• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Anthem have a better retail launch opening in the UK than Mass Effect: Andromeda?

• Yes

Votes: 132 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Anthem sold around 10% what Destiny sold in its first week. (UK Packaged sales comp)
hE525CD30

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't get what they're going for with the Access stuff. I probably would have bought the game but instead I had a free trial of Origin Access. 10 hour free trial of Anthem. Got to 7 hours before giving up due to bugged missions. A 10 hour trial is pretty much the whole game without a penny spent.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Andromeda sold more than double yes.
Andromeda itself was already nearly half of what ME3 sold in its first week.

Again. These are packaged sales comparisons and digital missing does skew the figures. Digital sales (which EA themselves say is approaching 50% of overall sales for them) are not counted. Nor is EA Access players. There were incentives to buy the digital ver. so I'd expect a really high digital share for the game.
Anthem sold around 10% what Destiny sold in its first week. (UK Packaged sales comp)
Yea this doesn't bode well for their targets for the game by end of FY... at all. That's a really poor showing for the launch of the game. The fact that it's selling less than Andromeda at retail is, frankly, shocking.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny debuted with 417k sales, so that puts Anthem at around 42k. For comparison, Resident Evil 2 just launched with 70k, KH3 with 67k, Far Cry and Metro about 25k last week.

God damn, I was thinking any launch that wasn't the best so far this year would be a disaster, but this is miles below even that mark. Well hey, at least it did 10x better than Crackdown 3.

Ice Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, even allowing for an extremely high digital split that is absolutely disastrous.

Poor Bioware. It's hard not to expect the worst at this point.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny debuted with 417k sales, so that puts Anthem at around 42k. For comparison, Resident Evil 2 just launched with 70k, KH3 with 67k, Far Cry and Metro about 25k last week.

God damn, I was thinking any launch that wasn't the best so far this year would be a disaster, but this is miles below even that mark. Well hey, at least it did 10x better than Crackdown 3.
Puts in perspective how BAD Crackdown 3's sales are

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
How high would you guys say week one needs to be, globally, to be considered a success? Like the minimum amount since obviously the more the better.

UK is a pretty small slice of the total pie... I think with digital+retail, globally, it will probably do ~2-2.5M units give or take.

I actually think their problem isn't going to be week one - I think that will land pretty high. But I think it could see a sharp week two drop and very poor player retention due to endgame shortcomings.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
People said Anthem will destroy everything in its wake last year. In hindsight I think Day's Gone would have been fine releasing this month. Hell I think it will outsell Anthem at launch.

I hope Metro is doing okay.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
How high would you guys say week one needs to be, globally, to be considered a success? Like the minimum amount since obviously the more the better.

UK is a pretty small slice of the total pie... I think with digital+retail, globally, it will probably do ~2-2.5M units give or take.

I actually think their problem isn't going to be week one - I think that will land pretty high. But I think it could see a sharp week two drop and very poor player retention due to endgame shortcomings.

Problem is EA expected 5M before end of March...

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
People said Anthem will destroy everything in its wake last year. In hindsight I think Day's Gone would have been fine releasing this month. Hell I think it will outsell Anthem at launch.

I actually think Days Gone will end up outselling Anthem and Crackdown combined by the end of their respective launch months. That's not a result nearly anyone would've expected even a few months ago. Just goes to show you how fickle and unpredictable the video game market can be. At this point with so many shifting forces in the market and upcoming changes sales forecasting is more luck than it is foresight.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

Well considering it needs minimum 5M by the end of March to be considered a success, I'd say first week needs to be 2.5M minimum as legs are going to be poor. It's useless trying to extrapolate UK to the rest of the world though, there's too many variables.

UK-wise though I think even being extremely generous digitally (let's say 70% digital sales) it's still less than a third of Destiny's debut, even if Destiny only had a 10% digital share.

Another comparison we can make is to BFV, which launched with 95k in its first week, more than double Anthem. In a very similar timeframe to which Anthem needs 5-6M, BFV sold 7.3M worldwide, except that had December sales instead of March to help it with legs.

Doesn't seem like 5M is likely to be achieved considering this, but it's pretty much impossible to tell at this point.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And you know what? Days Gone will ultimately maximize its sales (whatever those might be) BECAUSE Sony was willing to delay it a few times.

If Anthem fails, it may be because it had to be pushed out two months too early. Yes, many of the core problems would still be there, but the "Holy shit this game is broken!" stuff could be significantly remedied.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida

and Activision got rid of bungie. Hope for the best Bioware.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I wonder if EA build Anthem into something profitable like what happened with most GAAS or just can it

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think Days Gone will end up outselling Anthem and Crackdown combined by the end of their respective launch months. That's not a result nearly anyone would've expected even a few months ago. Just goes to show you how fickle and unpredictable the video game market can be. At this point with so many shifting forces in the market and upcoming changes sales forecasting is more luck than it is foresight.

Anthem and Crackdown 3 each got a 60 Metascore which is in the bottom 5% of AAA releases.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if EA build Anthem into something profitable like what happened with most GAAS or just can it

Not before the division comes out. And if at the very least the drop in drop out multi works and there are no 5 minute loading screens, it's pretty much a wrap for anthem.

If Days Gone reviews and sells well, every prediction thread we had last year that covered the first half of 2019 becomes null and invalid.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It'll probably get 6-12 months (there's already a 90 day roadmap) to turn itself around. The problem is this game is going to drop in price so hard really fast, so I have even less interest in buying it until it's like around ÂŁ10.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It'll probably get 6-12 months (there's already a 90 day roadmap) to turn itself around. The problem is this game is going to drop in price so hard really fast, so I have even less interest in buying it until it's like around ÂŁ10.

When did Destiny 2 come to PS+ ?
I think Anthem will probably follow even faster.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
We don't get any EA games in PS+. The last one was Plants vs Zombies if I remember correctly. But they did mention putting EA Access on another platform this year, so who knows.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much a year later, but that had a upcoming expansion that cost as much as a full priced game too. So that was Activision using PS+ for marketing it more than anything else I think.
I think Anthem will be in the ÂŁ10-ÂŁ15 range in a PSN sale before next year though. That seems to be EA's thing instead of putting stuff on PS+.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
UK sales are still physical only? it wasn't supposed it was going to include digital by 2019?