• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
R.I.P. Metal Gear. Good to see people not supporting rip off games. 85% fewer copies sold than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, according to Eurogamer.

I'm not one for wanting a game to bomb normally, especially a Metal Gear game but Survive is a cheap cash in on the Metal Gear name with it's horrible microtransactions and charging money for save slots, so in this case I'm not sad to see this flop.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did we have some Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance estimates? I remember something like 50,000 units, but I might be totally wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, I checked past Pal Chart threads and apparently it was way less than that.

wasn't it around 40k?.. seem to remember Crysis 3 beating it with 5.500 copies.. and crysis 3 was around 45k. that week..

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Fifa at top because of the Switch version ? What a time to be alive.

Good and expected legs on Bayo 2 - some people wanted to start their Doom & Gloom parties a bit too early last week.
A 19th place on second week don't seems like a good hold or a sign of legs, we are talking about very small numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Fifa at top because of the Switch version ? What a time to be alive.

Good and expected legs on Bayo 2 - some people wanted to start their Doom & Gloom parties a bit too early last week.

It's #19 with a 71% drop. Those aren't legs. If it had opened big, the percentage drop would've been fine. But it opened small and dropped big.

It's doing better than the Wii U version atleast.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's #19 with a 71% drop. Those aren't legs. If it had opened big, the percentage drop would've been fine. But it opened small and dropped big.

It's doing better than the Wii U version atleast.
Thats the point - no one is expecting it to compete with GTA, Fifa and co.
Its a port of a WiiU niche game that game out not too long ago at full price.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
MCV says FIFA was down 59% WoW but it looks like they made a typo. It's actually down 29%.

Survive had a terrible opening as expected. Not even 5% of what MGSV opened at.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the individual chart. You wouldn't think it was the UK charts with the lack of xbox one titles in the top 10

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
MCV says FIFA was down 59% WoW but it looks like they made a typo. It's actually down 29%.

https://www./threads/pal-charts-week-36-2015.1108094/#post-177823235

(95%)

[Week 36, 2015] METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (KONAMI) - 169,880 / NEW

PlayStation 4 - 122,314
Xbox One - 37,374
PlayStation 3 - 5,096
Xbox 360 - 3,398

This means that Metal Gear Survive sold less than 8,494 copies.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
But I was repsonding to your post about it having good and expected legs. It's not either or, doing better than the Wii U version doesn't automatically give you good legs.
"Good legs" is a relative phrase to begin with and always depends on the expectations to begin with. You wont expect the same kind of legs from a niche JRPG like you would for a mainstream blockbuster. Different kind of markets.

The physical chart position in addition to the eShop ranking and general digital performance of Bayo 2 paints a picture of it having better legs than the initial release - which is good for a port.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA Switch is doing really well with that price drop. With the World Cup coming up, I think this will be the best selling FIFA ever.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MGS was also really cheap. Like less than £25 cheap. Even a game like SotC was able to find decent success around that price on 1 platform in the U.K. so yeah I don't think MGS even can be called average.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Glad that Survive flopped. I'd hate for Konami to get the impression that people actually want zombies in their Metal Gear. Now go and remake MGS1.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just to note. When I said less than 5%, I was just using rough math. It's a lot lower.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Glad that Survive flopped. I'd hate for Konami to get the impression that people actually want zombies in their Metal Gear. Now go and remake MGS1.

I don't understand this.

Rightfully so it bombed due to crappy konami decisions yet you would automatically trust them with a mgs 1 remake?

Konami shouldn't touch metal gear again

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the split wouldn't you say it's number one because of the PS4 version?
My point was that the Top 5 games are all PS4/XB games for the most part....Fifa is the only big 3rdParty release with a Switch version and the extra units sold on Switch are what is keeping it at the Top spot compared to CoD,GTA and co.

Obv. the PS4 in general is the biggest SKU....Fifa is demonstrating right now why it can be attractive to expand your core market even if PS4/XBO already sell well. And from what we have heard so far for 2018 - Activision and Take 2 seem to agree.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Bayonetta drop looks better on the individual charts

Payday 2 is below Mario Rabbids on the Switch chart, so probably just missed out on a Top 40 place

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Good hold for Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus. Bayo will likely be gone by next week. I guess it did ok for a port.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand this.

Rightfully so it bombed due to crappy konami decisions yet you would automatically trust them with a mgs 1 remake?

Konami shouldn't touch metal gear again

No I wouldn't trust them but it's not like I'd be the person funding it. If they get it right then I'll buy it, if they don't then it's there problem and has no impact on me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Will we see a graph that splits MG:Survive sales in:

Genuine Interest / Morbid Curiosity / Ignorance that this isn't really an actual "Metal Gear Solid" game.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You have to wonder how valuable the Metal Gear IP is to Konami and whether they're better off selling it to another publisher.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A new Fifa always in production... For MGSurvive I think was expected too.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Week 7 France
1.Kingdom Come Deliverance
PS4
2.Dragon Ball: FighterZ PS4
3.Monster Hunter World PS4
4.Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Nintendo Switch
5.Bayonetta 2 Nintendo Switch