nothing to back up your argument but instead just used an appeal to authority. "I assure you I'm not the only one with this opinion". I assure you that their are plenty who don't as well. Ok now we're at impasse, what great discussion!

You've shown no data, very little logic and don't name the supposed people or devs/pubs who supposedly back up your position.

At least the people arguing against you are attempting to give specific examples and date for their position.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, what's up with the attacks on Benji? Being in the UK PAL thread, I would agree with his assessment. The 3rd party software performance from Western devs vs 1st that has been releasing is definitely nothing to be parading about. Outside of FIFA, what has the games he mentioned been doing since their launches compared to PS4/XB1 counterparts?

Also, I take Take-Two's comment of being pleased with NBA2K's sales as PR. It is the same vein of EA being happy with FIFA sales, but don't release nothing else for the platform or having anything else in the pipeline for Switch.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, what's up with the attacks on Benji? Being in the UK PAL thread, I would agree with his assessment. The 3rd party software performance from Western devs vs 1st that has been releasing is definitely nothing to be parading about. Outside of FIFA, what has the games he mentioned been doing since their launches compared to PS4/XB1 counterparts?

Also, I take Take-Two's comment of being pleased with NBA2K's sales as PR. It is the same vein of EA being happy with FIFA sales, but don't release nothing else for the platform or having anything else in the pipeline for Switch.

Attacks? I have only seen one attack and I agree that one is embarrassing. The other replies are legitimate objections.

Again, most of the 3rd party games released on the Switch are old ports released at full price or inferior versions.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville

One of the attacks was uncalled for. Also how is saying "very pleased with performance" a bad thing in PR?

Oct 25, 2017
Traditionally yes Nintendo 1st party SW performs well on Nintendos platforms but let's not change history here. Outside of a couple of platforms (like the wii U which was a total failure) 3rd parties sell more than 1st parties on Nintendos platforms.

Honestly what was really expected? Nintendo went all out and released some of their biggest hitters. Not only that but they knocked them out of the park with 2 of them being front runners for GOTY. Meanwhile they're mostly competing with super late ports from 3rd parties. Nintendo was always going to sell the most SW this year.

This is such a low quality shit post. Not only do you attempt to stir people up but you also not so subtlety accuse them of being fanboys in the same breath.

You also did nothing to back up your argument but instead just used an appeal to authority. "I assure you I'm not the only one with this opinion". I assure you that their are plenty who don't as well. Ok now we're at impasse, what great discussion!

You've shown no data, very little logic and don't name the supposed people or devs/pubs who supposedly back up your position.

At least the people arguing against you are attempting to give specific examples and date for their position.

What's funny is that one guy has access to sales data and the rest of us mostly don't. But somehow the former is engaging in low quality shitposts according to you.

Huh.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So has Xbox x had any effect on multiplats? People switching over and all that.
PUBG selling really, really well :p

Tbf, I can't imagine many people who have an X were buying the PS4 versions of multiplats prior. I'd imagine most people with an X were die hard Xbox fans in the first place which means a tiny change, if any to the swing of things. That and there isn't a huge user base to change any tides.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I'm assuming people are talking about my post as the attack on Benji. I'm not sure what qualifies it as such. I just find it annoying that sales discussions do often devolve into baiting and implying others are biased rather than actually discussing data and applying logic to it.

What's funny is that one guy has access to sales data and the rest of us mostly don't. But somehow the former is engaging in low quality shitposts according to you.

Huh.

What sales data does he actually have access to?

It's irrelevant anyway. It doesn't matter if he's the CEO of activision, I'd still say that's a very poor quality post that does nothing but stifle discussion. Other posters are raising genuine objections to his position and the response is basically baiting and accusing them of being fanboys.

I'm not going to continue with this argument anyway as it's exactly what I don't like in these threads. They should be about discussing the data not the supposed predispositions of various posters.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

1 post does not constitute attacks lol.

Any how, If Take Two says they are cool with NBA sales I don't see any real reason to discredit it. If they said they were unhappy would you discredit it? Let the multi million dollar corporations speak for themselves. They don't have any reason to lie on new system performance.

Anyway, I don't feel the UK 3rd party stuff on Switch has performed well. I don't even think a lot of the first party stuff has done amazing. But it's one market that is relatively weak for Nintendo compared to others given its size. Crash Bandicoot is apparently bigger than Mario if you go buy the UK.

I'm not expecting Switch's UK performance to be great either way.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming people are talking about my post as the attack on Benji. I'm not sure what qualifies it as such. I just find it annoying that sales discussions do often devolve into baiting and implying others are biased rather than actually discussing data and applying logic to it.

What sales data does he actually have access to?

It's irrelevant anyway. It doesn't matter if he's the CEO of activision, I'd still say that's a very poor quality post that does nothing but stifle discussion. Other posters are raising genuine objections to his position and the response is basically baiting and accusing them of being fanboys.

I'm not going to continue with this argument anyway as it's exactly what I don't like in these threads. They should be about discussing the data not the supposed predispositions of various posters.

Yeah... Objections that largely constitute people coming up with excuses for the games and saying "but eshop."

That's not to say a few valid points haven't been raised but let's not pretend the people have refuted what he has said because of conjecture and speculation.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
3rd party sales on Nintendo platforms except some cases (Just Dance for example) trend to be lower than MS or Sony 3rd sales.

There is nothing wrong with what Benji said.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Attacks? I have only seen one attack and I agree that one is embarrassing. The other replies are legitimate objections.

Again, most of the 3rd party games released on the Switch are old ports released at full price or inferior versions.

One of the attacks was uncalled for. Also how is saying "very pleased with performance" a bad thing in PR?

Ok I shouldn't say "attacks" as that last ugly post was just bad for no reason.

Now to the other points:

Yes, the older ports are either full price or inferior versions, but relative to the 1st party output, they are not showing up on individual or all formats charts. Then on the Nintendo charts they aren't charting high. I don't care what you think the factors are, but the numbers don't lie to make a statement that 3rd party software is struggling on the Switch. Someone might have a problem with the word "struggle", but the counter to that is what is defined as "it sold well".

I also never stated that "pleased with performance" is bad PR, but it is PR. The sales milestones of NBA2K and DBXV2, for example, are WW, not isolated to PAL/UK.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for use of "attacks". I didn't mean to include the legitimate debates to be lumped into one.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah... Objections that largely constitute people coming up with excuses for the games and saying "but eshop."

That's not to say a few valid points haven't been raised but let's not pretend the people have refuted what he has said because of conjecture and speculation.

I'm not saying his point has been refuted. I'm saying he has done little to back up his position and that specific post I quoted was a terrible way to continue a discussion. It basically questions the intentions of those posters whilst providing no real argument except an appeal to authority (an unnamed authority at that).

3rd party sales on Nintendo platforms except some cases (Just Dance for example) trend to be lower than MS or Sony 3rd sales.

There is nothing wrong with what Benji said.

The comparison I was talking about suggested that 3rd party sales lagged behind Nintendos 1sr party sales, not 3rd party sales on other platforms. That generally hasn't been true.

I don't think it's possible to argue that MS and Sonys platforms haven't been much stronger for 3rs parties. They clearly have been and continue to be.

I just want to see arguments backed up with data and some sort of logic applied to it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I shouldn't say "attacks" as that last ugly post was just bad for no reason.

Now to the other points:

Yes, the older ports are either full price or inferior versions, but relative to the 1st party output, they are not showing up on individual or all formats charts. Then on the Nintendo charts they aren't charting high. I don't care what you think the factors are, but the numbers don't lie to make a statement that 3rd party software is struggling on the Switch. Someone might have a problem with the word "struggle", but the counter to that is what is defined as "it sold well".

I also never stated that "pleased with performance" is bad PR, but it is PR. The sales milestones of NBA2K and DBXV2, for example, are WW, not isolated to PAL/UK.

The UK represents less than 5% of the Switch owners given the last numbers that we got in September. We must then be careful with our analysis because the sample isn't representative.

Plus I gave actual data a few posts back. In November, we got 2 games releasing day and date on all 3 platforms : Sonic and LA Noire. Two very different game, you'll admit.

Sonic Switch was the 2nd best selling SKU and LA noire represented 20% of the overall sales (the XB1 version, 28%). Given that I am not seeing how the Switch is struggling compared to the other versions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying his point has been refuted. I'm saying he has done little to back up his position and that specific post I quoted was a terrible way to continue a discussion. It basically questions the intentions of those posters whilst providing no real argument except an appeal to authority (an unnamed authority at that).

The comparison I was talking about suggested that 3rd party sales lagged behind Nintendos 1sr party sales, not 3rd party sales on other platforms. That generally hasn't been true.

I don't think it's possible to argue that MS and Sonys platforms haven't been much stronger for 3rs parties. They clearly have been and continue to be.

I just want to see arguments backed up with data and some sort of logic applied to it.

Terrible way to continue a discussion? Provide data?

Lol

We are in a PAL thread where we have data on on Switch third party titles not performing well. Why does he need to provide more data?

Because people don't like the conclusions being drawn?

Deleted member 62

Just to make sure, are we talking about Europe in general or just the market in UK?

In general, the sales trends for Switch games in the UK are very similar to those in the rest of Europe. It's not always the same: Xenoblade did relatively better in France than in the UK, whereas Doom did relatively better in the UK than in Germany. But the general trend is the same: you see games such as Mario and Zelda do extremely well, while games such as Siberia aren't (just to name the two extremes).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Benji didn't make a controversial point if you observe UK sales. Only 1st party SW games are charting.

It would be weird if not, or if third party games would have sold much closer to first party games hence appearing on charts. On the one hand, two of the most highly regarded games of all time and Mario Kart—on the other hand, late portings of 2 to 6 year old games and sport games that have either sold well (NBA, as said by the developer) or a constant and increasing fraction of total sales like FIFA.

Also, by looking at UK charts would you have thought XenoVerse 2 sold 400k units on Switch worldwide in two months?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

No. It's 40+ degrees where I live and I'm hot as fuck. Thankfully I'm in air conditioning now.

Terrible way to continue a discussion? Provide data?

Lol

We are in a PAL thread where we have data on on Switch third party titles not performing well. Why does he need to provide more data?

Because people don't like the conclusions being drawn?

Because people are providing counter arguments. That's how discussions work. Other posters have brought up examples that differ from what Benji was saying. Rather than actually discuss those points or say why he feels differently he just dismissed their arguments as being biased.

He doesn't need to provide more public data. I'm talking about using the data where given and making examples with that. I don't expect him to actually release more dates then we have access to, not sure if I just didn't make myself clear there.

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's 40+ degrees where I live and I'm hot as fuck. Thankfully I'm in air conditioning now.

Because people are providing counter arguments. That's how discussions work. Other posters have brought up examples that differ from what Benji was saying. Rather than actually discuss those points or say why he feels differently he just dismissed their arguments as being biased.

He doesn't need to provide more public data. I'm talking about using the data where given and making examples with that. I don't expect him to actually release more dates then we have access to, not sure if I just didn't make myself clear there.

Where did he dismiss people for being biased exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.