• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Which ones exactly? Also what does that mean for total 3rd party sales?

There have been some failures (massive ones in the saw of FIFA 18), there have been some decent performances and there have been some successes. Actually breaking it down and discussing these points is what makes a conversation.

I feel like we're kind of retreading the old arguments from the wii generation. Which 3rd parties games have actually sold less than would have been expected? Most of them are late ports are low budget efforts. There is so little to judge switch 3rd party sales on. Comparing that to sales juggernaughts like Mario kart, Mario and Zelda doesn't tell us anything.

Let's look at some examples.

FIFA 18 - clearly a massive disappointment. It was released at the same time as the other consoles and it's a decent port (though it's online is pretty awful).

Skyrim - it's a port of a 6 year old game which is available on 360, PS3, PS4 and xbone and has been for years. It also sold really well on PC. Not only that but it was just ported again last year. It was never going to move huge numbers on switch. It seems to have had a good start in the US and has performed well on the eshop. It's pretty hard to judge without knowing expectations and exactly how much it has sold.

WWE - as stated above it's a terrible port and was also late. It was never going to perform well.

NBA2K - we have PR saying the pub was happy with its sales. Sure it's PR and could be misleading but it's hard to use it as an example when the people who made it said it performed well.

Doom - Yet another late port. It's hard to be excited about a game releasing a year late which is a downgrade on the original (even though yes it's portable). It's sales are no doubt disappointing but that's what you get with late ports.

LA Noire - It sold 20% opening week just behind the xbone version in the UK where the switch hasn't been overly strong. Not a breakout success but it didn't perform any worse than other platforms.

Sonic - performed better on switch I believe. Hard to ask for more.

Minecraft - appears to have strong sales on the eshop. Without data it's impossible to judge though.

SFII - massive success that has sold far more than it ever deserves to.

Bomberman - a pretty average entry in a franchise that isn't a big seller. Again it sold far better than anyone would have expected.

Xeno verse - seemingly had a slow start but has went on to post very good numbers and continues to show strong legs.

Mario and rabbids - Massive success that looks set to be a multi million seller. It did use a Nintendo IP so I can see why it would be discounted.

Looking at that list I agree it's hardly been a breakthrough in terms of 3rd party sales. Looking at the games that have released should we have expected much more?

I understand big companies like EA not clamouring to jump on board. I don't expect the switch to suddenly receive all the big 3rd party games. I do think there are some promising results there and at least enough to entice some 3rd parties to want to support the switch.

seems a good summary.
UK market for western publisers switch games still seems pretty disappointing, while other markets or other publishers (from the Japanese ones like Bandai with Xeno or Capcom with Street Fighter, to the Indie ones) seems to have found very positive results.
In general, it seems that big AAA western games aren't finding the success related to the usual AAA western games, but at the same time it is pretty obvious that apart from FIFA (that to me is THE disappointment so far) there has been no real AAA western game published on the console. Late ports are the vast majority of the contents seen. The other game that arrived at the same time is NBA, I think, and "k was happy about the result, so...

For the record US sales for Western pubs on Switch seem quite a bit better in the US from the public data.
I'm still not impressed with it on that front but it seems to be a better situation than the UK at least

Well yes the UK market clearly is the hardest one for the Switch so far.
Not the EU one, but the UK one. I think that in France and Germany the general results has been better, with decent results in the US.

(just talking about third party phisical software here, of course)

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
SWBF1 also reached the Gold award in its opening month, and reached the platinum award in December. We'LL see if SWBF2 can do the same.

Splatoon 2 finally reached 100k! Splatoon on Wii U got its gold award in the month of September, so about the same time as Splatoon 2.

SMO continues to sell well, and gets the platinum award to show for it. Will it get the sonderpreis (500k) as well? It might, unless they stop tracking games after a period of time.
They hand out the awards for the Sales within 12 Months. I wouldn't say it's impossible though

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
ITALY CHART

Top 10 console

1. CALL OF DUTY WW II (PlayStation 4)
2. FIFA 18 (PlayStation 4)
3. SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (Nintendo Switch)
4. ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS (PlayStation 4)
5. POKEMON ULTRASOLE (Nintendo 3DS)
6. TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE (PlayStation 4)
7. GTA V GRAND THEFT AUTO (PlayStation 4)
8. JUST DANCE 2018 (Wii)
9. MINECRAFT (PlayStation 4)
10. CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (PlayStation 4)

Top 10 PC

1. OVERWATCH GAME OF THE YEAR
2. CALL OF DUTY WW II
3. DIABLO III BATTLE CHEST
4. THE SIMS 4
5. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2018 LIMITED EDITION
6. DESTINY 2
7. CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS II
8. GTA V GRAND THEFT AUTO
9. CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 3
10. CALL OF DUTY 4 MODERN WARFARE

https://multiplayer.it/notizie/1927...-odyssey.html?comment_page=1#comment_c6633527

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we would get weekly data from other countries than just UK. I mean the BIU awards from Germany are cool and such but we still don't know how much SMO sold exactly. It could be sitting at 220k but it could also be really close to 500k since it's the 2nd best selling game on Amazon Germany (individual SKU).

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
German BIU Sales Awards for November 2017: https://www.biu-online.de/blog/2017...sten-computer-und-videospiele-in-deutschland/
  • Call of Duty: WWII (PS4) >500K
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (PS4) >200K
  • Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) >200K
  • Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) >200K
  • Call of Duty: WWII (XB1) >100K
  • F1 2017 (PS4) >100K
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4) >100K
  • Need for Speed: Payback (PS4) >100K
  • Splatoon 2 (Switch) >100K
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (PS4) >100K

Call of Duty WW2 what a juggernaut across the whole planet.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't know it took this long for Splatoon 2 to get 100k award in germany (about same time as for original). In Japan Splatoon really took off with its sequel but in west it seems to follow the same sales pattern as original. I mean still decent but could have done more (looking at Japan).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
So FIFA is called a horrible failure on Switch? I think its doing very respectable numbers. I must be out of my mind lol. You know, just because it didnt sell a huge amount of copies right out of the gate doesnt mean it failed. Its legging like crazy everywhere and will do respectable numbers when all is said and done. Its basically acting as a new popular IP on the Switch yet on other platforms, its performing like a well eatablished and liked IP. I wonder why that is lol.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
I actually didn't know it took this long for Splatoon 2 to get 100k award in germany (about same time as for original). In Japan Splatoon really took off with its sequel but in west it seems to follow the same sales pattern as original. I mean still decent but could have done more (looking at Japan).

It didn't grow the same way it did in Japan, but the original Splatoon was also budget price (40 €) in Europe, while Splatoon 2 costs the regular 60 €. No idea how it performs in the US.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

We'll have more data with Nintendo's next financial report. We already know that it sold more than 2M in the West in a little more than 2 months. The legs will determine how much growth it has compared to the first one.

Compared to the original, Splatoon 2 has the same pattern in the West than in Japan, it is reaching the first one LTD right now. The difference is the scale of Splatoon's success, huge in Japan, only good in the West.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Edit: Sorry lelouch, quoted you by accident.

Hmm, that doesn't really rhyme with the numbers reported by Nintendo, though. They had Splatoon 2 at 3.61 million shipped, of which 2.05 million overseas. Comparing to Splatoon 1 (and taking the second quarter because the first one was sorteren than 2's), 1 shipped 1.56 million units in 4 months, versus the 2.05 million of Splatoon 2 in 2 and a bit months. Unless 2 was largely overshipped, there is reason to expect its sales to be quite a bit higher than 1's, even if it's not the case in Germany.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch should outsell Xbox One in Europe by 2018s end or early 2019, Germany, France and Spain within months most likely.

I mean look at that Software sales on Nintendo Switch.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switch has a better digital rate than Wii U so far, that can explain the Splatoon growth.
Switch should outsell Xbox One in Europe by 2018s end or early 2019, Germany, France and Spain within months most likely.

UK alone will slow this. Expect 2020 or late 2019.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah splatoon 2s growth has primarily been driven by Japan. Still it will see decent growth in the west as well and lifetime will improve by a few million over the original which is pretty decent. It has the potential to become a 10+ million selling franchise which is pretty awesome for Nintendo to be able to add to their normal list of heavy hitters.

Thanks to Japan the switch will rapidly catch up to the xbone WW as well.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch has a better digital rate than Wii U so far, that can explain the Splatoon growth.

UK alone will slow this. Expect 2020 or late 2019.

Yeah UK is the "problem", without the UK 2018 is a lock.

Yeah splatoon 2s growth has primarily been driven by Japan. Still it will see decent growth in the west as well and lifetime will improve by a few million over the original which is pretty decent. It has the potential to become a 10+ million selling franchise which is pretty awesome for Nintendo to be able to add to their normal list of heavy hitters.

Thanks to Japan the switch will rapidly catch up to the xbone WW as well.

Yeah it should be really quick before Switch gets the 2nd spot, awesome.

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't grow the same way it did in Japan, but the original Splatoon was also budget price (40 €) in Europe, while Splatoon 2 costs the regular 60 €. No idea how it performs in the US.

Price is is good point. Didn't remember original having budget price in Europe.

We'll have more data with Nintendo's next financial report. We already know that it sold more than 2M in the West in a little more than 2 months. The legs will determine how much growth it has compared to the first one.

Compared to the original, Splatoon 2 has the same pattern in the West than in Japan, it is reaching the first one LTD right now. The difference is the scale of Splatoon's success, huge in Japan, only good in the West.

I mean we should be wiser after next financials report. Still I don't agree that it has same pattern in west and Japan. In Japan its sales are clearly limited by stock of Switch. Every week with better supply situation for Switch sees big increase for Splatoon 2. If Switch had had unlimited stock in Japan Splatoon 2 would be way beyond the original already. In west Splatoon 2 is nowhere to be seen in current charts while the usual suspects go up and down depending on the week (Mario Kart, Odyssey, Zelda).

Edit: Sorry lelouch, quoted you by accident.

Hmm, that doesn't really rhyme with the numbers reported by Nintendo, though. They had Splatoon 2 at 3.61 million shipped, of which 2.05 million overseas. Comparing to Splatoon 1 (and taking the second quarter because the first one was sorteren than 2's), 1 shipped 1.56 million units in 4 months, versus the 2.05 million of Splatoon 2 in 2 and a bit months. Unless 2 was largely overshipped, there is reason to expect its sales to be quite a bit higher than 1's, even if it's not the case in Germany.

Well we know it sold little over 330k first month in retail in US. Still charted in top 5 in August and 18th place in september but after that left the overall Top 20. Maybe it's somewhat over 1 million by now in US with digital (?). Considering 100k from Germany and under that from UK that over 2 million seems pretty overshipped for west (especially as it's already december and those were shipped by end of september). I guess we shall see.

10 million is pretty tall order. Really depends just how well it in the end does in Japan (like if it does over 5 million in Japan maybe it could hit 10 million globally)

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone does know if Nintendo do provide the BIU with digital sales for the awards?
We know GFK just strack retail, but often platformholder or publisher provide digital sales to reach those milestones.
Sony does it and as of late Microsoft didn't (at least i never read about it).
So how is Nintendo handling this? I'm aware Nintendo digital sales on Switch are not that big of a factor yet, but i would be still good to know.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone does know if Nintendo do provide the BIU with digital sales for the awards?
We know GFK just strack retail, but often platformholder or publisher provide digital sales to reach those milestones.
Sony does it and as of late Microsoft didn't (at least i never read about it).
So how is Nintendo handling this? I'm aware Nintendo digital sales on Switch are not that big of a factor yet, but i would be still good to know.

I think Nintendo does provide BIU with digital sales, atleast they did in 2015 for the original Splatoon going by this list (september):
https://www.biu-online.de/wp-conten..._Auflistung_aller_Awards_nach_Monaten2015.pdf
Probably hasn't changed since then.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Small report from France : Super Mario Odyssey is facing supply issues.

I went to my local shop (Fnac) and was shocked to not find SMO on stock. By the way the 5 best selling games were (MK8D, Just Dance, Splatoon , Zelda and Fifa in this order).

So I went home to check whether it was an exceptional situation.

It is out of stock on Amazon : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B072KJWYL9/?tag=e1000b-21

Currently out of stock on fnac.com :

https://jeux-video.fnac.com/a107983...Nintendo-Switch-Jeu-Nintendo-Switch#int=S:Les

and in nearly every store in Paris (10/11).

It is a shame that we don't have concrete data but I think that this report shows us just how good the game is doing and how it benfits from the Holiday season.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Xeniblade 2 is also out of stock on amazon in France:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#1

It would pass Arms otherwise. It now seems sure it will land in the top 25 best selling games on amazon.fr in 2017, as soon as they restock.

Quite a hit there.

And on fnac.com :

https://jeux-video.fnac.com/a111467...tch-Jeu-Nintendo-Switch#st=xeno&ct=Rayons&t=p

+ 6 stores/11 in Paris.

The Switch HW and SW is doing really great since Odyssey's release after a calm period in August-October.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-20-gamesindustry-biz-presents-the-year-in-numbers-2017

2017 has been a busy year for the world of video games and it's nigh on impossible to quantify everything that has happened to the industry - but we've attempted to do so anyway.

714x-1

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
That BIU for Xbox really seems kinda same ol same ol(I mean isn't it just CODs and FIFAs with the exception of like Forza Horizon, Halo V, and GTA V?) Dont get me wrong it's decent amount of titles but I want to see some unexpected titles passed that mark German Xbox owners! :P
Congrats to the PS4(crazy how much it sells all around) and Switch(Mario, Splatoon 2, Zelda, and Mario Kart(I think Yoshi will get pass 100k in a year(did on Wii U).

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
27/Dec/2017

With the Christmas Chart over and the new year just around the corner, there are no new entries in the All Formats Chart, however entertainment software unit sales rise +29%, with Activision Blizzard's 'Call of Duty: WWII' leading the way yet again at No1 for the 8th successive time (+43%).

The last time this happened was all the way back in 2011 when 505 Games' 'Zumba Fitness' held the No1 spot 10 weeks running. EA hold the next 2 spots with 'Fifa 18' at No2 (+51) and 'Star Wars Battlefront II' at No3 (+26%), while sales for Ubisoft's 'Assassin's Creed' rise (+60%) as it climbs one place to No4. In its second week since launch, Microsoft's 'Playerunknown's Battleground' falls 4 places to No8 (-55%), paving the way for Rockstar/Take 2's 'GTA V' to climb 2 places and make the top 5 (+30%).

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
27/Dec/2017

With the Christmas Chart over and the new year just around the corner, there are no new entries in the All Formats Chart, however entertainment software unit sales rise +29%, with Activision Blizzard's 'Call of Duty: WWII' leading the way yet again at No1 for the 8th successive time (+43%).

The last time this happened was all the way back in 2011 when 505 Games' 'Zumba Fitness' held the No1 spot 10 weeks running. EA hold the next 2 spots with 'Fifa 18' at No2 (+51) and 'Star Wars Battlefront II' at No3 (+26%), while sales for Ubisoft's 'Assassin's Creed' rise (+60%) as it climbs one place to No4. In its second week since launch, Microsoft's 'Playerunknown's Battleground' falls 4 places to No8 (-55%), paving the way for Rockstar/Take 2's 'GTA V' to climb 2 places and make the top 5 (+30%).

GTAV will never die.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some impressive hold for PUBG.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
PUBG did 70k last week, so this week it is around 31,500 units.

Super Mario Odyssey is above PUBG in the ranking, so it sold over 31.5k.

Edit: PUBG actually did between 70k and 64k, so the range should be between 31.5k and 28.8k.

Last edited:

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
01 (01) CALL OF DUTY: WWII (ACTIVISION)
02 (02) FIFA 18 (EA SPORTS)
03 (03) STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT II (EA GAMES) - 88,316 (+26%)
04 (05) ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS (UBISOFT)
05 (07) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)
06 (10) CRASH BANDICOOT: N'SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)
07 (04) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
08 (04) PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUND (MICROSOFT)
09 (11) THE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (08) WWE 2K18 (TAKE 2)

Not much else for now unfortunately, I think.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Crash Bandicoot is a beast in the UK. I mean Crash is popular in Europe but it's a phenomenon in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.